• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. Just found out about the 2009/2010 Space Police theme. That looks like the coolest. On the one hand, I'm really mad that I missed out on that. On the other hand, it would've taken all of my money from me.

3N16MA

Banned
I plan on diving into the modular building sometime this year. From what I am reading Pet Shop should be the first one I purchase do it being the most likely to be retired. Is this correct?

I plan on diving into the modular building sometime this year. From what I am reading Pet Shop should be the first one I purchase do it being the most likely to be retired. Is this correct?

In theory, since it is the oldest. But, Town Hall was newer yet disappeared first.

But Pet Shop and Palace Cinema will be the next to die somehow. The order is up in the air. If you have the means, just get both at once. But if you can choose only one, make it Pet Shop.

After that, you have the two best modulars in years: Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office.

3N16MA

Banned
In theory, since it is the oldest. But, Town Hall was newer yet disappeared first.

But Pet Shop and Palace Cinema will be the next to die somehow. The order is up in the air. If you have the means, just get both at once. But if you can choose only one, make it Pet Shop.

After that, you have the two best modulars in years: Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office.

Thanks.

ghostmind

The Town Hall is going bananas in the aftermarket. Short lifespan combined with fewer units sold equals $450 to $600 already.

Edit: the TH is killing the HH in the aftermarket, though the HH has already doubled

The Town Hall is going bananas in the aftermarket. Short lifespan combined with fewer units sold equals $450 to $600 already.
Good lord. I don't want to sell my stuff, but when I see prices like that it gets so tempting.

Impressive for a set that most deemed the worst of the modulars... (or second worst depending on who you ask)
It is probably the fact that people want to complete the series, and MOCers like the wealth of dark orange pieces.

ghostmind

Good lord. I don't want to sell my stuff, but when I see prices like that it gets so tempting.

It is probably the fact that people want to complete the series, and MOCers like the wealth of dark orange pieces.

Last year I increased my home insurance policy to accommodate the increasing value of many of my sets. It adds up quickly when you start assessing your collection.

Edit: the TH is killing the HH in the aftermarket, though the HH has already doubled

Yeah there is probably an aftermarket Town Hall purchase in my future.... ugh I can't believe I fell asleep and missed a modular.

It's not so obscenely expensive that bricklinking is worth it yet, right?

Hmmm. I wonder if an alternate-color bricklinking would save me some money. The orange isn't especially common, huh?

How bizarre. If it gets stupidly expensive, I'll need to tear down my MOC and sell it.

A few parts are unique, like the clock face, the shields, the dark green 1x1 hinge post and the dark orange 1x4 arch. The rest should be possible to get, but since there's so many parts it will quickly drain the BL resources.

I'll keep an eye out. I bet there's a ton of these stashed away in Swedish shops.

Ponn

Banned
I love that my HH is worth so much but i could never part with it. It looks to fantastic and is a centerpiece at Halloween time.

Ryuuroden

Impressive for a set that most deemed the worst of the modulars... (or second worst depending on who you ask)

Shit makes me wonder if I want to open my other 3 town halls (I own 4 of them.) I have opened the box but not the bags for 3 of them. I got them for the parts years ago so I could build a city hall but shit man, reselling is starting to make some sense in this instance. I still have the boxes too so I can sell the sets as complete with everything verified.

Kipp

^ Ryuuroden, you could be a very rich man. Do it.

Some of you guys were mentioning that the Castle Forest Ambush was a great parts pack, so just wanted to give a heads up that there's one on Amazon Warehouse for $6.54.

On a related note, checking MyBrickDeal for sales has become an addiction.

i don't think anyones gonna get "rich" by selling Lego but some could very well make some nice spare change on the side by selling certain sets in bulk.... then again, first you need a buyer for the price you're asking!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hmmm. I need to unload a few LEGO sets. Maybe Town Hall will be a good one to go.

How much is a used TH going for?

i don't think anyones gonna get "rich" by selling Lego but some could very well make some nice spare change on the side by selling certain sets in bulk.... then again, first you need a buyer for the price you're asking!

I've done this once, and I still don't know how it will play out. I bought two Fire Brigades, and I have one still unopened.

How bizarre. If it gets stupidly expensive, I'll need to tear down my MOC and sell it.

A few parts are unique, like the clock face, the shields, the dark green 1x1 hinge post and the dark orange 1x4 arch. The rest should be possible to get, but since there's so many parts it will quickly drain the BL resources.

I'll keep an eye out. I bet there's a ton of these stashed away in Swedish shops.
The clock face got used in Santas Workshop last year, so the price of that piece should tumble some.

For those complaining about the current Mos Eisley Cantina set being too small, you could always MOC this.

16159078850_0f9e04b796_h.jpg

Mos Eisley Cantina by I Scream Clone, on Flickr

Regarding the Town Hall, the moral of the story is buy all modulars and sell later if you have buyers regret. So far Town Hall is the only modular that I have missed.

Pohatu or Lord of Skull Spiders? I already have the other five Toa and am deciding what to get next.

I was thinking about getting two LoSS and giving him 8 legs and covering up the technic stuff on the back with another shell

Ryuuroden

For those complaining about the current Mos Eisley Cantina set being too small, you could always MOC this.

Regarding the Town Hall, the moral of the story is buy all modulars and sell later if you have buyers regret. So far Town Hall is the only modular that I have missed.

and its a "NEVER AGAIN" story for you I hope. I did what I could to push everyone to buy it. Even let you all know it was going to be going OOP before Pet Shop way back near the end of 2013 so I did my part :). Also mentioned that it would be OOP by the end of 2014 at that time too. So far the info I received was accurate on every single set except Orthanc which I also said would be gone by 2015. (accurate on HH, R2D2, and several other exclusives) (I believe I called HH to the very month it would vanish :0 ) Unfortunately I no longer have that source I got all my info from so I no longer know as much inside info as I used to when it comes to printing runs and stuff.

Toxi

Banned
Pohatu or Lord of Skull Spiders? I already have the other five Toa and am deciding what to get next.

I was thinking about getting two LoSS and giving him 8 legs and covering up the technic stuff on the back with another shell
I'd get Pohatu first, just to complete the Toa line-up.

I do like the Lord of Skull Spiders though, and it's a fun change of pace if you're sick of the Toa build. Two Lord of Skull Spiders also means a lot of parts for MOCing.

I'd get Pohatu first, just to complete the Toa line-up.

I do like the Lord of Skull Spiders though, and it's a fun change of pace if you're sick of the Toa build. Two Lord of Skull Spiders also means a lot of parts for MOCing.

Yeah, I'm gonna get LoSS just cause I'm already having CCBS fatigue and need something more unique.

Yeah, I'm gonna get LoSS just cause I'm already having CCBS fatigue and need something more unique.

Yeah I'm a bit burnt out on the CCBS builds but after finishing all the Toa and Protectors, but man, I really dislike the skull spider lord for some reason... I'm sure I'll like it more in person though.

Pohatu is pretty badass to be entirely honest. I feel like he'd fit in well in a Mad Max tpe of setting.

ghostmind

and its a "NEVER AGAIN" story for you I hope. I did what I could to push everyone to buy it. Even let you all know it was going to be going OOP before Pet Shop way back near the end of 2013 so I did my part :). Also mentioned that it would be OOP by the end of 2014 at that time too. So far the info I received was accurate on every single set except Orthanc which I also said would be gone by 2015. (accurate on HH, R2D2, and several other exclusives) (I believe I called HH to the very month it would vanish :0 ) Unfortunately I no longer have that source I got all my info from so I no longer know as much inside info as I used to when it comes to printing runs and stuff.

Regarding the big sets going OOP...

8YDODw8.gif

Sorry to those of you that have to pay aftermarket prices. Most of us have had to for one set or another, especially those that went OOP before we emerged from our Dark Age.

Ryuuroden

Regarding the big sets going OOP...

8YDODw8.gif

Sorry to those of you that have to pay aftermarket prices. Most of us have had to for one set or another, especially those that went OOP before we emerged from our Dark Age.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, sorry if it sounds like I was gloating or something, I wasn't. I have also been in the situation of being screwed missing out on sets that blew up on the aftermarket that I had a short period of time to get when I came out of my dark ages but didn't. (Market District, Cafe Corner, Grand Carousel, Taj Mahal, 50th Anniversary Lego Town Plan, Series 1, UCS Millennium Falcon, Maersk Train, to name the big ones that were still around at least a year into my coming out of the dark ages) At least I still got ones like the Motorized AT-AT. I am not even going to count the ones I missed that went OOP while I was in my Dark Ages, I don't even like to think about those. I did manage to at least get 3 of the smaller sets from that period like the Tie Crawler (tank) (love that set)

R2 completed and in position. Now I just need to rebuild the UCS Imperial Shuttle and B-Wing. I used to have the shuttle behind the X-Wing and it towered over everything, but I dunno if I want to do that again. I might put it over the subwoofer and put the B-Wing behind the X-Wing. The B-Wing used to be on top of a shelf somewhere else in the room, but it felt lonely up there. Of course, I might just shelve the X-Wing and put the Helicarrier up on the equipment rack instead when it hits.

I still need a place for the Tumbler too.

I am probably cutting down on the overall number of sets I keep displayed. There are just too many I want to display, and not enough space.

And a question on display spaces for people: this stuff is right near a window, and I am worried about sun damage to sets, which makes me hesitant to put anything up. We might get curtains soon to help, but I dunno.

Kipp

Oh yeah, so I just remembered that I had the best idea for a Lego set the other day. A UCS Train. Preferably a UCS Santa Fe.
There hasn't ever been a set like that, has there? A train bigger than the ones that fit on the Lego train tracks?

Counting Crows: August & Everything After so good. I've had a few Lego building sessions listening to that album. Haha

Oh yeah, so I just remembered that I had the best idea for a Lego set the other day. A UCS Train. Preferably a UCS Santa Fe.
There hasn't ever been a set like that, has there? A train bigger than the ones that fit on the Lego train tracks?
Not that I know of. But I don't know how popular a train set would be that doesn't run on tracks.

Kipp

Not that I know of. But I don't know how popular a train set would be that doesn't run on tracks.

Yeah, on the one hand it'd be a great display piece, but on the other hand, it would probably frustrate a lot of people - especially the people who like the Lego train stuff and already have a lot of the train tracks - that it's not compatible with all their other Lego train stuff.
I can dream though.

I think it would have been really cool if instead of circling around and doing Winter Village Toy Shop again this year, they had done like a Winter/Santa train set. I've had a lot of customers tell me their trains only come out at Christmas to go around the tree, so how perfect would that have been? Have the classic black steam engine with some holiday trim, fill the coal car with candy instead of coal, make the cars look like presents, etc.

I think it would have been really cool if instead of circling around and doing Winter Village Toy Shop again this year, they had done like a Winter/Santa train set. I've had a lot of customers tell me their trains only come out at Christmas to go around the tree, so how perfect would that have been? Have the classic black steam engine with some holiday trim, fill the coal car with candy instead of coal, make the cars look like presents, etc.

10173-1.jpg

mrkgoo

Any opinions on Rogon's Rock Flinger? I picked it up at half price clearance and was wondering if it's worth me cracking open or if I should just store it as a gift.

Just got the Lord of Skull Spiders. Great build, its basically not a contstraction set and is pretty much entirely technic outside of a few pieces of armor slapped on at the end. I understand why many people dont like him, he has virtually no posabllity and the printed chest piece for a head is an odd choice. Also his back is a little odd with the exposed technic beams. But overall he looks really great in my opinion. I love the color scheme. For me all that really matters is an interesting build and it looking good at the end. And at least to me, this is an awesome addition to the Bionicle line and I'm glad I decided to get it.

My wallet has limits. :)

Diagon Alley and the Town Hall (a little bit) are the only sets I have some regret passing.
I'm waffling on Red Wing 5, but I think I will jump on that as it should good resell value if I change my mind. No regrets if I miss it though. I have the cheaper version. If I get the Red Wing 5, I will need the UCS Tie Fighter 100% to complement it.

Tower of Orthanc is the other set I'm waffling on. I think I will buy it with the "sell it if have buyer's regret" motto.

R2 completed and in position. Now I just need to rebuild the UCS Imperial Shuttle and B-Wing. I used to have the shuttle behind the X-Wing and it towered over everything, but I dunno if I want to do that again. I might put it over the subwoofer and put the B-Wing behind the X-Wing. The B-Wing used to be on top of a shelf somewhere else in the room, but it felt lonely up there. Of course, I might just shelve the X-Wing and put the Helicarrier up on the equipment rack instead when it hits.

I still need a place for the Tumbler too.

I am probably cutting down on the overall number of sets I keep displayed. There are just too many I want to display, and not enough space.

And a question on display spaces for people: this stuff is right near a window, and I am worried about sun damage to sets, which makes me hesitant to put anything up. We might get curtains soon to help, but I dunno.

Dang, those sets look so nice displayed. I may have to buy the Volkswagon Van before it's too late. "buy now, sell later if change mind" right? I can only do that for so many sets though before I go broke.

Any opinions on Rogon's Rock Flinger? I picked it up at half price clearance and was wondering if it's worth me cracking open or if I should just store it as a gift.

I bought it for the parts and minifigs. If you don't care about the minifigs, nothing special about the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom