• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

Out of all the new Bionicle figures which do you recommend?

The three 20$US sets are hard to go wrong with (Though of those three I'd prioritize Kopaka and Tahu for a nice supply of gold and Trans-cyan ) Of the 15$ dollar ones I'd say Gali and to a lesser extent Pohatu. Gali has the most pieces after Lewa at that price point (IIRC), on top of having a solid, simple color scheme (and trans-blue pieces!). Pohatu has a color almost never seen in CCBS sets, so he's worth it for those parts alone, he's also probably the most flexible out of all of them due to how lightly armored he is.

Lewa isn't bad, but you have to do some finagling in order to give him an acceptable degree of head articulation. The default instructions make his head practically unposeable. If you get him, make sure to attach the gear/arm chassis so that the bottom peg is parallel to the ball socket the abdominal/chest armor attaches to. The default instructions have the Gear chassis too high. This makes the gearbox combined with the shoulder armor restrict his head articulation severely and makes it nearly impossible to move it even slightly without accidentally flipping his mask off (which is still a bit of a problem with the other sets, but not nearly as badly). That and I'm personally not very fond of his color scheme (Pastel Orangey-Yellow and pearl silver together are yucky when neither is the primary color. The gunmetal weapons and relative lack of green don't help).

I have no idea about the protectors.

Out of all the new Bionicle figures which do you recommend?

Tahu is my favorite. His ninja swords on his back are very cool looking and make his figure pretty unique. His color scheme is the best in my opinion too (Red X Gold X little bit of Silver).

Gali is my second favorite, simply because of her awesome, massive trident and that she has the second best color scheme to me (Light blue X Gunmetal grey X Yellow).

Kopaka is my third, he overall looks great but the only slight problem I have with him is that there's too much gold in his torso area which kind of messes up his color scheme. Besides that he's awesome.

Overall those three could be interchanged and it wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Ponn

Banned
So realistically if we don't get a Helicarrier announce this weekend when would be the next chance? Isn't it kind of weird if this is going to be a VIP early access next month they haven't announced yet? Are we for certain this is the VIP early access next month even, because I could understand them waiting for the Avengers movie to release it.

ghostmind

So realistically if we don't get a Helicarrier announce this weekend when would be the next chance? Isn't it kind of weird if this is going to be a VIP early access next month they haven't announced yet? Are we for certain this is the VIP early access next month even, because I could understand them waiting for the Avengers movie to release it.

If it doesn't happen tonight, then it could be any day, as LEGO has often used events for reveals, but not always.

Helicarrier is the VIP early access set for mid-February. It's been confirmed via the leaked 2015 plans, so unless LEGO radically alters their plan (which I don't see them doing), the release will proceed as scheduled.

Toxi

Banned
Lewa isn't bad, but you have to do some finagling in order to give him an acceptable degree of head articulation. The default instructions make his head practically unposeable. If you get him, make sure to attach the gear/arm chassis so that the bottom peg is parallel to the ball socket the abdominal/chest armor attaches to. The default instructions have the Gear chassis too high. This makes the gearbox combined with the shoulder armor restrict his head articulation severely and makes it nearly impossible to move it even slightly without accidentally flipping his mask off (which is still a bit of a problem with the other sets, but not nearly as badly). That and I'm personally not very fond of his color scheme (Pastel Orangey-Yellow and pearl silver together are yucky when neither is the primary color. The gunmetal weapons and relative lack of green don't help).

I have no idea about the protectors.
I really love the color scheme on Lewa.

The head articulation is a problem, so I'll try your suggestion.

Tahu is my favorite. His ninja swords on his back are very cool looking and make his figure pretty unique. His color scheme is the best in my opinion too (Red X Gold X little bit of Silver).

Gali is my second favorite, simply because of her awesome, massive trident and that she has the second best color scheme to me (Light blue X Gunmetal grey X Yellow).

Kopaka is my third, he overall looks great but the only slight problem I have with him is that there's too much gold in his torso area which kind of messes up his color scheme. Besides that he's awesome.

Overall those three could be interchanged and it wouldn't really make much of a difference.

That sounds like most peoples opinions which I have to agree with from little that I know.

I do find that I like alot in each of the Toa, but there are definitely standouts. I like what they did with Pohatu quite a bit; he feels very armored up even with it just being recoloring.

I'm curious what are people's favorite Protectors though? I only have Earth and Stone so far though, but really liking the Stone one more.

mrkgoo

The Fairground Mixer might be the best Lego set I have ever assembled. The set does not get nearly enough attention. Smart, clever, colorful, and solid. The gear functions are simple, but effective. There are 12 minifigs, 2 vehicles, and loads of attention to detail in every separate structure in the set. It looks great folded up on their respective vehicles or on full display. The glow in the dark pieces take it to a whole other level. I'll post pics soon. I have a feeling the super heroes want a day out...

I can't wait for the rumored Ferris Wheel announcement. Day 1.

Edit: If you go back and check out Jang and The Brick Show on Youtube, they also have glowing reviews of this set. Jason from The Brick Show says it's one of the greatest sets of all time, and I agree with him.

Jang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7oxngedF10

Brick Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5vLwyJXxA

Interesting. I usually don't like players especially with loads of little "sections" and parts... Even passed it on clearance. I'll give it another consideration.

Ryuuroden

More age of ultron set info.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-mar...gers-age-of-ultron-set-descriptions-spoilers/

here is the pic again for anyone who forgot :3

The only thing in that list I will definitely get is the new Quinjet. It looks sexy and I don't have any of the super heroes in it. I have started to pick up some of the better known superheroes for my city display and stuff.

Also, just watched The LEGO Movie again while finishing the last movie set left that I hadn't built yet, the Construction Mech. It is an alright set. I am dedicating a single shelf of my Vittsjo to my favorite LEGO Movie sets. Eventually when I figure out how to have my Spaceship flying at an angle over the rest of the sets I will take pictures. I mean I have an idea how to obviously, but I have to make it look classy :) So the only sets I have left to get are the new movie sets that just came out this month. Probably the largest theme now that I will have 100% complete if you do not count the polybags.

Looks like the same Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man in every set through this series.

I'm happy to see what appears to be a silver sleeved Thor instead of simply another grey.

Ponn

Banned
If it doesn't happen tonight, then it could be any day, as LEGO has often used events for reveals, but not always.

Helicarrier is the VIP early access set for mid-February. It's been confirmed via the leaked 2015 plans, so unless LEGO radically alters their plan (which I don't see them doing), the release will proceed as scheduled.

I'm still debating getting it early access in FEB or not. None of the promos intrigue me but not sure i can wait till March, and worse risk it being oos for a long time like the Tumbler.

Man i'm still bummed they are locking Quicksilver in that ho-hum set that you know is going to be overpriced due to the Hulk big fig. That Quinjet set though looks really good with Vision and still thinking i'm going to pick up two of the Avengers Tower sets to make a bigger one.

Ryuuroden

Missed out on the first Quinjet, not gonna miss out on this second one. I hope it has max swooshability.

Yeah, another reason I am getting it is cause I missed out the first time. I have to make hard choices which sets to get sometimes and while it was out, my money was being spent on other themes. It is one of the decisions I regretted and I am glad I am getting a 2nd chance.

Missed out on the first Quinjet, not gonna miss out on this second one. I hope it has max swooshability.

Yeah, another reason I am getting it is cause I missed out the first time. I have to make hard choices which sets to get sometimes and while it was out, my money was being spent on other themes. It is one of the decisions I regretted and I am glad I am getting a 2nd chance.

It will be interesting to see what is the same and different between the the first Quinjet and the second Quinjet.

It will be interesting to see what is the same and different between the the first Quinjet and the second Quinjet.

The cockpit looks like it attaches in a similar manner, and the ends of the wings look more stable compared to the first one.

It also appears that the angles on the front of the wings are achieved in a similar fashion to how they were on the Milano.

And is this another Bessa set? If so, where will the fire extinguisher be?

Ryuuroden

From my experience with the Star Wars theme, 9 times out of 10, the 2nd set is superior to the first set and the 3rd and beyond are usually about equal to the 2nd edition just might be better in some ways and worse in others. Like I will use the Trade Federation MTT as an example. I own the first version from like the year 2000 and I have seen the instructions and final look of the 2nd edition as well as this new 3rd one and I have to say, the 2nd Edition is the best version.

This also goes for the Sandcrawler, the 2nd AT-AT (Motorized version), The 2nd AT-TE, Republic Gunship 2nd version and beyond, Advanced Tie version 2 and behind, regular Tie 2 and beyond, etc. Some of this is due to the first version being from the early 2000's but not always. I don't think it really matters when the first one was made, the 2nd one seems to work out the minuses the first version had. As shown by the MTT, once you get beyond the 2nd version, sometimes they get worse again :)

EDIT: I have to add the 2nd Slave 1 regular version to this list of 2nd addition being fantatic. I own both and I just took apart the 2nd version since there's a UCS now.

EDIT 2: I am constantly telling myself that since I own 2 copies of the original MTT, I need to figure out what else I need to build that 2nd version because I want it as part of my trade federation army display shelf. I don't have the 1st version on display because it is pretty dated looking. Hell, the oldest star wars set I still had on display till like a month ago when I took it apart was the original Naboo Starfighter. I took it apart when I was doing my mass sorting because I saw a new one was coming out.

wetwired

Progress on ET, he's all painted now, gonna leave it cure a bit while I work on the designs for the eyes and torso.

stage2.jpg

From my experience with the Star Wars theme, 9 times out of 10, the 2nd set is superior to the first set and the 3rd and beyond are usually about equal to the 2nd edition just might be better in some ways and worse in others. Like I will use the Trade Federation MTT as an example. I own the first version from like the year 2000 and I have seen the instructions and final look of the 2nd edition as well as this new 3rd one and I have to say, the 2nd Edition is the best version.

This also goes for the Sandcrawler, the 2nd AT-AT (Motorized version), The 2nd AT-TE, Republic Gunship 2nd version and beyond, Advanced Tie version 2 and behind, regular Tie 2 and beyond, etc. Some of this is due to the first version being from the early 2000's but not always. I don't think it really matters when the first one was made, the 2nd one seems to work out the minuses the first version had. As shown by the MTT, once you get beyond the 2nd version, sometimes they get worse again :)

EDIT: I have to add the 2nd Slave 1 regular version to this list of 2nd addition being fantatic. I own both and I just took apart the 2nd version since there's a UCS now.

EDIT 2: I am constantly telling myself that since I own 2 copies of the original MTT, I need to figure out what else I need to build that 2nd version because I want it as part of my trade federation army display shelf.
The key difference with the impending Quinjet 2 is that it is a totally different model of ship in the movie compared to the first one. With the Star Wars sets they are just refinements and variant builds to the same core ship.

TripOpt55

I missed LEGO, so I picked up a small set. Creator Red Creatures. Built the Snake today. Will try the others out some time this week. Bought it for the dragon mostly. Really liked the look of the Rainforest Animals one too. Might grab it soon.

Finally put away most of the pieces from the disassembled Sydney Opera House. Ugh. My storage units are almost full now, and I have Simpsons House and maybe others to put in. It didn't help that the set had massive quantities of colors I didn't have in bulk before, so the sorting system is out of whack again.

I think it is time to buy more storage stuff as well as refine it more. It never ends. It is sad, but running out of space for it all is making me question getting sets, because I don't know where to put them now.

Just means I will have to improvise.

Ryuuroden

Just finished my latest set on my small set backlog building spree. This time it was the Mandalorian Speeder that I got for 12 dollars on clearance several months back. It is a simple yet sexy little set. It has some very nice angles on it and will definitely be staying together and going on shelf display. I may start a Land Speeder display section at some point, lol.

I picked up Parisian Restaurant with VIP points today. My wife and I are going to divide the build while listening to albums on vinyl and drinking beer.

I picked up Parisian Restaurant with VIP points today. My wife and I are going to divide the build while listening to albums on vinyl and drinking beer.
The nice thing about that one is there is a manual per set of bags. So you both can do a floor on your own.

Once you get to Detective Office though, it is just one huge manual.

This sounds like an amazing night. My wife just fell asleep while putting the kids to bed so I am evaluating what to build. I'm thinking either Birds or the Umbarran MHC thing.

Important question: what albums?

Important question #2: are you familiar with a local establishment in your area called "Talk of the Town"? I have no idea if it's still there but it's been the source of a lot of laughs with friends. I think it's near the Regal cinemas near Grand Island.

So um what store can I find Anakin's Custom Jedi Starfighter at? Last SW set I need for the spring.

I haven't seen it either. This is why I was asking if we'll get any new SW sets before May....I've already bought most of the last couple of waves & would prefer not to have to resort to the giant SW sets on May 4.

I just put together put together the Iron Man Malibu mansion, now I want a modern design modular, Art Gallery with a condo on top?

That's a tight little build, but I can't help but wonder how much better it could have been if they'd doubled the piece count. Most sets work very well the way they are but the Mansion is one that seems like it should be bigger. You should MOC up a modular building with a Tony Stark apartment on the top!

This sounds like an amazing night. My wife just fell asleep while putting the kids to bed so I am evaluating what to build. I'm thinking either Birds or the Umbarran MHC thing.

Important question: what albums?

Important question #2: are you familiar with a local establishment in your area called "Talk of the Town"? I have no idea if it's still there but it's been the source of a lot of laughs with friends. I think it's near the Regal cinemas near Grand Island.

You'll appreciate the first one: The Tragically Hip "Fully Completely" and Jeff Buckley "Grace".

Never heard of it, but I'll do some research.

ghostmind

Set 75087 so far has not shown up at any US retailer, save for LEGO itself. Originally, it was believed to be a Walmart exclusive, since Target has 75085 and TRU has 75086. I picked up the set this past week from S@H.

The next Star Wars wave is due early than normal, to accommodate the special third wave this year, but I believe it is officially June, so I wouldn't expect to see them for the May 4th event. We should get further confirmation of this at the NY Toy Fair.

Woorloog

Banned
That "special third wave" being The Force Awakens sets most likely, no?

I think the new X-Wing will be among them. The X-Wing was among the first original sets after all, it would be fitting the new film's sets include it once again.

ghostmind

That "special third wave" being The Force Awakens sets most likely, no?

I think the new X-Wing will be among them. The X-Wing was among the first original sets after all, it would be fitting the new film's sets include it once again.

Yes, the Force Awakens sets are due to be released in September, and the new X-Wing and Millennium Falcon are rumoured to be among them.

You'll appreciate the first one: The Tragically Hip "Fully Completely" and Jeff Buckley "Grace".

Never heard of it, but I'll do some research.

Considering Wheat Kings is the only Hip song I like, you've chosen well! Great (and very sad) song. Take pics once you've finished...thread needs more pics.

Set 75087 so far has not shown up at any US retailer, save for LEGO itself. Originally, it was believed to be a Walmart exclusive, since Target has 75085 and TRU has 75086. I picked up the set this past week from S@H.

The next Star Wars wave is due early than normal, to accommodate the special third wave this year, but I believe it is officially June, so I wouldn't expect to see them for the May 4th event. We should get further confirmation of this at the NY Toy Fair.

Thanks Ghostmind. Do you think 75087 is going to come to retail or should I order it from S@H?

ghostmind

Thanks Ghostmind. Do you think 75087 is going to come to retail or should I order it from S@H?

I think it could still come to retail eventually, but if you aren't in a rush to get it, why not save it to use towards getting the May 4th promo from S@H? I only picked it up this early because I always get the retailer exclusives ASAP out of habit.

Score! Meijer finally marked their clearance down some more. Got Family House Creator set (with a damaged as all hell box) and Ultra Agent HQ for $100 after tax. Money I shouldn't have spent!

I think it could still come to retail eventually, but if you aren't in a rush to get it, why not save it to use towards getting the May 4th promo from S@H? I only picked it up this early because I always get the retailer exclusives ASAP out of habit.

Great point. I have only recently started using S@H so it's probably my best bet. Thanks!

Weird, isn't Galaxy Squad new?
No it's couple years old now. Late 2012 I think right when I came out of Dark Age. Pretty old by toys standard. A lot of nice ships in that theme but I find Ultra Agent to have much better villiqns. Bugs are all generic and boring.

TRU by me still have few on clearance including Hive Crawler.

Because there's a UCS TIE better suited for that promotion.

Is that the first Asajj Ventress without ugly Clone War eyes? That is a must have. Dang, she has a nasty scowl though. She must be vicious.

pJMUDdN.png

Galaxy Squad is now officially a retired theme, and has been removed from S@H.

c00QCJB.png

16119454819_ee23c26887.jpg

R.I.P. Retire In Peace Galaxy Squad. by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

16304746472_162b850c51.jpg

R.I.P. Retire In Peace Galaxy Squad. by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

I better do one last sweep for cheap Galaxy Squad minifigs on Bricklink....

Ok so, update on the Desert Skiff situation.

The coworker and I worked together today, and one of the first things he did when he came in was say he had to talk to me. When things died down he told me that the manager was gonna put the set back out on the shelf so he bought it to keep it safe. He said he hadn't opened it and asked if I still wanted it. I told him that was super cool of him to do and that I wasn't too concerned about the set, if he wanted it it was his. We both really just wanted it for Boba Fett but he's an actual Star Wars fan, and it was cool of him to snag the set for me, so I wanted him to have it.

I'm glad I didn't get too pissed about it and waited to hear his side of the story. He's always been a nice dude and him just grabbing it for himself seemed way out of character.

IN OTHER NEWS!

Last night I was moving some sets around on my new shelves, and I put my modulars (Grand Emporium and Town Hall) on the top shelf of one of the units. The shelves are wide enough to fit 3 modulars perfectly, but I only have the two... I started decorating them with super heroes and I rememberd that I have the Daily Bugle set in my backlog. I built it and stuck it next to Town Hall and...

MAN is it pathetic. I gotta grab another modular ASAP, sheeeeesh.

Gonna use those turbines from Dr Doom's ship to MOC the hover features into the Quinjet! Anyone know if there are instructions for such a thing readily available online or should I just hack away at it myself?

The Fairground Mixer might be the best Lego set I have ever assembled. The set does not get nearly enough attention. Smart, clever, colorful, and solid. The gear functions are simple, but effective. There are 12 minifigs, 2 vehicles, and loads of attention to detail in every separate structure in the set. It looks great folded up on their respective vehicles or on full display. The glow in the dark pieces take it to a whole other level. I'll post pics soon. I have a feeling the super heroes want a day out...

I can't wait for the rumored Ferris Wheel announcement. Day 1.

Edit: If you go back and check out Jang and The Brick Show on Youtube, they also have glowing reviews of this set. Jason from The Brick Show says it's one of the greatest sets of all time, and I agree with him.

Jang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7oxngedF10

Brick Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5vLwyJXxA

I absolutely LOVE this set but I believe I read somewhere that it's not selling well. I think it's because the best part about the set, how everything creatively folds up and can be loaded onto two trucks, is lost when kids and adults see it displayed in the stores. They need this displayed next to a small tv screen running the Lego Design video on a loop. Watching that video was how I was hooked into buying this set.

Hey WordAssassin, can you let us know if the Fairground Mixer sells well or not in your store? Thanks!

Ok so, update on the Desert Skiff situation.

The coworker and I worked together today, and one of the first things he did when he came in was say he had to talk to me. When things died down he told me that the manager was gonna put the set back out on the shelf so he bought it to keep it safe. He said he hadn't opened it and asked if I still wanted it. I told him that was super cool of him to do and that I wasn't too concerned about the set, if he wanted it it was his. We both really just wanted it for Boba Fett but he's an actual Star Wars fan, and it was cool of him to snag the set for me, so I wanted him to have it.

I'm glad I didn't get too pissed about it and waited to hear his side of the story. He's always been a nice dude and him just grabbing it for himself seemed way out of character.

IN OTHER NEWS!

Last night I was moving some sets around on my new shelves, and I put my modulars (Grand Emporium and Town Hall) on the top shelf of one of the units. The shelves are wide enough to fit 3 modulars perfectly, but I only have the two... I started decorating them with super heroes and I rememberd that I have the Daily Bugle set in my backlog. I built it and stuck it next to Town Hall and...

MAN is it pathetic. I gotta grab another modular ASAP, sheeeeesh.

Gonna use those turbines from Dr Doom's ship to MOC the hover features into the Quinjet! Anyone know if there are instructions for such a thing readily available online or should I just hack away at it myself?

Glad that the Skiff situation worked out. Like I said, talking to the coworker first was the way to go. But he beat you to the punch.

Everything is awesome!

As for the modding a Quinjet with the thrusters, the propellers in the Doom ship are too small. They should be larger for the Quinjet to fit properly. They should go close to the 6x6 plates on the wings to be correct, and the Doom propellers are 4x4.

On a different note, about to dig into the Ultra Agents HQ. This better be good, dammit. So many have raved about the Ultra Agents series. I feel an impending sense of doom with this set, that once I am in, I am in HARD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom