• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Anyone know a good precise digital scale to weigh LEGO bricks with. I am thinking of asking for one for Christmas to make it easier to mass count large numbers of the same brick at once like lots of 1x1 plates or something. Would make it faster to add to my database when I pick up stuff from PAB as well as when selling. If it is accurate enough I could just use a weight instead of counting. It's a pain in the butt to count up over 3000 2x2 tan tiles like I had to do a few weeks ago.

Ironmask

Anyone know a good precise digital scale to weigh LEGO bricks with. I am thinking of asking for one for Christmas to make it easier to mass count large numbers of the same brick at once like lots of 1x1 plates or something. Would make it faster to add to my database when I pick up stuff from PAB as well as when selling. If it is accurate enough I could just use a weight instead of counting. It's a pain in the butt to count up over 3000 2x2 tan tiles like I had to do a few weeks ago.

Look for shops that sells bongos, canapa made items and sophisticated leds lights for plants... i don't know why but they also sells higly precise digital scales

ruxtpin

Banned
Decided to pounce on the big pack of all the final Hobbit sets before D-VIP runs out. Probably build them then use them for parts packs. No time to build with the new job having me travel 80% of the time.

Ponn

Banned
Alright, traded in some stuff to Gamestop and preordered my Lego Batman 3 on PS4. I decided fuck it and gonna keep it and since I hate shooters will be trading in Destiny from the bundle and Lego Batman will be the first game I play on it.

Let's be honest, I want the Plastic Man fig. Game is secondary.

I think something like that would be pretty expensive. Could be worth it though to save a lot of time. I bought a not so precise scale for postage which was around $20-$30. I think you're looking at something they use in labs which are closer to $200. I would just check Amazon to get an idea.

Let me know if you find something that works. I plan on opening a Bricklink store soon as I've reached a point where I have too many LEGO bricks of some types. I don't plan on selling too much though so may not be worth it for me to get a high end scale.

Look into getting a digital food scale. They can be had for around $25 or so, and good ones can change between grams or ounces, and are very precise for such a small price.

EDIT: Also, make sure it has a tare function. I have a cheap digital one that has a tare function, and my wife and I use it all the time. It is accurate within .1 ounces.

WANT! Please come in a set soon or be free exclusive giveaway next year.

15670717872_5bd0917dcc.jpg
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham - Lobo by tormentalous, on Flickr

ghostmind

S@H USA has updated their "Retiring Soon" tags with some surprising entries:

31004 Fierce Flyer (a GAF favorite)
31008 Thunder Wings (one of our previous MOC Contest sets)
41050 Ariel's Amazing Treasures (less than 1 year available)
60058 SUV with Watercraft (less than 1 year available)
70125 Gorilla Legend Beast (less than 1 year available)
70127 Wolf Legend Beast (less than 1 year available)
75003 A-Wing Fighter
75018 JEK-14's Stealth Starfighter
75019 AT-TE
75022 Mandalorian Speeder
75039 V-wing Starfighter (less than 9 months available)
75041 Vulture Droid (less than 9 months available)
9493 X-Wing Starfighter (goodnight, sweet prince)

neonglow

75003 A-Wing Fighter
75019 AT-TE

It looks like all the Hero Factory stuff is also retiring soon. They must have been sales duds since a bunch just came out in the summer.

Zerojul

WANT! Please come in a set soon or be free exclusive giveaway next year.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham - Lobo by tormentalous, on Flickr

I need a Lobo minifig in my life.

75003 A-Wing Fighter
75019 AT-TE

Wow I'm a bit surprised by the short lifespan of some of those sets...
I got everything I wanted on this list except the X-Wing. I didn't get it right away because I already have the Red-Five UCS, but seeing it's gonna disappear soon is making me think again...
I'm still on the fence about 75018 and 75019 though...

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm fine with those retirements, but i'm not happy that V-Wing is already retiring when I haven't even seen it discounted anywhere yet. I have been holding off on that one hoping to snag it for under $20 -- hasn't yet happened.

It's funny, i've seen all the other 2014 SW sets on discount (even if only briefly) but not that one? What gives.

I'm reading these expedited retirements as further evidence of LEGO saturation. We've seen a lot of what is coming in 2015 and it is poised to be their biggest year ever in terms of releases. Something has to give, there just isn't enough shelf space even in the larger stores to keep a lot of this stuff around.

It's at the point now to where my local TRU is literally going to have to add an extra isle to hold all the in production sets they carry. They already have to flood some over into endcaps and islands in the main isles.

ghostmind

I'm fine with those retirements, but i'm not happy that V-Wing is already retiring when I haven't even seen it discounted anywhere yet. I have been holding off on that one hoping to snag it for under $20 -- hasn't yet happened.

It's funny, i've seen all the other 2014 SW sets on discount (even if only briefly) but not that one? What gives.

I'm reading these expedited retirements as further evidence of LEGO saturation. We've seen a lot of what is coming in 2015 and it is poised to be their biggest year ever in terms of releases. Something has to give, there just isn't enough shelf space even in the larger stores to keep a lot of this stuff around.

It's at the point now to where my local TRU is literally going to have to add an extra isle to hold all the in production sets they carry. They already have to flood some over into endcaps and islands in the main isles.

My TRU has recently added a LEGO Star Wars aisle into the Star Wars section of the store. The LEGO section itself has already grown over recent years to be larger than the entire "boys" toy section, and now with this additional space, as well as LEGO now occupying the "marquee" sections of the store, and an aisle for Friends in the "girls" section, LEGO is by far the most dominant product at TRU.

Is the LEGO train ever going to stop? Eventually I think, but it may be longer than I had originally expected, with the looming spectre of more LEGO movies in the near future, as well as at least 5 new Star Wars movies, and a flood of Super Hero films.

Rootbeer

Banned
My TRU also moved a ton of SW LEGO to the SW dedicated isle. There is still SW in the main LEGO section but if they tried to put ALL of the SW LEGO in the SW idle I don't think they'd be able to fit it all. So they either have to split it like they are now or carry less SW LEGO.

What i'm hoping for is a big LEGO sale or clearance before the year is up... but it's really rare for me to find LEGO on clearance at TRU. There are a FEW sets on clearance now for the very first time ever (like the Hobbit Barrel chase set)... however their idea of clearance is like 10% off judging by the price tags.

Don't even get me started on TRU's skylanders and disney infinity sections... I can't believe the insane levels of stock they get of those things. Meanwhile... Star Wars black series, can I ever find the choice figures at TRU? I might get lucky if I stop in during the morning on a truck day, otherwise hell no. They can't keep anything on the shelf for adult collector products. >.<

I miss the 2012-13 period before the boom really hit, I was finding sales more often. I'm not seeing a return to lowered popularity anytime soon thanks to LEGO's stronger than ever licensing strategies (especially Disney, WB and now Minecraft) and their upcoming slate of LEGO films. As long as we aren't facing LEGO shortages in my area though? It's definitely cool to see LEGO being such an important player in the entertainment world lately.

--

LEGO Minecraft commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLCk0n90E10

I would have killed to see these large sections of the store being dedicated to Lego as a kid. All I got was one measly shelf back in the 90's.

Rootbeer

Banned
I would have killed to see these large sections of the store being dedicated to Lego as a kid. All I got was one measly shelf back in the 90's.
My LEGO heyday was very late 80s and early 90s. I remember there being roughly one half of an isle (one long shelf) of LEGO in most stores at that time. Now most stores have double that, some like TRU have at least 4x that. LEGO retail stores, at least the ones i've been to, probably 15x that (on the low end) compared to a typical LEGO section back then.

Ironmask

Despite what everybody think, Lego never was a popular product but has become popular now thanks to the franchises he products, the product culture that we afols created and the media investment in cartoons and web and so deserves to be with iconic toys like barbie, hot wheels, transformers etc....

I welcome everybody that joins us in this awesome hobby, even if this means the presence of scalpers :/

Fowler

I got everything I wanted on this list except the X-Wing. I didn't get it right away because I already have the Red-Five UCS, but seeing it's gonna disappear soon is making me think again...
I'm still on the fence about 75018 and 75019 though...

It's the X-Wing; it's not the Millennium Falcon, but it's pretty essential as far as Star Wars icons go. I can't imagine they'll go too long before introducing a new one.

Despite what everybody think, Lego never was a popular product but has become popular now thanks to the franchises he products, the product culture that we afols created and the media investment in cartoons and web and so deserves to be with iconic toys like barbie, hot wheels, transformers etc....

I welcome everybody that joins us in this awesome hobby, even if this means the presence of scalpers :/

Wait, what? Lego was super popular in the eighties. It took a nosedive in the late 90's and only recovered after Star Wars+Potter+PotC, but it's a really, really strong brand that everyone knows, at least here in Sweden.

Happy Halloween LEGOGAF

I just finished the Haunted House in time ;) what an awesome build and an even better display piece!! Really glad i still got it after debating it for a long time... This truly rivals the best modulars... plus i love the pop open dollhouse effect and prefer it by a long shot to the modulars where you need to take off the roofs etc.

uXoBeu0.jpg

Happy Halloween LEGOGAF

I just finished the Haunted House in time ;) what an awesome build and an even better display piece!! Really glad i still got it after debating it for a long time... This truly rivals the best modulars... plus i love the pop open dollhouse effect and prefer it by a long shot to the modulars where you need to take off the roofs etc.

uXoBeu0.jpg

Ugh I want that but its suuuper expensive on amazon, I could buy an xbox one for that price ;_;

Zerojul

Happy Halloween LEGOGAF

Happy Halloween !

Congrats on getting the Haunted House, one of my favorites :) That's one of those sets I hope I never have to disassemble, and I agree on the dolhouse style, it's a really nice feature.

On a side note, my GF is putting the halloween bat together right this moment and she seems to be enjoying it so far. Cute little build.

The bat was really fun, just like all the other seasonal animals.

If I had to rate the seasonal animals they released this year, it would go like this:

Reindeer > Valentine Bear > Bat > Easter Bunny > Thanksgiving Turkey > Snowman

The Reindeer was really something special.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO minecraft minifigure scale sets to go on sale at S@H Nov 1st? Some people are reporting they will be online exclusive for a period of time (until 2015?)

I just called my LEGO store and they still haven't heard any details at all about availability.

LEGO is sending review sets out left and right and nobody even knows the street date? Come on...

And Happy Halloween all. Guess who has to work Halloween? THIS GUY. And I don't mean I get off at 4pm... I literally will be working through the evening hours.

neonglow

The LEGO Movie Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! will be $80 at Walmart tonight/tomorrow!

news.walmart.com/news-archive/2014/10/31/walmart-says-holiday-savings-start-now

Rootbeer

Banned
The LEGO Movie Benny&#8217;s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! will be $80 at Walmart tonight/tomorrow!

Oh man... well I hope i can hop on one before they sell out... nice price. I have it but a second would be an awesome parts pack.

ghostmind

So, nothing new in the December calendar (which is no surprise), except for the confirmation that we will be getting the new Disney Princess, Friends, LEGO Movie, and Star Wars sets in January. I had been wondering if the Star Wars sets specifically would be delayed until March in North America, as they have been the previous 2 years, but with Episode VII on the horizon I am expecting we see three waves of SW sets in 2015.

The LEGO Movie Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! will be $80 at Walmart tonight/tomorrow!

Dear LEGO GAF,

Buy this set of you haven't yet. Truly magnificent. Worth full price, and better when discounted.

Ryuuroden

LEGO minecraft minifigure scale sets to go on sale at S@H Nov 1st? Some people are reporting they will be online exclusive for a period of time (until 2015?)

I just called my LEGO store and they still haven't heard any details at all about availability.

LEGO is sending review sets out left and right and nobody even knows the street date? Come on...

And Happy Halloween all. Guess who has to work Halloween? THIS GUY. And I don't mean I get off at 4pm... I literally will be working through the evening hours.

Halloween is hardly a national holiday (as in, not a holiday)..... why would you not work.

mojiimbo

That calendar they're giving out instead of the PAB box this year is kind of cool. It comes with coupons to redeem for two old promo polybags(Lego Shop employee/Hoth Han Solo) and a free Build-a-Mini box in January/February/March. They have the stipulation "free with purchase" but I don't think there's a minimum purchase price.
Halloween is hardly a national holiday (as in, not a holiday)..... why would you not work.
Working Halloween night is kind of a bummer.

That calendar they're giving out instead of the PAB box this year is kind of cool. It comes with coupons to redeem for two old promo polybags(Lego Shop employee/Hoth Han Solo) and a free Build-a-Mini box in January/February/March. They have the stipulation "free with purchase" but I don't think there's a minimum purchase price.Working Halloween night is kind of a bummer.

Ooh cool. I don't have either of those polybags.

Since I couldn't build (or didn't want to unpack the twenty or so boxes of LEGO to find pieces), I was only able to keep Haunted House out, complete with the string of LEDs I added.

Next year I will make my diorama, dammit!

QC2XDPW.jpg

UzOrJG7.jpg

Since I couldn't build (or didn't want to unpack the twenty or so boxes of LEGO to find pieces), I was only able to keep Haunted House out, complete with the string of LEDs I added.

Next year I will make my diorama, dammit!

QC2XDPW.jpg

UzOrJG7.jpg

Nice.... what kind of LEDs did you use? I am looking to do something similar... and since i am not a big tech buff at all, were they easy to install/get going? (are they plug and play lol)

ghostmind

If you ever wanted to see how it is on the "other side", JANG has done a review of the huge Call of Duty Hovercraft, which is part of their Signature Series - the equivalent of the LEGO Ultimate Collector Series. At almost 2,800 pieces, the set has some features that LEGO should take note of, one of which being NO STICKERS. Everything is printed, which is how it should be on an "Ultimate" or "Signature" set.

http://youtu.be/c3kol3Q71Rc

UPIzlPo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom