• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That...um, woah. o_O

What is that in dollars? Am I reading it wrong? Did you type an extra zero in that??? I expected it to be MUCH less via bricklink, hell couldn't you have bought an actual set "used" for about the same?

Or has the set gone up that much lately?

Actually, just studying my excel sheet, I read it wrong. that was the potential price without substitutions, and there are some crazily expensive parts in that set.
I paid roughly half that (650€), spread out over many BL-orders. Some parts come cheaper via pab.

On my lunch break I went down to Target to pick up a few choice items, and swung by the LEGO isle. To my surprised they had just refilled the minifig display rack thing they have, and after about 10 minutes of feeling bags looking for the King I come away with this.

66kTDyo.jpg

Woo! Still no King though, if anyone has tips on how to feel him out, I would be much obliged!

Wasn't the Falcon reversed in the LEGO Force Awakens trailer?

I should reverse build the 7965 for fun. It's packed away disassembled in my closet.

On my lunch break I went down to Target to pick up a few choice items, and swung by the LEGO isle. To my surprised they had just refilled the minifig display rack thing they have, and after about 10 minutes of feeling bags looking for the King I come away with this.

66kTDyo.jpg

Woo! Still no King though, if anyone has tips on how to feel him out, I would be much obliged!

Feel for his beard (small and rubbery) his crown (It has lots of ridges and one large ridge on the front) and his sword.

66kTDyo.jpg

Congrats on the elusive wiener dude.

Did you tell your co-workers that you happily felt out a hot dog shaped toy during your lunch break?

As wordassassin mentioned, the sword and crown are key. The hair curves out of the corwn/hair piece.
Good luck, maybe you can tell your co-workers you went back to feel out the king's long sword.

Had to take a picture representing happiness with color for my photography class, to me yellow = happiness so naturally I took a picture of some Lego.

OvC2j22.jpg

LaNaranja

what a terrible polybag :/

Give us SOMETHING new, anything. How about some printing on spidey's legs or arms. is that so hard?

Seriously. Reading Spider-Verse and seeing all the options LEGO has to make cool costumes makes me bummed out they have yet to do anything more than his vanilla red and blue.

ruxtpin

Banned
Started rebuilding my childhood Skull's Eye Schooner. Missing a few smaller pieces, but what really sucks is I am missing the main sail with the skull on it. And it is sitting around $40 on brick link.

Had to take a picture representing happiness with color for my photography class, to me yellow = happiness so naturally I took a picture of some Lego.

OvC2j22.jpg

Nice.

I hope you don't mind me making some critiques. Please skip now if you don't want any.

Composition is really nice. Lighting or correct camera settings needs some work, I still struggle with those a lot. I've learned that a soft paint brush or something like that helps a lot when you are doing close-ups/macro shots like that. Do a light brushing on the LEGO minifigs and some of the darker elements. Dust really shows up in photos when nice and close. If don't have anything like that handing, blowing on it may help.

Nice.

I hope you don't mind me making some critiques. Please skip now if you don't want any.

Composition is really nice. Lighting or correct camera settings needs some work, I still struggle with those a lot. I've learned that a soft paint brush or something like that helps a lot when you are doing close-ups/macro shots like that. Do a light brushing on the LEGO minifigs and some of the darker elements. Dust really shows up in photos when nice and close. If don't have anything like that handing, blowing on it may help.

What's wrong with the lighting? Not sure what to fix to improve it so I'll need some specifics. My teacher taught us about metering and how you want to get it at the right levels. I got mine to around 0 but it was too bright so I lowered it to -2 by decreasing the shutter speed to make it as dark as I wanted. In Photoshop all I did was increase the clarity in raw, change the warmth to make it warmer, and white balanced it.

What's wrong with the lighting? Not sure what to fix to improve it so I'll need some specifics. My teacher taught us about metering and how you want to get it at the right levels. I got mine to around 0 but it was too bright so I lowered it to -2 by decreasing the shutter speed to make it as dark as I wanted. In Photoshop all I did was increase the clarity in raw, change the warmth to make it warmer, and white balanced it.

Actually, I take it back about the lighting. I think it's the reflection on the face. It kind of washes out the face a bit too much. Of course that adds to the effect of the glow. Just my opinion. Doesn't mean it's right. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Started rebuilding my childhood Skull's Eye Schooner. Missing a few smaller pieces, but what really sucks is I am missing the main sail with the skull on it. And it is sitting around $40 on brick link.

Buy it. It's only money. You only live once. You need it. Join us....

A couple of weeks ago we went out for dinner with friends. It was a late night, and after my wife went to bed I started thinking about building more LEGO stands for ships.

Public Service Announcement: Don't Bricklink while under the influence. Did I really need that ostrich?

Congrats on the elusive wiener dude.

Did you tell your co-workers that you happily felt out a hot dog shaped toy during your lunch break?

As wordassassin mentioned, the sword and crown are key. The hair curves out of the corwn/hair piece.
Good luck, maybe you can tell your co-workers you went back to feel out the king's long sword.

hah thanks. Ill try to go back tomorrow and feel for the longsword and crown. worst case scenario i get the samurai and bizarre looks from the Target employees :)

Vyer

A couple of weeks ago we went out for dinner with friends. It was a late night, and after my wife went to bed I started thinking about building more LEGO stands for ships.

Public Service Announcement: Don't Bricklink while under the influence. Did I really need that ostrich?

Yes.

Yes you did.

That reminds me, I have been toying with the notion of making a stand for SPACESHIP! and Milano instead of breaking the sets down. And possibly rebuilding the Quinjet to get ready for Quinjet 2 and Helicarrier.

Yes.

Yes you did.

You make some compelling arguments. The ostrich was indeed a needed addition.

That reminds me, I have been toying with the notion of making a stand for SPACESHIP! and Milano instead of breaking the sets down. And possibly rebuilding the Quinjet to get ready for Quinjet 2 and Helicarrier.

Do it, and post pictures! My Milano & Quinjet are stand-less and I need some inspiration.

I did revisit the stand I'd built for the Ghost over the weekend. The latest iteration features significantly fewer chicken legs.

Well damn, I had to print it out at a staples for my assignment but all the blacks are all purply so now it looks like theres a big ol' instagram filter smeared on it. I guess I'll tell her about it and show her the original, hopefully she'll be light on me.

ruxtpin

Banned
Buy it. It's only money. You only live once. You need it. Join us....

heh ... I don't get to build as much as I used to with my new job, but I'm already a legit LegoGAF member ;) It's all kind of a mish-mash since I'm running out of space and my backlog is out of control. (Sorry, crappy phone pics in bad lighting.)

8C3CC5A1-EF7F-4AAF-87F9-410F75D55DE4_zpst4lvzcvv.jpg

BFBBBE58-4DB0-4CBA-B949-00D53E5E660F_zpsrqtmm6v1.jpg

7BC3F87B-7734-45F6-BD0E-463613552F7A_zpsobkc29j8.jpg

FA5E4EDD-00A2-4802-86B7-EBF75960303C_zpsz9d0yhpk.jpg

3F773BC6-38E6-4D40-A6AE-FED7D3731094_zps3d2txmwt.jpg

And finally...

B2E777DD-9721-4340-ACDD-6A6FE33396B9_zps70f3ykzi.jpg

Built it up as much as I could, noted all the missing pieces and figures I need. BL orders will be placed soon. Will tear down what I have now to give everything a thorough washing and try to flatten/press the sails.

You make some compelling arguments. The ostrich was indeed a needed addition.

Do it, and post pictures! My Milano & Quinjet are stand-less and I need some inspiration.

I did revisit the stand I'd built for the Ghost over the weekend. The latest iteration features significantly fewer chicken legs.

Aww, damn! Building a figure stand into the stand for the ship? GENIUS! That makes me want to make stands that much more, and shamelessly steal that idea at the same time!

That's a good tip. If you were sober, you would have gotten TWO ostriches. How else can you have ostrich races?

That was one of my first animal additions I bought of Bricklink.

The correct question is, "Why don't I have an ostrich yet?"

Posting this here, because this may will change EVERYTHING when it comes to Spider-Man in LEGO form:

Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Great news. Mutants next, please.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062...the_amazing_world_of_spider-man#ixzz3RJg7D6qt

That's nuts.

Zerojul

Posting this here, because this may will change EVERYTHING when it comes to Spider-Man in LEGO form:

Spider-Man Joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe

That's great news, both Lego and otherwise.

Great news. Mutants next, please.

My thoughts exactly.

Gorgeous. Supported, it's a matter of principle. Even if it will indeed never happen :/

I don't even know how I'd cut that down to a wave-headlining $100+ set, let alone the kind of mid-size set that's even remotely feasible from an Ideas vote-winner.

There's nothing that inherently forbids them from approving sets within themes that already exist, right? They just have so far said no? Maybe they'd be more willing to do them as special entry in an officially-retired theme. Middle Earth sets cant' exactly compete with any future waves, as much as it breaks my heart. I'd trade every star wars set on the market save the Best Star and ewok village (and any future hypothetical massive cloud city) for the next five years or more to have just one more LotR/ Hobbit wave.

Ah well. Scooby doo dulls the pain. I hope they fly off the shelves so I get more.

Rootbeer

Banned
To buy avengers tower now or wait for double VIP... argh!

the iron man set arrives tomorrow though. so cool getting these so much earlier than i thought

if only amazon would list hulkbuster or the quinjet... those would be instabuys

Zerojul

Did anyone get Decool's Juggernaut and Rhino, and if so, how are they ? I think I'll cave in and get a Groot so might as well take a look at other stuff...

I don't even know how I'd cut that down to a wave-headlining $100+ set, let alone the kind of mid-size set that's even remotely feasible from an Ideas vote-winner.

There's nothing that inherently forbids them from approving sets within themes that already exist, right? They just have so far said no? Maybe they'd be more willing to do them as special entry in an officially-retired theme. Middle Earth sets cant' exactly compete with any future waves, as much as it breaks my heart. I'd trade every star wars set on the market save the Best Star and ewok village (and any future hypothetical massive cloud city) for the next five years or more to have just one more LotR/ Hobbit wave.

Ah well. Scooby doo dulls the pain. I hope they fly off the shelves so I get more.

What??!! I love LotR (Hobbits not so much) but I would not trade Star Wars set for The Hobbit or LoTR beside the Unexpected Gathering and Orthanc most of the Lotr and the Hobbit are boring and terrible. Star Wars even removing all the UCS have so many more interesting and nicer sets than what Lego done with Lotr universe. I would take ATAT or even the hohum Most Eisley over all the crappy looking Laketown sets they have done.

What??!! I love LotR (Hobbits not so much) but I would not trade Star Wars set for The Hobbit or LoTR beside the Unexpected Gathering and Orthanc most of the Lotr and the Hobbit are boring and terrible. Star Wars even removing all the UCS have so many more interesting and nicer sets than what Lego done with Lotr universe. I would take ATAT or even the hohum Most Eisley over all the crappy looking Laketown sets they have done.

Dissatisfaction with some of the middle-earth sets so far is one reason I'm sad we won't have the chance to see any better ones. I've loved sets like weathertop or helms' deep more than any star wars set I've owned. One good lotr set every year would just plain bring me more enjoyment per time and money invested than most star wars stuff has.

I don't find a majority of the ships appealing enough to buy at full price. It's not a knock on the designs, just a personal preference against most vehicles that I've had since getting back into Lego for some reason. Meanwhile, aesthetic and genre preferences just mean I like even the probably-objectively-mediocre LotR scenery or buildings more than their comparably-sized star wars equivalents.

Dissatisfaction with some of the middle-earth sets so far is one reason I'm sad we won't have the chance to see any better ones. I've loved sets like weathertop or helms' deep more than any star wars set I've owned. One good lotr set every year would just plain bring me more enjoyment per time and money invested than most star wars stuff has.

I don't find a majority of the ships appealing enough to buy at full price. It's not a knock on the designs, just a personal preference against most vehicles that I've had since getting back into Lego for some reason. Meanwhile, aesthetic and genre preferences just mean I like even the probably-objectively-mediocre LotR scenery or buildings more than their comparably-sized star wars equivalents.

I'm in this boat. Star Wars is nice and so I but man, LotR stuff I love but am sad at all the so so sets.

Ryuuroden

I wouldn't make that deal but I do feel that Lego really did not do lotr nearly as well as they could of and they did not do many sets that they could of. They could of done various rivendell buildings, the watcher in the water, Balrog, prancing pony modular, the horselords hall, scenes from gondor, brick built Oliphant, to name just a few. Would of been nice to have some ROTK army builders.

I want that Avengers Tower set but mainly for the Ultron minifig, I love it's face. I guess I just may wait until they officially release and just buy the minifig off BL. I don't love the rest of the set enough to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom