• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
At its widest, how wide is the fully-operational Death Star?

How big it was in the Star Wars films, is that what you're asking?
The old expanded universe had it to be about 120 kilometers in diameter (it is pretty much a perfect sphere).
The second one was stated to be 160 kilometers in diameter.
(Though previous numbers where 160 and 900, respectively.)
(EDIT: The models used in the films, given their scale, implied 216 km for the first Death Star, and 900 km for the second.)

How big it was in the Star Wars films, is that what you're asking?
The old expanded universe had it to be about 120 kilometers in diameter (it is pretty much a perfect sphere).
The second one was stated to be 160 kilometers in diameter.
(Though previous numbers where 160 and 900, respectively.)
(EDIT: The models used in the films, given their scale, implied 216 km for the first Death Star, and 900 km for the second.)

That was a thorough answer, thank you.

Too large to fit on a shelf, clearly. Now how about the LEGO set?

Ponn

Banned
So this week some pictures and probably reveal of the Hellicarrier?

At this point im just expecting it to pop up on Lego S@H in Feb. to no fanfare or announcement. Maybe an email from Lego

To Whom it may concern,

Helicarrier is available to VIP members today, here it is. Whatever.

Love,
TLG

Toxi

Banned
So, I keep finding myself on the Bionicle Wiki, and... it seems like there's a metric shit ton of story in this shit. IIRC, at least the early comics seemed very basic, did the comics ever get more in depth? Or is this all in some "background" stuff?
The story expanded a lot, with books, comics, web serials, movies, etc. It got ludicrously complicated, which is one of the reasons the story rebooted for 2015. There was too much shit going on, and not in an interesting way.

Basic summary of the original Bionicle story

• Great beings created a giant robot named Mata Nui and fill it with biomechanical people. One of the people, Makuta, becomes jealous of Mata Nui's godlike status and put the giant robot into a deep slumber.
  • Mata Nui crashed into the ocean and an island formed over its head (named Mata Nui after him). The island was settled by the Matoran people who originally lived inside the head.
  • Makuta harassed the islanders, until six mighty Toa appeared to defend them. After a while, one of the Matoran transformed into a Toa of light and defeated Makuta, revealing the way to the Matoran's old home.
  • The Matoran and Toa settled their original home inside Mata Nui's head. Then they found out Mata Nui was dying and they needed the Mask of Life to revive him.
  • Six Matoran became Toa and fought various enemies to obtain the Mask of Life. One of them sacrificed himself to save Mata Nui.
  • Then the original six Toa went to Mata Nui's core to wake him up, fighting Makuta's forces. They woke up Mata Nui, but it turned out Makuta had hijacked the giant robot's body.
  • Mata Nui's mind was trapped inside the Mask of Life and sent to a distant planet where he had a bunch of pointless adventures. Then Mata Nui then got a new giant robot body and beat Makuta and the people inside the giant robot migrated to live on the planet.
Also there are a ton of loose ends because the story was cut short when the line ended

At its widest, how wide is the fully-operational Death Star?
This article calculated minifig scale to be about 29:1. Wikipedia says the DS design was 100,000 km in diameter. So a minifig scale DS would be 3,448 km or 2,142 miles in diameter.

Not sure if that was your question but I was thinking about this the other night after someone asked what I'd do if I had unlimited money.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This article calculated minifig scale to be about 29:1. Wikipedia says the DS design was 100,000 km in diameter. So a minifig scale DS would be 3,448 km or 2,142 miles in diameter.

Not sure if that was your question but I was thinking about this the other night after someone asked what I'd do if I had unlimited money.

That can't be right. Our moon is only 3,500km in Diameter and the Death Star is supposed to be a small moon.

Wookipedia even says the second Death Star (which was bigger) was ~160km in diameter.

Cruzito

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the Lego Movie Sets 70812 Creative Ambush and 70813 Rescue Reinforcements are discontinued?

So bummed I missed the sale. Been putting these off and now they're listed as sold out. :(

I love that there are articles about this; fantastic!

I should have specified I was looking for sizing on the Best Star...trying to figure out if I have room to display it.

Does anyone know if the Lego Movie Sets 70812 Creative Ambush and 70813 Rescue Reinforcements are discontinued?

So bummed I missed the sale. Been putting these off and now they're listed as sold out. :(

They were being clearanced on lego.com so it's very likely they are no longer making those sets. Local LEGO stores may have them. Check retail stores and Amazon. They may have some stock left. If you really want them, MSRP would be a good price since they will definitely go higher once other stores sell out.

ghostmind

They were being clearanced on lego.com so it's very likely they are no longer making those sets. Local LEGO stores may have them. Check retail stores and Amazon. They may have some stock left. If you really want them, MSRP would be a good price since they will definitely go higher once other stores sell out.

Both of these sets are now OOP. I would check your local LEGO store as soon as possible, as they may still have some in stock at the sale price.

Both of these sets are also retailer exclusives, so that makes it a bit more difficult to get at retail. Set 70812 is a Target exclusive, and is not available from their website any longer. Set 70813 is a TRU exclusive, but is still available from TRU.com.

Get 70811 Flying Flusher asap as well, because it doesn't have much time left, and it is a Walmart exclusive (and is still available via Walmart.com).

Lol. Meijer has all their clearance stuff an additional 50% off, so sets are close to 75% off right now. I almost grabbed a bunch of small sets for about $5-10 each, but felt this was a better deal.

Before tax for all of this: $86. :)

ghostmind

Lol. Meijer has all their clearance stuff an additional 50% off, so sets are close to 75% off right now. I almost grabbed a bunch of small sets for about $5-10 each, but felt this was a better deal.

2,334 pieces for $86 = 3.7 cents per piece.

Hell of a deal.

2,334 pieces for $86 = 3.7 cents per piece.

Hell of a deal.

The grey Ninjago mech dragon was only $27 or something. LEGO Movie Ice Cream Truck and Garbage Truck were $11 and change. They had a bunch of smaller Friends sets. The TMNT sets were marked down too. They also had Ultra Agents Hurricane Heist for $25. They even had one Super Secret Police Dropship for $32 left over, which I was tempted to snag just for parts.

It was so hard not to buy one of each of those, but I only had so much money. The Chima sets were no brainers because of the size.

I think the reason Meijer isn't cleaned out so quickly is they don't make it obvious what the price is. They just show the original markdown price, which is 25% off, and then there are random signs in other aisles that say take another 50% off of all clearance, so you have to do the math. And there are no signs saying the bigger discount on the LEGO aisle. It was awesome. Too bad I got the Ultra Agents HQ and Creator Family House last week when it was only an additional 25% off, but those I definitely wanted no matter what. The stuff tonight was just impulse based on price.

And all I was looking for were 2015 Creator sets and new Mixels. Which thankfully were not there.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Man, I really want dat Mammoth but it's $80+. Maybe it'll hit the inevitable Chima clearance that always happens? ;_;

ghostmind

I heard footage of Nuremberg is heavily controlled. Does that mean we won't get much in the way of pictures of the sets?

Pictures will happen, but they may not be as comprehensive as the NY show. The latter usually has way more video of set features as well.

I'm done trying to figure that one out - its become the new Tower of Orthanc for me. So, in other words I am expecting a random reveal in the middle of the day sometime, for no apparent reason.

The best way for a reveal really. No anticipation, just a bomb dropped with no warning.

Sadly, I blew most of my Helicarrier budget tonight with that clearance sale.

Man, I never get deals anywhere close to that. Nice pickup.

I managed to complete the Galaxy Squad theme today, swung by TRU and they still had the 30% off GS; I got the Titan, Vaporizer, and Stinger for about $130. I also got some of the new mixels (glowy and space guys).

Rootbeer

Banned
^ you could have saved an extra 20% at TRU since they have a coupon for rewards club members that applies to all clearance currently. It's a free program, too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just noticed that the plastic bags in the Camper Van don't have numbers, but on the vids I see with set build videos, they have numbered plastic bags. Is it a new thing? I guess it will help organizing and building stuff without having to unpack all at once.

Zerojul

I just noticed that the plastic bags in the Camper Van don't have numbers, but on the vids I see with set build videos, they have numbered plastic bags. Is it a new thing? I guess it will help organizing and building stuff without having to unpack all at once.

Some sets come with unnumbered bags. The infamous 10214 Tower Bridge - 4287 pieces - comes to mind. Awesome build, albeit a bit difficult when you just got out of your dak age and have not built Lego for a while, which was my case :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Some sets come with unnumbered bags. The infamous 10214 Tower Bridge - 4287 pieces - comes to mind. Awesome build, albeit a bit difficult when you just got out of your dak age and have not built Lego for a while, which was my case :)

Hmm isn't it also a 2011 set? Maybe sets at 2012 onwards have numbers

shiba5

Was playing with the motorized AT-AT. One dog just barked at it while the other hamstrung it and took it down.
Shiba Inu: 1
Lego AT-AT: 1 broken leg

^ you could have saved an extra 20% at TRU since they have a coupon for rewards club members that applies to all clearance currently. It's a free program, too.

Do they have to mail it to you or can I print it online? I've gotten a few in the past, but haven't seen one in awhile.

ghostmind

Nuremberg photos are starting to show up already!

60097 Town Square (specifically just the tram from that set)
AUBDYQO.jpg

31038 Changing Seasons
YMB9Ogq.jpg

42042 Crawler Crane
LIDpBB3.jpg

Architecture - The Louvre
lbknzEA.jpg

60078 Utility Shuttle (with 60079 Training Jet Transporter (to the right of that in the background))
KLwQY6P.jpg

70738 Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty
0NLBJad.jpg

70735 Ronin R.E.X
NGHVst9.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Do they have to mail it to you or can I print it online? I've gotten a few in the past, but haven't seen one in awhile.

nope now you can just flash it on your cellphone. it's a unique code so it doesn't matter if it's printed or digital.

they've resent me e-mails about it like 5 times this month. They REALLY want to get rid of those clearance items.

You all should make sure you are a Rewards R Us member even if you don't use TRU very often.

I should note that they DO occasionally send printed fliers with vouchers or coupons too but those are more rare these days. Often times they only apply on Baby items, but sometimes there will be a good one that applies to the whole store (minus certain things like electronics, etc.)

So, I was going to collect the parts for UCS R2-D2 since I already had a bunch of them, and I ordered the unique parts to get started. I had looked around for shops in Sweden and none had it online.

Today I went to a shop here... and they had it. And I kind of bought it. It was kind of an impulse buy, but I wanted it, and it would probably cost almost as much to piece it together.

I just don't know if I should keep this sealed and keep collecting, or if I should just build it. Even if it becomes more expensive, a complete copy should keep its value if I should decide to sell it off later, right?

So, I was going to collect the parts for UCS R2-D2 since I already had a bunch of them, and I ordered the unique parts to get started. I had looked around for shops in Sweden and none had it online.

Today I went to a shop here... and they had it. And I kind of bought it. It was kind of an impulse buy, but I wanted it, and it would probably cost almost as much to piece it together.

I just don't know if I should keep this sealed and keep collecting, or if I should just build it. Even if it becomes more expensive, a complete copy should keep its value if I should decide to sell it off later, right?
Build it! Besides, since you got it officially you now have the swell info plaque to put in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom