• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodypop

Welp, Christmas sets broke down and stored till next year :{ I need to break down some more stuff to make room before I dig into anymore of my backlog. If only these planes and ships didn't take up so much real estate. Wish there was a way to display on them on a wall. Need to work on that idea.
I did that his afternoon, too! lol
Floating shelves don't work for you?
Oooh, I'm interested! Links to such things?

Ponn

Banned
Floating shelves don't work for you?

They have been working for most of my stuff but my ships and planes won't fit on them. I'd have to find a way to make them vertical on the shelf. When I move I was going to ask my brother in law if it was possible to make some deeper higher shelving to display things like Helm's Deep and Quinjet.

I did that his afternoon, too! lol

Oooh, I'm interested! Links to such things?

These are similar to the ones i'm using right now. There are different kinds but there should be more there to give you an idea. Those work really well for me and hold alot of weight. I had the Tower of Orthanc on the smallest one and it held just fine.

neonglow

This is my weekend pickup. I got all the Series 4 Mixels from TRU and a couple of the garbage truck polybags from Target. The garbage truck is one of the better polybags when it comes to pieces. It comes with a car chassis plate, 2 trashcans and 2 corner wall pieces that aren't in many sets. There's a lot of uncommon pieces in there.

3dCluQf.jpg

They have been working for most of my stuff but my ships and planes won't fit on them. I'd have to find a way to make them vertical on the shelf. When I move I was going to ask my brother in law if it was possible to make some deeper higher shelving to display things like Helm's Deep and Quinjet.

Hooks and fishline. :)

Just search: "hanging lego models from the ceiling"

This is my weekend pickup. I got all the Series 4 Mixels from TRU and a couple of the garbage truck polybags from Target. The garbage truck is one of the better polybags when it comes to pieces. It comes with a car chassis plate, 2 trashcans and 2 corner wall pieces that aren't in many sets. There's a lot of uncommon pieces in there.

3dCluQf.jpg

Time to hit up TRU and Target soon. I need Mixels and those garbage trucks.

Well, Jang has now put up the two most important 2015 Bionicle videos... solid perspectives that I agree with mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsYAmVxLlis&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB0BZdyS8hE&feature=youtu.be

I've been setting aside my nostalgia for old Bionicle and have been enjoying the new Bionicle immensely. Even with that said, when I do compare old to new, I really do like everything they have done. It's hard for me to complain about it, partially because my prior complaints get squashed once I get the sets physically or have had them around for some time.

Ponn

Banned

Just search: "hanging lego models from the ceiling"

I....don't know. I'm very nervous about head injuries now and those freak me out. Also not to offend anyone here that may be doing that, it kinda looks tacky. Also its harder to randomly take them and swoosh with them.

I AM interested in finding some of those clear display stands I saw while googling that though. I love the clear display rod that came with the hummingbird in the Birds set but unfortunately I couldn't find anything like it on pick a brick at Lego S@H.

I....don't know. I'm very nervous about head injuries now and those freak me out. Also not to offend anyone here that may be doing that, it kinda looks tacky. Also you its harder to randomly take them and swoosh with them.

I AM interested in finding some of those clear display stands I saw while googling that though. I love the clear display rod that came with the hummingbird in the Birds set but unfortunately I couldn't find anything like it on pick a brick at Lego S@H.

The pod racer sets from a few years ago came with clear technic beams, and those are pretty cool. If you can get enough clear technic beams you can make your own display stands that are close enough to invisible. Well, aside from the black technic pins to hold them together.

EDIT: Lame. Looks like you can't order the technic beams in clear from LEGO S@H. But they have made the parts in sets.

EDIT 2: Some pics of the set using the clear technic pieces as a stand.

Ryuuroden

The pod racer sets from a few years ago came with clear technic beams, and those are pretty cool. If you can get enough clear technic beams you can make your own display stands that are close enough to invisible. Well, aside from the black technic pins to hold them together.

EDIT: Lame. Looks like you can't order the technic beams in clear from LEGO S@H. But they have made the parts in sets.

EDIT 2: Some pics of the set using the clear technic pieces as a stand.

I should of checked if lugbulk had clear technic beams when I had a chance, oh well, remind me next year. I would definitely use them to make stands. (most likely they would not be available though since they were only in a licensed theme set.) Even if its not mini-figure related, that can sometimes keep certain bricks from also being widely available.

ghostmind

There is a rumor floating about that 2016 will see the return of the fantasy-based Castle theme.

This is a very early rumor, so large grains of salt.

I should of checked if lugbulk had clear technic beams when I had a chance, oh well, remind me next year. I would definitely use them to make stands. (most likely they would not be available though since they were only in a licensed theme set.) Even if its not mini-figure related, that can sometimes keep certain bricks from also being widely available.

The only time I ever used them was when making the elevated tracks for the Ghost Train in my Halloween MOC in 2013. I never really thought about them for display stands for a ship until now. But they would be great for making stands if LEGO would sell them on their PAB site.

There is a rumor floating about that 2016 will see the return of the fantasy-based Castle theme.

Wake me when we get classic Space theme back.

Draxal

I loved Kingdom (except for the pink tabards) but it can't coexist with a Hobbit/Lotr theme.

Just like space really can't coexist with Star Wars (as a mini theme yes ... but not as a huge theme like Ninjago).

ghostmind

I loved Kingdom (except for the pink tabards) but it can't coexist with a Hobbit/Lotr theme.

Just like space really can't coexist with Star Wars (as a mini theme yes ... but not as a huge theme like Ninjago).

That's why this rumour makes some sense, since the Middle-Earth themes are done, and will be OOP by the time we hit 2016.

Started randomly experimenting with the parts of my broken-down frankenstein's lab today. It would appear I'm making some kind of nonsensical tower with unspecified science and/or torture apparatus. There's an open wall to the tower's jail cell, featuring a place to hang minifigures upside down between two protruding lightningbolts. I cantilevered the floor of the assembly so that unwanted visitors can't just climb into the opening, and am working on some kind of dramatic approach/ counterweight for the tower room.

I guess it'll be part of my all-in-one castle moc when I get around to it, or something.

I'll probably just rebuild zombies normally. It's cooler than any ideas I have for it.

I'm allllllmost tempted to open the spare frank and zombies I have, but I'd still much rather sell them to get money for more new lego sets.... like town hall, which I missed. Or unexpected gathering, which I missed. Or many other lego hobbit/lotr sets, which I... do you see a pattern here? I've been frugal lately and my poor self control will lead to bad spending decisions soon.

God I hope so. I want as much variety in my fantasy lego world as possible.

I need to finish collecting the lotr/hobbit sets before finding them becomes impossible....

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with the Iceklaw's Mech (30256) Polybag at Target? I've heard people have been finding them since December, but all I've seen are the crummy fire cycle one.

Is it going to be hard to find? Sure, he'll be included with Bladvic's Rumble Bear, but I love that little mech.

What's the deal with the Iceklaw's Mech (30256) Polybag at Target? I've heard people have been finding them since December, but all I've seen are the crummy fire cycle one.

Is it going to be hard to find? Sure, he'll be included with Bladvic's Rumble Bear, but I love that little mech.

I assume it's just delays in distribution and what the stores have in stock. I'm used it taking up to a month or so to start showing up at my Targets after people start posting on their finds (unless it's a polybag they put in their seasonal section i.e. Xmas, Thanksgiving). I'm in Southern California near Los Angeles.

Ironmask

Since yesterday my little daughter has the flu and i had the possibility to spend some good times with her at my speed. I grabbed the Heartlake Mall Center from the closet of shame and the whole family spent the afternoon building and playing.
The set is really big, we spent almost 3 hours only to build the mall. I higly raccomend the use of a 48x48 baseplate below the set to move it around the house when in need.
Nothing seems incomplete here, every store could have easily been sold as a single set at a 29 $ price, the car at a 15 $ price and the catwalk as a 9 $ set (so we're at a 150 $ value) What really lacks here is the presence of dollfigs to give some life to the whole set, four dollfigs to play and not even a retail clerk to use is such a bummer.
The designer obviously created a playset, but an Afol can easily complete his mall with a minimum of wall pieces and the substitution of the violet pieces (not a lot of them honestly).
The play value of the set is huge, you can easily add other stores with a minimum customization.
Easily one of my favourite 2014 lego sets.

Rootbeer

Banned

make sure to check the impulse buy shelf on EVERY register, and make sure to look behind the other polybags. sometimes they are sneakily not easily spotted. :p

or maybe your store goofed up and put them in the holiday section? you can find some lego polybags there currently at most Targets.

Ponn

Banned
Someone mentioned that the clear wings on the Wonder Woman plane will make for excellent display stands.

That. is. brilliant. That jet just looks so pathetic and I didn't even want to display it and was thinking what a botched opportunity but that turns lemons into lemonade.

Just got the Creator Red Go Kart yesterday. Man its so nice, I love how they managed to cram real steering wheel turning into such a small set. The set as a whole heavily reminds me of Mario Kart. If I just had a red "M" sticker it would be practically identical.

You really can't go wrong with Creator sets, at least in my opinion they're the most consistent theme out of any of the currently running themes (arguably star wars could take that spot too, but the modluars push Creator over the edge imo)

Ravek

Banned
Just got the Creator Red Go Kart yesterday. Man its so nice, I love how they managed to cram real steering wheel turning into such a small set. The set as a whole heavily reminds me of Mario Kart. If I just had a red "M" sticker it would be practically identical.

You really can't go wrong with Creator sets, at least in my opinion they're the most consistent theme out of any of the currently running themes (arguably star wars could take that spot too, but the modluars push Creator over the edge imo)

Ultra Agents is also consistently amazing.

Hey I love Galaxy Squad (I wasn't a fan of alien invaders or whatever it was) and it was a fine minitheme, but it didn't last long. Star Wars just took it's place as the evergreen theme.

I know. I hope it was obvious I was joking. There is nothing but love in this thread.

Draxal

I know. I hope it was obvious I was joking. There is nothing but love in this thread.

It was obvious ... but we did get alot of classic space men love this last year with the white spaceman, benny and exo suit so I couldn't blame you for getting greedy.

As an aside, the thing I miss about space is the playsets more than the actual ships and stuff.

I would love if they did an annual decent sized play set for space like they do for winter village. I thought the perfect release date would be space day ... but I found out its always the first friday in May, Star Wars does really have it out for classic space doesn't it?

woodypop

These are similar to the ones i'm using right now. There are different kinds but there should be more there to give you an idea. Those work really well for me and hold alot of weight. I had the Tower of Orthanc on the smallest one and it held just fine.
Thanks, those are a really good idea. I found some IKEA ones that look like they'll suit my needs well.

Something about the haphazard/chaotic way they're arranged reminds me of a floating space ship grave yard. lol

I'm having the exact same experience. I've been vigilant as well, but haven't seen any in the wild.

That. is. brilliant. That jet just looks so pathetic and I didn't even want to display it and was thinking what a botched opportunity but that turns lemons into lemonade.
Agreed. Once I get one, I think I'm going to sweep the wings back, like a more traditional jet, and see if that helps any. It's such a skimpy little build--I'm amazed they actually included a couple of missile launchers.

Well, Jang has now put up the two most important 2015 Bionicle videos... solid perspectives that I agree with mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB0BZdyS8hE&feature=youtu.be

I've been setting aside my nostalgia for old Bionicle and have been enjoying the new Bionicle immensely. Even with that said, when I do compare old to new, I really do like everything they have done. It's hard for me to complain about it, partially because my prior complaints get squashed once I get the sets physically or have had them around for some time.

No joke, those two videos completely changed my opinion on the new Bionicle. I'm kind of realizing now that my main complaint that is still valid, when compared to the old ones, all goes back to the current mask mechanism, which sucks. My other complaint is that they don't really look "mechanical" enough. Bionicles were always living robots, that looked like they could have just been melded car pieces (I personally felt that the exposed gears helped their aesthetic), and these lose that almost entirely.

Also the color schemes suck. Really, with a little bit more tweaking/refining, I would have absolutely loved them. But those videos helped me appreciate their complexity, and the fact that they are WAY better as far as posing goes.

Am I the only one who thinks that the protector masks look eerily like the Bohrok faces?

Rootbeer

Banned
well, hopefully with the later Bionicle waves they will flesh things out and maybe even address some of the more serious ones like the masks

I've never owned any bionciles until these 2015 ones, and I gotta say the masks pop off super easy and it sucks. I want the masks to stay on better.

So since I recently worked a ton of overtime I decided to buy myself a new set, and I opted for a bit of frugalness and picked up:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/76012:_Batman:_The_Riddler_Chase

Mostly because the Flash show on tv got me wanting a Flash figure. Anywho the set is decent, but it feels like they spent almost the entire piece budget on the Batmobile as the Riddler's hotrod is flimsy and barely has any pieces. If I had time and more extra pieces I would try to improve the hotrod on my own as there are the start of some good ideas there but just not enough.

I do like the Batmobile from the set though, it feels more modern and sleek than the Burton movie rip offs they previously made, its fun to drive around and the front end has a sort of battering ram quality to it.

The other thing this set made me wonder, is why Lego didn't make a helmet for Captain American like they did for the Flash. It would've looked nicer on Cap I think, plus it just seems weird that a one off figure like the Flash got a special helmet.

neonglow

So since I recently worked a ton of overtime I decided to buy myself a new set, and I opted for a bit of frugalness and picked up:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/76012:_Batman:_The_Riddler_Chase

Mostly because the Flash show on tv got me wanting a Flash figure. Anywho the set is decent, but it feels like they spent almost the entire piece budget on the Batmobile as the Riddler's hotrod is flimsy and barely has any pieces. If I had time and more extra pieces I would try to improve the hotrod on my own as there are the start of some good ideas there but just not enough.

I do like the Batmobile from the set though, it feels more modern and sleek than the Burton movie rip offs they previously made, its fun to drive around and the front end has a sort of battering ram quality to it.

The other thing this set made me wonder, is why Lego didn't make a helmet for Captain American like they did for the Flash. It would've looked nicer on Cap I think, plus it just seems weird that a one off figure like the Flash got a special helmet.

That might come down to Marvel and DC having final approval on things. If you saw the initial Iron Man figure from the NY Toy Fair, he wasn't suppose to have a helmet either. I'm glad they changed that because initially, his head was terrible.

Toxi

Banned

Jang's wrong about the new masks. Though at first it might seem like they only attach to the new heads, they can actually attach to any socket joint. This makes them pretty useful for MOCing stuff (like this plant built by QQS on Eurobrick).

16039700939_a12dbc0745_c.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks that the protector masks look eerily like the Bohrok faces?
They remind me of Jaller Mahri's Kanohi Arthron.

57531pb01.png

wetwired

Man the new monster themed Minifig series is proving devicive. On one Facebook group I'm on people are fawning over them, on the other people a bashing the crop put of them, Some even adamant they're fakes (they're not)

Rootbeer

Banned
would you guys order something from brickling from someone with 0 feedback?, I put in order for a Darth Revan for 21 bucks shipped
Sure. You can file with PayPal for a refund of they stiff you. Avoid sellers with recent negative feedback though definitely

PS look for a Revan On BST soon, I have a feeling one may be showing up shortly

Jang's wrong about the new masks. Though at first it might seem like they only attach to the new heads, they can actually attach to any socket joint. This makes them pretty useful for MOCing stuff (like this plant built by QQS on Eurobrick).

16039700939_a12dbc0745_c.jpg

They remind me of Jaller Mahri's Kanohi Arthron.

57531pb01.png

Didn't realize that, pretty awesome!

I am back and forth about the masks. They do what they say, but I feel like (as Jang said) they are very non universal... I'll try what you said as it will probably shift my opinion.

I think the new color schemes are great, it's the Gold that seems to throw most of it off to be honest.

Sure. You can file with PayPal for a refund of they stiff you. Avoid sellers with recent negative feedback though definitely

PS look for a Revan On BST soon, I have a feeling one may be showing up shortly

thanks, yeah Ill pay with my credit card so i'll have the paypal buyer protection and I can always open a chargeback if need be

Toxi

Banned
Didn't realize that, pretty awesome!

I am back and forth about the masks. They do what they say, but I feel like (as Jang said) they are very non universal... I'll try what you said as it will probably shift my opinion.

I think the new color schemes are great, it's the Gold that seems to throw most of it off to be honest.
Here's some more QQS MOCs using the masks if you want some ideas on how to use the masks in your builds.

Link to gallery

I'm really impressed by the guy's creativity.

Brickset says I have 80,000, my gues on items on display is about 10,000 so the rest are all unsorted. They live in bags in 4 huge boxes in the spare room. I have resolved to sort them.

Each session I grab one or two lots likes this (5 zip bags shown);

This was after session 2 or 3;

About 10 days in (can't sort every day and worked this weekend);

At the moment I am sorting into the following groups: bricks, 2x or more plates, 1xX plates, slopes &curves, wings & wedges, tiles, round bricks/plates, technic and other. All will then be sub sorted and will end up with about 20-30 groups I think.

And to make this a little more exciting here's some Lego on display;

Brickset says I have 80,000, my gues on items on display is about 10,000 so the rest are all unsorted. They live in bags in 4 huge boxes in the spare room. I have resolved to sort them.

Each session I grab one or two lots likes this (5 zip bags shown);

This was after session 2 or 3;

About 10 days in (can't sort every day and worked this weekend);

At the moment I am sorting into the following groups: bricks, 2x or more plates, 1xX plates, slopes &curves, wings & wedges, tiles, round bricks/plates, technic and other. All will then be sub sorted and will end up with about 20-30 groups I think.

And to make this a little more exciting here's some Lego on display;

Man, I'm going to rework how I've got my Technik Legos sorted. Right now everything is in grouped bags, but I'm moving them to compartmented carriers. Right now all I've got are a lot of the basic Techniks in a fish tackle box haha.

So, I keep finding myself on the Bionicle Wiki, and... it seems like there's a metric shit ton of story in this shit. IIRC, at least the early comics seemed very basic, did the comics ever get more in depth? Or is this all in some "background" stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom