• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm thinking we will see another 5,000 piece set sometime during the upcoming Star Wars trilogy + side movies era. That will bring us spiral-bound again.

UCS Millenium Falcon, or perhaps a new Star Destroyer of some kind, i'm guessing.
I need to start saving.

Woorloog

Banned
As much as I want an UCS Falcon, we need a new UCS Star Destroyer first since it is so old.

Now, i'd imagine some would have a problem with this, because it is a prequel thing but...
UCS Venator-class Star Destroyer... with a hangar deck that can be opened, along with mini-fighters on the deck. Also with one side hangar open, covered by a transparent force field...

I am not a big fan of the Venator-class (unless it is all gray, it looks better that way) but with such features... oh, it would be so good.

Lego X-Files!!! oh wait.... that'd actually be kinda boring, i mean besides the figs what builds could you have? Mulder's office? meh

To be fair, it'll be just as boring as them making Doctor Who Lego. I would love a Mulder's office or a crash UFO. I reckon it would work as a once off, rather than a recurring theme.

So the person who built the Hellicarrier for our store display dropped it on her way into the store, and then the guy who true to help her... dropped it again.

On my lunch break I took a look at it and put it back together almost 100%. Missing some pieces but looks fine for display.

Huge mistake because now that I tinkered with it, I want it. :(

Did the B-Wing make it a year?
I'm pretty sure that one was a special case because it wasn't selling at all, right? I've heard tales of people finding it on massive discount.

ThisOne

This might be a bit of a longshot, but I'm looking to trade my extra Heroic Knight minifigure from Series 9 for a Paleontologist from Series 13. It is open but has never been put together so I will include the open package and insert. I feel it's a fair trade especially considering that the only way to get the Heroic Knight right now is for $8-$10 on eBay. If you're interested, PM me and we'll figure out the details. I have good feedback in the buy/sell/trade thread on the gaming side.

My
61LZCIZPtXL._SY355_.jpg

for your
41nvpJmBqqL._SY355_.jpg

I'm pretty sure that one was a special case because it wasn't selling at all, right? I've heard tales of people finding it on massive discount.
I got it at 50% from s@h and loved it. Not sure why it didn't sell and others do.

Other than s@h being out of stock constantly on the good sellers is there any way to know how a set is selling?

Thanks!

Mega Bloks definitely is benefiting from being bought out by Mattel.
I think the Minions will do fairly well. Their minion minifigs look good, but they are very hard to put together. They are not fun to assemble at all.
I have no idea how popular Monster High still is, but it probably will sell a bit.
Mega Bloks definitely is churning out the military themes which appears to fill the void LEGO has left.

Kre-o seems to be licking it's wounds after the failures to expand beyond Transformers with building blocks. Didn't see any other themes lined up besides Transformers. I hope if they end their GI Joe line, they sell the GI Joe kreons in packs. I don't care for their sets, but wouldn't mind having a the GI Joe main characters in kreon form.

I just watched the fbtb videos from the Toy Fair. Boy do those super jumper features look terrible in the big Batman set.

Imperial Shuttle and the Rebels ship with the mini Tie Fighters both look great.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Are there still problems with the Super Jumper clutch or have they fixed them?

I like the play idea, but if they're tearing leg assembley apart not sure i'll ever use them.

The problem is presumably with the mold. The sets have just been released, possibly too early. No, it's not being fixed yet. What should they do, release a patch?

kitzkozan

I got it at 50% from s@h and loved it. Not sure why it didn't sell and others do.

You barely saw the B-wing in the original trilogy, so people simply don't care for it. :p Even the A-wing is memorable as it crashed into the super star destroyer lol. Apparently, this is why: The craft's unusually thin shape was problematic for blue-screen photography; the model tended to blend into the starfield. As a consequence, some planned sequences with the B-wing were cut from the original release of Return of the Jedi, and the B-wing is not explicitly shown in action during the Battle of Endor in the film. In fact, after the ships fly away from the still-active Death Star II shield at the start of the battle, the B-wing is hardly seen at all. The rotating cockpit design of the B-wing was based on early concept art for the Millennium Falcon.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
The problem is presumably with the mold. The sets have just been released, possibly too early. No, it's not being fixed yet. What should they do, release a patch?
Better beta testing so they don't accidentally release elements that actually damage other pieces obv ;)

Thanks!

Mega Bloks definitely is benefiting from being bought out by Mattel.
I think the Minions will do fairly well. Their minion minifigs look good, but they are very hard to put together. They are not fun to assemble at all.
I have no idea how popular Monster High still is, but it probably will sell a bit.
Mega Bloks definitely is churning out the military themes which appears to fill the void LEGO has left.

Kre-o seems to be licking it's wounds after the failures to expand beyond Transformers with building blocks. Didn't see any other themes lined up besides Transformers. I hope if they end their GI Joe line, they sell the GI Joe kreons in packs. I don't care for their sets, but wouldn't mind having a the GI Joe main characters in kreon form.

I saw a piece on London Toy Fair that said the Call of Duty Mega Blocks had sold poorly, and they were trying to work out why.
The guys in my local Forbidden Planet said that both Transformers & Star Trek Kreo had sold poorly as well.

Just a lil something i threw together quickly to "celebrate" the impending return of Classic Pirates :)

dNm7wo4.jpg

Granted, Pirates 2015 is disappointing compared to the old sets but it's still Pirates damnit!!! (I will grab at LEAST the Brick Bounty)

I saw a piece on London Toy Fair that said the Call of Duty Mega Blocks had sold poorly, and they were trying to work out why.
The guys in my local Forbidden Planet said that both Transformers & Star Trek Kreo had sold poorly as well.

What, really? I could have told them that. I don't see a crossover between Call of Duty and brick toys (neither with Halo). CoD fans are (generally) either 13-year-olds who pretend to be grown-up or 23-year-old dudebros, none of which would be caught dead with "toys". There should be a slightly bigger audience for stuff like World of Warcraft since it has a nerdier audience more into collecting things.

As for Transformers, it's mostly that the core idea of the license doesn't translate very well to building stuff. In fact, when done at their best, Transformers is as excellent a toy idea as Lego, so trying to shove it into being something it's not is a bad idea. Same with Barbie.

Lego excels at stuff which can be built AND as a collectible system for nerdy figures which are relatively cheap and still very detailed.

Just a lil something i threw together quickly to "celebrate" the impending return of Classic Pirates :)

dNm7wo4.jpg

Granted, Pirates 2015 is disappointing compared to the old sets but it's still Pirates damnit!!! (I will grab at LEAST the Brick Bounty)

I went and looked at some old pirate sets on brickset out of curiosity, and it's making me realize how averse they've become to large molded baseplates. I have one from scorpion pyramid, which was one of my first modern sets in like 2011, but I can't think of anything else I've seen since then. I guess it's a cost-based thing.

I am rather pleased that all the non-ship pirates sets seem to be relatively modestly priced.

These pirates are gonna raid the hell out of laketown.

It's very popular. My girls love the dolls and would be all over this (and the Minions!) if they knew about it.

Glad Mega Bloks is stepping up their game. First they improve the licenses and the product quality and then....price war?

We can dream.

dNm7wo4.jpg

What setup does everyone use for photography? I'm guessing you just back it with a curved piece of paper.

I'm thinking of getting or building a lightbox since my fiance and I will be doing some miniature filming soon for a sci fi show we are slowly developing. We already bought 3 yards of rip stop nylan and built a odd softbox setup that mostly works.

Also, I forget Pirates is coming out. I'll probably pick up the smaller set just for the figures primarily.

What setup does everyone use for photography? I'm guessing you just back it with a curved piece of paper.

I'm thinking of getting or building a lightbox since my fiance and I will be doing some miniature filming soon for a sci fi show we are slowly developing. We already bought 3 yards of rip stop nylan and built a odd softbox setup that mostly works.

Also, I forget Pirates is coming out. I'll probably pick up the smaller set just for the figures primarily.

Exactly, i use curved large pieces of colored cardboard, some decent light(in this case just a window with daylight coming in) and a pretty decent digital camera.
Nothing fancy but gets the job done most of the time. I was gonna invest in some table spots for microphotography but eh i got no time to build stuff as it is so this will have to wait...

It's very popular. My girls love the dolls and would be all over this (and the Minions!) if they knew about it.

Glad Mega Bloks is stepping up their game. First they improve the licenses and the product quality and then....price war?

We can dream.

Sigh. One can only hope.

Kreo bricks seem to be a bit higher quality bricks than Mega Bloks (made by Oxford, a South Korean toy brick company), but their sets are very lackluster. I also hate the kreons look when used for humans, but they look fine for robots such as Transformers.

I'm curious if Mattel will pump some money into Mega Bloks to up the quality. I haven't built any Mega Bloks sets recently so I don't know if the bricks have improved. They were crap on the Smurf sets. You'd be lucky if 1/2 the bricks stuck together. I found the few bricks I assembled from small Warcraft sets were much better in clutch. Maybe it's the bricks that are OK and the many special moulds that suck? *shrug*

Hmmm...Mattel owns Masters of the Universe right? Sadly we won't see them in LEGO minifig form. They'll probably be more like mini-action figures which seems to be Mega Bloks bread and butter right now with Halo, COD, Assasin's Creed, etc.

Curved piece of paper is the standard and cheapest if you want a plain background. I use large poster boards when I need a bigger background.

I built my light box out of PVC pipes so I could collapse easily. I've seen people make it out of cardboard boxes.

I also use rip stop nylon, but I think different kinds can alter the coloring of the lighting a bit.

I bought some desklamps and daylight bulbs ( ~5000 K ). I think 5500 K is daylight, but I just bought what I could find at the store that was close to that.

Exactly, i use curved large pieces of colored cardboard, some decent light(in this case just a window with daylight coming in) and a pretty decent digital camera.
Nothing fancy but gets the job done most of the time. I was gonna invest in some table spots for microphotography but eh i got no time to build stuff as it is so this will have to wait...

My fiancé and I have been looking to build a table as we expect to do a lot of filming.

Curved piece of paper is the standard and cheapest if you want a plain background. I use large poster boards when I need a bigger background.

I built my light box out of PVC pipes so I could collapse easily. I've seen people make it out of cardboard boxes.

I also use rip stop nylon, but I think different kinds can alter the coloring of the lighting a bit.

I bought some desklamps and daylight bulbs ( ~5000 K ). I think 5500 K is daylight, but I just bought what I could find at the store that was close to that.

I can't believe I forgot about using PVC. I did my BFA studio art graduation piece primarily out of PVC for oversized dog houses.

Light bulbs are always hard to figure out, but the rip stop nylon I got seems to filter whatever lights I use enough to be ambient rather than direct.

Thx for the input. I'll report back as things develop.

I started box 3 of the Best Star this weekend. The emperor's throne and two control panel builds were simple but fantastic looking once built. It blew my mind!

On a side note, there was one part where I had to put eight dark grey cheese slopes in a row. Man was that annoying. Then I shuddered at the thought of the Tower Bridge in my backlog.

Looking at some of the toy fair pics it seems like Lego used a lot of prototype 3D printing for their display models using new pieces.

You can see it in the constraction sets primarily.

wetwired

I'd say a lot of it has to do with the Lego brand. They've had off brand Ghostbusters before but no one gave a shit, including myself as it's not Lego. There's a nostalgic charm that comes with Lego minifigs and the name that other brands can never match.

neonglow

We can dream.

It seems like the clone brands are increasing their prices to match LEGO. You used to get almost double the pieces for the same price, but now they all selling for like 10 cents a piece too. I remember Mega Bloks being much cheaper than they are now.

While the Spongebob and Minion figures are hard to put together, they feel like quality products. The quality is much higher than the other Mega Blok bricks in the set.

If we're talking about off-brand block figures, I gotta throw K'nex into the ring. Their sets are entirely different now than what they were when I was a kid but IMO their figures are top notch. The Mario figures, Plants VS Zombies, even Angry Birds. They look -really- good. Hell I think the K'nex AB and PVZ figures look better than the normal action figures of them. And I have the Mario figures all scattered through my Minecraft sets since they fit so well with the blocky "8-bit" look.

Really glad they do those blind bags so I don't have to actually buy the sets to get the majority of the figures. And at least as far as Mario goes it seems that with each series they introduce at least one new character and a good balance between good guys and baddies.

I'd say a lot of it has to do with the Lego brand. They've had off brand Ghostbusters before but no one gave a shit, including myself as it's not Lego. There's a nostalgic charm that comes with Lego minifigs and the name that other brands can never match.
I think this hits the nail on the head. The LEGO brand is very strong, and has very strong nostalgic value to almost everyone. They have been in the game so long and been so good at what they do, no matter how good the competition is they will never match up to the general public. Even if LEGO goes in the shitter and the clones surpass them in sets and quality, the clones will never be able to overcome the strong, nostalgic and personal connection almost everyone has with the LEGO brand.

World of Warcraft also seemed to have sold poorly for Mega Bloks.
Dungeons & Dragons bombed for Kre-O too.
Kreons are ugly as humans. The human face print isn't very good either. I wonder if they ever did a lot of focus group research on the design.

Agreed, but there is always a new wave of kids that don't have that nostalgia. This is where IP's such as Minions, Monster High, etc are very important.
LEGO brand is synonymous with quality...something I hope LEGO never forgets.

Even if the clone bricks became even better quality than Lego, I would still go with Lego...I admit I'm crazy

Naw, you're just brainwash like me. LEGO = best quality which is currently true today. Kids today won't have that if clone bricks improve enough.

It seems like the clone brands are increasing their prices to match LEGO. You used to get almost double the pieces for the same price, but now they all selling for like 10 cents a piece too. I remember Mega Bloks being much cheaper than they are now.

While the Spongebob and Minion figures are hard to put together, they feel like quality products. The quality is much higher than the other Mega Blok bricks in the set.

Hmm...I never noticed the price difference as usually buy smallest sets to get the figures and they usually are on sale or clearance. :)

Price increase may be because Mega Bloks seems to create millions of new moulds. OK, I exaggerate, but Mega Bloks has a lot of specialized parts and they make new minifig moulds for different IPs. Can't be too cheap.

I have yet to get Spongebob ones because they don't have their standard looks. It annoys me to no end.

Yes, the minions look good. It's a good thing there are million combinations they can do with only a few different body moulds. Cha-ching! Those $10ish sets should sell well too. I'm gonna pick some up on a good sale and definitely if they are on clearance for 50% or more.

If we're talking about off-brand block figures, I gotta throw K'nex into the ring. Their sets are entirely different now than what they were when I was a kid but IMO their figures are top notch. The Mario figures, Plants VS Zombies, even Angry Birds. They look -really- good. Hell I think the K'nex AB and PVZ figures look better than the normal action figures of them. And I have the Mario figures all scattered through my Minecraft sets since they fit so well with the blocky "8-bit" look.

Really glad they do those blind bags so I don't have to actually buy the sets to get the majority of the figures. And at least as far as Mario goes it seems that with each series they introduce at least one new character and a good balance between good guys and baddies.

I don't include K'nex because they were stupid and didn't make the minifigs LEGO compatible. I would have loved to exchange their heads, but they have "male" heads instead of the "female" LEGO heads.
Also, they need to do better distributions of their blind packs. There are literally 75% or more bombombs in the latest series after the box has been picked over.

8740454929_ab72e83e84_n.jpg

Before Princess Peach; by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

I have been getting their Super Mario Bros blind bag minfigs. The quality is sucky, but I can't resist the Super Mario Bro pseudo LEGO compatible minifigs.
Their Plants vs Zombie ones are decent and have nice play features on some of them.

I think this hits the nail on the head. The LEGO brand is very strong, and has very strong nostalgic value to almost everyone. They have been in the game so long and been so good at what they do, no matter how good the competition is they will never match up to the general public. Even if LEGO goes in the shitter and the clones surpass them in sets and quality, the clones will never be able to overcome the strong, nostalgic and personal connection almost everyone has with the LEGO brand.

We are LEGO sheeple. :)

I agree for the most part except for your worst case scenario. LEGO is not invincible.
Need I remind you of Galidor and Jack Stone?
Granted LEGO has learned its lesson, but they should not underestimate the competition.

wetwired

Agreed, but there is always a new wave of kids that don't have that nostalgia. This is where IP's such as Minions, Monster High, etc are very important.
LEGO brand is synonymous with quality...something I hope LEGO never forgets.

I'm noticing that now with myself, I was never a huge superhero fan outside of batman and superman as a kid but I fondly remember watching the flash TV series as a kid. So to me flash was always an A-list superhero as opposed to someone like arrow or aquaman. I think that groundwork 30 years ago is paying off now for many IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom