• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

The mansion won't be complete without a hallway that has two sets of three doors facing each other.

rbdXA0b.gif

Toxi

Banned
On a side note, TBB Chibi micro contest winners announced.
I did not win, but considering the many great entries and I was competing with awesome builders that I have followed over the years, I'm very happy that I was an honorable mention with my Borg cube.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2015/01/21/tbb-chibi-micro-contest-winners/
Awesome job! I love the work you did with the greebly details on the cube. It reminds me of the Ultimate Collectors Series despite its tiny size.

ghostmind

RE: Scooby Doo theme

Ruh Roh!
The Mystery of the Vanishing Money

On a side note, TBB Chibi micro contest winners announced.
I did not win, but considering the many great entries and I was competing with awesome builders that I have followed over the years, I'm very happy that I was an honorable mention with my Borg cube.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2015/01/21/tbb-chibi-micro-contest-winners/

Personally, I think yours is better than the winner's, but you'd have some tough competition from 2nd and 3rd place. That Alien Conquest one is sweet.

I'm thrilled that my dreams of Monster Fighters Part Two: Electric Scoobaloo seem to be coming true.

Mystery mansion, vampire castle, and helms deep gonna turn into one huge Voltron of spooky domiciles.

ghostmind

Mos Eisley Cantina 30% off Walmart online for pickup only though.
Sadly no stores close enough to me.

http://www.fbtb.net/2015/01/21/walmart-discounts-75052-mos-eisley-cantina/

EDIT: Amazon just priced matched it! Jump on it while it's good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4S9CU8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bought 1. I would have bought 2 but my wife is gonna be home when it comes so I didn't want to explain to her why I got two of the same set. :)

Tell her you need more Bith musicians to have an accurately-sized band for the Modal Nodes.

Ryuuroden

Mos Eisley Cantina 30% off Walmart online for pickup only though.
Sadly no stores close enough to me.

http://www.fbtb.net/2015/01/21/walmart-discounts-75052-mos-eisley-cantina/

EDIT: Amazon just priced matched it! Jump on it while it's good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4S9CU8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bought 1. I would have bought 2 but my wife is gonna be home when it comes so I didn't want to explain to her why I got two of the same set. :)

Just bought 2, thanks

Also, starting on Mini Cooper now. Finished the Tumbler a few hours ago.

Ryuuroden

Impressions on Tumbler?

Its a giant brick >.>

No, I like it but I guess I should not of built something black after doing so much Orthanc building. lol. I love all the angles in it. The last several sets I have built had a lot of odd angles to them which give me a lot of building technique ideas for some futuristic or modern modular type buildings.

Its a giant brick >.>

No, I like it but I guess I should not of built something black after doing so much Orthanc building. lol. I love all the angles in it. The last several sets I have built had a lot of odd angles to them which give me a lot of building technique ideas for some futuristic or modern modular type buildings.
The coolest angles they did were the sides. How it snapped into the technic pins to act as a frame. And it was rather solid then too.

don't know how good the set is but

Ultra Agents 70163 Toxikita's Toxic Meltdown is 37% off making it $25.19

http://amzn.com/B00J4S77NC

NICE!!!! Thanks for the heads up! You beat out any of my usually sale feeds. I need to setup some price watches for my want list on Amazon. I would have been upset missing out on this deal.

That's 37% off MSRP. Bought 2 and selected no rush (for $1 ebook credit or something) so it comes when my wife isn't home. :)

That's one of the few Ultra Agent sets I haven't gotten yet. It has a lot of nice parts and it haz hazmat guy in white!

Ravek

Banned
NICE!!!! Thanks for the heads up! You beat out any of my usually sale feeds. I need to setup some price watches for my want list on Amazon. I would have been upset missing out on this deal.

That's 37% off MSRP. Bought 2 and selected no rush (for $1 ebook credit or something) so it comes when my wife isn't home. :)

That's one of the few Ultra Agent sets I haven't gotten yet. It has a lot of nice parts and it haz hazmat guy in white!

You should combine the labs...

I'm gonna guess no one in here would have any tips on avoiding power loss in your gears, would they? Just looking for general ways or tips.

Ryuuroden

Interesting corollary, saw on the news today that 1 in 5 American's (in a relationship) hide a 500 dollar or more purchase from their spouse, the majority are the males in the relationship and 1 in 3 of those individuals have secret bank accounts/credit cards their spouses don't know about. I have no doubt the data is consistent in all other western countries as well.

Interesting corollary, saw on the news today that 1 in 5 American's (in a relationship) hide a 500 dollar or more purchase from their spouse, the majority are the males in the relationship and 1 in 3 of those individuals have secret bank accounts/credit cards their spouses don't know about. I have no doubt the data is consistent in all other western countries as well.

LEGO is the only financial thing I "hide" from my wife. She knows I buy a lot of LEGO stuff, she just doesn't know exactly how much. Lately I've been offsetting it since I've opened my Bricklink store. It helped a lot telling her that I was able to sell two Pirate of the Caribbean sets for $$$$. I told her that was the exception and most of what I'm selling (mostly minifigs and polybag promotions) mostly just offsets the cost of the LEGO I buy.

2015 is the year of reckoning...I'm gonna have to set a budget with all the good stuff coming out. Also, I actually at the point where I have too many of some LEGO elements.
HOW MANY TIRES DO I NEED? Tires don't resell well either because everyone has a ton of them. Most sets either have a car or airplane/spaceship in them.

Anyway, I digress...no secret bank accounts and she has access to all the bank accounts and credit card statements.

I'm gonna guess no one in here would have any tips on avoiding power loss in your gears, would they? Just looking for general ways or tips.

I've only seen a few post here that are Technic related. I actually would love to get into it, but I'm buried with just the stuff I want in LEGO System sets.

Expert Builder (predecessor to Technic) Car Chassis is one of the two biggest LEGO influences on my childhood.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, those two Lego sales at Amazon are so tempting. Just got a new job so I've got some money to throw around, and I always want more Lego... Neither of those sets really tickle my fancy though. Hmm

DJ_Lae

My mom found some random Lego at a thrift store for a few bucks and tried to get me to identify it over Skype - no luck. I figured it was a space or undersea set and maybe mid-2000s, when I wasn't really paying attention to Lego.

Anyone here know? I figure someone can just point at it and go 'hey it's that set' in two seconds, but I'm stumped.

vGwbhzQ.jpg

All of it is of a similar theme. My initial guess was Aquazone or something.

ghostmind

My mom found some random Lego at a thrift store for a few bucks and tried to get me to identify it over Skype - no luck. I figured it was a space or undersea set and maybe mid-2000s, when I wasn't really paying attention to Lego.

Anyone here know? I figure someone can just point at it and go 'hey it's that set' in two seconds, but I'm stumped.

vGwbhzQ.jpg

All of it is of a similar theme. My initial guess was Aquazone or something.

Set 7707 Striking Venom

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So it seems I have to pay 100 bucks for the lego shipping

so that explains why they double in price in local stores

neonglow

Finished my technic car!

Facts:
Longer and wider than my keyboard. The inner edges of the tires are wider apart than my keyboard.

Gearbox with 3 speeds, though the motor can't handle high gear.

Suspension on every wheel!

Steering wheel that works! And is on the driver side of the vehicle! That part was a doozy.

Made of four major segments: Front wheel assembly, engine segment, main body, and rear wheel assembly. Yay modular design!
This did less for me than it did against me, or so it felt at times.

Working engine! It's the first thing that the motor operates on, so I guess in a way you could say the engine powers it!

Took only 2 liters of blood, and three gallons of tears!

Drives!

i3TXCAeIJ8mK3.jpg

Super early photo of the gearbox and motor. At this point it was just hooked up to some "demo wheels", just to test out the gearing. Pretty much everything on this photo moved at least a little bit, aside from the gears themselves though.
iFVruQUxdiyFR.jpg

iUA3Be9g8mMFz.jpg

iccbivupwcV1N.jpg

i6UQXH83YwApf.jpg

iZmXHCeQsVGqS.jpg

I MAY complete the exterior, depending on how I feel on the overall design here in a few days. For now, I'm off to hibernate.

Finished my technic car!

Facts:
Longer and wider than my keyboard. The inner edges of the tires are wider apart than my keyboard.

Gearbox with 3 speeds, though the motor can't handle high gear.

Suspension on every wheel!

Steering wheel that works! And is on the driver side of the vehicle! That part was a doozy.

Made of four major segments: Front wheel assembly, engine segment, main body, and rear wheel assembly. Yay modular design!
This did less for me than it did against me, or so it felt at times.

Working engine! It's the first thing that the motor operates on, so I guess in a way you could say the engine powers it!

Took only 2 liters of blood, and three gallons of tears!

Drives!

I MAY complete the exterior, depending on how I feel on the overall design here in a few days. For now, I'm off to hibernate.

EVIL!!!! Don't tempt me with Technic mechanical possibilities. I'm not big into cars, but I'm intrigued by things like the Technic Rubik cube solver or those LEGO GBCs (Great Ball Contraptions).

Nice work. I must not succumb to another LEGO money pit.

How does 30% off 2014 LEGO Star Wars Battle Packs sound?

LEGO Star Wars Kashyyk Troopers (75035) - $9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IANTUPU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LEGO Star Wars Utapau Troopers (75036) - $9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IANTUQO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LEGO Star Wars Battle on Saleucami (75037) - $10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IANTSJI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LEGO City 4×4 with Powerboat (60085) - $21
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NHQFQ76/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I saw those. I'm very tempted only for the camouflage troopers. For $9 that's a great deal!!! Other battle packs do nothing for me.

I was just thinking about the next wave of Minecraft sets and rereading their descriptions, and everyone is saying the Nether Fortress comes with a "new zombie". I'm assuming that they're just unfamiliar with the game and that means it comes with Zombie Pigmen?? Woooooo!

Minecraft, Scooby-Doo, Ninjago sets with new snake skull helmets and ghosts, Jurassic World, Ultra Agents, ah man this is gonna be an awesome year for me.

Do we have any idea what's replacing Chima yet? I mean it's obviously not coming in the first half of this year but have there been any rumors?

judhudson

Anyone know of a place where I can get baseplates for cheap - 32x32? I'll take any color, but if I can, blue or gray would work best. Saw some on the LEGO Store for $15 and cried, for I need 20 of them. Then I saw they did have blue ones in for $5, and cried too when I saw they were sold out...

Rootbeer

Banned
my local TRU has the $5 price under the green ones but i didn't price check them to make sure it's the true price o_O

I'm hoping we'll see sales on baseplates someday... am i dreaming?

I've decided that if I'm going to display anything in my office, it'll just be ships (no figs). I've also decided that they all need half decent stands so I'm trying a few different approaches. I finished up work on a stand for the Ghost and I'm happy with but with some reservations.

From this angle it looks like that fairytale house with the chicken legs.

The basic stand itself...this is also the reason I ordered a ton of black liftarms from Bricklink this week.

And here's the ship at home on its shelf:

So what do you think? I'm happy with the very slight downward angle and the sturdiness, but I'm concerned it really does look like it's turned into a walker of some sort.

Finished my technic car!

God, that is awesome. It is so cool to see custom Technic stuff. You really should make an exterior for it sometime though. Something that can go over it and look cool, but easily removable to get to the guts in case it needs a tune up.

I've decided that if I'm going to display anything in my office, it'll just be ships (no figs). I've also decided that they all need half decent stands so I'm trying a few different approaches. I finished up work on a stand for the Ghost and I'm happy with but with some reservations.

So what do you think? I'm happy with the very slight downward angle and the sturdiness, but I'm concerned it really does look like it's turned into a walker of some sort.

You are right. It looks like chicken legs. The downward angle is great too. But to avoid the chicken legs, maybe put four support beams on the stand, and maybe 4 side feet as well, much like other UCS stands. You could use shorter beams on the front to keep the angle, and those along with the extra feet would make it look less like skinny chicken legs.

Still awesome work either way. But all I can see is chicken legs now.

God, that is awesome. It is so cool to see custom Technic stuff. You really should make an exterior for it sometime though. Something that can go over it and look cool, but easily removable to get to the guts in case it needs a tune up.
Oh I'm considering it, I just don't know if I have enough panelling. I dont want to end up using just a bunch of studded plates, though I might use some for some detail cover up. If I C panel this this with only two colors I probably will. I'm thinking it might end up black and red, but white is another that I have a few of. We'll have to wait and see.

Also building this thing is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. The most complicated Technic things I've ever done are Bionicles haha. I've made some custom mecha before, but nothing with any sort of real mechanisms.

Oh I'm considering it, I just don't know if I have enough panelling. I dont want to end up using just a bunch of studded plates, though I might use some for some detail cover up. If I C panel this this with only two colors I probably will. I'm thinking it might end up black and red, but white is another that I have a few of. We'll have to wait and see.

If you need a bunch of large black technic panels, the Ultra Agents HQ came with a lot.

If you need a bunch of large black technic panels, the Ultra Agents HQ came with a lot.
Hrm. Thank you for the recommendation, but that doesn't sound like a $20 set, and I've already spent quite a bit haha. Between the 42037 (for most of the tire bits) and the Power Functions Motor set, I think I need to slow down for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom