• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided not to wait for Lego to produce a second UCS version of this ship. I'm not sure if they ever will as I think the original release was done really well. I've only seen it once in person, and that was years ago, but I remember how nice it looked.

I've never bricklinked a set before (only a few pieces/figures here and there), so I have no clue where to start other than to find the parts list and try to manually find a seller who has most of the parts and go from there. I remember reading somewhere that there are several rare pieces, windows and orange slopes. I'm planning (not sure if it's feasible/doable) to replace the orange slopes with grey so it would look like Luke's snowspeeder. Hopefully, that will save me some money. Before I go down this path, anyone here have any advice or words of wisdom they'd like to share? Thanks guys.

Ah, then yeah...I think you're out of luck.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=15353

I've never really looked at Hero Factory or Bionicle. Any recommendations on a currently-available set to pick up?

Nah. I thought I'd like the Hero Factory minifigs, but they are kinda awkward IMO. I didn't like how they stretched them out and the feet of the legs seem to close to each other.

They do have some nice parts though and if you like the constraction, they are worth it on clearance. I got them 40-50% off.

I've never really looked at Hero Factory or Bionicle. Any recommendations on a currently-available set to pick up?

The new Bionicle 2015 Toa are great. Kopaka and Pohatu are my current favorites, but it changes every now and then. They're all good, Onua is the only controversial one due to his exaggerated proportions that some people hate and others love.

A very nice modular style MOC.

16065039407_c939106cef_o.jpg
HSB Full Logo by Klikstyle, on Flickr

Toxi

Banned

I'd recommend one of the 15 or 20 dollar Bionicle sets that isn't the Lord of Skull Spiders. They're poseable and fun to play with using their gear functions, and they each come with a skull spider and golden mask as accessories.

Tahu, Master of Fire (red) and Gali, Master of Water (blue) are the ones I personally like the most.

Man, I love those roof tiles.

I've decided not to wait for Lego to produce a second UCS version of this ship. I'm not sure if they ever will as I think the original release was done really well. I've only seen it once in person, and that was years ago, but I remember how nice it looked.

I've never bricklinked a set before (only a few pieces/figures here and there), so I have no clue where to start other than to find the parts list and try to manually find a seller who has most of the parts and go from there. I remember reading somewhere that there are several rare pieces, windows and orange slopes. I'm planning (not sure if it's feasible/doable) to replace the orange slopes with grey so it would look like Luke's snowspeeder. Hopefully, that will save me some money. Before I go down this path, anyone here have any advice or words of wisdom they'd like to share? Thanks guys.

I'm getting lots of mileage out of this guide I wrote :D

How to piece together a UCS Millennium Falcon (or any other expensive out-of-print Lego set)

Check Rebrickable before you start. A bunch of pieces are rare, some are only in that set and those are going to cost you. However, this set is from the old grey era. You can probably replace all that grey with light bluish grey and find much cheaper pieces. If you also substitute the orange and find something else for the transparent stuff, it shouldn't be too bad.

Dat roof. At first I thought it was the 1x2 double angle bricks, but then realized it was twice as many 1x1 cheese slopes.

I am jealous of the use of the large curved window piece for the back case. It is so obvious, why didn't I think of it when making a bake case before? I am definitely stealing that sometime in the future.

How to piece together a UCS Millennium Falcon (or any other expensive out-of-print Lego set)

Check Rebrickable before you start. A bunch of pieces are rare, some are only in that set and those are going to cost you. However, this set is from the old grey era. You can probably replace all that grey with light bluish grey and find much cheaper pieces. If you also substitute the orange and find something else for the transparent stuff, it shouldn't be too bad.

If I wind up pursuing the old modulars and Imperial flagship this way, I blame you for writing the guide. It all sounds so.... marginally less insane this way.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

Thanks for this, I've been looking for a lot of the older Batman sets and this will really help.

Thanks! I'm definitely ok with substituting expensive pieces for cheaper ones. I believe some of the Orange pieces are expensive so I'm thinking of swapping them for grey and making it Luke's speeder. I'm definitely getting a replacement sticker sheet vs an original. Thx again!

Caladrius

Gali, Kopaka and Tahu are all really good sets. All have a nice set of pieces and colors (Gali in particular), including some translucent parts. All of those sets (and Pohatu) also have good articulation and play features.

How big are modulars btw

Large enough to fit on a 32 x 32 stud baseplate, and between 20-30cm/ 8-12in. tall

EDIT: My height figures are all wrong, listen to Siegfried

ghostmind

ToysRUs Canada has 20% off Bionicle, Chima and Technic, starting on Friday.

Also, they are offering a free "Azari's Magic Fire" polybag with any $25 or up Elves purchase.

Chapters/Indigo has 20% off LEGO CITY, Star Wars and Super Heroes sets.

So i am almost done with Box 3 of the Death Star and... i just love this little Return of the Jedi Emperor throne room vignette!!! May be my favorite in the whole thing (though i have yet to build the planet destroyer cannon and that Tie Fighter Hangar thingy.

ZwnlQ31.jpg

3uTswJO.jpg

aeQSjZk.jpg

wetwired

So i am almost done with Box 3 of the Death Star and... i just love this little Return of the Jedi Emperor throne room vignette!!! May be my favorite in the whole thing (though i have yet to build the planet destroyer cannon and that Tie Fighter Hangar thingy.

ZwnlQ31.jpg

3uTswJO.jpg

aeQSjZk.jpg

Nice, that set is dying for some integrated lighting

I finished box 3 a little over a week ago and the Emperor's Throne Room is my favorite so far. I couldn't believe how simple the build was and how fantastic it turned out. I sorted box 4 a few days ago but have yet to start building. I'm anxious to see how the Imperial Conference Chamber turns out.

woodypop

3uTswJO.jpg
Yeah, this portion of the Death Star makes the Death Star Final Duel (75093) redundant for me. But it's great to have options, especially for those (unfortunate souls) who don't have the Death Star.

Experien

I'm three minutes into the Rebels finale....and we absolutely, definitely need to get that Tie Fighter in LEGO form.

Not sure I am feeling or understand why they made the small tie fighter have a mini-command deck in the show. Isn't it supposed to be just enough room for the pilot, not 4 people?

687474703a2f2f696d616765732e77696b69612e636f6d2f73746172776172732f696d616765732f662f66632f544945665f78736563742e6a7067

Toxi

Banned
My biggest issue with Kopaka is that his spear arm is way too loose. I'll probably mod it with another gear for added friction later on.

I also need to mod his shield to look better; the way he currently holds it is just funky.

But man, does he look intimidating charging with his shield up and spear down. I know people hate the gold, but I think it works at making him look like a hoplite or some other ancient Greek warrior. I really like the big shins.

I'm surprised by all the Gali love. She has some cool stuff, but is honestly close to the bottom list of favorites.

I think every week I have a new favorite, but Gali is never up there.

So, uh, has anybody picked up and built the helicarrier yet?

I was planning on grabbing it for double points, but all the mixed reviews are making me second-guess myself.

It'll be my first "UCS" because I've never had a deep affinity for Starwars, and I don't love the look of the Tumbler (the front wheels are too big!).

The Death Star is too big and not wife-approved... but somehow I convinced her that the helicarrier will be less of an eyesore. Is it worth it?

I was planning on grabbing it for double points, but all the mixed reviews are making me second-guess myself.

It'll be my first "UCS" because I've never had a deep affinity for Starwars, and I don't love the look of the Tumbler (the front wheels are too big!).

The Death Star is too big and not wife-approved... but somehow I convinced her that the helicarrier will be less of an eyesore. Is it worth it?

I'm surprised she said the Best Star is too big as the footprint on that set is MUCH smaller than the helicarrier. If you're an Avengers fan, I don't see how you can go wrong buying it. I don't have the helicarrier, but I will definitely be buying it later. There are mixed reviews so I suggest you watch Jang's review and come to your own conclusion.

3N16MA

Banned
Snagged The Milano Spaceship Rescue at 40% off at Target. LEGO was the first thing to get wiped out as the liquidation started so I was surprised to see it there.

Oh? I wasn't aware there were mixed reviews with the Helicarrier...

What are some of the negatives people list then? As far as a pure display piece is concerned, i think it looks pretty great! (I haven't bought it yet, just from photos etc. )

Oooh, we may get an Ahsoka Tano minifig without those crappy Clone Wars eyes. Stupid Star Wars making me want those Rebels minifigs more and more.

That's the first thing I thought of. I loved that unexpected appearance....actually both cameos were awesome, even though the last one was a bit obvious.

There were a number of new ships that showed up in the episode-looking forward to more sets from the sub-theme.

Oh? I wasn't aware there were mixed reviews with the Helicarrier...

What are some of the negatives people list then? As far as a pure display piece is concerned, i think it looks pretty great! (I haven't bought it yet, just from photos etc. )

Jang was talking about how he felt there wasn't enough value in the box for the $350.00 price tag and it should be closer to $250. I agree, and I'm probably never going to get it considering you could get an entire next gen video game console for the same price-- and with some bundled games, too.

Got two huge BL packages today, covering four or five different projects I have in mind. But I still can't get going since there's a few more important parts coming in, within the next week or so.

But once it all gets here, oh boy, it's gonna be glorious!

woodypop

Jang was talking about how he felt there wasn't enough value in the box for the $350.00 price tag and it should be closer to $250. I agree, and I'm probably never going to get it considering you could get an entire next gen video game console for the same price-- and with some bundled games, too.
Me, too. I want to like it, but it simply doesn't blow me away, especially for the price. I think of all the other sets (and video games) I could get for $350, and they outweigh the Helicarrier.

The only two UCS sets I've bought have been the Death Star and the Sandcrawler. In my opinion, the Death Star is worth every penny. Absolutely no regrets with that set. (I haven't built the Sandcrawler yet.)

Rootbeer

Banned
Also passing on Helicarrier, despite wanting to like it. I think it's a nice piece, just not for me. I can't really explain why, it just doesn't do anything for me. I have every single SH set released since the 2012 Avengers wave, but I'm trying not to count this one. ;)

Maybe they should have done a UCS Quinjet or something closer to minifigure scale, that would probably excite me more.

Here's hoping we get an updated UCS Falcon. Now that is something I could get behind, even at $350. I love the Slave I.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I DID IT! TRU randomly removed the October date for Iceklaw's Mech and I got it! What a ride that was.

I haven't built the whole thing but I fixed it when it broke in our store, and I went from not wanting it to wanting it after playing around with it and rebuilding parts.

But it is SO expensive. Even with the discount. And when you look at the Star Wars UCS sets and the number of figures they come with, there's like.. no reason they shouldn't have included the entire Avengers cast with it. At least an exclusive Bruce Banner fig! Come on!! Yeah the NanoFigs are super awesome and adorable but when you look at the figure count of something like Ewok Village, which costs LESS by over $100, or even the figure count on Death Star which is only $50 more, it's just ridiculous. Even the Sand Crawler, $50 less, has more figures. I guess one could make the argument that those are also playsets and the figures are warranted, but in that case make the entire Avengers with the NanoFigs, not just 4 of them and then 8 Shield agents.

It's a really cool set but I feel like there's a lot of wasted potential and the price point is just crazy.

neonglow

With that price range, I'd expect the set to last a couple years. The hype from the Age of Ultron movie should bring in sales this year. If it's a slow mover next year, I'd expect them to discount it around fall of 2016.

Maengun1

Checked out the new Avengers sets in store today. Hulkbuster is cool and all, but I really like the Avengers Tower. Probably gonna pick it up eventually, but since I don't have any of the previous ones, if I get this one I'd need to get more to have at least 1 minifig for each Avenger.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woo. It's the weekend again, which means my weekly trip to Walmart to check out the clearance. Gonna stop by a different Walmart tomorrow and see what their Lego clearance looks like.

Ponn

Banned
Whoa, lots of Helicarrier hating going on in here. I will not be dissuaded, the lack of mini figs is disappointing but I understand the need to go with all the nanofigs (though that is no excuse not to include a Black Widow and Maria Hill nanofig). Yes its the same price as a console, but It will only go up in price with time where as consoles will decrease. And, I mean, come on, its the freaking HELICARRIER!!

I'm on a building spree. Build the Sinestro/GL set last night. Kind of cool plane but this is all about the figs which are awesome. I started building the Dol Guldur set tonight. It's, yea its about what I expected. I wanted the figs not the set. I'm going to build it then maybe think of how to MOC it with the Moria set to make a better looking Moria scene. I also got a couple new 6 foot shelves put up and i'm going to make one of them a LoTR/Hobbit shelf. I need to rebuild Helms Deep for it. The other shelf will just be a Super Hero throwaway shelf for now till I start getting some Modulars then it will be my Modular Super Hero shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom