• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit it, I giggled like a little kid when the turbines started moving.

And man, was Bessa enthusiastic in that video. More enthusiastic than his other designer vids, and it is infectious.

He also said this was the third Quinjet he designed. So that means he either made the previous Quinjet poly, or he designed the upcoming Quinjet 2.

robochimp

I was only interested in the Helicarrier to do with my son, but there aren't really any play opportunities so I'll pass.

I'm an pretty excited about the nanofigs and their possible use in UCS versions of the massive Star Wars ships.

ghostmind

I was only interested in the Helicarrier to do with my son, but there aren't really any play opportunities so I'll pass.

I'm an pretty excited about the nanofigs and their possible use in UCS versions of the massive Star Wars ships.

Yeah, I'm now wishing that they had come up with the nanofig idea when they released the Super Star Destroyer. They could have made a much better bridge section that way.

LOVE THIS
5iFOEWV.jpg

ghostmind

NOTE - in the official pics, the entire runway is printed, even the SHIELD logo.

hBxw3qD.jpg

irj8Pnr.jpg

EDIT: OR NOT - there is one small section with stickers in the above image. weird.

It is stickers in that image because it is a section only 4 studs long and not the 16 studs like the rest of the printed runway pieces.

EDIT: However, I think the small 2x2 round SHIELD logos might be stickers.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not a big fan to be honest. Which is fine by me, I need to save money.

Seems really cheap not to include a minifig of all the Avengers for that stand.

ghostmind

It is stickers in that image because it is a section only 4 studs long and not the 16 studs like the rest of the printed runway pieces.

EDIT: However, I think the small 2x2 round SHIELD logos might be stickers.

I think you may be right about the small SHIELD logos.

I might not apply the runway stickers - for such a small section I'm not sure if it is worth it.

ruxtpin

Banned
*sigh* Fine. I'll buy it Lego. And I'll enjoy building it.

I'll probably be moving up to PA in May/June timeframe. I need to put a freeze on buying stuff until I'm re-located. However, if something is going OOP the missus has said that's fine - though I probably won't build it until I get up there.

ghostmind

The very front part of the runway has the same set of stickers too - guess I will be applying them.

Thinking about it though, if you got an extra runway plate and cut two sections down to the proper size, you might be able to make your own printed runway for those sections.

kapowza

I hope there is a little Galaga sticker for one of the redshirts' monitors.

w00t. The shop said 28/02 shipping when I ordered my Pet Shop but it's shipped today. Only downside is I'll need to find somewhere to put my Haunted House or Orthanc if I want all my modulars in a row.

Toxi

Banned
The one thing that bugs me the most about the Lego Velociraptors: The hands. I can tolerate the ginormous size, the lack of feathers, and the weird-shaped head, but those stupid downwards-facing puppy hands look awful. They don't look like dinosaurs, they look like they're walkin' the dinosaur.

Cause JP3 was actually good.
BMqRqbl.gif

C'mon, you knew it was coming.

After watching the video and seeing the additional close-up pics, I'm leaning more towards getting it. At first, I was wondering what the heck are microfigures, but in the end, I think Lego hit a homerun with them. That bridge section is fantastic!! And I totally agree with you Ghostmind, they should've done the same thing with the SSD bridge. Just think if they did that and had Vader with all the bounty hunters in microfigure scale in the SSD bridge! OMG...it hurts to think that Lego didn't think of doing that.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The microfigures look very interesting. Tempted to get a few and re-paint them. Would be great in micro MOCs. Always wanted LEGO to add arms to the microfigures from the board games.

Experien

The one thing that bugs me the most about the Lego Velociraptors: The hands. I can tolerate the ginormous size, the lack of feathers, and the weird-shaped head, but those stupid downwards-facing puppy hands look awful. They don't look like dinosaurs, they look like they're walkin' the dinosaur.

BMqRqbl.gif

C'mon, you knew it was coming.

I don't think
a scene of a guy dreaming of something tramatic ruins a movie
so :p at least their was no gymnastic scene!

OH GOD THE STICKERS

Edit: Look at 1:58 in the video, when Marcus removes a portion of the runway. I think those stickers just killed my interest.

Edit #2: Oh. It looks like only a portion of the runway is stickers. Overreacting is fun.

Yeah, almost the entirety of both runways is printed - not sure why that one section isn't.

I think it just comes down to cost. There are multiples of the same plate for majority of the runway so they only need one setup for printing those.

I like the new version of the microfigures. The collector in me would probably want all those new microfigures if LEGO made a line of those for their different themes (mainly Super Heroes and Star Wars).

I wonder if the "studs" on those microfigures are the same size as a rod (seems too small) and has an actual function or if they are just for show.

EDIT: Looking closely at those microfigures it looks like they can make them with two colors (head and body) only which limits the design choices a lot. If you look at Hawkeye, the head is all hair with the face printed on. That limitation would make a whole line of microfigs less appealing to me where you need hair and hands of different colors. Also where torso and legs need to be different colors.

Fowler

Helicarrier thoughts...

- Looks good! My one complaint: It seems a bit stubby? I feel like it should be longer. Not much longer, but a little bit longer.
- There's a bridge! Called it!
- Love the microfigures, the scale is just right and they look good... I just wish there were more original characters and fewer Agents of SHIELD.
- As everyone's noted, the stand is awesome and is a trend I want to see continue. (Can we thank wetwired for this, since Ghostbusters kicked it off, or was that Bessa's idea?)
- Easy conversion to power functions? This might be the first "powered" set I build since a train my parents bought me in 1990 (ish).
- I'm wondering if the exposed studs are what makes it look smaller to me.

But the thing I'm most excited about...

- CAPTAIN AMERICA WITH HELMET OFF. Cap looks weird with that helmet minifig head. But with a normal head and hair? That's great.

Hellicarrier get. Oh my wallet is going to hate me so much... But I need it if only for the new S.H.I.E.L.D. minifigs. The nanofigs look hilariously cute too strangely.

I do wish it was more longer and less stubby but eh, it is what it is.

NOTE - in the official pics, the entire runway is printed, even the SHIELD logo.

hBxw3qD.jpg

irj8Pnr.jpg

EDIT: OR NOT - there is one small section with stickers in the above image. weird.

If you count the studs next to the plates you can see that small 4x8 stud section is not part of the 16x8 plate. Seems a bit weird. Almost like it has a function that wasn't shown in the video...or maybe it's just filler in the middle instead of the ends for proportions.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, I'm now wishing that they had come up with the nanofig idea when they released the Super Star Destroyer. They could have made a much better bridge section that way.

LOVE THIS
5iFOEWV.jpg

I thought that was considered an illegal connection with those screens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom