• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargas

S@H charged my card for the Helicarrier. The price was was the big sticking point for me but I had 85 in VIP points.

Me, too. I want to like it, but it simply doesn't blow me away, especially for the price. I think of all the other sets (and video games) I could get for $350, and they outweigh the Helicarrier.

The only two UCS sets I've bought have been the Death Star and the Sandcrawler. In my opinion, the Death Star is worth every penny. Absolutely no regrets with that set. (I haven't built the Sandcrawler yet.)

But when the Helicarrier go out of print, it will probably worth at least double what you paid for in the mean time your video game system and games will be practically worth nothing (though you do get to play them more in the mean time versus LEGO that you build just once). I regret all the money I spend on so many video games during the past few years many of which just sat in my backlog and as I get older, video games are just not my prefer hobby. I still play games but not as aggressive and I wish my video games collection would be worth something. If I would have spend them on LEGO .... especially UCS stuffs back then.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pft videogames. My Lego budget laughs at the money I spend on games.

I might have said that over the last 3 or so years. But this year I'm building a top-of-the-line gaming rig and some VR headsets. so it's going to cut into my LEGO spending, I can sense it. :p Maybe not too much... but w'ell see.

A lot can change between now and the Episode VII set reveals :p

Skylake, come at me!

Currently building the Cannon section of the Death Star and... damn, this just might take the cake from the Emperor's throne room after all.. Just the fact that you can rotate the damn thing UP AND DOWN via that crazy mechanism i just built is all sorts of awesome and i didn't even get to the exterior cannon building yet.

I've heard this as well. Would love to see some build pictures as he goes along and hear how it is.

Close up of Tantive IV with the main skeleton frame in the background:

y8eWZJr.jpg

This set is truly huge. Started on Tuesday, and this is how far I have got after 1 to 2 hours of work every day after work. I suspect I also use a lot of extra time since I bought it used. The seller have somewhat organized the pieces, but I still use fair amount of time to locate the right parts. I realize now that I might use more than one week to finish this!

mrkgoo

I thought I stopped getting lego, but just got back with Nurp-naut, McClaren P1 Spee Champions and Frozen ice paalce set (for my daughter, who's birthday isn't for two months, but I figure it could be one that's hard to find later).

Damn you, Lego!

by the by, I think this is the second set I've bought recently that has TWO sticker sheets - is this what they do now in case you apply them poorly?

I thought I stopped getting lego, but just got back with Nurp-naut, McClaren P1 Spee Champions and Frozen ice paalce set (for my daughter, who's birthday isn't for two months, but I figure it could be one that's hard to find later).

Damn you, Lego!

by the by, I think this is the second set I've bought recently that has TWO sticker sheets - is this what they do now in case you apply them poorly?

The car? The Frozen set shouldn't have any extra stickers in any case. Maybe you just got lucky.

mrkgoo

The car? The Frozen set shouldn't have any extra stickers in any case. Maybe you just got lucky.

I meant the car, yes.

Being for my Daughter's birthday a couple months later, I haven't opened the Frozen set yet.

But I recent set I put together also had two sticker sheets. I think it was Jabba's Sail Barge.

ruxtpin

Banned
Whenever I do those Lego surveys after shopping at my local store I say that pieces should be printed or there should be two sticker sheets.

Getting back into games more heavily destroyed my lego spending habits in 2014.... Missed out on town hall because of it, which I'll probably pay for dearly in the future.

LEGO helpful hint #140: Video game prices fall over time. Good LEGO sets rise in value over time.

mrkgoo

Whenever I do those Lego surveys after shopping at my local store I say that pieces should be printed or there should be two sticker sheets.

I actually don't mind stickers in some sets. There's obviously a reason they use stickers besides just cost, because you would've thought the collectors sets would all be printed and some cheaper stuff wouldn't be.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, it seems clearance season is over for me. Checked my two nearby Walmarts and mostly all the old stuff was gone and the few things that were left on clearance weren't really that great of clearances.

Probably for the best though, since my shelf that has become my Lego display shelf is now almost completely full after just 3 months of getting back into Lego. Soon I'll have to start breaking some of the sets down...

Anyways, it's not much, but I took a couple pictures of my full shelf. Apologies for the awful lighting. (Not displayed are Ideas Birds and the Aviation Adventures plane which are on top of my bookshelf)

I couldn't really capture it in the picture, but I love the way the Mechdragon looks on top of Pet Shop. The Mechdragon isn't the greatest set all around, but it does look very menacing, and I like that.

Also, I think I managed to capture the Blackbird (from the X-Men vs the Sentinel set) from the only angle where it doesn't look fantastic. Haha

Lastly, while I was putting everything away on my shelf and doing some quick posing, I realized I really want a lot more modulars just so that I can have more space to pose minifigs. I especially like posing the very out of place minifigs from the crazier themes in with the very normal folks of the modular buildings.

LEGO helpful hint #140: Video game prices fall over time. Good LEGO sets rise in value over time.
Well, Nintendo puts me in the world where things stay at full retail price more often than not, and the niche things explode in value like a Lego set, so that's not particularly true for my personal gaming habits. Plus, games demand less physical space, which I'm pretty much out of for time being. Also, I just platoon wanted the games more.

Well, I came out of the Lego closet to my workmates tonight :). Most of them haven't been at my place and none since I started buying Lego again. They were all quite awed by my collection. We talked a bit about it before starting the party proper (Rock Band night) and I showed off some of the advanced stuff that can be done. Two of them are rather geeky dads who now know of the existence of Bricklink...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Close up of Tantive IV with the main skeleton frame in the background:

This set is truly huge. Started on Tuesday, and this is how far I have got after 1 to 2 hours of work every day after work. I suspect I also use a lot of extra time since I bought it used. The seller have somewhat organized the pieces, but I still use fair amount of time to locate the right parts. I realize now that I might use more than one week to finish this!

That already looks flimsy. I know on the SSD and Falcon the entire first half of the build is the superstructure to support everything. That looks like a breeze would topple it. Maybe the superstructure comes later.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'd love to get a 79116 Big Rig Snow Getaway (TMNT) on clearance... it's the last set I need to have a 100% complete LEGO TMNT collection (sans convention minifigs). I really don't want to pay $60 for it, ho hum :/

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'd love to get a 79116 Big Rig Snow Getaway (TMNT) on clearance... it's the last set I need to have a 100% complete LEGO TMNT collection (sans convention minifigs). I really don't want to pay $60 for it, ho hum :/

Heh. Both of my local Walmarts had a ton of that set on clearance actually. $49 if I remember correctly. I kinda like it, but not enough to pay $49 for it. It's a good deal for what it is, but it's still $49.

Welp, got Lord of Skull Spiders + Bionicle Promo Bag (great Hau mask!) + Free Build A Fig + Space Trooper CMF13.... happy with what I have.

Glad to say I have all the Bionicle sets now. Now summer is the next thing.

Last CMFs I want from 13 is Evil Wizard and King.

Ponn

Banned
Finished Dol Guldur and the add on set with Beorn tonight. Going to put the Witch King set together and make the rescue scene with Gandalf in the cage. I found it funny that they had the cage Gandalf was in but in the instructions had the skeleton in it instead to avoid spoilers. Or maybe i'm giving them to much credit.

It's not bad, in line with the rest of the Hobbit sets but I know thats not saying much. My LoTR/Hobbit shelf is filling out though and now i'm wanting the Goblin King set for some reason. Should have got it when it was on sale for $60 but the good news its not in high demand and I can get it for $90 still on Amazon.

Tomorrow if I still feel ok and migraine free i will either work on Helms Deep or Darkseid Invasion.

ghostmind

The LEGO Elves TV special, titled "Elves: Unite the Magic" is a half-hour special will air on the Disney Channel on Sunday, March 8 at 9:00am, and again on Monday, March 9 at 2:00pm.

That would be tomorrow, so set your DVRs if interested, and check your local listings as with the time change tonight the listed time may be off by an hour.

3N16MA

Banned

That was the one of the sets that they has lots of when I visited Target a couple days ago. 40% off right now during the liquidation. Take a trip to Canada.

Finished Dol Guldur and the add on set with Beorn tonight. Going to put the Witch King set together and make the rescue scene with Gandalf in the cage. I found it funny that they had the cage Gandalf was in but in the instructions had the skeleton in it instead to avoid spoilers. Or maybe i'm giving them to much credit.

It's not bad, in line with the rest of the Hobbit sets but I know thats not saying much. My LoTR/Hobbit shelf is filling out though and now i'm wanting the Goblin King set for some reason. Should have got it when it was on sale for $60 but the good news its not in high demand and I can get it for $90 still on Amazon.

Tomorrow if I still feel ok and migraine free i will either work on Helms Deep or Darkseid Invasion.

The hobbit sets I was dead on getting all of for a while just to get every dwarf. After that I haven't wanted many other hobbit sets though I want Smaug if it ever drops a bit.

Dol Guldor is super 'meh' but the figs are great. The plus about it is that it connects to two other smaller sets (Bejorn n Witch King sets).

wetwired

A couple of recent scores, a 2nd blue nightwing (and his bike), brand new from a trade (6x LOTR orcs) Not sure what I'll do with a 2nd one but I figured why not, trade some figs I didn't want for one that is worth a bit.

Also scored Dr Ock for $5 from a local trade meet, I am kicking myself I didn't get the dark blue spiderman the same guy had.

pickups.jpg

3N16MA

Banned
A couple of recent scores, a 2nd blue nightwing (and his bike), brand new from a trade (6x LOTR orcs) Not sure what I'll do with a 2nd one but I figured why not, trade some figs I didn't want for one that is worth a bit.

Also scored Dr Ock for $5 from a local trade meet, I am kicking myself I didn't get the dark blue spiderman the same guy had.

pickups.jpg

Do you have any plans for E.T.?

Cool news time, Walmart had a set on sale because of a damaged box.

B_g5DlwW8AAPc8q.jpg:large

I checked online, brand new it goes for 15-17$, Walmart had it marked down to $5, all the bags and instructions inside were in excellent condition. 200+ pieces for 5 bucks, can't go wrong with that, plus I love planes and aircraft in general.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I got two Galaxy Squad Crater Creeper for ~$6 each at TRU. More bugs for the army! Still need Bug Obliterator and Star Slicer to complete the series!

wetwired

Very nice score, GruntOfAction.

And I am jealous of the Doc Ock fig, Wetwired.

I nearly missed it, it was at a swap meet in a bag with a dark blue spiderman. I saw it and couldn't find the guy whose table it was so I wandered around for a bit and came back. He said he'd just swapped it for something else, about $5 worth of trade he said. I found out who he traded it too and hit him up, I didn't ask about the spiderman, just doc ock and he said $5 so I snapped it up straight away. I should have asked about the dark blue spiderman too even though I already have one.

Fowler

Saw a store in the local LEGO mall selling the new Quinjet minus minifigs for just $36. Pretty tempted, even though buying Vision and Ultron separately would bump up the price, it'd still be less than retail...

Regarding Lego compared to other hobbies...

I have a lot of hobbies, Lego being one of them. I tend to spread my money around all of them fairly equally when all is said and done.

I collect movies - I have over 1500 DVDs and another 300 Blu Rays with a black out media room with all the bells and whistles to support this hobby.

I collect and play board games - I own around 150 board games.

I collect and play video games - Over 500 physical games for 360, PS3, Wii, Xbone, PS4, WiiU, 3DS, and Vita. I also have a top of the line gaming PC with a 3x24" monitor set up.

I collect and build Lego - Lord only knows how many sets I have. Hundreds at least.

I build movie props - I've done a full Ghostbuster outfit and am working on a set of Star Lord guns and outfit for display/cosplay.

I collect and paint miniatures and scratch build scale model scenery - I've been doing this for almost 30 years.

I collect and read all manner of Warhammer 40k, from novels and codex/rule books, to assembling and painting armies - another 30 year hobby that goes hand in hand with the above.

Any one of the above hobbies is expensive as hell. Juggling them all can get very interesting indeed. My interests in my hobbies tend to swing like a pendulum though. Some things get put away only for another to get dragged out and replace it. I'm almost 40 so I have been collecting many of these things for years or even decades. Time and hobbies add up! Any single one of my hobbies/collections is enough to impress anyone into that particular scene.

Pros: I'm often able to wait for sales or otherwise good deals on the majority of my hobbies. If I just had one or two, I would be spending a lot more to maintain a single/couple of hobbies. Another really interesting thing is the tendency for stockpiling of hobbies. For Instance, my Lego collection has a solid 20-30 sets built up again because I buy them on sale and file them away while I'm currently focused on another hobby. It's actually pretty cool. My backlog of video games would make you pass out. So would my board game collection. I have a dozen movies on deck to watch that I own at any given time. It's awesome working on several projects between multiple hobbies and having them all finish right around the same time.

Cons: Sometimes I have lots of "must haves" for each hobby release right at the same time. I do have a hobby budget and it gets a tad frustrating when 3 video games, a new 40k Codex, a board game expansion, and a Blu Ray boxed set all come out during the same week. That happens more than you would ever imagine.

All this brings me to an interesting observation. I am not a super fan of any one hobby. I consider a superfan as someone who chooses a single hobby and dumps every cent into it. All of the above hobbies that I have are filled with super fans that never cease to blow my mind. I've seen guys into Warhammer 40k easily spend $1-2k a month on that stuff. I've seen people so devoted to Lego that they do the same thing. It's all they focus on. That's not a bad thing at all. Quite the opposite in fact! It makes me realize that if I did stop my other hobbies and focused on a single one, I could easily be a super fan. I just prefer spreading the money and time investment between lots of different things.

Just for fun, here is a pic of my haul from last Xmas that partially illustrates my point!

5Kc6gPE.jpg

Some of the best things in life for me are:

Building Lego with my wife and kids while we watch movies. Also with Lego, it's building an entire series at once.

Playing WoW on my PC with my wife next to me doing crafts while we binge watch a "new to us" series via Netflix after the kids go to bed. (I have a 44" TV mounted above my PC for this purpose!)

Playing board games with family and friends. As my children age, they are always ready for a new challenge or game mechanic. I love hearing them try and explain our family game nights to their friends, lol.

A quiet afternoon of painting miniatures with music playing in the background. It's so relaxing and fun. I feel ultra creative with this hobby and am always super satisfied with having results/progress at the end of a hobby day. If you put a solid 8 hours into this hobby, you really feel like you accomplished something.

Anyway, this is just a rambling mess of a post kicked of by someone lamenting their former hobbies. I think every hobby has merit. There is nothing lost if you honestly found a bit of peace and happiness while doing it.

Rootbeer

Banned
For me it's, in no particular order, LEGO, figures, gaming (pc, console and handheld). My other hobbies and interests are of negligible financial impact. Such as digital art or writing. once you invest in a few pieces of hardware and/or software you're pretty much good. Other things I hope to explore down the road include photography and travel. I've done very little travel because I'm too focused on other things.

Yeah I love movies but I don't buy many -- I leave that to my roommate who is more of a blu-ray collector so I can leech off of his investments. I'll buy a few here and there such as ones he has less interest in than me (LotR/Hobbit/Star Wars being some). I'm also into tabletop roleplaying but I haven't been able to find a new group since I moved so I haven't been investing in that lately. Would love to play the new Fantasy Flight Games SW games (either x-wing, the rpg or their spinoffs). For a period of about 10 years I was the primary dungeon master for my local group of friends, but I moved and it's been a dry spell since.

No kids also helps me a lot. Though I have a nephew now and more coming, it's great having them around but being a parent probably isn't in my future. Not cause I don't enjoy kids, but because it's just unlikely to happen :p

Rootbeer

Banned
Toys R Us has 20% off all LEGO Star Wars sets (except the usual suspects like Sand Crawler.) There is also a coupon for $5 off any LEGO purchase of $25 or more (it's listed in the details of every item, hard to miss), free shipping with $49 or more, and you can use Shoprunner to get 2-day shipping instead of the 5 to 7 day shipping that comes standard. Shoprunner has no minimum order size. The items that actually qualify for Shoprunner can be spotty at times, but the last few months everything I've wanted to order qualified, so maybe they are expanding it.

Oh, these discounts expand to City and Minecraft (possibly more?) but I think those were already on sale before today.

Grabbed the AT-DP and some more shadow troopers.

Yay I have all the Rebels sets now except for the Wookie Gunship. That set is gonna require a bit more than 20% off for me :p

It's my boyfriend's birthday on Saturday and he really wanted the new Slave 1 set. Unfortunately I've left it a bit late, and now I can't get it anywhere.

The only other thing he wants is the Death Star, so it looks like I might have to shell out a bit more and get this instead.

I went to the Lego store yesterday and saw the helicarrier for the first time in person. I've always liked it ever since I saw the pictures and videos but surprisingly, it was underwhelming in person. I can't pinpoint why. It just doesn't have the wow factor that I was expecting...not like the UCS Slave I and Tumbler when I first saw those in person. They had all three next to each other at the store. I'm kind of sad now because it's been on my buy list but now I'm on the fence. This might be a good thing because that would mean $350 for other stuff like modulars or Star Wars.

Ryuuroden

Started placing a multitude of bricklink orders again after a 2 month hiatus. :) Getting the odds and ends I need for the Orthanc plus stuff to do the entire landscape around it.

ghostmind

It's my boyfriend's birthday on Saturday and he really wanted the new Slave 1 set. Unfortunately I've left it a bit late, and now I can't get it anywhere.

The only other thing he wants is the Death Star, so it looks like I might have to shell out a bit more and get this instead.

Yeah, it looks like S@H in the UK is backordered for Slave I until March 20th.

Still... getting the Death Star as a birthday present is epic.

JANG reviews Juniors 10679 Pirate Treasure Hunt:

http://youtu.be/5RxkOnRkcbU

SjSy4wH.jpg

Also with exclusive prints (including a brand new map tile) and a very rare black treasure chest.

Ten bucks!

Also, classic dot eyes on the shark!!

Thanks for posting these reviews of the Junior sets and pointing out their exclusive prints and parts. I never would have given them a second thought but now I'm absolutely gonna buy a few when I have money again.

Yes, Lego is clever releasing sought after items in these sets. I thought I had lost a gold lattice piece for the Creator Lighthouse and saw that I could get it in a bunch of rare OOP sets or in a Juniors my first princess set. Luckily it turned up.

ruxtpin

Banned
Sooo. Moving in about 3 months is a guarantee. I've already started to put backlog into larger boxes for easier moving. I think I'm already over my keeping the boxes phase. At first I was like, "keeping the box could help resale value!" ... but now I'm like, "please, I ain't selling any of this."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom