• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What series are those Olympic ones from?

In 2012 TLG released a series of collectible minifigs in the UK to coincide with the Olympics.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Collectable-Minifigures/subtheme-Team-GB

8909-0.jpg

Edit: Beaten by Flix.

These third-party LEGO baseplate packs are burning up the charts on amazon. The market is really responding to LEGO's price gouging on baseplates lately. I'm even tempted to get some.

Green
Blue

I notice by reading amazon reviews and their comments that the company behind these is very active in engaging with people who are buying their stuff, that could be a good sign.

Welcome! Mine is preparing for shipment now. Yess!

Thanks for the info.
Items like this as long as the color matches and the clutch is sufficient, I'm all for much cheaper alternatives for baseplates. I'm still 100% LEGO bricks and plates for MOCs. I'm fine with mixing minifig accessories from 3rd parties and clone brands. The base baseplate 60% price increase is outrageous. I think this will lead others to a path towards LEGO alternatives...at least in terms of baseplates. If LEGO isn't careful, and compteition gets better, maybe more in the future.

I will refer to this event as "baseplate gate".

EDIT: Just saw this article about Minecraft baseplates. Pricey, but very interesting.
http://thebrickblogger.com/2015/02/custom-lego-minecraft-baseplates-more/

EDIT 2: Pricing is still a bit more than LEGO. 4 of those smaller baseplates are equivalent to a 32 x 32 stud plate. So the 10 pack is equal to 2.5 32 x32 stud baseplates.

2.5 x $8 = $20 in LEGO pricing. If you want those smaller baseplates, LEGO doesn't sell those individually so in that sense it may be cheaper (I haven't checked Bricklink prices).

This leads me to the question if LEGO is just price adjusting the baseplates. It just doesn't make sense that they didn't do it gradually over time if cost of making baseplates were increasing.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Darn, was liking the look of the R2D2 set but the non-studless head kinda ruined it.

I love my Lego R2-D2, it's an awesome build too. I really want to design an R5-D4 to sit next to him, I'd need to bricklink most of it though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Multiple LEGO news sites have caught wind of the Hulk Buster availability, and it has now shot up to the #1 slot on the "movers and shakers" in the Toys category and the #3 slot in Toys overall. It could sell out soon.

You could secure one now, if you wanted. :p

EDIT 2: Pricing is still a bit more than LEGO. 4 of those smaller baseplates are equivalent to a 32 x 32 stud plate. So the 10 pack is equal to 2.5 32 x32 stud baseplates.

2.5 x $8 = $20 in LEGO pricing. If you want those smaller baseplates, LEGO doesn't sell those individually so in that sense it may be cheaper (I haven't checked Bricklink prices).
They have these 10" x 10" plates too, which are 32x32 studs for $25/4. LEGO would be $32.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3VWDJU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I might pick up some of those 5" ones. More versatile and probably less likely to crack if the quality is just ok.

My local Radio Shack is going out of business. Tomorrow is their last day and I have my eye on 3 really nice display cabinets. There are 2 four footers and 1 two footer in excellent condition. It's Radio Shack, so you know they barely got used!

I really want them now that I've been considering them. They want $1000 for all 3, I'm shooting for $4-500 for all of them.

They would be amazing for displaying Lego and my other hobbies.

I just got all 3 for $400. Hell yeah that is a great deal. I'm picking them up tomorrow when they close at 7:30pm. I've already got plans for them.

8D048727-587B-4867-B43E-2345880FC801.jpg

46F92C69-E42F-486A-88B7-75DCFF90A44B.jpg

robochimp

Green Lantern vs. Sinestro gets my vote to be the new Lex's Power armor.

Three great minifigs, an awesome jet, and the green vs yellow really gives the set a striking appearance. Bonus points for no sticker sheets.

Green Lantern vs. Sinestro gets my vote to be the new Lex's Power armor.

Three great minifigs, an awesome jet, and the green vs yellow really gives the set a striking appearance. Bonus points for no sticker sheets.

It's in my backlog but you have convinced me to build it tonight! I loved the Brainiac set. The vehicle is fantastic.

Bleh...

Lost my wallet while riding my bike to work today... I even walked backtracking to find it but no luck.

Pretty bumbed due to some cards needing to get replaced including my VIP card :(

Do I just go to a LEGO store and ask for my account to be moved to a new card or what?

Bleh...

Lost my wallet while riding my bike to work today... I even walked backtracking to find it but no luck.

Pretty bumbed due to some cards needing to get replaced including my VIP card :(

Do I just go to a LEGO store and ask for my account to be moved to a new card or what?

That sucks; sorry to hear it. I'm sure if you call their 800 number they can send you a replacement.

If I were in your shoes I'd be just as worried about someone redeeming my VIP points as using my credit cards!

They have these 10" x 10" plates too, which are 32x32 studs for $25/4. LEGO would be $32.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3VWDJU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I might pick up some of those 5" ones. More versatile and probably less likely to crack if the quality is just ok.

Those 10" x 10" are definitely a much better value, but yes, those smaller ones may be more useful, just pricier. Let us know how the quality is on those things.

I just got all 3 for $400. Hell yeah that is a great deal. I'm picking them up tomorrow when they close at 7:30pm. I've already got plans for them.

Sweet! When does your LEGO store open for business? Do we get LEGOGAF discounts?

Bleh...

Let me know if they can't move your account (can't see why not). I can tell you how to print out the barcode from your VIP number. There was a mixup with my online VIP account # and the # on my card so they always had to type in the number until I printed out the barcode. Hmm....thinking about it, why couldn't they have just moved it to a new account for me back then.

Let me know if they can't move your account (can't see why not). I can tell you how to print out the barcode from your VIP number. There was a mixup with my online VIP account # and the # on my card so they always had to type in the number until I printed out the barcode. Hmm....thinking about it, why couldn't they have just moved it to a new account for me back then.

Huge thx. I might swing by the store this week to get my Han Solo n try then. If I have no luck I'll hit you up.

I was worried my credit was lost but sounds like it'll be ok.

46F92C69-E42F-486A-88B7-75DCFF90A44B.jpg

Very cool. If I had the space and money, I would want stuff like that. And hey, you can build on top of it too!

I might see what is going on at the RadioShack here tomorrow and see if anything can be had for cheap.

Stands!

I'm trying to put all those Bricklink'd mast pieces to good use. I may steal Phon's idea & replace the Groot with the polybag "version".

What does the stand look like without the ship? It looks like you used a similar anchoring method to mine, and I am curious as to what yours looks like since you are only using the mast pieces.

As for Groot, just make the base of the stand a bit wider and give him something to stand on. Or you can make it where he is sitting down and holding all the other mini figures in his lap.

"We are Groot!"

Ponn

Banned
Hey look what finally came today!

"Ok so a Rhino, Juggernaut and Spider walk into a bar...."

"Whoa wait guys..OUCH..I was supposed to deliver the punchline..OOF"

My first quality control issue, Rhino didn't come with blue technic pins for arms. Luckily my extra Lego ones worked fine. His head doesn't move and there is a seam going down his sides that is a little annoying up close but gotta say I like him.

Juggernauts head does move around so one up on Lego there. Didn't have the seam like Rhino and his bands on his arms are actually molded in so thats nice. So yea I like them both, two thumbs up.

Bleh...

We can easily give you a new card in the store, but failing that you don't even need the card, we can look it up via your email address. The card is just for convenience to keep things moving faster for both parties.

We can easily give you a new card in the store, but failing that you don't even need the card, we can look it up via your email address. The card is just for convenience to keep things moving faster for both parties.

awesome thanks for the direct answer.

I'll try and go by the store this Wed since I will have time then from what I know. If not Friday it is then.

I just want to keep disassembling sets and add more parts storage. But nooooo. The damn cat won't let me. She must be on my lap. And if she isn't, then she goes around yelling which will wake up my wife. Now I can just sit here and attempt to move some parts, then she bats my hands til i put the bricks down. She doesn't want me to pet her, she just wants me to sit still and not play.

Jerk cat. :)

Rootbeer

Banned
On the topic of bootlegs, I got my bootleg bigfig groot and it's great. course, it would be better if the head turned and if it had arm printing, but for a fully custom bigfig I think they did a very nice job and i have no qualms about displaying it alongside my genuine LEGO stuff.

it is truly wonderful how far these chinese bootlegs are coming. I look forward to more improvements and creativity from them.

Bearthgar

Banned
Hey look what finally came today!

"Ok so a Rhino, Juggernaut and Spider walk into a bar...."

"Whoa wait guys..OUCH..I was supposed to deliver the punchline..OOF"

My first quality control issue, Rhino didn't come with blue technic pins for arms. Luckily my extra Lego ones worked fine. His head doesn't move and there is a seam going down his sides that is a little annoying up close but gotta say I like him.

Juggernauts head does move around so one up on Lego there. Didn't have the seam like Rhino and his bands on his arms are actually molded in so thats nice. So yea I like them both, two thumbs up.

I saw expecting the third pic to be Spidey torn in half. I was kinda happy he wasn't lol

Sweet, thanks!

Off to see if they'll price match the Ninjago city & the Arctic Outpost sets....

Battle for Ninjago City is a beautiful set. I highly recommend when it's on clearance or a good sale.

Star Destroyer and AT-AT at those prices are buy as many as you can. :) More AT-AT's than Star Destroyers though...I don't know what I'd do with more than 2 and that's pushing it.

kitzkozan

Battle for Ninjago City is a beautiful set. I highly recommend when it's on clearance or a good sale.

Star Destroyer and AT-AT at those prices are buy as many as you can. :) More AT-AT's than Star Destroyers though...I don't know what I'd do with more than 2 and that's pushing it.

I'll definitively go for an AT-AT at that price, since I plan on doing an Hoth diorama once I eventually buy the upcoming base. :] I already have a snowspeeder and Hoth Solo minifig.

Anything I can do in the states or is this a Canada-only thing? I've been eyeing the ISD for a while...

Rootbeer

Banned
Got a new Toys R Us flier in the mail. Comes with a $10 off any $50 purchase coupon and a $5 off LEGO purchase coupon. I'm not sure if they stack but I'm usually able to stack these sorts of things at my location.

They expire in late March so there is plenty of time to use them on the upcoming sets

Jimbro72

Got a new Toys R Us flier in the mail. Comes with a $10 off any $50 purchase coupon and a $5 off LEGO purchase coupon. I'm not sure if they stack but I'm usually able to stack these sorts of things at my location.

They expire in late March so there is plenty of time to use them on the upcoming sets

Are you in the US? Because I just got a TRU flier, too, but mine came with a 15% off $75 purchase (which interestingly enough states it excludes LEGO, among a whole bunch of other stuff), and then a $5 off $25 LEGO purchase. I miss the good old days when they'd periodically send a 20% of any regularly priced item coupon. It's like TRU really doesn't want any more of my money.

Fantomex

Guys I'm having a hard time making my mind. I have absolutely no room where to put my next purchase, but i could care less. I just got the Lego bug again. In deciding between The Tumbler and Detectives Office. any feedback or suggestions?

Rootbeer

Banned
Are you in the US? Because I just got a TRU flier, too, but mine came with a 15% off $75 purchase (which interestingly enough states it excludes LEGO, among a whole bunch of other stuff), and then a $5 off $25 LEGO purchase. I miss the good old days when they'd periodically send a 20% of any regularly priced item coupon. It's like TRU really doesn't want any more of my money.

Yes, USA. California Bay Area to be a little more exact.

Where abouts are you?

And I strongly agree, TRU's coupon offerings have taken a big it. It's because they are trying to push their credit card which has better deals attached to it. Well, that and probably the overall toy market which probably isn't exactly breaking records these days.

Hell 20% isn't even that impressive, TRU used to send out 30% off coupons several times a year. If we get even one coupon approaching that this entire year I'll be impressed.

It's not just TRU though... amazon, while you can still find good deals there, even sells some LEGO sets above MSRP now. They want you to pay $100/yr for Prime and then still overcharge you, thanks amazon.

Buyers, you really have to make sure you do your research.

Jimbro72

Yes, USA. California Bay Area to be a little more exact.

Where abouts are you?

And I strongly agree, TRU's coupon offerings have taken a big it. It's because they are trying to push their credit card which has better deals attached to it. Well, that and probably the overall toy market which probably isn't exactly breaking records these days.

Hell 20% isn't even that impressive, TRU used to send out 30% off coupons several times a year. If we get even one coupon approaching that this entire year I'll be impressed.

It's not just TRU though... amazon, while you can still find good deals there, even sells some LEGO sets above MSRP now. They want you to pay $100/yr for Prime and then still overcharge you, thanks amazon.

Buyers, you really have to make sure you do your research.

I'm in the twin cities, MN. Like 5 minutes from the Mall of America. Rather interesting that one of your TRU coupons was a little different than what was sent to me.

I agree, Amazon doesn't seem as great with the deals as they did a couple years ago when I expanded my collecting to more than just SW. It's now rare to find much discounted past 20% and when it does, sometimes it's very short lived at that price. At least with any of the themes I want. Probably why I've bought so few 2015 sets so far. Just not seeing any good deals or discounts on any of it yet.

Guys I'm having a hard time making my mind. I have absolutely no room where to put my next purchase, but i could care less. I just got the Lego bug again. In deciding between The Tumbler and Detectives Office. any feedback or suggestions?

I don't own either, but I will be getting the Detectives Office. It really depends on what you like and what you plan on doing with it when you are done building it.

Detective has a lot more reusable pieces for MOCs.

Tumbler seems like a better display piece.

Fantomex

I don't own either, but I will be getting the Detectives Office. It really depends on what you like and what you plan on doing with it when you are done building it.

Detective has a lot more reusable pieces for MOCs.

Tumbler seems like a better display piece.

I guess that's the thing. I just get what looks cool, put it somewhere and never touch it again.

I guess that's the thing. I just get what looks cool, put it somewhere and never touch it again.

Do you have any other modulars? The latest is in my backlog and the more you add, the better they look. It's a terrible trap.

I've never been much of a fan of the tumbler (in any form), but if you're into it the model is pretty attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom