• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on a revamp of Lewa: Master of Jungle. This is my first Bionicle MOC in 8 years, built with limited pieces in my college dorm. (I had a small ziplock bag of various green Bionicle pieces that I brought with me, the Exo Suit, Lewa 2015, and the Protector of Jungle.)

Please give comments and criticisms on what I should include in my next version! I haven't added a weapon yet. I don't really have a good eye on proportions or color scheme so let me know if anything there is off or if the design somewhere is bad.

CJdJLsR.jpg

Toxi

Banned
Working on a revamp of Lewa: Master of Jungle. This is my first Bionicle MOC in 8 years, built with limited pieces in my college dorm. (I had a small ziplock bag of various green Bionicle pieces that I brought with me, the Exo Suit, Lewa 2015, and the Protector of Jungle.)

Please give comments and criticisms on what I should include in my next version! I haven't added a weapon yet. I don't really have a good eye on proportions or color scheme so let me know if anything there is off or if the design somewhere is bad.
Using the Minifig bodies as hands is genius!

I'd replace the yellow sections on the lower legs with some yellowish-orange (Or Keetorange as the fans call it) parts to match the rest of the body, since two shades of yellow is a bit distracting. The varying shades of green work pretty well, just not the two different yellows.

I really need to get back and finish that Supernatural Impala MOC I was working on. I got the front half pulled off well enough, but have just hit a major wall with the top and back end of it. I just can't find anything I am happy with and am thinking of scrapping it altogether.

Too much good stuff to comment on all of it. Let's just say, I'm going have to borrow all my money from my 2016 LEGO budget.

UCS Tie Fighter - I have to get the Red 5 X-Wing now! I have to have both of them or none.

Dangit...I was just starting to ease off Friends sets. They are sucking me back in.

Super Hero sets are great! I am very close to my Teen Titans. Just missing Raven.

Scooby Doo!!! I need them all!

2015 is turning out to be seriously bad for my wallet.

theaface

So LegoGAF, aren't we long long overdue another building competition, especially with so many new sets either out or on the way? Who's with me?

So LegoGAF, aren't we long long overdue another building competition, especially with so many new sets either out or on the way? Who's with me?

I still say we should do a thematic one instead of set based one.

But, if we do a set based one, I think it should be something like this:
10692_alt1.jpg

Ungh... Grand Hotel. I need it.

Also, elevator, pool area with lounge chairs, multiple floors and a piano? Did Lego go and steal my Fancy Suites? :D Either way I'm getting that thing to modularize it.

And then adding the rock band theme (which was also in that moc) and a pink-haired rocker. Who is awesome by the way, I need to figure out how that skirt works and apply it to some of my customs.

Weird how Friends and Elves are the most interesting themes at this point.

Does anyone have any experience selling on Bricklink? I have loads of buying experience but wanted to hear what anyone has to say about selling there.

Does anyone have any experience selling on Bricklink? I have loads of buying experience but wanted to hear what anyone has to say about selling there.

I just started late Dec 2014. So far I haven't had any bad experiences as a seller (24 transactions so far). I haven't tried eBay yet where you can may get higher sell prices. I tend to like Bricklink more because it's a very niche community and I feel transactions on there will tend to be less troublesome (because LEGO fans are awesome!). There was one person who had 0 buys that I was wary, but it was fine. There also was a guy sending to a shipping forwarding place (to outside U.S. - I only ship U.S.) that just created a Bricklink account that I was wary about. He ordered a bunch of items from other sellers in a short time too. I did some research on the place and person's e-mail and it they all seemed legit. It was one of my first sales...it went find without any issues.

Printing shipping labels via PayPal saves about $0.50 on shipping costs which I pass on to the buyers.

I'm slowly getting to the point where I should sell off some parts and figures I'll never need, but I'd like to keep it relatively simple. There's also a bit of a problem with my job, where I travel a lot. It would be hard to maintain a shop if people expect shipping every day.

I'm slowly getting to the point where I should sell off some parts and figures I'll never need, but I'd like to keep it relatively simple. There's also a bit of a problem with my job, where I travel a lot. It would be hard to maintain a shop if people expect shipping every day.

You can add comments letting the person know that shipping will take awhile.
- You can put it on your store front, but many may not read that.
- You can also add comments on each item you sell so you could put note on each item it may take 1-2 weeks.
- Finally, you can add a note to your invoice indicating how long it would take.

Most people won't fault you if you posted that information in all those places.

I don't have many items, and averaged about 2 orders a week. Granted, all but 1 of my orders were for minifigs, polybags, and full sets. I haven't added my parts to my store yet.

Ryuuroden

one of my lug friends ships overseas because he can raise the item price by 50 dollars or more and charge for shipping and people still buy complete sets from him cause it's still cheaper for them then buying it in their country.

Caladrius

Very nice. That said, I'd personally get rid of the tendril pieces because they stick out a little too much from how sleek the rest of the MOC is.

I'd say take out the yellow, but since this is a mix of the old and new versions I can understand keeping them.

Even Luke doesn't look quite that bad.

brickpicker_set_8310_1.jpg

Is that a unicorn

Man, all those pop star sets look awesome. They really are firing on all cylinders with the Friends stuff now.

Sigh. Too many sets. Not enough funds.

EDIT: Dat music note at the top of the recording studio set!

Man, all those pop star sets look awesome. They really are firing on all cylinders with the Friends stuff now.

Sigh. Too many sets. Not enough funds.

EDIT: Dat music note at the top of the recording studio set!

OK, I don't feel too bad liking a lot of those "pop star" Friends sets as a grown man with no daughters. 2015 is a very bad year for wallets.

OK, I don't feel too bad liking a lot of those "pop star" Friends sets as a grown man with no daughters. 2015 is a very bad year for wallets.

No need to feel bad. A good set is a good set. And most of the Friends sets would work just as well with simple color swaps if you want to make them less pastel colored. I did the pallet swap on Dolphin Cruiser when I first got it, and it was still awesome.

I do appreciate that this year they seem to be reining it in with the assortment of colors in the Friends stuff. Some of the sets from the other year looked like they were just throwing in as many pastel colors as they could, and it was ugly.

The one thing I am still not a fan of from Friends is the mini dolls. They are not anywhere near as customizable as regular mini figs, and are less posable. If they want to make more feminine mini figures, they should make a new mold, and have the sides of the body taper in to match the printing like they do with female mini figs.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Someone said earlier that the Lego City lead designer should be replaced with the Friends chief?

After seeing those pop star sets, a thousand time yes.

Oh, man. I just noticed the sweet lawn chairs and the dj table on the tour bus set.

EDIT: I do think many people still have an issue with a girl themed LEGO series. I bet if they released all the Friends sets as City branded and with regular mini figs, the haters would be quiet. At work I still hear people complain about Friends and many new sets in general.
"In my day, LEGO was nothing but a box of bricks and nothing else. It ain't like it used to be."
Which shows that they know nothing, since they have always sold the random box of bricks.

"And what is with this girl crap? I don't want this girly crap, I want my regular LEGO stuff!"
"Um, you do realize that the bricks are exactly the same except for the color right?"

EDIT: I do think many people still have an issue with a girl themed LEGO series. I bet if they released all the Friends sets as City branded and with regular mini figs, the haters would be quiet. At work I still hear people complain about Friends and many new sets in general.
No question about it.
It's my greatest beef with them, not the sets/build/pieces/colours but the branding and mini-doll figures.

SPACESHIP!

I might make a tiny tiny spaceship to put at the end of the logo, but I think it looks fine like this for now. I added a round flat tile to the center of the disc, but it just wound up looking like a nipple.

The underside of the ship on the stand. It is a bit wobbly if you touch it, but otherwise it supports the weight well. The front hooks actually hook up into the empty cavities at the front and back of the underside of the wings.

ghostmind

Get ready for some more CITY price gouging - the Deep Sea Exploration Vessel set is $119.99 for 717 pcs, or 16.7 cents per piece.

This one I can understand a bit more, as it has the large boat hull, plus some hull part for the sunken ship, but does that account for this price?

wetwired

So with TMNT going away and no hope of rocksteady and beebop minifigs, doesn't anyone remember where those custom pig and rhino heads comes from? I know the big was definitely custom but perhaps the rhino was an official piece...not sure. I remember someone post a pic of some customs using these parts and I wanna make some myself

Ryuuroden

Get ready for some more CITY price gouging - the Deep Sea Exploration Vessel set is $119.99 for 717 pcs, or 16.7 cents per piece.

This one I can understand a bit more, as it has the large boat hull, plus some hull part for the sunken ship, but does that account for this price?

It is also a unique Hull piece right?

I'm very curious what is the driving factor for the large price increases.

First the 33% increase in CMFs.
The PAB increase in LEGO stores is understandable and was much more moderate.
Next was the outrageous baseplate increase of 60% ($5 increased to $8).
Now we're seeing significant price increases in sets.

Is it partly to subsidize all the new moulds? Is it to increase profits? Are plastic prices rising while oil prices are decreasing? Is it to subsidize cost of new minifig two-color process they are doing on minifig arms and now minifig legs?

If costs are rising, why not do it gradually? I find it hard that costs rose so much and suddenly for LEGO.

ghostmind

I'm very curious what is the driving factor for the large price increases.

First the 33% increase in CMFs.
The PAB increase in LEGO stores is understandable and was much more moderate.
Next was the outrageous baseplate increase of 60% ($5 increased to $8).
Now we're seeing significant price increases in sets.

Is it partly to subsidize all the new moulds? Is it to increase profits? Are plastic prices rising while oil prices are decreasing? Is it to subsidize cost of new minifig two-color process they are doing on minifig arms and now minifig legs?

If costs are rising, why not do it gradually? I find it hard that costs rose so much and suddenly for LEGO.

I think its mainly the CITY theme that has seen these increases. I'm compiling the final set prices from NYTF, and the rest of themes are rather reasonable.

Now I'm curious how long this has been happening with CITY, so I am going to do a bit of digging. I'll post my findings in a bit.

So with TMNT going away and no hope of rocksteady and beebop minifigs, doesn't anyone remember where those custom pig and rhino heads comes from? I know the big was definitely custom but perhaps the rhino was an official piece...not sure. I remember someone post a pic of some customs using these parts and I wanna make some myself

The pig head is from Guy Himber who has done a few kickstarter projects for LEGO heads. He is well-known in the LEGO community.
He has the pig heads on sale at his website here.

The rhino head is from the Chima rhino. There was only one male and one female rhino.

Here's around were those customs were discussed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109402612&postcount=9873

wetwired

The pig head is from Guy Himber who has done a few kickstarter projects for LEGO heads. He is well-known in the LEGO community.
He has the pig heads on sale at his website here.

The rhino head is from the Chima rhino. There was only one male and one female rhino.

Here's around were those customs were discussed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109402612&postcount=9873

awesome, looks like it was me who posted it! :)

looks like they're sold out of the pink/flesh unfortunately, guess I'll have to get brown like that guy

Ponn

Banned
Awesome stand Phon. We can start calling you the Stand-Man.

I was hyped yesterday but today i'm depressed as reality sets in. There is no possible way I afford all these sets I want. I feel I need to gauge my real interests, what I would like to display or MOC and limit myself. Maybe make a list and make myself stick to it. For the rest just live vicariously through the rest of you.

ghostmind

Looking back through the past 10 year of the CITY theme, it seems like the pricing disparity started around 2010, but has really picked up steam since 2013.

They seem to lead with reasonable priced-sets on the lower end - the Great Vehicles line being the primary "bargain", but as the parts count goes up, so does the price, but at a larger increment.

I've copied the parts/pricing data for 2014 and 2015 below. Some of them, you can make somewhat of an argument as to why the higher pricing, for others the excuse seems much more flimsy.

Is it because LEGO sees this as their primary evergreen theme, and knows that parents will pay the prices they ask for it?

60065 ATV Patrol (59 pcs; $6.99)
60066 Swamp Police Starter Set (78 pcs; $9.99)
60067 Helicopter Pursuit (253 pcs; $39.99)
60068 Crooks' Hideout (473 pcs; $69.99)
60069 Swamp Police Station (707 pcs; $99.99)
60070 Water Plane Chase (263 pcs; $29.99)
60071 Hovercraft Arrest (331 pcs; $44.99)
60072 Demolition Starter Set (85 pcs; $9.99)
60073 Service Truck (233 pcs; $24.99)
60074 Bulldozer (384 pcs; $39.99)
60075 Excavator and Truck (311 pcs; $49.99)
60076 Demolition Site (776 pcs; $89.99)
60077 Space Starter Set (107 pcs; $9.99)
60078 Utility Shuttle (155 pcs; $24.99)
60079 Training Jet Transporter (448 pcs; $49.99)
60080 Spaceport (586 pcs; $119.99)
60081 Pickup Tow Truck (209 pcs; $19.99)
60082 Dune Buggy Trailer (222 pcs; $19.99)
60083 Snowplow Truck (196 pcs; $19.99)
60084 Racing Bike Transporter (178 pcs; $19.99)
60085 4x4 with Powerboat (301 pcs; $29.99)
60086 CITY Starter Set (242 pcs; $29.99)
60088 CITY Fire Starter Set (92 pcs; $9.99)
60090 Deep Sea Scuba Scooter (42 pcs; $6.99)
60091 Deep Sea Starter Set (90 pcs; $9.99)
60092 Deep Sea Submarine (274 pcs; $39.99)
60093 Deep Sea Helicopter (388 pcs; $49.99)
60095 Deep Sea Exploration Vessel (717 pcs; $119.99)
60097 CITY Square (1683 pcs; $189.99)
60099 2015 CITY Advent Calendar (278 pcs; $29.99)

60032 Arctic Snowmobile (44 pcs; $6.99)
60033 Arctic Ice Crawler (113 pcs; $14.99)
60034 Arctic Helicrane (262 pcs; $39.99)
60035 Arctic Outpost (374 pcs; $49.99)
60036 Arctic Base Camp (733 pcs; $89.99)
60041 Crook Pursuit (38 pcs; $6.99)
60042 High Speed Police Chase (110 pcs; $19.99)
60043 Prisoner Transporter (196 pcs; $24.99)
60044 Mobile Police Unit (375 pcs; $44.99)
60045 Police Patrol (408 pcs; $44.99)
60046 Helicopter Surveillance (528 pcs; $74.99)
60047 Police Station (854 pcs; $99.99)
60048 Police Dog Unit (249 pcs; $29.99)
60049 Helicopter Transporter (382 pcs; $44.99)
60050 Train Station (423 pcs; $64.99)
60051 High-Speed Passenger Train (610 pcs; $149.99)
60052 Cargo Train (888 pcs; $199.99)
60053 Race Car (100 pcs; $9.99)
60054 Light Repair Truck (95 pcs; $9.99)
60055 Monster Truck (78 pcs; $9.99)
60056 Tow Truck (227 pcs; $19.99)
60057 Camper Van (195 pcs; $19.99)
60058 SUV with Watercraft (219 pcs; $19.99)
60059 Logging Truck (228 pcs; $19.99)
60060 Auto Transporter (350 pcs; $29.99)
60061 Airport Fire Truck (326 pcs; $29.99)
60062 Arctic Icebreaker (717 pcs; $129.99)
60063 2014 CITY Advent Calendar (218 pcs; $29.99)
60064 Arctic Supply Plane (374 pcs; $49.99)

Ryuuroden

Update on the main Lego room. The central table is still a mess. It will eventually be a full modular city with streets and all that but right now its just a bunch of modulars sitting on it in no setup :p Cleared up some space on the shelves for future sets plus there are many sets I have in other places in the house.

Eventually I want to have multiple tiered raisers for multiple train sets on this shelf.

Some of the starships in the above two photos I would like to float some of them in the air above the others to save space and make it more dynamic. Either by hanging them or building stands.

Hoth Diorama

wetwired

Awesome stand Phon. We can start calling you the Stand-Man.

I was hyped yesterday but today i'm depressed as reality sets in. There is no possible way I afford all these sets I want. I feel I need to gauge my real interests, what I would like to display or MOC and limit myself. Maybe make a list and make myself stick to it. For the rest just live vicariously through the rest of you.

yeah I know that feeling, I figured I can get away with just buying the 2 scooby doo sets to get the whole gang but I'd really love to get all of them, some great colours and pieces in all of them for MOCs

R-User!

Ryuuroden said:
Update on the main Lego room. The central table is still a mess. It will eventually be a full modular city with streets and all that but right now its just a bunch of modulars sitting on it in no setup :p Cleared up some space on the shelves for future sets plus there are many sets I have in other places in the house.

Eventually I want to have multiple tiered raisers for multiple train sets on this shelf.

Some of the starships in the above two photos I would like to float some of them in the air above the others to save space and make it more dynamic. Either by hanging them or building stands.

Hoth Diorama

Are those shelves from IKEA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom