• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

I've decided that if I'm going to display anything in my office, it'll just be ships (no figs). I've also decided that they all need half decent stands so I'm trying a few different approaches. I finished up work on a stand for the Ghost and I'm happy with but with some reservations.

From this angle it looks like that fairytale house with the chicken legs.

The basic stand itself...this is also the reason I ordered a ton of black liftarms from Bricklink this week.

And here's the ship at home on its shelf:

So what do you think? I'm happy with the very slight downward angle and the sturdiness, but I'm concerned it really does look like it's turned into a walker of some sort.

Try to build a stand like the one for the UCS X Wing. See if you can modify a slot in the underside of the Ghost for it to slot into. Since you have the X Wing already just take that existing stand and try it out first. If it works build another. I think that would look less like chicken legs which I cannot now unsee since you called them that. Plus it would give you the ability to angle it based on how you modify the stand itself. I think that is your best bet with the blockyness of the Ghost.

Anyone know of a place where I can get baseplates for cheap - 32x32? I'll take any color, but if I can, blue or gray would work best. Saw some on the LEGO Store for $15 and cried, for I need 20 of them. Then I saw they did have blue ones in for $5, and cried too when I saw they were sold out...

$15? That sounds like the 48x48 base plate which is a good price especially since baseplate prices skyrocketed. I bought two of those around $15 over a year ago at the LEGO store. LEGO no longer makes blue baseplates so if you find any at all for around $5, that is a really good price.

$7.99 is the current MSRP of 32x32 base plates unfortunately. I'm not sure why the price of the 48x48 hasn't changed.
I'm shocked at the huge increase. Why not more gradual over the years?

ghostmind

Toy Fair update from Brickset:

Update: I forgot to mention before now that I also spotted a new Green Goblin minifigure included in one of the Juniors sets. I didn't catch the set number, but I did notice that the set included a small flyer for Green Goblin and at least one pumpkin bomb. It looked very faithful to the comic book version and was a definite improvement over the bigfig included in 76016 Spider-Helicopter Rescue in my opinion.

I'm betting he uses the new goblin headpiece from CMF13.

Those junior sets are overpriced, but I'll pay it no problem for a classic Green Goblin! I'm with you on the CMF 13 goblin head piece being used.

So stoked about the future of LEGO Super Heroes. I'm gonna have to cut back on other themes.

ghostmind

Those junior sets are overpriced, but I'll pay it no problem for a classic Green Goblin! I'm with you on the CMF 13 goblin head piece being used.

So stoked about the future of LEGO Super Heroes. I'm gonna have to cut back on other themes.

I'm considering dropping the DC Super Heroes sets, as I've been a Marvel Zombie (as well as an official member of FOOM and a No-Prize recipient) all of my life, and the DCU has only been on the periphery for me (save for occasional interest in Green Lantern).

The main draw of the Super Heroes sets are the minifigs, and I don't connect with the DCU ones (for the most part).

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm considering dropping the DC Super Heroes sets, as I've been a Marvel Zombie (as well as an official member of FOOM and a No-Prize recipient) all of my life, and the DCU has only been on the periphery for me (save for occasional interest in Green Lantern).

The main draw of the Super Heroes sets are the minifigs, and I don't connect with the DCU ones (for the most part).

It is the same for me Ghostmind. I was planning to get the DC sets, but not anymore, maybe one- two minifigs solo but I need to have all the marvel ones.

But because of this the Comic Con promos hurt so much, I mean Jean Grey, Black Spidey.. so essential characters.

I really hope we get someday even classic Hawkeye

Zerojul

Same here. If I have to drop one of the two SH line, I won't hesitate for one second. I think there are great things in the latest DC wave though.

It's long overdue indeed. May
Decool
Lego hear you :)

Ryuuroden

I am more familiar with Marvel because of all the movies. If there were more DC movies about than Marvel it would probably reverse itself. If not for the movies I would know hardly anything at all about most of the superheroes. I did not read any of the comics from either publisher as a kid so really did not get interested until the Nolan Batman movies, the first Spiderman movies, the X Men movies, and all of the Marvel movies starting with Ironman started coming out. Even then, I Did not have an interest in the Lego sets till this last year when I came to the conclusion it would be nice to have some of the more well known superheroes for fun displays in my large modular city that is constantly growing with custom and official modulars.

I still have not read any of the comics but I have done a lot of reading up on the backgrounds of various heroes, their incarnations and the various ties they have with each other by reading up on wiki's. All the media that is out there is very intimidating which makes it hard to want to start reading it but the depth of the universes and all the connections and stories are quite fascinating.

The other draw to comics was I get to see a lot of bishoujo superheroes in Figure GAF which is the other primary place I hang out in on GAF so whenever a new female superhero figure is posted I have to look up the story. The Kotobukuya line always looks fantastic, way better than Western scale figures for prices way cheaper than Western figures at around 50 dollars a piece if you buy it when it is released. The only two Western figure makers that have standards as high as the main Japanese companies is Hot Toys and Sideshow and both of those cost a ton. Plus they make a different type of figure than the ones I buy. I actually get mostly game or original concept 1/8 and 1/7 scale figures and some anime related ones. Used to be more anime but there has been a growth in the number of original concept figures that appeal to me a lot. But I digress, back to LEGO.

ghostmind

I should explain further that I am not just targeting the DC sets - I am looking at cuts across the board to accommodate new themes that I am very interested in (looking at you Scooby-Doo), as well as the increased production of Star Wars sets.

For instance, I'll only be picking up two of the "Great Vehicles" this year, as the others don't inspire or feel like they are a small iteration on what has come before.

mojiimbo

$15? That sounds like the 48x48 base plate which is a good price especially since baseplate prices skyrocketed. I bought two of those around $15 over a year ago at the LEGO store. LEGO no longer makes blue baseplates so if you find any at all for around $5, that is a really good price.

$7.99 is the current MSRP of 32x32 base plates unfortunately. I'm not sure why the price of the 48x48 hasn't changed.
I'm shocked at the huge increase. Why not more gradual over the years?
Yeah, I'm surprised the big baseplate held at $15. The new initiative towards a "Classic" line with just bricks is cool and most of those seem like a good value but the price increase on standard baseplates is a big bummer. It hit me when I saw someone buy 2, apply a VIP credit, and the total was still more expensive than before. Weird how to City "road" baseplates are now slightly a better value too(2 for $15.)

Ryuuroden

I should explain further that I am not just targeting the DC sets - I am looking at cuts across the board to accommodate new themes that I am very interested in (looking at you Scooby-Doo), as well as the increased production of Star Wars sets.

For instance, I'll only be picking up two of the "Great Vehicles" this year, as the others don't inspire or feel like they are a small iteration on what has come before.

What I have always done is never try to complete themes. Nearly every theme has weak sets so I use the various websites that are out there to build wishlists and so on that also give me total cost or I will make my own spread sheet. I then separate exclusives from the rest that might be discounted. I sort the ones that will be on Amazon by must haves and can do without but will get if I can and then deal with it accordingly. I also keep track of when they were released so I know how long I can wait on them. By at least not being a completionist I know I can get everything I want.

For instance when it comes to the Ultra Agents sets, there are several must haves in that series but the rest I can live without and will be put on the portion of the impulse buy section if I find it for deep discount clearance. I am sure I am just preaching to the choir here as I don't doubt you use similar methods.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well worth it at that price! TRU?
Yes... Clearance plus $20 off any Lego purchase over $75 and stacked my 20% off coupon on that.

Officially it doesn't work in the system but they overrode it. It actually came out a bit cheaper too.

Because of this I still have the coupon. Going back tomorrow. They were unloading an insane truck today. Told me it would take them three days to stock it all.

OK so I have seen the Bible and the Shakespeare but this is kind of disturbing.

YVaxtGU.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Cool that the Iron Man minifig actually fits in the bigger suit. Love all the new Avenger figs, but still not sold on that Hulk.

I feel the opposite for myself, I can drop Marvel and not feel as bad as if I skipped DC.

It is the same for me Ghostmind. I was planning to get the DC sets, but not anymore, maybe one- two minifigs solo but I need to have all the marvel ones.

But because of this the Comic Con promos hurt so much, I mean Jean Grey, Black Spidey.. so essential characters.

Same here. If I have to drop one of the two SH line, I won't hesitate for one second. I think there are great things in the latest DC wave though.

It's long overdue indeed. May
Decool
Lego hear you :)

To each his/her own. I embrace both Marvel and DC. I was a DC person mostly as a kid, but still like Marvel a bit. As I grew up, I enjoyed both and even independent comics. I'm a huge comic nerd, but I'm a bit out of touch the past 5+ years with all the reboots and major changes.

I'm scared about Star Wars. I'm nearly done with OT stuff, but if the new movies are awesome, I can see myself getting sucked in for a bunch of the sets. Heck, I'm feeling some tugging from the Star Wars Rebels cartoon. Mostly for the minifigs though...but the Tie Fighter prototype is a definite must have for both the ship and minifig.

Rootbeer

Banned
I really like the brick-built Hulkbuster and that Scarlet Witch fig... except her hairpiece, which is beyond overused at this point. I'd like to see more hairpieces, LEGO.

I'm not sure what they are going for with Ultron... it looks a bit weird.

I know he has those things on his head but I'm not sure it is translating all that well

Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Official-Trailer.jpg

Whoah, amazing deal ! Congrats !!!

Thanks, thanks... I've been scheming a way to get that set which I kept seeing on the shelf and nobody was buying it... finally I was able to strike gold.

Anyway I wonder if the Joker polybag will show up today, they were about to stock a ton of LEGO but I just didn't have time to stick around and examine every box :p

Thanks, thanks... I've been scheming a way to get that set which I kept seeing on the shelf and nobody was buying it... finally I was able to strike gold.

I feel the same way about the stack of Constitution Train Chases at my local TRU. I scan that thing once a week waiting for a price drop and it's never come down.

Good job on your sweet discount!

Rootbeer

Banned
I feel the same way about the stack of Constitution Train Chases at my local TRU. I scan that thing once a week waiting for a price drop and it's never come down.

Good job on your sweet discount!

If only they'd put it on discount, even just a little bit... you could use the $20 off any $75 LEGo purchase deal and (assuming you got the e-mail) your 20% off any clearance coupon... but yeah it's rough getting great discounts at TRU, at least it is for me. This is the first time I feel like I got TOO good of a deal, except when I feel that way I just remember how just2good got those two Arkham Asylums for next to nothing and then I don't feel so bad :p

neonglow

Yes... Clearance plus $20 off any Lego purchase over $75 and stacked my 20% off coupon on that.

Officially it doesn't work in the system but they overrode it. It actually came out a bit cheaper too.

Because of this I still have the coupon. Going back tomorrow. They were unloading an insane truck today. Told me it would take them three days to stock it all.

Awesome deal. How'd you get the $20 off LEGO purchase over $75?

Caladrius

I'm not sure what they are going for with Ultron... it looks a bit weird.

I know he has those things on his head but I'm not sure it is translating all that well

Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Official-Trailer.jpg

They'll probably base it off of the Grievous mould, since that looks pretty close.

EDIT: Oops, read that wrong and didn't look at the picture. >__<

They should have taken my idea. :[

I've tried to drop all the super heroes sets so that I can focus on Star Wars. The Avengers and Ant Man sets will be hard to miss though.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've tried to drop all the super heroes sets so that I can focus on Star Wars. The Avengers and Ant Man sets will be hard to miss though.
I see where you guys are coming from, especially with Star Wars ramping up greatly this year and probably staying very strong for the next several years at the minimum.

Buuut I really love some of the newer minifigs we are getting out of the DC & Marvel side, slowly but surely they are giving us some of the best characters and allowing us to build all sorts of teams I never thought would be possible. I can't see myself giving up those themes anytime soon.

It may come to a point where I bricklink some figures instead of buying the sets, I haven't decided yet. I do feel that LEGO is spinning off so many great subthemes with tons of sets these days that I simply can't buy everything I want -- not even close. Very hard choices lay ahead.

neonglow

For me, I'll get most City, Star Wars, Super Heroes and Creator house sets. I'm considering dropping the majority of action themes like Ninjago and Chima. Undecided if I want Scooby Doo or Simpsons sets but will get them if you fit into a City layout well.

Fowler

Being able to buy minifigs on their own at shops here changed everything for me (and my wallet). I don't have space for sets anymore, and I had too many sets I bought just for the minifigs. Love that I'll be able to add Green Lantern cheaply, easily, and without adding another box to my tiny apartment.

If anything being able to buy standalone figs means I'm collecting MORE LEGO lines than ever before; I didn't have any Marvel superheroes before this. Even debating getting the Minecraft figs to spread around my display!

I see where you guys are coming from, especially with Star Wars ramping up greatly this year and probably staying very strong for the next several years at the minimum.

Buuut I really love some of the newer minifigs we are getting out of the DC & Marvel side, slowly but surely they are giving us some of the best characters and allowing us to build all sorts of teams I never thought would be possible. I can't see myself giving up those themes anytime soon.

It may come to a point where I bricklink some figures instead of buying the sets, I haven't decided yet. I do feel that LEGO is spinning off so many great subthemes with tons of sets these days that I simply can't buy everything I want -- not even close. Very hard choices lay ahead.

I reckon that is where I am at right now. Bricklinking figs because the sets never do anything for me. Star Wars has always been number 1 to me and I have to pass on so many sets due to lack of funds. Knowing the Force Awakens sets are coming in September, I need to be ready. :)

Ponn

Banned

oh man I was specifically getting the CMF goblin fig to mod into a Green Goblin. I hate the big fig GG in the spider helicopter set. I basically got that set for the Power Man and MJ figs and the rotor blades for an Airship moc. Now I don't have to worry about that, want those pumpkin bombs.

Still want that Hulkbuster but probably going to mod it. Something about the legs seem off and I don't like that right hand. I was planning on modding the Bat-Mech too so I guess that will be my project.

This year is going to be very expensive Super Hero wise. Again i'm just thankful i'm not trapped in the black hole that is Star Wars or I would be in real trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom