• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh LEGO-GAF....what have you made me do?

87bMaCu.png

I've given into fear.

3N16MA

Banned
Anyone know why the Canadian price for the Red Five X-wing seems out of place in comparison to the other large Star Wars sets? $250 which seems kind of high when the Slave I is $230 with 400 more pieces.

Every UCS available right now has a lower price per brick.

Alright, changed my mind on a lot of these sets after finally seeing clear pictures of them here. Skull Grinder looks amazing. Ugh, august is gonna be such a long wait.

There's a lot if metal grey in not too find of but I think it'll look better in person.

Also a ton of new pieces, primarily the bone styled limbs!

Looks like we only get two or three new mask molds.

The torso bone pieces look awesome. Probably my favorite of the new parts. The chest piece prints look awesome as well.

wetwired

I might bricklink the exclusive figs but I'm not a massive marvel guy and it also falls into the star wars UCS category for me...too much grey

Good nose on you!

That's why it is going into the closet of mystery.

The good thing is you can hide a LOT of LEGO sets behind that box so it doesn't look like that many in there.

Better watch out for those meddling kids and and their dog. The closet of mystery may no longer be a mystery someday.

R-User!

The new Helicarrier!!!

What a parts pack!

I still don't know if I want this beast but I'm leaning more towards yes now than no, so there's that!

Helicarrier looks great but it is way beyond my price range and I have no where to put it elsewhere, I will just have to check it out when my store puts it on display and admire it that way/

3N16MA

Banned
I just got back into LEGO so no Helicarrier for me with all the other sets I want. Staring at all the modular buildings available and my mind is bursting with Star Wars sets.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Whatever happened to the rumored Lego Movie UCS Batwing? I just walked by my Lego Movie Batman poster and thought of it.

Speaking from experience (I designed one in LDD, parted it out and spent £120 to make it), it's not a hugely feasible model. It's unwieldy and unstable as the wings are too big and heavy. It's also entirely black, making for a boring and at times hard-to-look-at build.

That is, making a 1:1 copy, which nearly all the LEGO Movie sets are at least (save for Sea Cow, Emmett's Mech and the Melting Room).

They could build something that looks a bit/a lot like it but uses bigger or fewer pieces than the 'real' thing, but it wouldn't be the same as all but one of the other LEGO Movie sets.

Was it ever more than hearsay that this was going to be a legit release? We technically did get a UCS release for TLM (Sea Cow).

Ponn

Banned
I just knew the Helicarrier would be announced and revealed a day when I was out all day away from my computer.

Holy Cow. HOLY FREAKING COW!!

It was funny seeing the initial hater posts on it then a slight turn around. Honestly on the comparisons with that MOC i'm siding with the official version. That is a nice MOC, i'm not taking anything away from it but honestly its TOO slick looking. It looks more like a plastic toy at first glance and I like the charm of studs showing and knowing the model is built from Lego kind of like the Tumbler. Could it be longer? Yea thats probably my one gripe after seeing it but not a deal breaker. The price? There are some specialized bigger parts like the printed runways. The nanofigures are pretty cool and novel. I'm a little disappointed at the fig choices. Like Maria Hill, like maskless Cap, already got Nick Fury and meh another Hawkeye. Really was hoping for a Bruce Banner fig and maybe some villains like Crossbones.

Power functions are intriguing but really only interested in the light up one. I agree with Phon it was funny seeing Bessa in the video. He did seem really giddy about it and that makes me feel good about a set when the designer is really into it like that. I notice a clear stand/rod piece holding one of the quinjets in one of the pictures. I wonder if thats part of the set.

Oh man, i'm just so conflicted now. I really don't think I can hold out till march on this. Excuse me while I go dance a jig.

I got almost $400 worth of sets today. My sets from the BST thread showed up, I spent almost $250 at toys r us (Galaxy squad galore, mixels, the mine, mechdragon, Jedi defender) all on clearance with additional discounts, and my shop at home order arrived. I'm going to need a forbidden storage unit of mystery soon.

Here's a funny exchange between my wife and I:

I got almost $400 worth of sets today. My sets from the BST thread showed up, I spent almost $250 at toys r us (Galaxy squad galore, mixels, the mine, mechdragon, Jedi defender) all on clearance with additional discounts, and my shop at home order arrived. I'm going to need a forbidden storage unit of mystery soon.

Here's a funny exchange between my wife and I:

kKCuzzE.gif

ghostmind

Between the Helicarrier, Fairground Mixer, and I bet the upcoming Ferris Wheel, I am going to have to invest in some more Power Functions parts

Toxi

Banned
Interesting detail I didn't notice: Skull Basher, one of the summer Bionicle sets, has a unique torso build that does not include a gear box. Presumably the set has a different kind of built-in play function.

I have definitely turned around on the Helicarrier after seeing the video. I agree that the visible studs let people know it's made of Lego and not a massive plastic model. I do appreciate that there was a good variety of colours used and not all gray. Shame they didn't show off the power functions as I would loved to see that. The picture of the bridge with all the nanofigures looks amazing. Nearly every comment I have seen, on every website I've gone on has mentioned the lack of a coulson fig. Do marvel and Lego not realise his popularity? I'll have to extend that glorious looking stand and fit the rest of the Avengers on. Which iron to use hmmmmm.

Great news about the Lego games. Very strange there are no videos or even screen shots.

I wish they had given the entire crew in this set.

Steve Rogers
Tony Stark
Bruce Banner
Shakespeare in the woods
Black Widow
Hawkguy
Phil, Son of Coul
Nick Fury
Maria Hill

Could have had most of them in plain clothes as exclusives instead of suited up.

Interesting detail I didn't notice: Skull Basher, one of the summer Bionicle sets, has a unique torso build that does not include a gear box. Presumably the set has a different kind of built-in play function.

I'd imagine his arms swing in and he 'bashes' his weapons together.

QNrvJaY.png

Skull grinder looks so menacing. I love his design, possibly could be my favorite set of the entire year actually. People complain about the bone pieces being too thin but I think it actually adds to his design. Plus its intentional since, you know, he's a skeleton dude.

Ponn

Banned
Between the Helicarrier, Fairground Mixer, and I bet the upcoming Ferris Wheel, I am going to have to invest in some more Power Functions parts

I'm looking at the lights right now. Do they require the battery pack as well or do you put a battery in them? Do we know yet if you need more then one of them?

I'm looking at the lights right now. Do they require the battery pack as well or do you put a battery in them? Do we know yet if you need more then one of them?

I've been looking at lights as well, but I was going to go the route that Wetwired did and solder some myself. I've also looked at 3rd party makers of LED lights, some specifically for LEGO or models.

I like lifelites, but they are very pricey especially to add extra LEDs. Also, they run at 5v which makes it compatible with microcontrollers and such, but I don't think I need that.

I'm probably gonna try a DIY solution first.

Here's my shortlist:
http://www.brickstuff.com/
http://www.lifelites.com/
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/led-sizes-explained.html

1.8mm LED Lights
3mm LED Lights
5mm LED Lights

3.2mm LED Chip
1.6mm LED Nano Chip
1mm LED Pico Chip

Wetwired, what voltage LEDs did you end up using and what power source?

Ponn

Banned
I've been looking at lights as well, but I was going to go the route that Wetwired did and solder some myself. I've also looked at 3rd party makers of LED lights, some specifically for LEGO or models.

I like lifelites, but they are very pricey especially to add extra LEDs. Also, they run at 5v which makes it compatible with microcontrollers and such, but I don't think I need that.

I'm probably gonna try a DIY solution first.

Here's my shortlist:
http://www.brickstuff.com/
http://www.lifelites.com/
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/led-sizes-explained.html

1.8mm LED Lights
3mm LED Lights
5mm LED Lights

3.2mm LED Chip
1.6mm LED Nano Chip
1mm LED Pico Chip

Wetwired, what voltage LEDs did you end up using and what power source?

Nice, someone must have suggested that last link because I had that in my bookmark list. Must have been looking for my haunted house. Takes aaa batteries to with 5 LED's and a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom