• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

my local LUG had a meeting today and I finally went to it. Definitely going to start participating in events with them. There are some great benefits to it and I will get to know more people from the area. One of the interesting tidbits from it is a member announced today that he accepted a job offer from LEGO last week and will be moving to Denmark to work for the power functions/mindstorms division as a designer/engineer. So I can finally say I know someone who works for LEGO on the design side of things even if I only know him one day.

Question for LDraw or LDD users (or any other digital Lego CAD program), although applies to brick builders too;

I'm building a model of a 8 floor 255,000 square foot building in London and will be unlikely to build with real bricks but will try to use bricks I can get just in case.

Right now I am working on fitting the floor plan on a 3 by 4 layout of 32 by 32 baseplates.

I have about 30 hours in a rough model (15,000 pieces) but have since found out how to use custom rotation point in MLCad so my angles can be more precise on curves which meant starting again. When building with bricks I go through several iterations but I found it difficult to move from my first viersion to starting again on a new one in MLCad. I had to do it but wondered if people have any tips or stories in this area?

My main hope if that I can transfer some of my window designs from the old version as sub models of the new so I can treat them as pieces and save some time.

Anyone else use MLCad to design before moving to bricks or after making the model so you can have a record of it?

ghostmind

Here's my latest project, my very first custom modular: Fancy Suites.

dIbVLMX.jpg

Wow - the design is VERY unique, but what really makes this one for me are the little stories (many of them involving mature subjects that LEGO wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole) embedded into the design, from the "transient" out front to the couple in bed on the top floor.

Other things I love about this MOC:

Glass, glass everywhere! Really helps cement an '80s feel.
The recording studio booth.
The "head in a box" television - brilliant!
Hot tub with a water fountain built into the deck - so decadent!
All the little details and printed tiles, as well as the period-appropriate telephones.

Again, well done!

ghostmind

Here's the November/December calendar promo:

rIXCMcX.jpg

There are only the three coupons previously mentioned for January, February and March. However some of the monthly images are pretty cool (January is one of the weaker ones IMO).

Ponn

Banned

[
There are only the three coupons previously mentioned for January, February and March. However some of the monthly images are pretty cool (January is one of the weaker ones IMO).

I'm assuming those coupons are only good in Lego Stores and not Lego S@H right?

Ryuuroden

dIbVLMX.jpg

J3H4lKZ.jpg

E8fp5bJ.jpg

cFbLz5a.jpg

eBaRhRJ.jpg

I drew Fancy Suites on a post-it one night at the airport. The central idea was the big glass front, with an elevator to the different floors. At first the elevator would also have glass walls, but it turned out that the 2x5 transparent panels were extremely expensive. I got the idea for the angled wall from Green Grocer, although I lenghtened it a bit. The bottom floor and the elevator/hall area is one piece while the different floors can be removed individually like any modular house.

The house is mainly built from parts of Town Hall and Family House, with a bunch of specially ordered interior details and decorated tiles to add flavour, as well as a restock of generic pieces used during the build. I was inspired by several of the latest CMF's so I made sure to track them down as early as possible, especially the rocker who was needed for Rick Lightning. The eighties theme came about for several reasons. Partly because I had planned an eighties apartment to include on the second floor of Palace Cinema (when that was supposed to become Trendy Arcade), and partly because I needed something to use all these bright Friends colours on. It also allowed me to continue my story from the arcade.

I had had plans for a fully custom modular for some time, but what got me going was a competition at Swebrick. Fancy Suites was mostly completed in a 12 hour marathon in late September, except for interior details and the last parts of the roof.

More internal pictures and story here

Very nice, I like it!

picked up the last CMF from the current run I wanted: the prospector.

I was going to take a break from Legos for a bit, but I think I am not leaving it mostly due to wanting to pick up the Smaug and Cantina sets… gotta get those reptiles!

picked up the last CMF from the current run I wanted: the prospector.

I was going to take a break from Legos for a bit, but I think I am not leaving it mostly due to wanting to pick up the Smaug and Cantina sets… gotta get those reptiles!

Don't take a break, just cut back on the stuff you get. That is what I am doing. Just cutting back to the absolute must have sets instead of entire lines and random ones just for pieces.

It is still expensive as all get out, but it hurts a bit less.

dIbVLMX.jpg

J3H4lKZ.jpg

E8fp5bJ.jpg

cFbLz5a.jpg

eBaRhRJ.jpg

More internal pictures and story here

First off, I love this. Just fantastic work, and lots of nice touches and build techniques. I am particularly fond of the mini fig legs as window dressing.

The recording studio is fantastic, as is the use of tiles such as the sales chart and pizza everywhere.

For the second floor, what pieces did you use to make the baby crib? I am assuming that is a crib in the corner.

For the third floor: dat piano! Brilliant use of 1x2 plates with the protruding lip to slightly cover the grill plates for the keys.

For the outside, the hobo is awesome, as is his story. And the exterior looks much cleaner and improved over the early versions you shared before.

For your first custom modular, this is a home run. Just fantastic work all around, and I greatly anticipate what you cook up next. The second modular will be even better as you get more skilled at MOCing them up.

Keep it up!

Don't take a break, just cut back on the stuff you get. That is what I am doing. Just cutting back to the absolute must have sets instead of entire lines and random ones just for pieces.

It is still expensive as all get out, but it hurts a bit less.

Yeah. I have a feeling I'm going to pick up those two sets, then a few more (need more Hobbit orcs, etc) and then wait till Bionicle launches. I haven't ever posted pics of my Bionicle collection which is pretty massive… someday I will.

In fact, I've been eying picking up some older Hero Factory sets just for parts to use. I know LEGO GAF is not a place where ultra builds are popular, but Bionicle is my first favorite Lego theme. Original Wild West probably stands as second though.

They must have over abundance supply of that Hoth Han. I have seen my local store gave those out when they ran out of the Raven supply really early.

Fowler

rIXCMcX.jpg

Hoth Han Solo is back in February!

First off, I love this. Just fantastic work, and lots of nice touches and build techniques. I am particularly fond of the mini fig legs as window dressing.

The recording studio is fantastic, as is the use of tiles such as the sales chart and pizza everywhere.

For the second floor, what pieces did you use to make the baby crib? I am assuming that is a crib in the corner.

For the third floor: dat piano! Brilliant use of 1x2 plates with the protruding lip to slightly cover the grill plates for the keys.

For the outside, the hobo is awesome, as is his story. And the exterior looks much cleaner and improved over the early versions you shared before.

For your first custom modular, this is a home run. Just fantastic work all around, and I greatly anticipate what you cook up next. The second modular will be even better as you get more skilled at MOCing them up.

Keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words (that goes for all of you).

I couldn't resist including some social commentary where all of these people are kind of horrible, and the hobo idea is a continuation of some pics I took of Grand Emporium when I transitioned it into an arcade. The character refers to how I had Mr Gold(sworth) but sold him.

The crib is made from some old obscure 1x6x2 fence pieces I got in a parts exchange.

In fact, my next modular is nearly done, but it's much smaller in scope. However, I've bought new shelves which need building, and once it's all set up I'll start placing my modulars into more of a display.

Rootbeer

Banned
I missed most of the Hoth sets so I don't have a Hoth Han. Will be happy to pick one up... though without a tauntaun it's kinda not the same. :)

Cute set. I signed up to be notified.

Same, I didn't get this previously so I'll be trying to track it down this year. Sadly despite having signed up for notifications on tru.com many times, i've yet to receive a single e-mail about something coming back in stock. Maybe this time will be different.

Finally! My Lonely Mountain arrived! I'm working from home today so I only had time for the first bag (Bilbo, Balin, treasure pile and Smaug), but it looks pretty good in person. I'll make a huge comparison later, since I haven't seen anyone else discuss the possibilities of this mold.

Ryuuroden

I measured my orthanc before I left and it had just passed 3 feet tall. Based on that being the height of 5 floors and having 4 more floors to go and then the crown and spires, I am pretty comfortable now with a 7 foot tall estimate from ground to tip of spires. Yay for finally reaching the midpoint of the build.

R-User!

I measured my orthanc before I left and it had just passed 3 feet tall. Based on that being the height of 5 floors and having 4 more floors to go and then the crown and spires, I am pretty comfortable now with a 7 foot tall estimate from ground to tip of spires. Yay for finally reaching the midpoint of the build.

So your waiting for LEGO to make some more black bricks so that you can continue?...

I like that name, and thanks, I was actually wondering if it was a bad idea to use that for the hips lol. Just wanted to try something different than what normal mobile frame zero builds usually do.

The handle bar gives a nice offset for the hips. Makes the stance wider and from the look of it, more stable too.

AWESOME! That's what you call it...awesome. Was it easy to make? It sturdy?

Just glancing at it, it looks really, really fragile. Awesome, but fragile.

The handle bar gives a nice offset for the hips. Makes the stance wider and from the look of it, more stable too.

Just glancing at it, it looks really, really fragile. Awesome, but fragile.

Its actually not that fragile, at least for my hands. I can pose it pretty easily and not worry about anything breaking off. Only problem is the droid body as the ankles, they don't seem to attach that great to hinged pieces.

Experien

Just finished MouseGuard Fall and Winter...digging it. Thinking of backing Bricks of MouseGuard and swapping a bunch of Dwarf heads for the mouse ones!

Rootbeer

Banned
From the new LEGO Club magazine...

mplH1mG.jpg
ZmcyyTS.jpg

Looks like that supposed S13 CMF list may be partially correct?
Loving that Unicorn hat and that Snake! Niice! Also I hope I get my copy of the mag today.
Just finished MouseGuard Fall and Winter...digging it. Thinking of backing Bricks of MouseGuard and swapping a bunch of Dwarf heads for the mouse ones!

Glad you like it! I'm all-in on that kickstarter :) Waiting for them to announce more stretch goals... I might pledge more.

Here is the link again... I hope more people will jump on: Bricks of the Mouse Guard!

Experien

Loving that Unicorn hat and that Snake! Niice! Also I hope I get my copy of the mag today.

Glad you like it! I'm all-in on that kickstarter :) Waiting for them to announce more stretch goals... I might pledge more.

Here is the link again... I hope more people will jump on: Bricks of the Mouse Guard!

In the comments they say if they reach the stretch goal of "add-on menu," there will be capes/cloaks you can add.

Rootbeer

Banned
In the comments they say if they reach the stretch goal of "add-on menu," there will be capes/cloaks you can add.

I'm still hoping one of the mystery stretch goal items will be a tail but I'm not holding my breath :) Capes will still be nice though.

Though to be fair, Itchy did not come with a mouse tail either :(

Right now I am working on fitting the floor plan on a 3 by 4 layout of 32 by 32 baseplates.

Quoting myself, to keep the right scale it's ended up a lot larger than I thought it would be.

The original was smaller scale but 6 floors (external only) took 15,000 pieces (Brikstore says 15KG), my estimate now is that this could top 25,000 at the same stage. As I said, building it for digital fun but if I can get a commision to build I will so only using available parts/colours.

Otherwise I'll try and render it nicely then super impose on a phonto to make a poster.

Hey LEGO Gaf, I don't think I am going to continue collecting CMF series, I thought it would be like a limited run with a few series but now getting them feels more like chore.
So I am selling my CMF collection, it includes series 1 to 11 as well as the movie and Simpsons CMF series.
If anybody is interested just PM me, special price for Gaffers, cheers.

Hey LEGO Gaf, I don't think I am going to continue collecting CMF series, I thought it would be like a limited run with a few series but now getting them feels more like chore.
So I am selling my CMF collection, it includes series 1 to 11 as well as the movie and Simpsons CMF series.
If anybody is interested just PM me, special price for Gaffers, cheers.

I applaud your strength. Seriously.

I was done after series 10, and here I am with a complete set of everything but a few series 12 ones (and Mr Gold, damn you SigfriedFM).

ghostmind

I've skipped the Simpsons CMFs, and will be skipping Simpsons CMF Series 2 as well.

Reducing it to just 2 CMF releases per year makes it a lot more tolerable for me.

I was done after series 10, and here I am with a complete set of everything but a few series 12 ones (and Mr Gold, damn you SigfriedFM).

Mr. Gold never existed... it was all just a dream...

Not so easy I must say, if someone doesn't take them away from me I'll end up buy series 12 soon :(

I've skipped the Simpsons CMFs, and will be skipping Simpsons CMF Series 2 as well.

Reducing it to just 2 CMF releases per year makes it a lot more tolerable for me.

Mr. Gold never existed... it was all just a dream...

My OCD overwrites that way of thinking, I have to buy them all
Help

ghostmind

So here is the new CMF 13 list... rumors until we get more confirmation. These names have also been translated from German.

Galaxy Trooper
Alien Trooper
Evil Wizard
King
Goblin
Lady Cyclops
Snake Charmer
Paleontologyst
Carpenter
Hot dog guy
Sheriff
Samurai
Disco Diva
Unicorn girl
Fencer
Egyptian Warrior

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmmm the rumored set list is leaning heavily in the historical direction. I, for one, love that. Since we have no castle/medieval theme for 2015.

Goblin could potentially be a really cool army builder.

Oh, and I know Simpsons CMF Series 2 may not interest many but I loved Series 1 and can't wait for it continue... unless it's like half repeat figures in different outfits... I will hate that. There are only 16 slots LEGO... please use them wisely.

Today's mail arrivals:
-LEGO holiday catalog... weak, it actually advertises the Holiday Set 1 yet the catalog arrived 3 days after that promo ended. When I saw it in the mailbox I was hoping it was the new LEGO Club Mag.
-Bootleg Shazam minifig. Wish I hadn't passed on this one for so long.

Simpsons was the last CMF line for me. It was just too nerve wracking to get everything, and expensive. There are quite a few in series 12 I want, mainly the pig guy, but not enough for me to go hunting and feeling for it. I will just let my mini fig empire grow the natural way. With sets.

From the new LEGO Club magazine...

mplH1mG.jpg
ZmcyyTS.jpg

Looks like that supposed S13 CMF list may be partially correct?

We have a winner with the Unicorn! Penguin suit person is a must in future CMFs.
I can imagine a rhino suit minifig being very similar to that. They should just do an entire theme of CMFs with mascots!

Here's the highly suspect rumor list that was floating around for those that missed it.

1. Thief
2. Army Man
3. Penguin Suit Guy
4. Tour Guide
5. Chimney Sweep
6. Hobo
7. Teacher
8. Ghoul
9. Snake Charmer
10. Doll
11. Confederate Officer
12. Birthday Boy
13. Mailman
14. Bartender
15. Referee
16. Horseback Rider

Original post with list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134971891&postcount=322

EDIT:

As pointed out by Ghostmind, he has an updated list a few post earlier. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137186221&postcount=891

ghostmind

We have a winner with the Unicorn! Penguin suit person is a must in future CMFs.
I can imagine a rhino suit minifig being very similar to that. They should just do an entire theme of CMFs with mascots!

Here's the highly suspect rumor list that was floating around for those that missed it.

<snip>

Original post with list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134971891&postcount=322

I've got a new list a few posts up from here.

My problem with the new list is that there are at least a few "repeats" unless the dodgy translation threw it off. We have seen a Samurai, Egyptian Woman, Galaxy Trooper, and Alien Trooper before.

ghostmind

Simpsons was the last CMF line for me. It was just too nerve wracking to get everything, and expensive. There are quite a few in series 12 I want, mainly the pig guy, but not enough for me to go hunting and feeling for it. I will just let my mini fig empire grow the natural way. With sets.

I've contracted out a "bag-feeler" (since I was so miserable at fondling those LEGO sacks) for a minimal fee for any future CMF sets I want.

So here is the new CMF 13 list... rumors until we get more confirmation. These names have also been translated from German.

Galaxy Trooper
Alien Trooper
Evil Wizard
King
Goblin
Lady Cyclops
Snake Charmer
Paleontologyst
Carpenter
Hot dog guy
Sheriff
Samurai
Disco Diva
Unicorn girl
Fencer
Egyptian Warrior

Galaxy Trooper - ??? Completely different design and mould from previous space troopers? If not, then why? Granted, I wouldn't mind the armor mould in new colors.
Alien Trooper - ??? Completely different design and mould from previous space troopers? If not, then why? Granted, I wouldn't mind the armor mould in new colors.
Evil Wizard - A bit too soon IMO after the release of the Wizard.
King - Hopefully a new crown mould.
Goblin - Wonder if they will reuse Hobbit goblin moulds or have a completely new one.
Lady Cyclops - Inevitable to get female and/or evil counterparts. Should be good.
Snake Charmer - More or less confirmed with LEGO club image.
Paleontologyst - Are these leftover minifigs from the Research Institute?
Carpenter - meh, hope print is nice though.
Hot dog guy - Better be a guy in a hot dog suit; otherwise BORING. :)
Sheriff - Seems boring.
Samurai - Again???
Disco Diva - I hope they use the same hair in a different color as the disco dude.
Unicorn girl - More or less confirmed with LEGO club image.
Fencer - We just got a swashbuckler. Seems like it would be a boring minifig unless they put a heart on it. Helmet would be cool though.
Egyptian Warrior - Nice to have ancient army builder minifigs.

Galaxy Trooper - ??? Completely different design and mould from previous space troopers? If not, then why? Granted, I wouldn't mind the armor mould in new colors.
Alien Trooper - ??? Completely different design and mould from previous space troopers? If not, then why? Granted, I wouldn't mind the armor mould in new colors.
Evil Wizard - A bit too soon IMO after the release of the Wizard.
King - Hopefully a new crown mould.
Goblin - Wonder if they will reuse Hobbit goblin moulds or have a completely new one.
Lady Cyclops - Inevitable to get female and/or evil counterparts. Should be good.
Snake Charmer - More or less confirmed with LEGO club image.
Paleontologyst - Are these leftover minifigs from the Research Institute?
Carpenter - meh, hope print is nice though.
Hot dog guy - Better be a guy in a hot dog suit; otherwise BORING. :)
Sheriff - Seems boring.
Samurai - Again???
Disco Diva - I hope they use the same hair in a different color as the disco dude.
Unicorn girl - More or less confirmed with LEGO club image.
Fencer - We just got a swashbuckler. Seems like it would be a boring minifig unless they put a heart on it. Helmet would be cool though.
Egyptian Warrior - Nice to have ancient army builder minifigs.

I'm assuming that a fencer means a modern sports fencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom