• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Strongly agree :( New blaster style doesn't fit with Star Wars to me. I think it's fine for Agents but when it comes to SW I like to see the accessories try to represent their actual counterparts from the movies, shows, comics and videogames. And the ones they are using now are far and away nothing like what they should be.

For my money, anytime LEGO tries to add play features it is usually more of a detriment than an positive addition. Things like the jumpers, or these blasters, or anytime a build is forced to incorporate certain action features which by its nature is going to impact the build, how it looks or cause some other sacrifice in some way.

As opposed to action features, I'd rather see LEGO focus on creating sturdier more "swooshable" builds since I think the brand excels when it focuses on the model aspect and not on the play aspect

And now Pirates is in stock on Amazon UK. Damn you Lego, I've already spent like $500 on Lego the last 24 hours!

But it's my birthday (soon)... and I wants it!

Edit: And there we go. I don't want to know how much I spent now.

Nitemare1

Whats the release dates for the speed champion sets? I thought people were seeing them in stores but Lego has a section for them on the website with no sets in it!

Whats the release dates for the speed champion sets? I thought people were seeing them in stores but Lego has a section for them on the website with no sets in it!

They had tons of them at TRU when I was out earlier.

And just finished Quinjet 2.0. For me, it is just like Quinjet 1.0 all over again. I was a bit cold to it based on pics, but still got it. However, with Quinjet 1.0 I went in just for a parts pack and some figures and was blown away in the end. This time I went in for the figures and thinking it could not measure up to Quinjet 1.0 because it can't catch me off guard twice.

I was wrong. Quinjet 2.0 is better than 1.0.

The build is more varied. The way the entire body comes together is fantastic, as are the play features. The truck that comes with it is awesome because it is destructible. Just push a small lever on the back and it breaks apart like it exploded. Then the Quinjet itself has the underside that opens up to drop the motorcycle out. The wings are more stable than on 1.0, and there is more room inside of stuff. And of course, there is a fire extinguisher. I miss the thrusters from 1.0, and the shape felt more balanced on that one as well. However, the very wide wingspan on this make it cooler to swoosh. And there are guns everywhere on this thing. The angles on the front of the wings attach in a similar fashion to the Milano, but in a much more eloquent way since it doesn't use bendy tubes to do it.

To top it off, the figures in this are better than on 1.0, if only just for Vision.

I never should have doubted this set even for a second. This one had a very, very high bar to climb for me, and it surpassed them.

mojiimbo

In the U.S. through Lego direct the Speed Champions and Ultron sets have a hard March 1st date.

Ryuuroden

And just finished Quinjet 2.0. For me, it is just like Quinjet 1.0 all over again. I was a bit cold to it based on pics, but still got it. However, with Quinjet 1.0 I went in just for a parts pack and some figures and was blown away in the end. This time I went in for the figures and thinking it could not measure up to Quinjet 1.0 because it can't catch me off guard twice.

The build is more varied. The way the entire body comes together is fantastic, as are the play features. The truck that comes with it is awesome because it is destructible. Just push a small lever on the back and it breaks apart like it exploded. Then the Quinjet itself has the underside that opens up to drop the motorcycle out. The wings are more stable than on 1.0, and there is more room inside of stuff. And of course, there is a fire extinguisher. I miss the thrusters from 1.0, and the shape felt more balanced on that one as well. However, the very wide wingspan on this make it cooler to swoosh. And there are guns everywhere on this thing. The angles on the front of the wings attach in a similar fashion to the Milano, but in a much more eloquent way since it doesn't use bendy tubes to do it.

To top it off, the figures in this are better than on 1.0, if only just for Vision.

I never should have doubted this set even for a second. This one had a very, very high bar to climb for me, and it surpassed them.

Called that one, I don't think I have ever experienced a ver. 2 LEGO set that I felt was inferior to the first version. I am sure there are some but I haven't built them.

I just noticed that Lego now have an upscaled mug element for sale. Unfortunately it's not the colour I would get. I hope they end up releasing different colours in the future. I would totally be up for a white or clear one.

Anyone get the Spidey Helicopter set w giant Goblin? Worth the money?

It really depends on if you like the unique minifigs in that set. I only bought it because I got it on clearance. Those versions of Power Man and Green Goblin don't do it for me. I didn't even bother to build the set.

Didn't even mention Marcos Bessa once.

ghostmind

It really depends on if you like the unique minifigs in that set. I only bought it because I got it on clearance. Those versions of Power Man and Green Goblin don't do it for me. I didn't even bother to build the set.

Well now I have to... does it feel like a Bessa set?

It really depends on if you like the unique minifigs in that set. I only bought it because I got it on clearance. Those versions of Power Man and Green Goblin don't do it for me. I didn't even bother to build the set

Same here. I bought it at a decent discount and didn't build the set. Good figs, lame bigfig, cruddy ship.

I picked up the Imperial Troop Transport set yesterday for the Stormtroopers but I don't like the new blasters, so I've given them upgrades instead.

The transport itself is meh but that's not why anyone would be buying the set.
I did the same thing. I hate the new blasters but luckily I had extras lying around from past sets.

The transport sucks but my eventual plan is to MOC a bigger version based on the old Kenner toy.

I did the same thing. I hate the new blasters but luckily I had extras lying around from past sets.

The transport sucks but my eventual plan is to MOC a bigger version based on the old Kenner toy.

I'll just scrap the pieces and keep them in my spare parts box. I haven't got enough spare pieces to start MOCing anything yet.

Ninjago MechDragon dropped in price AGAIN... with my discount I could get it for like $22. It... almost seems irresponsible NOT to buy it at that price... Hnnggg

I wouldn't mind a large Mystery Inc. van set. Please tell me they have that?
Well, it's minifig scale, and it comes with Scooby, Fred, and Shaggy, as well as a tree monster and a zombie?

LaNaranja

Strongly agree :( New blaster style doesn't fit with Star Wars to me. I think it's fine for Agents but when it comes to SW I like to see the accessories try to represent their actual counterparts from the movies, shows, comics and videogames. And the ones they are using now are far and away nothing like what they should be.

For my money, anytime LEGO tries to add play features it is usually more of a detriment than an positive addition. Things like the jumpers, or these blasters, or anytime a build is forced to incorporate certain action features which by its nature is going to impact the build, how it looks or cause some other sacrifice in some way.

As opposed to action features, I'd rather see LEGO focus on creating sturdier more "swooshable" builds since I think the brand excels when it focuses on the model aspect and not on the play aspect

My little brother has really enjoyed the newer sets with all the added play features. He just got the Hydra Fortress Smash. It seemed too pricy to me at $50 for 400 pieces but he has been having fun with it. The tank shooting marble-like things is neat and the super jumpers are fun to use to try to knock down the the tower cannon and scepter holder on the back. I put little round 1x1 studs on where the feet go on the super jumpers because I had read that they damage the figures otherwise.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ninjago MechDragon dropped in price AGAIN... with my discount I could get it for like $22. It... almost seems irresponsible NOT to buy it at that price... Hnnggg

Yeah, I got it for $20 at TRU. It's certainly not the most impressive set, and for the $90 MSRP I would've been really disappointed, but for $20 it's an awesome set. Haha
As a side note, I ended up removing pretty much all of the various play features (spinning blades, missile launcher thing) on the dragon itself and it looks much better now.

I've been meaning to take a picture of all the clearance LEGO I managed to get for $35 the other day. AKA both the Mech Dragon and the X-Men vs. the Sentinel set. Still can't believe I got both of those for $35 total.

Called that one, I don't think I have ever experienced a ver. 2 LEGO set that I felt was inferior to the first version. I am sure there are some but I haven't built them.
This is an odd ver. 2 because technically it isn't the same ship. It is a whole new design, but keeps the same name. That is what made me a bit skeptical of it, yet also excited me.

Hey, I mentioned the fire extinguisher at least. :)

Well now I have to... does it feel like a Bessa set?
It felt like the brother of Quinjet and Milano, so yes. Everything in the build seems like a refinement of the techniques he used in those two sets. Things are a bit more complex yet streamlined.
I do think I prefer the appearance of the original Quinjet to this one, but as a build this one is better. Maybe if I put all the stickers on I would feel different, but I never did the stickers on the first one either.

And hey, image bomb coming up! Keep in mind that this is sans stickers.

The whole set together.

The truck. There should be a sticker on the side for "Cho Research."

Press the little step on the back of the truck though...

And it explodes! Looks like Ultron was after the contents of the truck, which seemed to be Vision based on the comic inside the set.

All closed up...

All opened up!

The back hatch area, complete with fire extinguisher, which is Bessa's trademark. Man is all about safety.

Okay, now the underside. There are two compartments under the wings.

One is a dual turret of the stud launchers. It is attached with the mini ball joints, so it can be aimed in almost any direction.

The other side has some studs facing down where you can stash a mini figure. There is also a rope attached for some reason...

On the top side, press the circular area down. (There should be an Avengers logo sticker here if you are so inclined.)

And then the mini figure underneath is launched out and can swing under the Quinjet.

Now, the top hatch of the ship has a compartment to drop a motorcycle into.

Press the black square in the top of the ship...

...and the bottom of the ship opens up, dropping Cap into the action.

A great assortment of figures comes with the set. Iron Man is the Mark 43, just like in the Hulkbuster set. I still want them to give a removable helmet to Cap, dang it!
The two stars of the set though are Ultimate Ultron and Vision. The cape on Vision is a softer, more flexible fabric than the capes usually are, and it is shiny too.

And I figured, if I have stands for all my currently built ships, why not let the Quinjet get one too.

The stand rests on the insides under the wings. The turret has to be out a bit for it to work, but it is stable.

Bonus, I can flip the Quinjet to be flying up and away too.

How do you accumulate all these technic bricks to make these amazing stands?

Random parts from random sets accumulated through time. Of the stands though, the only studless Technic stuff winds up being the cradles for the ships. The rest of the bricks are just old fashioned Technic. Regular bricks with holes in them. For the Quinjet one I just used the little blue technic stud pins to put tiles on all sides and add the color.

And usually the cradles are not made of many bricks. I think this one was the most elaborate though because of the angle. If I just kept it level, I would have been a lot more basic.

This is an odd ver. 2 because technically it isn't the same ship. It is a whole new design, but keeps the same name. That is what made me a bit skeptical of it, yet also excited me.

Hey, I mentioned the fire extinguisher at least. :)

It felt like the brother of Quinjet and Milano, so yes. Everything in the build seems like a refinement of the techniques he used in those two sets. Things are a bit more complex yet streamlined.
I do think I prefer the appearance of the original Quinjet to this one, but as a build this one is better. Maybe if I put all the stickers on I would feel different, but I never did the stickers on the first one either.

And hey, image bomb coming up! Keep in mind that this is sans stickers.

Excellent review. Definitely looks like a good value. I will try to wait to see if I can snag it for 30% off though, but may cave at 20% off. All these great sets coming in 2015, I have to save where I can so I can buy as much as I can.

Update on the Best Star build:

Currently on the 3rd box (after 3 weeks) and the thing is taking shape slowly but surely and i am about to realize the SCOPE on this set!! Beautiful!!! :) The biggest set i have ever built and the actual build has not disappointed in the least so far!! Can't wait to finish the rest

Aww, i was hoping it'd be slightly larger.

that's what she said!

i tried man, i DID but... i couldn't resist ;)

for real though, if you want bigger, try the Mystery Mansion set, looks dope as far as i am concerned... or hope for a UCS Mystery machine but i wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Great review Phon! Love the stand and the extra little touch you did with displaying Cap on his bike and putting it in an action pose.

I'll definitely be picking one of these up later. I don't think I've seen a comparison video yet, but if you have a minute, would you mind taking a picture of both Quinjet versions together?

The Elves sets arrived. I officially have a backlog.

Which sets did you get? The sets look really cool I think, especially the color scheme.

Great review Phon! Love the stand and the extra little touch you did with displaying Cap on his bike and putting it in an action pose.

I'll definitely be picking one of these up later. I don't think I've seen a comparison video yet, but if you have a minute, would you mind taking a picture of both Quinjet versions together?

I don't have the first Quinjet built right now, and probably won't dig out the pieces to reassemble it. I was tempted, but I spent so much time disassembling a lot of stuff lately I just didn't want to go dig through parts again.

sasari

I love that Quinjet mount! Any chance you could post instructions for it? Been toying with trying to make something like this for my Milano and both Quinjets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom