• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

What's a good set for a 5 year old? Looking for something I could have fun building with him, but then once it is taken apart, it leaves him with a good mix of parts to just mess around. Is the Lego City stuff the way to go? I've seen some 3 in 1 sets too that look fun.

What's a good set for a 5 year old? Looking for something I could have fun building with him, but then once it is taken apart, it leaves him with a good mix of parts to just mess around. Is the Lego City stuff the way to go? I've seen some 3 in 1 sets too that look fun.

Creator sets. They give you multiple builds to do, and a great assortment of pieces to use later. Not to mention they are usually some of the better priced sets as well. It is the most reliable "theme" in my opinion.

If you happen to build it without the stickers, would you mind posting a picture? I'm still dying to see photos of the Speed Champions sets without the stickers.

Here, it looks alright but the printed roof made the car look off. Since it's a GT race car it does need stickers like the real thing.

ITG5CMs.jpg

Can always go old school for a 5 year old.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Classic
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Classic-ByTheme

EDIT: You can filter on the LEGO online shop by age. :)

Here, it looks alright but the printed roof made the car look off. Since it's a GT race car it do need stickers like the real thing.

Wait! The windshield is printed?!? The windshield and roof look like one piece. Please don't say it is...it's not very reusable if it is. Dozen stickers or so and decide to print on the new windshield piece. Sadness.

3N16MA

Banned

Creator Thunder Wings is a good set. My niece had fun with all three designs or you could go with Future flyers which is similar.

Wait! The windshield is printed?!? The windshield and roof look like one piece. Please don't say it is...it's not very reusable if it is. Dozen stickers or so and decide to print on the new windshield piece. Sadness.

The one on Italia is printed and roof and screen is one piece. I think LEGO print for many of the clear parts instead of using stickers when they are made for kids and not just adult (like the UCS and Modular). It's probably also have to do with quantities being produce. Which if you think is sort of annoying because you would think they should print part for something like the UCS Red 5 X-Wing. Poor LEGO they can't win, they give us a printed piece we complain they gave us sticker we complain. LOL.

Anyway, they do look pretty good, and I am admire them for trying to capture the curve of that Porsche Spyder. Now I can only dream about Creator versions of these supercars set in the scale and details of the MINI and VW.

Norfair

If you happen to build it without the stickers, would you mind posting a picture? I'm still dying to see photos of the Speed Champions sets without the stickers.

I have four of the Speed Champion cars built without stickers. They don't look bad but not as good as they could.

I can post some pictures tonight if I remember.

kapowza

I like those speed champions cars, they remind me of that cell shaded racing game from the PS2 from Capcom that wasn't very good.

I'm almost finished the Detective Office now, it's fuckin' great except the mirror piece keeps tilting forward. Might change the way it sits in the wall. I like the variety of bits used for other things, snowshoes for fanblades, unikitty tails for stonework, a big Bionicle fist for I don't know what yet.

Thrak360

Neo Member
I like those speed champions cars, they remind me of that cell shaded racing game from the PS2 from Capcom that wasn't very good.
Auto Modellista! I loved the look of the game, and boy, I really wanted to like it. But the car handling was not good.

Just bought the Italia GT car. Ugh not looking forward to the sticker application, because I always obsess about the placement. If it's not perfect...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Here, it looks alright but the printed roof made the car look off. Since it's a GT race car it does need stickers like the real thing.

Thank you!
It definitely doesn't look complete without the stickers. I was sort of hoping it would still look pretty good without them. Not because I don't like the decals all over or something (huge racing fan, so I'm fine with that kind of thing), just because I don't like stickers in general. Haha

Anyway, they do look pretty good, and I am admire them for trying to capture the curve of that Porsche Spyder. Now I can only dream about Creator versions of these supercars set in the scale and details of the MINI and VW.

I am so looking forward to the Creator Ferrari F40. I absolutely love the idea of the MINI and VW Bus sets and the way they're built, but I'm not a huge fan of either of the cars themselves.

I have four of the Speed Champion cars built without stickers. They don't look bad but not as good as they could.

I can post some pictures tonight if I remember.

Awesome! Thanks!

Bigfoot

Creator sets. They give you multiple builds to do, and a great assortment of pieces to use later. Not to mention they are usually some of the better priced sets as well. It is the most reliable "theme" in my opinion.

Creator Thunder Wings is a good set. My niece had fun with all three designs or you could go with Future flyers which is similar.

Thanks guys. I decided to go with the Medium Lego Creator Classic box (10696) since it has a nice variety of small simple builds and it comes in a Lego brick plastic container for storage. I also ordered a couple of Creator 3 in 1s... the Forest Animals (31019) and Vehicle Transporter (31033).

I think they will all fit in the container afterwards for a nice set to play with.

Experien

Know that LEGO Battle of Hoth board game?

0005767_lego_games_star_wars_the_battle_of_hoth_3866.jpeg

Apparently someone has made a website where two people can play it. Every game they randomize the layout and troops. Doesn't look good on Chrome browser but it is functional and I can even play it on my iPad!

BattleofHoth

KemoSabe

Are the Simpsons minifigs season 2 available for preorder anywhere in EU?
I will definitely buy a whole display box this time.
Too Bad i missed out on the first season...

Ponn

Banned
They still havent shipped my Snowspeeder, but you know my MF Snowspeeder would actually be more to scale with the AT-AT set. I'm really excited, going to be delivered friday so I know what i'm building this weekend. I really, REALLY hope those rumors of an Echo Base set are true.

They still havent shipped my Snowspeeder, but you know my MF Snowspeeder would actually be more to scale with the AT-AT set. I'm really excited, going to be delivered friday so I know what i'm building this weekend. I really, REALLY hope those rumors of an Echo Base set are true.

you know what's probably even MORE to scale? That planet series 3 speeder!! I happen to have it and will showcase it once i buy the AT-AT, i have a feeling that one will fit wonderfully with it!

The Doop

you know what's probably even MORE to scale? That planet series 3 speeder!! I happen to have it and will showcase it once i buy the AT-AT, i have a feeling that one will fit wonderfully with it!

That's what I use as well with a small clear windshield underneath to pose it off axis. Oh and I have a long Lego string piece (from Sopwith Camel) coming off the back and wrapped around the AT-ATs legs. :)

melike75

Neo Member
So I dont understand entirely what the toys to life type thing would work like with LEGO. Wouldn't it just be minifigures? And dont they do that with that free to play online game already except instead of scanning the toy in you essentially put in the code to unlock the character?
That said I'd probably still buy it..

Also just wondering what LEGO websites people read? I'd rather read than watch and it seems to be becoming harder to find good written material on LEGO online as everything seemingly is moving to youtube.
I've been reading a few blogs of late but was wondering if anyone has any sites to share? I'm leaning towards more reviews, essays and the like then posting of news, although I still enjoy brickset and the other major more news focused sites. Any suggestions?

I've been wanting to buy An Unexpected Gathering for the longest time and finally decided to get it. Now I find out it's discontinued and no one has it except eBay. :(

The airship MOC is starting to come together now. The bottom layer is complete, now I am working on the main deck. My feelings right now as it is all coming together:

tumblr_n577x63GNj1qcga5ro1_500.gif

So, I am deciding to add power functions to my airship. I have a large area on the main deck for the Captain's quarters, but thinking of just leaving it able to be modified and drop in a motor and battery box. The axle for the motor should come out the back and connect to a gear on the back that goes to the main mechanics in the underside.

So, what are the exact dimensions brick wise of the motor and battery box? And which motor should I get? I am probably going to do an order before double VIP is done and order the remote, IR receiver, remote, and battery box. I just want to know what kind of dimensions I need to accommodate for in the cabin of the ship.

EDIT: Also, how high from the bottom of the motor is the insertion point for the axle? Sorry for the technical questions, but I want to finish the MOC soon, but leave it future proof for when I do order the motor.

What would be really, really helpful is if someone could get some pics of the motor down on a plate and some 1x2 bricks stacked in front to show the exact height before the technic holes line up. Or just tell me how high from the base.

I believe he meant to check a physical TRU store, in case there's a location that happens to still have them lying around.

Well, on the website, if they had it listed, you can select pick up in store and see if any around you have it. If it's not showing up on the website itself, I doubt it's anywhere. Regardless, if I'm near my local TRU, I'll check it out.

neonglow

I've been wanting to buy An Unexpected Gathering for the longest time and finally decided to get it. Now I find out it's discontinued and no one has it except eBay. :(

Unless it's $150 set or higher, LEGO sets usually only stay on the shelf for about a year. That set came out in late 2012 and just got discountinued during Christmas this year. Looks like it's only a small markup right now so it's not too bad but expect to pay more than retail if you really want it.

Well, on the website, if they had it listed, you can select pick up in store and see if any around you have it. If it's not showing up on the website itself, I doubt it's anywhere. Regardless, if I'm near my local TRU, I'll check it out.

I feel like there was a case recently where this turned out not to be true for a discontinued item (some could be found on store shelves, but it disappeared from the website), but I cannot remember what it was.

Best of luck.

Okay, I found enough pics online to get the dimensions of the motor and the height. I was looking at the rechargeable battery pack, but it seems the plug for it is no longer made. What the hell? As little as I would use power functions, it might be best to just get the one that uses regular batteries.

ghostmind

Okay, I found enough pics online to get the dimensions of the motor and the height. I was looking at the rechargeable battery pack, but it seems the plug for it is no longer made. What the hell? As little as I would use power functions, it might be best to just get the one that uses regular batteries.

You mean this?

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Rechargeable-Battery-Box-8878?fromListing=listing

Oh I see what you mean now - that is ridiculous! I'm assuming that it is just a short-term thing and they'll have a replacement soon.

Unless it's $150 set or higher, LEGO sets usually only stay on the shelf for about a year. That set came out in late 2012 and just got discountinued during Christmas this year. Looks like it's only a small markup right now so it's not too bad but expect to pay more than retail if you really want it.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and see if I can find an unopened one off eBay for less than $100 with reasonable shipping.

Aaaaargh! I was going to sit down and build a new set that I've pieced together. I was missing some white L plates, no big deal, I had a few spares. Turns out I must have ordered 4 instead of 44, because they are required all over now.

So now this pile of bags must sit on my desk for another week or so while I pick up the rest.

Ponn

Banned
So they still haven't shipped my Snowspeeder yet. I'm thinking not being Prime and it wasn't in stock for a bit I might have been lowered to the bottom of the shipping pole.

Anyway i've been strongly considering just cancelling it and the Tie Advanced and going for the Imperial Star Destroyer instead. it's still on sale for $112 and thats a better savings than the other two. Also I think its an older set than the other two so it might go OOP quicker. is it a great set and worth doing that?

ghostmind

So they still haven't shipped my Snowspeeder yet. I'm thinking not being Prime and it wasn't in stock for a bit I might have been lowered to the bottom of the shipping pole.

Anyway i've been strongly considering just cancelling it and the Tie Advanced and going for the Imperial Star Destroyer instead. it's still on sale for $112 and thats a better savings than the other two. Also I think its an older set than the other two so it might go OOP quicker. is it a great set and worth doing that?

The Star Destroyer is older than the TIE Advanced, but the same age as the Snowspeeder.

You can't go wrong either way - the Star Destroyer is a great set.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
from /r/LEGO

fEjuBba.jpg

SPOILERS
He's not going to stay, despite the bribe :p

Too bad they didn't accidentally post a stock picture of the UCS Falcon.

And speaking of which, I have a question for you collectors. I am going to be selling my UCS Falcon soon, and when I am figuring out how much to sell it for I am curious if a defect with the set will lower or raise the price I could ask.

One of the pages in the instruction book is missing, instead there are two identical pages in a row (so at least I know it wasn't damaged, it was a legitimate misprint). Would this get me more, or less, or probably not matter? I've looked and have been unable to find this mentioned elsewhere online.

Ponn

Banned
The Star Destroyer is older than the TIE Advanced, but the same age as the Snowspeeder.

You can't go wrong either way - the Star Destroyer is a great set.

Welp, almost like fate trying to tell me something they just marked the ISD down to $110. Also if anyone is interested they have the AT-AT at $90 again too.

Could you post a picture of the mod you made? I have to order a couple of missing pieces off bricklink, and I might as well order the parts for the mod.
Thanks for being patient. I was finally able to take some pictures of my 10030 ISD and the mods I did to beef up the inner frame.

The first couple of pictures are for GAFer's enjoyment and to show how it compares to the Best Star. The last three pictures were taken in the order of front to back. Sorry, I was too lazy to take off all four panels to display the framework better.

As you can see, I created several big brackets using four 1x4's, four 1x2 technics (one hole and two holes) and four technic pins. I also placed a bunch of 2x10, 2x6, etc plates on the top and bottom of the main spine of the frame. All these extra pieces help keep the main spine (for lack of a better word) from sagging/bending. Since I used whatever color pieces I had laying around, it's not pretty, but it does the trick. It's inside anyway, so you can't see it when the panels are in place. I've had it displayed for about three years now and there is no sagging whatsoever. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

IMG_7743_zpslm906poz.jpg

IMG_7744_zpsnupkewvw.jpg

IMG_7749_zpsvfyu9iut.jpg

IMG_7750_zpshxzgitst.jpg

IMG_7751_zpsy2hojssc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom