• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Bought a bunch of Duplo sets to hand out to my niece and nephews throughout the year. TRU has been killing it with their sales lately.

Deefuzz

This is the only good thing about not having a Lego Store in my city. It's a big city (Jacksonville) and has the potential of getting a store eventually so I can get one of these. Also I would love to apply for a part time job to get that awesome discount.

I did that for a year when ours opened in St. Louis.

It's awesome but when you leave it becomes very difficult to spend civilian prices on LEGO. It took me about a year to start buying sets again.

Interesting new brick toy called Sick Bricks that is joining the ranks of video game figures such as Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

Even on their website, I can't find out if they are LEGO compatible. They definitely look LEGO compatible.

I like their simplicity of the simply block look. I wonder if this will catch on as they seem to have the same fun factor as minifigs in terms of swapping out heads and bodies. I guess it depends on how fun the game is. I can see the potential of just collecting them. They are cute and appealing IMO. Arms seems to just be pegs and peg holes. I find it interesting they only have 1 arm, but seem to have a hole on the other side for another arm. Oh, looks like the arms and "accessories" are attached so I can't just the pipe or other accessories for LEGO minifigs. :(

Darn me and my collecting OCD. I hope I don't start collecting these...I definitely want to buy at least a few if they are LEGO compatible.

999999-778988098127_1.jpg-3ba17f3927944c756dc9c35c9017341919f27fbe-optim-460x460.jpg

More links:
http://toyland.gizmodo.com/sick-bricks-has-everything-kids-love-building-gaming-1685107183

Brickset review of Brick Bounty.

Very thorough review. Those new curved pieces for the nests are a long time coming. And also cool to see the cannons mounted almost identical to how I am doing it in my current MOC project. Although mine can be moved back to have the ports covered.

The review also makes me sad that I don't have the hull pieces from the Black Seas Barracuda anymore. I want to rebuild it. How different were the old hulls?

Brickset review of Brick Bounty.

Very thorough review. Those new curved pieces for the nests are a long time coming. And also cool to see the cannons mounted almost identical to how I am doing it in my current MOC project. Although mine can be moved back to have the ports covered.

The review also makes me sad that I don't have the hull pieces from the Black Seas Barracuda anymore. I want to rebuild it. How different were the old hulls?

Pretty different. The back part was built up by default. With the new one, you need to brickbuild all of it. There is a second hull piece that goes on top of the standard piece that makes it almost identical to the old one, I just think the steps are slightly shifted.

The overall proportions of the front/back and middle sections are the same.

Also note that the new ship doesn't have the rear bottom part, just one for the front. So, basically, to replace the hull of BSB with modern parts you need:

2 bottom end parts
3 middle hull sections
1 front upper section
A bunch (20ish) of 1x2x3 inverted slopes
Various bricks to fill in the difference

neonglow

Interesting new brick toy called Sick Bricks that is joining the ranks of video game figures such as Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

Even on their website, I can't find out if they are LEGO compatible. They definitely look LEGO compatible.

I like their simplicity of the simply block look. I wonder if this will catch on as they seem to have the same fun factor as minifigs in terms of swapping out heads and bodies. I guess it depends on how fun the game is. I can see the potential of just collecting them. They are cute and appealing IMO. Arms seems to just be pegs and peg holes. I find it interesting they only have 1 arm, but seem to have a hole on the other side for another arm. Oh, looks like the arms and "accessories" are attached so I can't just the pipe or other accessories for LEGO minifigs. :(

Darn me and my collecting OCD. I hope I don't start collecting these...I definitely want to buy at least a few if they are LEGO compatible.

999999-778988098127_1.jpg-3ba17f3927944c756dc9c35c9017341919f27fbe-optim-460x460.jpg

More links:
http://toyland.gizmodo.com/sick-bricks-has-everything-kids-love-building-gaming-1685107183

I may buy some since they're quite cheap. They should be LEGO compatible since it's made by Spin Masters. They're the ones behind the transforming Tenkai Knights and the really crappy How to Train Your Dragon building sets. I know those are compatible so these should be too.

Ryuuroden

Question for you guys. Do you ever buy something, keep it new and then return it and buy it again during double VIP points? I'm just worried about stuff selling out beforehand.

To me, it wouldn't feel right, you could always go and explain your worry. See what they say.

I worked today so I got to spend hours showing off the new sets to people. I have to admit, the new Ninjago sets are really cool. Other than the fact they were the source of a black ninja Lego Minifig, I never cared about them before but something about the new wave is drawing me in.

There's a dojo set that has this one dude in a karate gi and aviator sunglasses... and then all the cool skull pieces... arghhh

Going for an operation today so ordered all 4 of the single car Speed Champions sets to give me something to build when I get out later this week.

Shame Hullbuster is not out in the UK yet.

Zerojul

Going for an operation today so ordered all 4 of the single car Speed Champions sets to give me something to build when I get out later this week.

Shame Hullbuster is not out in the UK yet.

Hope everything goes well :)
Yeah, I wonder why Hulkbuster is not on the euro S@H yet when we already have Quinjet 2.0 and a bunch of other AoU sets :/

Forgot to mention I saw the new cups a few days ago at the Lego Store... Pretty cool, but I feel they are better as kids mugs than adult coffee ones. The handle is so far out that it's a bit uncomfortable to hold from there, but plenty of space to hold the cup part of it.

I may buy some since they're quite cheap. They should be LEGO compatible since it's made by Spin Masters. They're the ones behind the transforming Tenkai Knights and the really crappy How to Train Your Dragon building sets. I know those are compatible so these should be too.

Ah, makers of Tenkai Knights. I bought a few of those Tenkai Knights for the heck of it, especially on clearance. Too bad the helmets didn't fit on a regular minifig. You can get them to go on a minifig though if you switch out a normal head with a 1x1 round brick.

I worked today so I got to spend hours showing off the new sets to people. I have to admit, the new Ninjago sets are really cool. Other than the fact they were the source of a black ninja Lego Minifig, I never cared about them before but something about the new wave is drawing me in.

There's a dojo set that has this one dude in a karate gi and aviator sunglasses... and then all the cool skull pieces... arghhh

I noticed there are a LOT of new Ninjago sets and a LOT of them are priced at $30 and below. There are quite a few at the $20 and below price point which is good for kids to plead with their parents to buy a set.

mooseman

I'm trying to get rid of some of my sets and thought I'd try here before I sell on bricklink. I mainly lurk here and don't post too often but I've been around for awhile.

Looking to sell Detective's Office, Palace Cinema, and Pet Shop (still sealed). Please PM me if interested. I'll be happy to send pics of anything. My wife might be out of work soon so I need the money more than I need the legos. Might also sell the Parisian Rest. as well as my Guardians of the Galaxy sets.

If this isn't allowed here, sorry :( Just thought I'd give y'all a chance before anyone else.

Fantomex

Not only that but the minifigure lineup isn't that great. That could have been its saving grace but the exclusives in it are low priority for me.

Agreed. I love lego reviewers because there so enthusiastic and like I said positive. But I wish they would add a buy or don't buy summary. 99% of the time they say "cool set" 😫 this avengers tower is very easy to pass and lackluster

robochimp

I noticed there are a LOT of new Ninjago sets and a LOT of them are priced at $30 and below. There are quite a few at the $20 and below price point which is good for kids to plead with their parents to buy a set.

Laying the groundwork for next years Ninjago movie.

Pretty different. The back part was built up by default. With the new one, you need to brickbuild all of it. There is a second hull piece that goes on top of the standard piece that makes it almost identical to the old one, I just think the steps are slightly shifted.

The overall proportions of the front/back and middle sections are the same.

Also note that the new ship doesn't have the rear bottom part, just one for the front. So, basically, to replace the hull of BSB with modern parts you need:

2 bottom end parts
3 middle hull sections
1 front upper section
A bunch (20ish) of 1x2x3 inverted slopes
Various bricks to fill in the difference

Thanks for the response. I had vague memories of the hull parts being different. The underside has places for bricks to help keep it together too, right?

The hulls are about the only thing I am missing from my set though. I still have all the masts and sails (or most of the sails), and even those weird yellow decorative pieces that go near the back.

Of modern ships I have Queen Anne's Revenge, LOTR Pirate Ship, Dolphin Cruiser (hey, it counts), and Sea Cow. The only one still together is the Sea Cow, but probably not for long.

Right now working on a new steampunk ship MOC, and trying not to disassemble Sea Cow for it though. the only thing I took from it were the cannons, and I still need more. The ship I am making is 6 middle hull sections before you add the ends. Right now there is an array of 8 cannons on each side. I haven't even finished the bottom tier of the ship and already it is fairly large and heavy.

Hit up Target before work. Got both Ultra Agents Infearno and Creator Rainforest Animals for 50% off. I was shocked to see Rainforest already marked down.

Thanks for the response. I had vague memories of the hull parts being different. The underside has places for bricks to help keep it together too, right?

The hulls are about the only thing I am missing from my set though. I still have all the masts and sails (or most of the sails), and even those weird yellow decorative pieces that go near the back.

Of modern ships I have Queen Anne's Revenge, LOTR Pirate Ship, Dolphin Cruiser (hey, it counts), and Sea Cow. The only one still together is the Sea Cow, but probably not for long.

Right now working on a new steampunk ship MOC, and trying not to disassemble Sea Cow for it though. the only thing I took from it were the cannons, and I still need more. The ship I am making is 6 middle hull sections before you add the ends. Right now there is an array of 8 cannons on each side. I haven't even finished the bottom tier of the ship and already it is fairly large and heavy.

The original front hull part is 5 1/3 bricks high and 12 studs long and has those useless anchor holes (which aren't even used on BSB). The original back part is also 5 1/3 bricks high but 14 studs long and has a flat backside with mounts for the rudder and two gun ports (also not used on BSB). The new end hull part is 2 1/3 bricks with an optional 3 brick addition which gives it the same dimensions as the old front hull, without the holes. The middle hull pieces are the same sizes, but now have pin holes instead of space underneath for 2x4 bricks to hold them together.

The hull pieces are a little more expensive in the US (strangely) but I'd say it's better to BL the actual pieces rather than building up the hulls yourself. They're only a few bucks each.

Picked up a Billy bookcase + glass door to make an impromptu display case for Lego and a media library.

16696494661_fb1028d825_c.jpg

Might have to go back and get another one, plus some interior LED lighting.

Its hard for me to resist tearing down my old sets to MOC them. Its just so boring to have them sitting on a shelf collecting dust forever. But after I tear them down they inevitably get thrown in the tub of spare parts and then I regret it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, I want to say that I HATE the neck piece for Ultron's minifig. They should have just make a modled head rather than that silly thing that can get easily knocked off center.

Amazon warehouse cancelled an order I placed a couple weeks ago for 70808 Super Cycle Chase for lack of availability. That's never happened to me before.

I notice there's a backlog growing of sale LEGO items I've ordered in the last week.

Rootbeer

Banned
New LEGO mag and Catalog arrived in the mail today!

Yeah, None of the Ultron figs are impressing me. Shame because he actually is an awesome looking character. Just goes to show the limitations of minifigures unless LEGO goes the extra mile with custom parts, instead they chose to do a helm-like piece and it doesn't look right.

This is why I can't understand people who want the Simpsons to have more classic style minifigure heads. Sorry but those custom ones simply look better. It's not purist but it's still great looking.

Amazon warehouse cancelled an order I placed a couple weeks ago for 70808 Super Cycle Chase for lack of availability. That's never happened to me before.

I notice there's a backlog growing of sale LEGO items I've ordered in the last week.

I had a backlog of five sets. Built three, put the other two directly in the parts collection. Problem solved!

I went back to the shop though. There's some stuff that's decently priced at around 40% off, but I can give them a pass for now. Goblin King, Lake Town Escape, Rancor Pit, Sail Barge, B-Wing, the big gunship, some other stuff. If they reduce the prices even further (the stock didn't move as much as I had thought since last time I checked), I might bite on a few more.

Will bigfigs like Great Goblin or Rancor actually become valuable? It seems to be pretty random, some never take off. It seems Helm's Deep is finally going up (of course, since I didn't get a spare). (and whoah, Fire Brigade increased like 10% in a month!) , but Mines of Moria is still below retail.

ghostmind

Looks like the Hulk Buster Smash set quickly sold out on S@H, and now "Will ship in 30 days". I'm hearing that this set is a fast seller at LEGO Stores as well.

I'm holding off until 2x VIP starts to order all of the "Age of Ultron" sets, but in doing so I may be waiting a bit for them to show up.

Rootbeer

Banned
I think I might prefer the look of the original, don't lynch me guys :p

Happy to own both, in any case.

Hulkbuster was also a fast seller on amazon and it's been out of stock for days.

Combination of a Mech (always popular) piloted by iron man (also popular) fighting Hulk (ditto) is hard to top.

Avengers Tower is also sold out now.

I had a backlog of five sets. Built three, put the other two directly in the parts collection. Problem solved!
Oh, by "backlog" in this case I mean they haven't shipped my orders yet. I'm in no rush, but I hope they don't get cancelled. I ordered discounted sets I already had to use parts for the TIE Advanced base stand I am working on. I don't care about the sets themselves.

My actual backlog isn't too bad but goes back years and includes some of my bigger sets:

Haunted House
UCS Imperial Shuttle
Attack on Weathertop
Mines of Moria
Battle at Black Gate
UCS Slave 1

ghostmind

It appears that there will be one more Star Wars set this June - set 75096 Sith Infiltrator, from the Phantom Menace. This set will likely be a retailer-exclusive, which is why it wasn't at Toy Fair. The set is reported to include Darth Maul, Watto, Young Anakin, an Astromech droid, and Qui-Gon Jinn.

The same source is reporting that Boba Fett (rather than Jango Fett) and a Stormtrooper (rather than Commander Cody) will be part of the upcoming constraction line, along with Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and General Grievous.

I'm hoping to get some images soon...

Ponn

Banned
Even if Quinjet 2.0 is a great build and set like everyone is saying it won't change my opinion that the original Quinjet does indeed look better. Those wings and booster jets are just fantastic looking.

I'm enjoying the shit out of Star Wars Rebels. I have a feeling it will be my gateway drug into Lego Star Wars. I'm already regretting not going to Walmart when they had that pricing error on the Ghost.

Just saw the Upscaled Mug mentioned a bit ago, gonna have to replace all my cups with those. What a brilliant idea.

Also took a look on S@H since we haven't gotten the new Keychains in at work yet and it's totally the CMF Robot I was hoping for:

So stoked, can't wait to add him and the Gingerbread Man to the Red Brick and StarLord on my key ring.

ghostmind

Even if Quinjet 2.0 is a great build and set like everyone is saying it won't change my opinion that the original Quinjet does indeed look better. Those wings and booster jets are just fantastic looking.

I'm enjoying the shit out of Star Wars Rebels. I have a feeling it will be my gateway drug into Lego Star Wars. I'm already regretting not going to Walmart when they had that pricing error on the Ghost.

The season finale of Rebels tonight was spectacular. Looking forward to getting some of these new characters to the show in minifig-form. Season 2 is already confirmed at twice as many episodes as Season 1, and Season 3 has been given the go-ahead to start scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom