• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a Han Solo promo on right now?

Those magnets are a steal. I bought a bunch a few weeks ago. We painted a wall of our kitchen with magnetic chalkboard paint and the SW magnets work perfectly (the other square style LEGO magnets are not powerful enough to stay up).

It's going on now if you have the calendar coupon.

I wish the Bionicle promo was now since I want that primarily, but the Han will either get used for parts or just kept in his bag.

I'll look over the magnets if they have any since we primarily need stronger ones right now.

Rootbeer

Banned
If you have Amazon Prime, it's virtually always a better option than from Lego. Free 2 day shipping, no tax (location based), and you gain Amazon points that you can spend on anything, lego included.

no tax? pffft... not in california for something like 3 years, and more states are dropping like flies. if you are in one of the few states that does not yet collect tax from amazon, enjoy it while it lasts :(

Jimbro72

MN had to start paying tax on Amazon purchases a few months ago. Needless to say, my purchases through Amazon has taken a bit of a drop as that loss of tax savings surely evened things up now as to where it's most cost effective for me to buy from, especially on same priced items, which now actually makes more sense for me to buy from LEGO S@H instead.

And the Amazon points thing is only valid if you use their credit card, which I don't, so even that won't apply to everyone.

Ponn

Banned
If you have Amazon Prime, it's virtually always a better option than from Lego. Free 2 day shipping, no tax (location based), and you gain Amazon points that you can spend on anything, lego included.

Not for me, no Amazon CC and they started taxing Fl a few years ago. Now what I might take advantage of now that they are selling them though is a good warehouse deals version if I can save more than $20 that double VIP would net me.

Got my salary for the month and went on Bricklink and made a bunch of orders. About 3000 new parts on their way now, mostly spread between three projects. Unfortunately I didn't get everything for any of them, but I can get started with a lot...

ghostmind

LEGO experiences 15% growth in 2014, far outpacing the toy market average.

Strong performance of product lines, such as LEGO® City, LEGO Creator as well as THE LEGO® MOVIE™ products contributed to sales growth in all regions of the world and led to a highly satisfactory annual result for the LEGO Group with sales increasing to 28.6 billion DKK.

“In 2014 we increased our sales by 15 percent. I am proud that we delivered high quality creative play experiences to millions of children all over the world. This resulted in a highly satisfactory result for us, and it remains our aspiration to be the best at what we do,” says Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, President and CEO of the LEGO Group.

Key 2014 results

• Revenue growth excluding foreign exchange impacts was 15% year over year on a local currency basis
  • Revenue increased by 13% in DKK to DKK 28.6 billion against DKK 25.3 billion the year before
  • The year's operating profit increased to DKK 9.7billion against DKK 8.3 billion in 2013 – an increase of 16%
  • Net profit was DKK 7.0 billion compared to DKK 6.1 billion in 2013 – an increase of 15%
  • Investments in property, plant and equipment amounted to DKK 3.1 billion in 2014 - an increase of 18% versus the previous year’s investment level
  • Zero product recalls - for the 5th year running
  • Injury rate 1.7 compared to 1.7 in 2013
  • More than 90% of waste from production sites recycled
  • The number of employees in the LEGO Group increased from 13,869 at the end of 2013 to 14,762 at the end of 2014

Double digit sales growth in all regions
In 2014 the LEGO Group continued recent years’ strong growth in sales, outperforming the global toy market development. All LEGO Group market regions experienced double digit sales growth while the traditional toy market in most countries grew by low single digit rates.

In the LEGO Group’s largest market, the US, sales grew double digit as did sales in the UK, France, Russia and China, while Central and Northern European markets achieved healthy single digit growth rates.

Among the top selling lines in 2014 were core themes like LEGO® City, LEGO® Star Wars™ and LEGO Friends. LEGO Creator and LEGO Technic experienced high growth rates during the year, and a significant contributor to the strong sales growth in 2014 was THE LEGO® MOVIETM product line which launched in conjunction with the release of THE LEGO MOVIE feature film in early 2014. The product line performed strongly across the full year.

“Our ability to innovate and reinvent the LEGO play experience every year is vital for our success. We are dedicated to create new products that are fun and appealing to children all over the world. Through our products we provide children with a tool to express their imagination. At the same time we continuously want to deliver play experiences that are safe and of the highest quality, and we have impeccable safety and quality standards. 2014 was our 5th consecutive year without a product recall which remains our ambition level for 2015,” says Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, adding:

“Looking at the products we have developed for 2015 I feel confident that we will bring joy to even more children in the coming year.”

In the coming years the global toy market is expected to continue to grow low single digit.

“Due to our continued focus on innovation and commitment to global expansion we expect to grow moderately ahead of the market in the future, while remaining committed to our continued aspiration to deliver the greatest play experiences possible to children all over the world,” says John Goodwin, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.

85 million children reached in 2014
The LEGO Group strategy of globalising operations further has enabled the company to reach more children in markets where the LEGO Group already have a strong presence as well as new parts of the world where LEGO play is relatively new to the consumers.

“We estimate that more than 85 million children across the world had a LEGO play experience during 2014. This has only been possible through an ongoing focus on building our capabilities globally during 2014 from manufacturing to sales, as well as developing great products that appeal to children across cultures and geographies,” says John Goodwin.

Building the organisation of the future
As a consequence of the LEGO Group’s ambition to globalise its activities, an increased focus has been placed on attracting a more diverse, global workforce. During 2014 two main offices have been opened in Shanghai and London to supplement the main offices in Singapore and Enfield, US, and the headquarters in Billund, Denmark. All of these five locations are to have significant top management presence.

In addition to setting up main offices, the LEGO Group significantly increased already extensive investments globally to re-enforce the company’s commitment to expand its market presence, and consumer experiences in the future.

In March, a new factory was inaugurated in Nyíregyháza, Hungary, to replace the existing plant in the same town.
In April the foundation stone of a manufacturing facility in Jiaxing, China, to solely supply the Asian market was revealed. Construction is ongoing and the plant is expected to commence operation in 2015 and be fully operational by 2017.
At the LEGO factory in Monterrey, Mexico, an expansion to the packing facilities was inaugurated in June.
In August the foundation stone of the LEGO House – a 12,000 m2 experience centre in Billund, Denmark – was laid by the owner family of the LEGO Group. When the LEGO House opens, fans of all ages will be able to experience the LEGO story and the endless possibilities of the LEGO brick.
In September, the construction of a new production hall at the LEGO factory in Kladno, the Czech Republic, was completed. The new hall is part of a significant expansion of the plant that is expected to be finalised in 2016.
During 2014 considerable investments have been made in an upgrade of equipment in the moulding factory in Billund, Denmark, which remains the largest moulding location globally when measured by output.
Finally, sales offices in Brazil, Turkey and Malaysia have been added to the long list of local presence for the LEGO Group.
As a result of the LEGO Group’s commitment to build an organisation to support the further globalisation of the LEGO play experience, the number of employees in the company grew by 893 to 14,762 employees by the end 2014 compared to 13,869 at the end 2013.

“Our dedicated and highly engaged employees around the world can proudly take credit for our strong performance in 2014. In addition, welcoming even more new employees adds to our current diversity, brings new inspiration and new ways of working to our company, so I am pleased that so many employees joined us in 2014, amongst them the two new members of the LEGO Group’s Management Board,” says Jørgen Vig Knudstorp.

You can get more information on the annual reporting here:
http://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2015/february/lego-group-2014-annual-results

Ponn

Banned
Does that explain the 15% growth in price per piece ratio in sets?

edit: I'm bored and playing pretend with a S@H cart of Helicarrier, Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant and all the new mixels. Like $900. Hi, my name is Ponn and I have an addiction problem.

ghostmind

Does that explain the 15% growth in price per piece ratio in sets?

edit: I'm bored and playing pretend with a S@H cart of Helicarrier, Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant and all the new mixels. Like $900. Hi, my name is Ponn and I have an addiction problem.

...and then your hand suddenly hits the "Complete Order" button...

LaSURXk.gif

Ponn

Banned
Definitely waiting for double VIP. This would be total pretend for me but Nintendo not releasing the smaller New 3DS here freed up some planned funds for me so now I may actually go crazy. I was going to do the Tumbler instead of jumping into modulars but I keep on going back and forth on that, i'm not a big fan of that version of the Batmobile. I also see they have the new Avengers sets listed on the site available march 1st. I really want a cityscape for my superheroes.

ruxtpin

Banned
Browsing the EB Star Wars sub-forum and there's a SW photo thread; majority of the most recent pics are Jar-Jar getting killed or humiliated. heh

wetwired

After nearly 3 months collecting minifigs I've finally completed my OT Star Wars Frame.

16465078430_3541a7e570_b.jpg

Star Wars Original Trilogy Display by Brent Waller, on Flickr

I'm mightly tempted to make a custom Bespin Lando, all I need is a cape which I'm pretty sure you can get reproductions from online and a torso, which would be pretty easy to replicate with waterslide decals

Rootbeer

Banned
very nice wetwired, personally I like the C-3PO that has the printed legs (unprinted legs really bug me once a version with printed legs gets released), in case you are looking to further improve on things!

it's too bad it's only in the sandcrawler for now. hoping they put it in some 2015 sets

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh man, I finished it. I did it in a shorter time vs. Camper Van, but I didn't expect it to be a bit longer.

img_05771024x7657aurv.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed building this guy. The numbered plastic bags helped a lot of course. I even think I had much more enjoyment with this than Van, but the Van has some leeway for being my first large lego set.

img_05821024x7653bux2.jpg

And I didn't expect it to be big actually! I thought it'd be around half of the camper's size. It's even wider too!

Anyway last pic of the gang.

img_05841024x765e0uw4.jpg

wetwired

very nice wetwired, personally I like the C-3PO that has the printed legs (unprinted legs really bug me once a version with printed legs gets released), in case you are looking to further improve on things!

it's too bad it's only in the sandcrawler for now. hoping they put it in some 2015 sets

Yeah I was eyeing that C3PO off but couldn't justify it when C3PO was one of the only star wars minifigs I had before I started. The Chrome gold one I was looking at too :)

I'm thinking I might upgrade or swap out some figs, if they do more Bespin figs or a Dagobah Luke

Boss Doggie

Those sets really look awesome. Can't wait for the F40.
Oh, and congrats on dat Bearguy III :)

I am not a huge fan of technic though, so I guess I'll skip that. any other model-like sets? I hope there are plane-based ones.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah I was eyeing that C3PO off but couldn't justify it when C3PO was one of the only star wars minifigs I had before I started. The Chrome gold one I was looking at too :)

I'm thinking I might upgrade or swap out some figs, if they do more Bespin figs or a Dagobah Luke

We seriously need a new Dagobah set. How about a Yoda's Hut with Yoda, R2D2 ("dirty" printing) and Dagobah Luke!. Maybe even Luke-Vader from the Cave?

Zerojul

I am not a huge fan of technic though, so I guess I'll skip that. any other model-like sets? I hope there are plane-based ones.
The F40 I'm talking about is the 10248, it's not supposed to be a technic set per se (the numbering of the set indicates an Advanced Model) but there are no pics of it yet. It's supposed to be coming in July. My hopes are that it's in line with the Camper and the Mini ;)
As far as planes go, the 10226 Sopwith Camel was awesome, but I it's OOP now, and it's not studless at all (If I understand correctly that's kinda what you're looking for in your displays).

Boss Doggie

The F40 I'm talking about is the 10248, it's not supposed to be a technic set per se (the numbering of the set indicates an Advanced Model) but there are no pics of it yet. It's supposed to be coming in July. My hopes are that it's in line with the Camper and the Mini ;)
As far as planes go, the 10226 Sopwith Camel was awesome, but I it's OOP now, and it's not studless at all (If I understand correctly that's kinda what you're looking for in your displays).

Ah interesting, I'll keep an eye for that.

And I have seen the sopwith (the green one, not the brown one) and am actually fine with it since the studs aren't too bothering (usually I only dislike studs on obviously curved / dome areas). In fact it's supposed to be the one I would be getting prior to Mini Cooper, but yeah it's pretty much non-stock now and sellers are putting hefty pricetags on it.

ghostmind

We seriously need a new Dagobah set. How about a Yoda's Hut with Yoda, R2D2 ("dirty" printing) and Dagobah Luke!. Maybe even Luke-Vader from the Cave?

Last time they had a Dagobah set, it included an X-wing. If they can resist that temptation again, and focus on the actual location, I would be all for this set.

Make it the training session where Luke is standing on his hands, and include just the tip of a cannon peeking up over the surface. And have a transparent bar to hover R2 around.

Rootbeer

Banned
Last time they had a Dagobah set, it included an X-wing. If they can resist that temptation again, and focus on the actual location, I would be all for this set.

I agree, NO X-Wing! There's no way they can make a satisfyingly big and detailed Hut and also include a satisfying X-Wing build (especially when we only just got one that was pretty decent on its own, not to mention the Red Five) without putting the set into quite expensive territory.

Most of us already have a nice X-Wing, but a Yoda hut is sorely missing in many collections.

Kito

All my Series Minifigs are in the following form.

I already have a Samurai/Snake Charmer as part of my collection so I can easily find them again in the supermarket to purchase as trade material - but not until Saturday.

If someone else doesn't trade with you by Sunday and you're ok with international shipping (to England), I'll PM you.

So I was just waltzing down to the toystore, planning to buy something like a baseplate, perhaps. Turns out they have a huge sale of pretty much everything older than last fall. Made it outside with the X-Wing (40%), Hulk Lab Smash (50%) and the turtle van (75% off). Skipped on buying things like Rancor Pit, Council of Elrond, Dol Guldur Battle, Ninjago City or the movie sets since I already have them or bought the figures separately.

Sucks that I ordered Hulk and one of the droids off Bricklink literally 18 hours ago, but what can you do?

I was also kind of tempted to get another Unexpected Gathering or maybe the Old Republic Sith ship or the prequel dropship... but these would strictly be investments and it's hard to tell which sets will actually increase in value. Not to mention that there's some catching up to even start appreciating since retail is so expensive to begin with.

I already have a Samurai/Snake Charmer as part of my collection so I can easily find them again in the supermarket to purchase as trade material - but not until Saturday.

If someone else doesn't trade with you by Sunday and you're ok with international shipping (to England), I'll PM you.

Yea that would be fine. I don't mind posting the UK.
I don't have to wait till Sunday either. ;)

Rootbeer

Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHQFIN8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

STILL no quinjet, why you so slow amazon

called my TRU and they are holding a quinjet for me but I have to call tomorrow at opening to re-hold it till end of day again cause I can't pick it up until after 4pm

wow there were at least 5 quinjets when i went there this morning... they sold through all of them already insane!

i also saw all of the racers, ninjago, elves

I actually bought the $15 elves set at Target today along with a clearanced Agents set (the Tremor one)

Most of the other agents sets were clearanced buuuuuuuuut the $99 set was NOT clearanced I was so upset >.<

*edit*
this one also just popped up with in the last 5 or so minutes... so they are in the process of actually adding them as I type this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHQIRB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As for coupons... check your USPS mail and if you are on TRU's mailing list you should have received a coupon book within the last 7 to 10 days. But based on some past conversation, it's possible the actual coupons could vary per region.

Jimbro72

As for coupons... check your USPS mail and if you are on TRU's mailing list you should have received a coupon book within the last 7 to 10 days. But based on some past conversation, it's possible the actual coupons could vary per region.

I checked mine again when I got home and apparently had remembered that one incorrectly. It was $10 off a $75 order, not 15%. Either way, that particular one still clearly stated on the back that one of the many exclusions were LEGO building sets, which kind of surprised me. I may still use the $5 off $25 purchase one if I can find a couple of cheaper sets I want that haven't been subjected to the typical TRU markup.

Rootbeer

Banned
Like I said, it's pretty weak so not worth putting off a purchase if you don't have the coupons. But I'm just that frugal, so I don't mind waiting since I have to go by that area again tomorrow regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom