• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An insane UCS style Landspeeder moc by Aaron Fiskum.

https://flic.kr/p/qwh3Ct

X23ZfS5.png

And on topic the money shot, underneat is superb and shows the stand.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I put together all of my Series 4 Mixels, so I figured I would share some better pics.

bWL6QC5.jpg

Infernites - Burnard, Meltus, Flamzer

DTsEW3f.jpg

Glowkies - Boogly, Globert, Vampos

1RrPvJG.jpg

Orbitrons - Rokit, Niksput, Nurp-Naut

My favorite out of the bunch is easily Niksput. He's got five ball joints on him (arms, legs, and upper jaw), giving him tons of poseability and personality. Second favorite is probably Boogly. I'm a bit disappointed with Meltus--I love his baby T-rex form and his eyebrows are fantastic, but the lack of an opening mouth definitely hinders him a bit. His neck can move up and down, but...ehh.

Oh, did I mention that you can also transform Niksput into a simple Minifigure flying platform? Because you totally can.

ZoklDvR.jpg

I really, really like Mixels.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Fantastic update on the new Mixels - thanks!

Does Globert's large eye glow-in-the-dark?

Yeah, with the Glowkies, all of their eyes glow in the dark (minus the pupils, of course). I was thinking that maybe some of their teeth or toes would glow, but nope, just the eyes. Still pretty cool, though, and obviously the most impressive on Globert.

Yeah, with the Glowkies, all of their eyes glow in the dark (minus the pupils, of course). I was thinking that maybe some of their teeth or toes would glow, but nope, just the eyes. Still pretty cool, though, and obviously the most impressive on Globert.

Are the lower teeth a new piece on that short round guy?

Somewhat related, I found a 1x1 tooth piece in my collection that glows in the dark. No idea how it ended up there.

It turns out that the store I checked on Monday AND Tuesday got the S13 figures on Wednesday. Typical. Now I need to check back and hope that everything interesting hasn't been grabbed already.

There's also a rumour of heavy Sea Cow price drops at the chain another shop here belongs to. I think I should stop by, just in case.

robochimp

Pet Shop is all done, there is no going back.

I'll probably grab the Detective Agency next, it looks like more fun for my son than Parisian Restaurant.

I put together all of my Series 4 Mixels, so I figured I would share some better pics.

1RrPvJG.jpg

Orbitrons - Rokit, Niksput, Nurp-Naut

My favorite out of the bunch is easily Niksput. He's got five ball joints on him (arms, legs, and upper jaw), giving him tons of poseability and personality. Second favorite is probably Boogly. I'm a bit disappointed with Meltus--I love his baby T-rex form and his eyebrows are fantastic, but the lack of an opening mouth definitely hinders him a bit. His neck can move up and down, but...ehh.

Oh, did I mention that you can also transform Niksput into a simple Minifigure flying platform? Because you totally can.

I really, really like Mixels.

Looking forward to getting those, but I'm very disappointed that the 4x4 dome pieces are trans black and not trans clear. Not a deal breaker at all, but I would have bought a lot more multiples of the Orbitrons. Trans clear hemisphere is too pricey for me to rationalaize buying buying on Bricklink, but would have been awesome to get some and have awesome Mixels too. Oh well...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=86500

They have quietly discounted more sets.

Found that red/purple Friends Stable/Barn thing for $25 ($100 MSRP) and the movie dropship for $70 ($100 MSRP). People seemed to like the latter so I bit.

mrkgoo

I love the mixers and feel bummed I didncompelte my series 2 and 3 while they were out. I simply couldn't afford to get them all at once, and just got one here and there, but was too slow and they EOLed.

What bums me out on top of that is I know someone who is an and toy collector and has tracked down multiples of the ones I'd like, hasn't opened them and probably never will, like maybe for collecting or investing? I dunno.

I just want to play with them. :(

In other news I got a hotdog guy and unicorn girl for latest series. Hard to find, even though they just came out. A few stores around here will pre feel them for you and number the bags, but these two always se to be gone.

melike75

Neo Member
Can anyone suggest any blogs or sites that regularly go through and review older LEGO sets? I found one recently - Gimme Lego that I've been enjoying going through the archives.

I know youtube is filled with this sort of stuff but I prefer to read than to watch.

Or, failing that, what other LEGO sites does everyone read and keep up with regularly besides here?

Thanks for any answers!

Ravek

Banned
It turns out that the store I checked on Monday AND Tuesday got the S13 figures on Wednesday. Typical. Now I need to check back and hope that everything interesting hasn't been grabbed already.

There's also a rumour of heavy Sea Cow price drops at the chain another shop here belongs to. I think I should stop by, just in case.

The day the Sea Cow gets to $200 in the states, its mine. Budget be damned.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wow these are just amazing. I love race cars but don't represent well in Lego form but with new Speed champion series coming out these would be perfect fit. I hope it get enough support.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/87703

Yeah, those are really great. A Caterham Seven has been my dream car for years, so I'd be all over that set if it was released.

Which building? The pet shop or the town home?

The town home. I'm almost finished with the first set of bags. I plan to take my time with the set (like I do with most Lego sets), so it'll probably take me quite a few more days to complete the whole set.

Caladrius

Went to get one of the new Barnacle sets today.

I forgot how horribly outdated my local Toys R Us was. I saw maybe 2-3 2015 sets, and none of them belonged to the same line as one another.

They still have an entire shelf of Galaxy squad sets (still at 30% off from when I went there last time) and they had a whole line of the promotional sets from late last year.

I wasn't sure whether or not it was depressing or hilarious.

At least that means it should be easy to get older sets should they ever have a sale on them. I saw some of last year's Halo Megabloks sets for 1/4th off too. Was thinking of getting the Spartan minfiugre box, but I realized that'd probably be on the shelf for awhile longer (they had like 8 in stock).

mrkgoo

Went to get one of the new Barnacle sets today.

I forgot how horribly outdated my local Toys R Us was. I saw maybe 2-3 2015 sets, and none of them belonged to the same line as one another.

They still have an entire shelf of Galaxy squad sets (still at 30% off from when I went there last time) and they had a whole line of the promotional sets from late last year.

I wasn't sure whether or not it was depressing or hilarious.

At least that means it should be easy to get older sets should they ever have a sale on them. I saw some of last year's Halo Megabloks sets for 1/4th off too. Was thinking of getting the Spartan minfiugre box, but I realized that'd probably be on the shelf for awhile longer (they had like 8 in stock).

I think it's cool to have a shop out of touch. It means you have a secret place to go to get clearance or EOL sets.

My sister went through some little township that had a toy shop selling series 3,4 and 5 mini figs maybe a year or so ago.

And today I go to a local place near where I live and their first box of series 13'on day 1 - empty.

Lego popularity must be at an all time high right now.

robochimp

Yeah, those are really great. A Caterham Seven has been my dream car for years, so I'd be all over that set if it was released.

The town home. I'm almost finished with the first set of bags. I plan to take my time with the set (like I do with most Lego sets), so it'll probably take me quite a few more days to complete the whole set.

My son and I just did one set of numbered bags per day, by the end he was putting on so many more pieces than when we started he did most of the top of the Pet Shop building. He is three and a half.

Ponn

Banned
My son and I just did one set of numbered bags per day, by the end he was putting on so many more pieces than when we started he did most of the top of the Pet Shop building. He is three and a half.

The age on the box is a suggestion. They have to put it there.

Second floor has my favorite lil touch.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Am I a terrible person for enjoying the Hero Factory Beasts more than these new Bionicle sets? I love how crazy and unique each Beast is.

Maybe it's because I got the awesome Queen Beast on clearance at Target for super cheap.

Caladrius

I think it's cool to have a shop out of touch. It means you have a secret place to go to get clearance or EOL sets.

My sister went through some little township that had a toy shop selling series 3,4 and 5 mini figs maybe a year or so ago.

And today I go to a local place near where I live and their first box of series 13'on day 1 - empty.

Lego popularity must be at an all time high right now.

Yeah, it's convenient for the dry gaming months. My toy purchases are almost all in the summer.

Am I a terrible person for enjoying the Hero Factory Beasts more than these new Bionicle sets? I love how crazy and unique each Beast is.

Maybe it's because I got the awesome Queen Beast on clearance at Target for super cheap.

They're not bad. Translucent and head pieces as well as the articulation are nice. Pity they have to stick in so much black though. For me most of the reason to get additional CCBS sets are for more colored pieces.

Naw. Each has its own appeal much like LEGO System sets have different themes.

I want those sets for the "minifig" Heroes, but it seems like they are mostly gone. @ around $5 each for the minifig Heroes on Bricklink, I may has well by some of the $10 sets to get them.

I like some of the hero factory sets, but to me overall they feel lame. The last run with the minifigure heroes and beasts is the best they've had in the series with the 2.0 animals a close second.

Caladrius

I like some of the hero factory sets, but to me overall they feel lame. The last run with the minifigure heroes and beasts is the best they've had in the series with the 2.0 animals a close second.

I liked the breakout sets the most. Loved a lot of the new pieces that year introduced, and liked how they did something different without modifying the core HF aesthetic too much. Savage Planet had some fine sets (Witch doctor was probably my overall favorite villain set), but I didn't like having animal motifs for the robots (even if the lore did justify it). The introduction of Pearl Gold was nice though.

Didn't like 1.0 and Brain Attack at all. The former could be excused as growing pains, but the lack of color in a lot of the brain attack sets and the brain casing gimmicks were execrable.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
package2qkws.png

Yes, I can almost taste it. Volkswagen is coming soon~

Does the Lego Store automatically convert currency? I plan on getting Mini Cooper eventually, but it's expensive in Amazon. I use a Visa card and I thought it'd auto-convert.

ITo quote from the wonderful Film Critic Hulk...
And we see this a lot. The concept of "the special" is the icky part of the hero's journey, a prophecy of a "chosen one" born into heroism. But then we see that Emmett isn't born the special and that Vitruvius just made the prophecy up. Emmett isn't a lego minifigure designed to be a hero like Batman; he was just a construction worker (as Will Ferrell points out) who became a hero through his choice to learn new things and help others, culminating in his sacrifice in Lord Business's Tower. The Lego Movie is about how every person is like Emmett and has that ability to be a hero, to be "the special". The end battle has the entire city go wild building creative things, every background character having their chance to be the hero with the talents they have not yet expressed. Even Lord Business, the villain, has that potential within himself. And all of this is a metaphor for the real life conflict of the boy and his father. The dad's controlling nature means he doesn't feel anyone should be able to build with his legos, and the kid is trying to prove that everyone should enjoy that ability.

Plus, it's hilarious. I can't emphasize this enough, The Lego Movie is one of the best comedies I've ever seen. The delivery of jokes is blisteringly quick, and no joke comes across as particularly forced. My entire theater was laughing uproariously at "the Kragle" and "the Sword of Exact Zero".

Oh it's hilarious I'll give you that, but the middle part still is cringey as fuck.

And I'd argue that the same thing that you mentioned has been done repeatedly as well, and if anything it comes across as forced towards the end (suddenly everyone can think out of the box even if they made it a point that it takes a while do it) and the "real life reflections" feel out of the way as an attempt to look meaningful. And honestly it feels like that's a bait people are using/taking whenever the movie is mentioned.

It's here!

Shaana_03.jpg

I guess it was inevitable. I’ve been creating new versions of Shaana in practically every medium since I first came up with her in 1995. She’s been in tons of games, I’ve made big and small plastic models, a Ral Partha miniature and a 1:6 scale doll. And when I returned to Lego, she was one of the first custom minifigs I created. I’ve even made a Friends minidoll out of her. So when the new, smaller balljoints were introduced with the Mixels theme in 2014, I started thinking about building my own, large scale Shaana, inspired by all the cool, posable mechs that Lego create.

Shaana_04.jpg

This is built entirely from existing parts (except the cloak). The Agents theme turned out to be the key to getting the silver parts I needed. She is highly posable, relatively sturdy and pretty damn big (35 cm).

I'm very happy with how this turned out. In fact, I'm so happy that I'll give her a shot on Lego Ideas. I'll let you know when it has been accepted.

Shaana_08.jpg

More pictures and the build story here.

It's here!

Shaana_03.jpg

I guess it was inevitable. I’ve been creating new versions of Shaana in practically every medium since I first came up with her in 1995. She’s been in tons of games, I’ve made big and small plastic models, a Ral Partha miniature and a 1:6 scale doll. And when I returned to Lego, she was one of the first custom minifigs I created. I’ve even made a Friends minidoll out of her. So when the new, smaller balljoints were introduced with the Mixels theme in 2014, I started thinking about building my own, large scale Shaana, inspired by all the cool, posable mechs that Lego create.

Shaana_04.jpg

This is built entirely from existing parts (except the cloak). The Agents theme turned out to be the key to getting the silver parts I needed. She is highly posable, relatively sturdy and pretty damn big (35 cm).

I'm very happy with how this turned out. In fact, I'm so happy that I'll give her a shot on Lego Ideas. I'll let you know when it has been accepted.

Shaana_08.jpg

More pictures and the build story here.
Awesome. Love the hair

Rootbeer

Banned
Dag nabbit I need me some new Mixels :)

I hope they stock them soon. I checked some stores on Thursday and they didn't have them yet.

The Fairground Mixer might be the best Lego set I have ever assembled. The set does not get nearly enough attention. Smart, clever, colorful, and solid. The gear functions are simple, but effective. There are 12 minifigs, 2 vehicles, and loads of attention to detail in every separate structure in the set. It looks great folded up on their respective vehicles or on full display. The glow in the dark pieces take it to a whole other level. I'll post pics soon. I have a feeling the super heroes want a day out...

I can't wait for the rumored Ferris Wheel announcement. Day 1.

Edit: If you go back and check out Jang and The Brick Show on Youtube, they also have glowing reviews of this set. Jason from The Brick Show says it's one of the greatest sets of all time, and I agree with him.

Jang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7oxngedF10

Brick Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5vLwyJXxA

Ryuuroden

The Fairground Mixer might be the best Lego set I have ever assembled. The set does not get nearly enough attention. Smart, clever, colorful, and solid. The gear functions are simple, but effective. There are 12 minifigs, 2 vehicles, and loads of attention to detail in every separate structure in the set. It looks great folded up on their respective vehicles or on full display. The glow in the dark pieces take it to a whole other level. I'll post pics soon. I have a feeling the super heroes want a day out...

Edit: If you go back and check out Jang and The Brick Show on Youtube, they also have glowing reviews of this set. Jason from The Brick Show says it's one of the greatest sets of all time, and I agree with him.

It was in my top 5 of last year.

That and Sandcrawler are the only major sets from last year I still need. Well, AT-AT and Star Destroyer as well.

And just finished the Birds set. The only way I can really describe the entire thing is that it is classy.

Classy packaging. Classy instruction manuals (even if you waste 14 pages in each with the intros in multiple languages). Classy looking models.

The hummingbird was the weakest build of them all, but the flower looks fantastic.
The blue jay is obviously the star of the set.

However, it does bug me that LEGO can print up the name plaques for this set yet can't for $200 sets. I know it is really logistics because they probably did a set run of this and that is the only time they need to print the parts, where with UCS sets and the like they might have to keep going back to print more, but still. It feels wrong to get nice printed pieces in a $45 set when a $200+ one has tons of stickers, and some for totally normal pieces.

ericb!

Neo Member
The Fairground Mixer might be the best Lego set I have ever assembled. The set does not get nearly enough attention. Smart, clever, colorful, and solid. The gear functions are simple, but effective. There are 12 minifigs, 2 vehicles, and loads of attention to detail in every separate structure in the set. It looks great folded up on their respective vehicles or on full display.

I concur, the Fairground Mixer is great. I'm happy the LEGO Amusements line is expanding with the upcoming Ferris Wheel.

Speaking of the Ferris Wheel, I recommend 'The Devil in the White City' to fans of nonfiction.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21996.The_Devil_in_the_White_City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom