• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pratt takes over the Indiana Jones role, as rumored, then that will be 4 for him.

Then he just needs to be in a Star Wars movie...

holy shit.... that's a thing?

didn't know, and i just got my mind blown by that hmmm

On Topic though: can't wait for WALL-E, how awesome is that gonna be???

Dr Who: ehhh.... never got around to watching it unless the old ass one counts but thats like... what? 30 years ago? lol

Ponn

Banned
So, I got a new polybag set, and I want to give it a shout out.

91uguyBHTLL._SL1500_.jpg

Probably my favorite polybag ever. I can get rid of the big quinjet without regrets now. I love this little thing.

Did you get that from Amazon or somewhere else? Wonder if its the same build as the ones in the Helicarrier set. Could make a fleet of them for the Helicarrier.

Dr Who: ehhh.... never got around to watching it unless the old ass one counts but thats like... what? 30 years ago? lol

There was an old Tom Baker episode that scared me for years...something about the reflection of a snake's skull saying "look...at....me". Didn't watch again until the 9th doctor and now I'm totally hooked. Really pleased we're going to get a set (sets?).

I've never seen the Wal-e movie but the submitted build looks interesting.

Not a thing in the next wave appeals to me, but something tells me they'll do the piano, or a series of instruments.

Excited for that Doctor Who set (I'm pretty sure that was the one I voted for lol) and that Wall-E looks great.

Can't wait to see the final versions but I'm hoping that at least the DW set is as close to the fan model as possible, since even Ten has a rather standard color for LEGO hair.

I know for a fact that my wife is going to want the Doctor Who set and my daughter and son will love Wall-E. Win-win for this household.

R-User!

Oh man, stoked for WALL-E for me and Doctor Who for my girlfriend!

Also, not that sad about Wayne Manor, UCS AT-AT, Lightsabers or the X-Mansion not making it; those sets belong to popular lines so it's not hard to imagine those will make it as future LEGO sets, if not as those specific models. A bit sad about the Ghostbusters Fire Brigade, but not massively so because I never really expected that one to make it.

Shocked they're not making the Hubble, though. That had LEGO Ideas written all over it.

PS: Anyone spot any new sets in the shots of LEGO Offices?

I thought I spied the UCS Tie Fighter...

Also, stoked about the a WALL-E set!!

"Obi-Wall-E Kenobi, meet R2-D2!"

wetwired

Pratt is now tied with Alfred Molina and Liam Neeson for the second most LEGO Minifigs for a character with 3.

I actually hope no one ever tops Warwick Davis' 4.

I don't really count them unless it's their actual likeness, so for me emmett doesn't count, Alfred Molina is still the winner as far as I'm concerned

Maengun1

I was at my local Shopko today (basically K-Mart but I think it's only in the midwest), and they have 1 remaining Benny's Spaceship set on clearance for $69. On top of that I knew I had a coupon at home for $10 off any purchase of $50 or more. So...thinking about picking it up tomorrow if it's still there. $59 seems like a great price for it.

Anyone here have that one? Recommended?

Its so weird how every time someone does cool shit that takes a lot of dedication like this 90% of the comments are just people saying 'lol bet he doesn't have a life' or 'girlfriend repellant'. I guess people in general are just assholes.
I wish I hadn't read those comments. It makes no sense - a guy applies his skills, time, effort to create something awesome, and people shit all over it. I would say it's a pretty safe bet that most of these people don't create anything, just consume. As if he's forsaken everything else in life to build a Lego spaceship. People can't have productive and balanced lives and be creative in their spare time? smh.

What's especially bizarre is that there are a bunch of IGN users calling out a guy for having no life. Like, what? Stop wasting your time denigrating people on the internet before casting stones.

I was at my local Shopko today (basically K-Mart but I think it's only in the midwest), and they have 1 remaining Benny's Spaceship set on clearance for $69. On top of that I knew I had a coupon at home for $10 off any purchase of $50 or more. So...thinking about picking it up tomorrow if it's still there. $59 seems like a great price for it.

DO IT! I haven't built mine yet but it gets much praise here.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Pratt is now tied with Alfred Molina and Liam Neeson for the second most LEGO Minifigs for a character with 3.

I actually hope no one ever tops Warwick Davis' 4.

Everyone forgets Clancy Brown--tied with Warwick Davis.

Mr. Krabs (SpongeBob SquarePants)
Lex Luthor (DC Super Heroes)
Savage Opress (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
Dogpound (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

That is, if we're counting voice acting roles, which you totally should.

Wooh,

All Toa and Protectors get!

Got Gali and her protector :)

Still need to build it, and after this all I need is the Skullspider Lord. I'll grab him during a sale or later... no rush on him :p

Toxi

Banned
Wooh,

All Toa and Protectors get!

Got Gali and her protector :)

Still need to build it, and after this all I need is the Skullspider Lord. I'll grab him during a sale or later... no rush on him :p
I still need Onua to complete the Toa. My local Target didn't seem to receive any.

I just got Kopaka... And I really like him. Kopaka and Tahu were always my least favorites of the original six, but their new forms won me over. I love having Kopaka charging forward with the spear while holding up the shield.

After I finally get Onua, I might get another Lord of Skull Spiders just for the parts.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I don't know if I could count Lex Luthor. I know he's the defining voice, but none of the sets are based specifically on things he's done.

OK, I'm flip flopping again. I'm with wetwired. I'm only counting if the minifig is based on their likeness.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I don't know if I could count Lex Luthor. I know he's the defining voice, but none of the sets are based specifically on things he's done.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in one of the LEGO threads before, but this promotional polybag:

5WMYkKn.jpg

Was given away with LEGO Batman 2 pre-orders. The figure is directly based on Lex's appearance in that game (in both his armor and his weapon). And who voices Lex in that game? Oh, you'd better believe it's Clancy Brown.

GIVE THE MAN HIS DUE!

OK, I'm flip flopping again. I'm with wetwired. I'm only counting if the minifig is based on their likeness.

Totally disrespecting the talents of voice actors. A performance is a performance. As if any minifigure actually captures an actor's true likeness--it's all stylized.

End of last night...

End of tonight. Most of the greebling is done, and the stand is all set. God, how I HATE the step of attaching the stands to this thing. They actually call for you to turn it upside down to attach the stands. That ain't happening. The top is already uneven and has all of the detail you see there. There is no way I am going to risk applying pressure in any way on the top of it like that. I did take a chance this time and lay it on the side to put them on, and that worked just fine. But still, that step sucks bad.

Tomorrow, the final greeble and plates on top to polish it off. It shouldn't take too long.

Fantomex

w1V6hOfl.jpg

Bought this for my youngest niece and one for my nephew.

Good! Wanted to share this with you. I was able to purchase this set today for $13.98 at target. It even scans on the price checkers and registers. It's usually $45 on Amazon and Lego.com. Not i. Clearance or anything just the regular price. I recommend it based on fun and bang for your buck. The train is actually battery powered.

k2-_3490a6ed-38a8-46bd-9100-abc6e35d3510.v1.jpg

http://youtu.be/jvcOmdeR6m0

For $59 it's a steal. At full price it's still awesome. Either way you can't go wrong with the set.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did you get that from Amazon or somewhere else? Wonder if its the same build as the ones in the Helicarrier set. Could make a fleet of them for the Helicarrier.

Got through Amazon, and as others have pointed out, it's a bit bigger than the Helicarrier ones.

Man, trying to buy old Lego sets on Bricklink and the prices have gone up over the years. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I guess it means I just have to sell off a few of these unwanted sets I have if I wanted to get some.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in one of the LEGO threads before, but this promotional polybag:

5WMYkKn.jpg

Was given away with LEGO Batman 2 pre-orders. The figure is directly based on Lex's appearance in that game (in both his armor and his weapon). And who voices Lex in that game? Oh, you'd better believe it's Clancy Brown.

GIVE THE MAN HIS DUE!

Totally disrespecting the talents of voice actors. A performance is a performance. As if any minifigure actually captures an actor's true likeness--it's all stylized.

I don't disrespect voice actors at all. I always think it's a shame when animated theatrical movies pick big name actors instead of going with talented voice actors. Big name actors do a great job usually, but I feel movies could save a lot of money and get just as good performances from voice actors.

I'm just saying the minifig represents the character more than the actor unless the minifig is made in the likeness of the actor. You could change the voice actor and the minifig would look exactly the same.

I have that Lex Luther minifig. It's awesome. It's one of the versions in the comics that I grew up with.

I want a Clancy Brown minifig now...

Guy's awesome! Preferably in his preacher outfit from the secret best show noone watched, Carnivale!

Also, Palacebrother: you haven't seen WALL-E yet? You need to get on that, like ASAP, brother... ;)

Vargas

I want a Clancy Brown minifig now...

Guy's awesome! Preferably in his preacher outfit from the secret best show noone watched, Carnivale!

Also, Palacebrother: you haven't seen WALL-E yet? You need to get on that, like ASAP, brother... ;)

If we get a Clancy Brown minifig it has to be Gus,

It looks like he has also done Taskmaster, Mr Freeze, The Flash and Gorilla Grodd at various points. Red Hulk & Odin too, but that just adds to his Decool resume.

Yeah, I keep meaning to. It's sadly not about princesses or Australian mermaids so it's hard to convince my girls...

Got the latest issue of Blocks magazine last night, they have an article about the new London Lego office, turns out it's in the old building my last job was in and is viewable from my current company office.

I need to head up to the top floor with a zoom lens!

550_legolondonoffice_windowview.jpg

I don't really count them unless it's their actual likeness, so for me emmett doesn't count, Alfred Molina is still the winner as far as I'm concerned

Also counting Griphook for Warwick Davies is dubious; Warwick played Griphook in Deathly Hallows but the minifig is from Philospher's Stone, when he was played by Verne Troyer.

Toxi

Banned
Random cool thing: If you have some a couple extra silver Skull Spiders, you can clip them onto Gali's legs as extra hip armor (Sorta like faulds). They match the segmented look of the torso piece well and give the set wider hips like the original Gali set had. They also don't hinder the articulation at all.

thEioaf.jpg

Got the latest issue of Blocks magazine last night, they have an article about the new London Lego office, turns out it's in the old building my last job was in and is viewable from my current company office.

I need to head up to the top floor with a zoom lens!

550_legolondonoffice_windowview.jpg
That's awesome!

Hopefully they don't assume you're a voyeur. :p

Anyone have experience taking a toddler to a Legoland Discovery Center?
We'll be visiting some friends in Chicago soon and were thinking of taking the 3-1/2 year old to Legoland Chicago. I've never been to it. I know there's a Duplo Village part of it, but I'm wondering if most of the attractions would be lost on her at this age? She loves her Duplo blocks, but still struggles with the Juniors Lego stuff.

Fowler

Yeah, counting actors and minifigs is tricky. To me it's like... was this minifig based on this person's character?

Emmet is a specific character played by Chris Pratt. So, it's Chris Pratt.

But I wouldn't give Mark Hamill the Joker, because the minifigs seem to be based on the character of the Joker in general, not Hamill's specific portrayal. (Not including the Heath Ledger Joker, of course.)

Really this just gets way complicated way fast unless you either include all or go with wetwired's rule, because that's clearer and more obvious. But I am a weirdo who likes to think about these things, so...

Random cool thing: If you have some a couple extra silver Skull Spiders, you can clip them onto Gali's legs as extra hip armor (Sorta like faulds). They match the segmented look of the torso piece well and give the set wider hips like the original Gali set had. They also don't hinder the articulation at all.

thEioaf.jpg

Nice! I got her last night, so Ill try that out... Out of all the Toa she is my least favorite build. Her Protector is also the worse build IMHO, though the arms on it are better than the Ice and Fire protectors. Oddly, I like the Water protector's color scheme (dark blue) more than Gali's (Light Aqua Blue) but I know that's just my opinion.

Even though I'll keep them assembled the water Toa and protector seem like superb parts sets.

Yeah, counting actors and minifigs is tricky. To me it's like... was this minifig based on this person's character?

But I wouldn't give Mark Hamill the Joker, because the minifigs seem to be based on the character of the Joker in general, not Hamill's specific portrayal. (Not including the Heath Ledger Joker, of course.)

Really this just gets way complicated way fast unless you either include all or go with wetwired's rule, because that's clearer and more obvious. But I am a weirdo who likes to think about these things, so...

Use the KISS method. Just count it if the minifig is based on the actual actor's facial appearance.

I dont think its that complicated. If its based on something someone specifically did than its their minifig. It wouldn't be Mark Hamill's joker if it was just a generic joker, but if it was a lego set for Batman: The Animated Series or specifically any of the animated movies that he's voiced in, then yes it would be.

I think its a little too unfair to just avoid all voice work altogether because a voice can literally define a character, and with the lego movie I do not associate anyone else with Emmet besides Chris Pratt.

Finally built the Exo-Suit from my backlog.

It's a lot more solid than I expected. Some posted that pieces easily fell off. I see that parts could fall off if you do grab and move it in the wrong spots, but I haven't had any issues with that.

I take that back, there is one area where the parts do come off too easily. Those binoculars on the feet. I just took them off.

I love the greeble work and how it was accomplished with the ball joints. It's a great parts pack, but at the MSRP price it's too much for me to pick up a lot of those for the green classic space minifigs and parts. If it ever was ~$25 I'd pick up a few more.

"Pizza delivery!"
TkuxGFg.jpg

Finally built the Exo-Suit from my backlog.

It's a lot more solid than I expected. Some posted that pieces easily fell off. I see that parts could fall off if you do grab and move it in the wrong spots, but I haven't had any issues with that.

I take that back, there is one area where the parts do come off too easily. Those binoculars on the feet. I just took them off.

I love the greeble work and how it was accomplished with the ball joints. It's a great parts pack, but at the MSRP price it's too much for me to pick up a lot of those for the green classic space minifigs and parts. If it ever was ~$25 I'd pick up a few more.

Yeah, I never understood the complaints about it. I was blown away. To me the binoculars don't even fall off that easily, maybe i just got lucky. Its fantastic and has a lot of detail crammed into it, easily in my top 5 sets last year. Looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom