• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, you have got to love China.

COrlpuc.jpg

5If8XQh.jpg

ghostmind

So I was looking at the upcoming Pirates sets, and decided to watch a review of the "LEGO Juniors" version.

I had no idea... EVERY Juniors set has NO STICKERS. Everything that you see in these sets that you would think is a sticker is a printed piece. And look at all the exclusive minifig torso prints that this theme has, while CITY gets the same recycled prints year-after-year.

I'm thinking of picking up a bunch of these.

So I was looking at the upcoming Pirates sets, and decided to watch a review of the "LEGO Juniors" version.

I had no idea... EVERY Juniors set has NO STICKERS. Everything that you see in these sets that you would think is a sticker is a printed piece. And look at all the exclusive minifig torso prints that this theme has, while CITY gets the same recycled prints year-after-year.

I'm thinking of picking up a bunch of these.

Makes sense, stickers would be harder to apply and thus not be 'easy to build' as the tagline promises. So everythings gotta be printed.

The Star Wars theme could use some translucent minifigs for the Force ghosts.

F09pABC.jpg

Would've been a pretty sweet ewok village bonus. Wonder if they'd have catered to the OT super-fans by including the original old Anikin, or if they'd have been forced into using Hayden Christensen.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
Went out to do some errands and decided to stop at Target to see what deals they had (Target Canada is liquidating since they are leaving the Canadian market).

I came across this for 20% off. Didn't even think twice about it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. I just got the X-Men/Sentinel set for $15.00 at Walmart.
It was hanging out in this sort of clearance/overflow section but it wasn't marked and I knew it was old, so I took it to one of the price-checking things and it came up as $15. I was almost tempted to buy two. That's just nuts. There were a bunch of them, too. Probably almost 10.
There was also a sign saying "LG NJ MECH DRAGON $7.00" but the UPC didn't match, so that wasn't going to happen.

Also, when does Walmart do further clearance markdowns? They had quite a lot of Milanos and a few other big clearance sets (Ninjago and TMNT mostly), so I suspect there will be some left over when they go even cheaper. I was already tempted to get the Milano at $54, but it wasn't quite cheap enough for me to impulse buy.

Anyways, so stoked about the X-Men set for $15. What a steal. I didn't realize the MSRP was $50 (I mean, it's just a 336 piece set), or else I probably would've gotten two of them. Haha

robochimp

It was hanging out in this sort of clearance/overflow section but it wasn't marked and I knew it was old, so I took it to one of the price-checking things and it came up as $15. I was almost tempted to buy two. That's just nuts. There were a bunch of them, too. Probably almost 10.
There was also a sign saying "LG NJ MECH DRAGON $7.00" but the UPC didn't match, so that wasn't going to happen.

Also, when does Walmart do further clearance markdowns? They had quite a lot of Milanos and a few other big clearance sets (Ninjago and TMNT mostly), so I suspect there will be some left over when they go even cheaper. I was already tempted to get the Milano at $54, but it wasn't quite cheap enough for me to impulse buy.

Anyways, so stoked about the X-Men set for $15. What a steal. I didn't realize the MSRP was $50 (I mean, it's just a 336 piece set), or else I probably would've gotten two of them. Haha

Walmart clearances are usually on a store by store basis, so there is no knowing when other sets are going to drop in price.

At that price you should have bought all ten.

Kipp

Walmart clearances are usually on a store by store basis, so there is no knowing when other sets are going to drop in price.

At that price you should have bought all ten.

Good to know. In that case, I'll probably just check back in a week and see what's what.

And yeah, I'm still staggered at that discount. It's a very thrilling experience finding a Lego set for so cheap. Haha

At that price, I would've been in for at least 3, possibly 4 just for the Sentinels alone.

Shoot, guys. Don't tempt me to go back. I wonder if when I go back next they'll still be there but be even cheaper... Haha

Edit: Wolverine alone is $11 on Bricklink for the cheapest one? Maybe I should go back and pick up all those sets. They're going for $40 on eBay too...

Second edit: Love how Magneto and Wolverine both come with normal hair and their helmets. That's pretty great.

Third edit: Just built the Sentinel. Now I know what you mean when you say you would've bought it for $15 for the Sentinel alone. Didn't realize he'd be such an actual build. Really cool.

Ponn

Banned
Ah, you all that get clearance/mark down deals are lucky. My Wal-mart and other stores here don't mark down shit.

Kipp

Ah, you all that get clearance/mark down deals are lucky. My Wal-mart and other stores here don't mark down shit.

First time I've ever found anything good. Usually my stores are wiped clean. And this one wasn't even marked as clearance. I was just scanning a bunch of stuff just in case.

Also, this is an awesome build. So, so, so worth the $15. Haha
This is the first proper ship I've ever built. This is too good. Now I really want to get that Milano. I think I'll take my chances on finding it marked further down on clearance though.

And I think I am gonna go back to the store later today and buy up the rest...

When in doubt, buy more, think later. Not sure if can return clearance items, but at that price you can easily unload them or give as an awesome present to some kid (or AFOL).

Kipp

When in doubt, buy more, think later. Not sure if can return clearance items, but at that price you can easily unload them or give as an awesome present to some kid (or AFOL).

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pick them up to trade for other sets at a later date. Especially with the figs, it should be decently valuable.

Or maybe I'll just end up wanting to build a fleet of these ships. This is a pretty great build. Haha

Edit: Man, this is the sleekest looking ship. I am seriously so stoked about this set.

I think my heart rate is still up from finding that deal. Haha

Kipp

So, if someone does manage to get the sentinel set for that cheap, hit me up. I will trade a set for it.

Hehe. I actually just got back from Walmart and have this picture to post:

As it turns out, when I said 10, I was thinking about the Hulk Lab Smash sets that were lined up right next to it. I got all of the ones they had though! Thanks for convincing me, guys. Definitely very happy I went back.
Also, I'm a mix of relieved and disappointed that there were actually only 4 total. I would've bought all of them no matter how many there were, so them only having 4 stopped me from going totally crazy. :p

I ALSO hit up Toys R Us since I already was getting so lucky, and managed to get one of those Mech Dragons for $20! What a day.
Up until today, I hadn't found one decent Lego clearance deal. And then today happens. I'm just so pleased right now.

Oh, and also, Toys R Us had ALL the new sets. Including the Quinjet. Everything looked so expensive after the deals I got today though. :p

Kipp

Man, the ship in this Sentinel set is simply stunning. Pictures don't do it justice. It's just so sleek and gorgeous. Especially without the stickers on the windscreen. I really think it might be my favorite Lego set I own. And I never would've even thought about picking it up had I not found it so cheap.
Just so happy about this whole situation.

The Sentinel is pretty sweet too. I'd probably appreciate it more if I'd read any of the comics he's in, but regardless, he's a cool figure. I thought it'd be just a little boring side build, but he's a pretty detailed, built-up figure.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, I'll stop by TRU monday after work I guess o_O But anytime new sets come in they tend to sell out, especially SH stuff.

I'll probably end up having to wait for other stores. Drat!

I wish amazon would re-list all the sets they pulled off their site. Sometimes they put them up for 10 or 15% off right off the bat.
I also took some photos of my Batman minifigs. I need to grab some of the other variants now.

My favourite is still arctic Batman.

I need the Juniors Batman. Can't get over how ridiculously priced that set is though.

Kipp

Toys R Us had the Speed Champions sets too... I was so tempted, as those are the only sets I really plan to buy from this next wave. I had to stay strong for that double VIP though.

Hehe. I actually just got back from Walmart and have this picture to post:

As it turns out, when I said 10, I was thinking about the Hulk Lab Smash sets that were lined up right next to it. I got all of the ones they had though! Thanks for convincing me, guys. Definitely very happy I went back.
Also, I'm a mix of relieved and disappointed that there were actually only 4 total. I would've bought all of them no matter how many there were, so them only having 4 stopped me from going totally crazy. :p

I ALSO hit up Toys R Us since I already was getting so lucky, and managed to get one of those Mech Dragons for $20! What a day.
Up until today, I hadn't found one decent Lego clearance deal. And then today happens. I'm just so pleased right now.

Oh, and also, Toys R Us had ALL the new sets. Including the Quinjet. Everything looked so expensive after the deals I got today though. :p

I was happy to find the xmen set for $35 at target. I see your in North County San Diego. That's where I grew up.

Kipp

I was happy to find the xmen set for $35 at target. I see your in North County San Diego. That's where I grew up.

Oh cool! Small world!

Also, even at $35 that's a great deal. It's just such an awesome set. I love it way more than I could've imagined I would.

ghostmind

Since he's in the cheaper Hulkbuster set as well, which will probably be pretty popular, I wonder how much he will actually sell for in the after market.

That is true - probably not a lot then.

That set doesn't have much going for it, other than Quicksilver and Baron Von Strucker, but those two minifigs (especially Quicksilver unless they put him in a polybag) will probably fetch close to as much as the set itself in the aftermarket.

Rootbeer

Banned

yes this is the only set they never removed from their listings... i'm not sure why, must be an oversight.
Quicksilver's running pose is all wrong: his right arm should be swinging forward, and his left arm should be swinging back. It bugs me to no end how often LEGO gets that wrong.
/rant

such a small detail that would make a big difference, you are so right!
The crazy amount of printed parts (some quite large) has something to do with the price, I think.

That detail was not lost on me, nor the fact that most of these juniors sets use a rather large base piece to build off of that is a factor, sadly I never was able to find the batman one more than $5 off or I'd jump on it. Clearly the pricing is not a big problem for most people because it is a constant sellout on amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom