• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

Update on the main Lego room. The central table is still a mess. It will eventually be a full modular city with streets and all that but right now its just a bunch of modulars sitting on it in no setup :p Cleared up some space on the shelves for future sets plus there are many sets I have in other places in the house.

Love the dioramas. I'm trying to do that, but on a much smaller scale.

But I did just buy another VITTSJO, so I can finally build SPACESHIP!!!!

Ryuuroden

I gotta ask, do you actually do anything with them once you are done building them, or do they go on the shelf and never really get touched again?

Stuff on the shelf tends to stay as display but after a while the older looking sets get cycled out and put into the parts conglomerate. My main thing is building my own creations one of which is that massive helms deep mod, custom modulars, and my 8 foot tall orthanc. so I build official sets and do my own stuff. I have a massive list of things I still want to do with the displays. I want to make them much more active and dynamic. It's litterally a constant wip.

JANG reviews 41075 Elves Treetop Hideaway:

http://youtu.be/VTjhSQiWWa4

That looks even better than in pictures! I might get two and swap out some parts for an overall bigger scene with slightly more realistic colours. I can certainly use the spare parts. I was just thinking about needing some sand green slopes and here they are. The set is also relatively cheap, although it does spend a lot of the parts count on flowers, as per the norm.

It's funny how this theme has new faces with more personality while Disney Princess uses the standard boring Friends faces.

3N16MA

Banned
There will be a set with the Episode VII version of the X-Wing later this year, most assuredly.

It has a different design in comparison to the OT X-Wing unless MXRider does not care. I am interested to see if a TIE Fighter is released as the one in the trailer looked identical to the OT TIE Fighter. Missed out on 9492 and the prices seem to be increasing faster than 9493.

I had stopped visiting this thread daily, because I have a baby on the way and I am currently trying to get out of debt as fast as I can.

As much as I joke about going broke on LEGO, I can't argue against being financially responsible.

Congrats on the baby! We'll see you more shortly after the baby is born. You'll need to start buying some sets that the baby will enjoy when older. They'll be "investments" to avoid paying aftermarket prices and some you can sell and make a little money. :)

Same here. Congratulations !!!

Congrats too! Same goes for you. Buy sets now and don't regret later. :)

Is there anywhere to get the #9493 X-Wing?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/X-Wing-Starfighter-9493

Your best bet is to look for individual sellers, Ebay and the like, i think.
That's how my friend found one.

The way its price is climbing, I'd just go with the UCS red five version.

UCS version! It will also have a better resale value.

Or you can wait 5-6 years when they recycle it in a new set. They probably will make the new version of X-Wing when the new Star Wars movies come out. Maybe you can buy two probably and mod it to make the classic X-Wing.

Stuff on the shelf tends to stay as display but after a while the older looking sets get cycled out and put into the parts conglomerate. My main thing is building my own creations one of which is that massive helms deep mod, custom modulars, and my 8 foot tall orthanc. so I build official sets and do my own stuff. I have a massive list of things I still want to do with the displays. I want to make them much more active and dynamic. It's litterally a constant wip.

You don't pick up some once in awhile and swoosh them around? Sadness. :(

robochimp

It has a different design in comparison to the OT X-Wing unless MXRider does not care. I am interested to see if a TIE Fighter is released as the one in the trailer looked identical to the OT TIE Fighter. Missed out on 9492 and the prices seem to be increasing faster than 9493.

There are some descriptions of different colored TIE fighters in the new movie.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Update on the main Lego room. The central table is still a mess. It will eventually be a full modular city with streets and all that but right now its just a bunch of modulars sitting on it in no setup :p Cleared up some space on the shelves for future sets plus there are many sets I have in other places in the house.

Eventually I want to have multiple tiered raisers for multiple train sets on this shelf.

Some of the starships in the above two photos I would like to float some of them in the air above the others to save space and make it more dynamic. Either by hanging them or building stands.

Hoth Diorama

You sir are my hero. MY HERO! I have 12 tupaware containers (4 large and 8 medium) housing all of my un-allocated Lego on a wheeled metal rack, so far that's the extent of my "new" collection. (my brother has our rather large childhood Lego collection at his place) But then most of my new Lego is sitting in sets that are built and about the house.

My gf and I are in the process of remodeling a bit. Once we get some new wood floors down and move the exercise stuff out into the den then I am dedicating one of the back bedrooms as a library / Lego room. After that I plan on buying some rack units and placing a huge Bricklink order for parts that I want to have.

Most of my "loose" Lego right now is from Brickink orders I placed to build custom MOC;s I've made. I'm about to place a rather large order soon to make an improved version of my Argo (Yamato) from Star Blazers. Once that is done I've got like a dozen new builds I want to design.

Caladrius

Okay, here's a new version of my Lewa MOC. I took some of y'alls criticisms into account. I decided to remove the yellow and replace it with trans green to make the color scheme more consistent, added a few things to the torso, and completley changed the legs. I actually made the old legs for a different MOC that I scrapped, so I feel like they didn't work because they didn't have the same design philosophy as the body. These new legs seem to work much, much better IMO. What do y'all think? Anything else I should fix?

EDIT: Changed the stuff on his back to big ass swords

Very nice. The only thing I could criticize about it is that the arms are a bit too long for him now, though that can be fixed by making his legs a peg or two longer.

I wish they included the trans-lime on the actual Lewa. He's the only Toa set that doesn't have any translucent parts and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Kito

7176047819_75951440ee.jpg

Could anyone link me to those white lego bricks? Are they normal roof tiles?

Hulkbuster completed. Really, really great set. I like the clear rod for Scarlet Witch to levitate from over the Hulk "containment" area of the set.

Ultron Prime. I need the rest of the sets that contain the man himself. Gotta have an army of them and all the variations. I am so happy to get one of my favorite Avengers villains ever in LEGO form.

Our first LEGO Olsen! Some really nice printing on the torso of this figure, which the crap lighting here does not show.

Meh. Not a huge fan of big figs in general, and this one is pretty lackluster. The printing on the legs is pretty nice, but the printed toes are a shame, as is the pea soup green shade. The Hulk big fig from Hulk Lab Smash is still the best one because of the skin tone and the purple pants. Although, I do prefer the hair on this one, so that part is an improvement.
Best Hulk figure is still the mini fig version. They really need to release that one again. And where is my Bruce Banner figure?

Iron Man, nestled in the tin can before Hulk most likely peels him out of it.

I like the repulsers on the back of the Hulkbuster. I am disappointed by the lack of arc reactors in the knees like we see in the trailers. I do like how they put the repulsers on the bottom of the feet though. The stud launchers on the right hand are nice, and using the larger 1x1 round bricks gives it a bit something extra as well.
The repulsers on the palms are nice, and very simple.

Overall a really solid set. Nothing amazing at work in it, but a fun build and the Hulkbuster itself is very solid. Probably the most solid mech I have put together. It feels like it could take some punishment. About the only fragile thing on it is probably the fingers, but the legs and main body are quite sturdy. The way the whole things folds up to hold the figure inside is really nice as well.

Well worth picking up. The mini figures are great (especially for Ultron and Scarlet Witch), and the build is enjoyable. And it looks really cool when done.

So I know a few of you have gone to SDCC to get the Lego exclusives. What days do they usually sell those? I want to try to go this year but I figured I'd target a day they have exclusives.

Very nice. The only thing I could criticize about it is that the arms are a bit too long for him now, though that can be fixed by making his legs a peg or two longer.

I wish they included the trans-lime on the actual Lewa. He's the only Toa set that doesn't have any translucent parts and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Like this? I made the legs longer with another CCBS extender.

I also changed the way his elbow connects on his arm so that its flush with the rest of his arm instead of sticking out the way it used to. Instead of a Y joint being attached to another Y joint, its now just a technic piece hinging on a pin. (Granted, there's not as much friction this way, but it looks nicer.)

Caladrius

Overall a really solid set. Nothing amazing at work in it, but a fun build and the Hulkbuster itself is very solid. Probably the most solid mech I have put together. It feels like it could take some punishment. About the only fragile thing on it is probably the fingers, but the legs and main body are quite sturdy. The way the whole things folds up to hold the figure inside is really nice as well.

This is probably the only Superhero set I'm going to grab this year. It overall seems like the best of them to me. I do wish they gave Ultron custom head sculpts though. His facial features don't really translate to the standard minifigure head very well.

Like this? I made the legs longer with another CCBS extender.

I also changed the way his elbow connects on his arm so that its flush with the rest of his arm instead of sticking out the way it used to. Instead of a Y joint being attached to another Y joint, its now just a technic piece hinging on a pin. (Granted, there's not as much friction this way, but it looks nicer.)

You're very close. If you have the upper leg piece from the Tahu set (the one with a peghole on each side of the central ball joint) or a HF equivalent (preferably in grey, if they ever made one) I'd use that along with the extender. While it doesn't blend in as well as what you've got now, the upper leg is still a bit too short. Otherwise it's perfect.

Thanks!

MOC, although the cockpit and front of the main body is unaltered from the Prototype. No plans, just played with it until I liked the shape.

I didn't have enough connection pieces to make the wing angle stable though, so unless it's sitting on the mount, the bottom parts of the wings fold under the weight. I'll leave it until I collect more extra pieces and then revisit it.

This is probably the only Superhero set I'm going to grab this year. It overall seems like the best of them to me. I do wish they gave Ultron custom head sculpts though. His facial features don't really translate to the standard minifigure head very well.

You're very close. If you have the upper leg piece from the Tahu set (the one with a peghole on each side of the central ball joint) or a HF equivalent (preferably in grey, if they ever made one) I'd use that along with the extender. While it doesn't blend in as well as what you've got now, the upper leg is still a bit too short. Otherwise it's perfect.

Like this?:

mreddie

Hulkbuster completed. Really, really great set. I like the clear rod for Scarlet Witch to levitate from over the Hulk "containment" area of the set.

Ultron Prime. I need the rest of the sets that contain the man himself. Gotta have an army of them and all the variations. I am so happy to get one of my favorite Avengers villains ever in LEGO form.

Our first LEGO Olsen! Some really nice printing on the torso of this figure, which the crap lighting here does not show.

Meh. Not a huge fan of big figs in general, and this one is pretty lackluster. The printing on the legs is pretty nice, but the printed toes are a shame, as is the pea soup green shade. The Hulk big fig from Hulk Lab Smash is still the best one because of the skin tone and the purple pants. Although, I do prefer the hair on this one, so that part is an improvement.
Best Hulk figure is still the mini fig version. They really need to release that one again. And where is my Bruce Banner figure?

Iron Man, nestled in the tin can before Hulk most likely peels him out of it.

I like the repulsers on the back of the Hulkbuster. I am disappointed by the lack of arc reactors in the knees like we see in the trailers. I do like how they put the repulsers on the bottom of the feet though. The stud launchers on the right hand are nice, and using the larger 1x1 round bricks gives it a bit something extra as well.
The repulsers on the palms are nice, and very simple.

Well worth picking up. The mini figures are great (especially for Ultron and Scarlet Witch), and the build is enjoyable. And it looks really cool when done.

Dat Hulkbuster.

Ponn

Banned
Green Lantern and Batsub/Black Manta set delivered today. Unfortunately thrown right onto my ever increasing backlog pile. I wish it was easy to just open them and get the minifigs out without tearing the bags open.

I have a pick a brick bag going at S@H with various beams, pegs and plates to start making some stands. Is this probably the most efficient way or is there a good technic set out there that includes alot of beams and stuff to make stands?

Oh man, can't wait to buy the Hulkbuster set for my son. Having Hulk and Iron Man minifigs is going to blow his mind!

For me though, I'm excited to buy a couple of those Creator sets shown at the toy fair:

Those look like really nice builds, and the piece count means it'll be in the financial sweet spot for me. I love that the Creator sets come with instructions with multiple builds, it's a big draw for me as I'm keen to learn new techniques!

The UCS TIE Fighter looks good, but I think UCS sets are just too big and expensive for me. I'll pick up the Imperial Shuttle Tydirium though, love that ship!

I have a pick a brick bag going at S@H with various beams, pegs and plates to start making some stands. Is this probably the most efficient way or is there a good technic set out there that includes alot of beams and stuff to make stands?

I found a local Bricklink seller and spent about a hundred bucks on various beams, masts etc (and that ostrich). I don't dabble in modern technic sets but I do think Bricklink is the way to go.

I had good success using the masts to build a Milano stand this weekend and may try to redo my Tie Prototype using the same concept. I've discovered you can strengthen the base of the masts using jumper plates to hold them down.

Dat Hulkbuster.

The more I pose the HULKBUSTER, the more I love it. It is so awesome seeing a toy of an iconic armor from the comics.
The UCS TIE Fighter looks good, but I think UCS sets are just too big and expensive for me. I'll pick up the Imperial Shuttle Tydirium though, love that ship!
If you have the means, hunt down the UCS Imperial Shuttle. So magnificent and massive. I am curious to get the new regular one to see how it compares

UCS sets are just too big and too expensive for me too. I tend to focus on the regular sized Star Wars sets and the occasional modulars. I can't wait until the Imperial Shuttle is released.

The cool thing about the Imperial Shuttle is that the angles on it lend itself to LEGO very well. It can be pulled off well in almost any scale and still look good.

Ryuuroden

Green Lantern and Batsub/Black Manta set delivered today. Unfortunately thrown right onto my ever increasing backlog pile. I wish it was easy to just open them and get the minifigs out without tearing the bags open.

I usually find stuff on bricklink to be far cheaper even if I happen to have to get it from multiple sellers.

If you have the means, hunt down the UCS Imperial Shuttle. So magnificent and massive. I am curious to get the new regular one to see how it compares

Well, I just had a quick look on eBay and Bricklink, and it goes for at least AUD$500 now, so yeah, that's not going to happen! :)

I'll just have to be satisfied with the smaller Tydirium version. That UCS does look fantastic though.

Well, I just had a quick look on eBay and Bricklink, and it goes for at least AUD$500 now, so yeah, that's not going to happen! :)

I'll just have to be satisfied with the smaller Tydirium version. That UCS does look fantastic though.
$500? Ugh. Don't tempt me to sell it.

But the new one looks really, really good. I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Ponn

Banned
I usually find stuff on bricklink to be far cheaper even if I happen to have to get it from multiple sellers.

I found a local Bricklink seller and spent about a hundred bucks on various beams, masts etc (and that ostrich). I don't dabble in modern technic sets but I do think Bricklink is the way to go.

I had good success using the masts to build a Milano stand this weekend and may try to redo my Tie Prototype using the same concept. I've discovered you can strengthen the base of the masts using jumper plates to hold them down.

Thanks. Yea I couldn't see a technic set with all the pieces i'm looking for. I'm using S@H because its easier to look at the pieces and get a list. Once I get a list I will compare it to bricklink.

Has anyone bought from here? Kinda looks too good to be true, I found the link on Google shopping because it was an ad at the top of my search. $50~ shipped for xwing 9493. http://www.toy-a-rama.com/198_page_1138493.htm

Site is fishy as heck. Contact PH is shared to another site. http://www.scienceandindustrial.com/191_page_826483.htm

Search for the name doesn't come up with anything to raise confidence. If it's too good to be true, there is usually a good reason it isn't.

I would not touch that site. I feel like I need to scan my computer after visiting it. Web page looks like it is something from the 1990's.

ghostmind

Helicarrier is now available for VIPs at S@H. The text says that it will ship before March 1st, but they always put that for early VIP releases.

I'm going to be trying my luck at a LEGO store, but I won't be able to get there until several hours after it has opened. Will they sell out by then? We'll see.

ghostmind

I could never sell it. It was my first UCS set ever, and the second or third set I got after the dark ages. It holds too much sentimental value.

EDIT:

Comin' in for the hug.

I'm getting the feeling that this set may be on some "Best of 2015" lists at the end of this year. If anything, it should be a lock for the recommendations section in OT5.

ghostmind

Force Awakens set info:

75099 LEGO Star Wars 1
193 pieces. Age 6+
$19.99 (USD) $24.99 (CAD)
Available in September

75100 LEGO Star Wars 2
444 pieces. Age 6+
$39.99 (USD) $49.99 (CAD)
Available in September

75101 LEGO Star Wars 3
517 pieces. Age 7+