• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Anyone own the UCS Imperial Shuttle? Every time I see it I realize it is one of the best looking UCS sets. Beautiful ship and it looks massive.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I am getting angry over the fact that they didn't bother covering those studs :(

Ah well, at least the Slave I look is great.

Caladrius

I am getting angry over the fact that they didn't bother covering those studs :(

The plated look is nice, but it drives up the cost significantly, hence why Lego hardly ever does it.

I wonder how much the Helicarrier would have cost without the Marvel Tax.

Jimbro72

Anyone own the UCS Imperial Shuttle? Every time I see it I realize it is one of the best looking UCS sets. Beautiful ship and it looks massive.

I think that set would be in my top 3-4 best looking sets, too, especially when displayed on the stand with its wings folded down. Sadly, I don't have the room to display mine like that currently.

Oh god that star destroyer is amazing

It really is one of the most impressive looking SW sets out there.

The UCS ISD is definitely one of my favorite UCS sets. It's massive and I still stare at it in awe even after having it displayed all these years. The UCS SSD is nice but in my opinion, the ISD blows the SSD out of the water for its sheer presence.

I do, but sadly, I have yet to build it. It's in my backlog. The imperial shuttle is one of my favorite ships, so I have a feeling it will give the ISD a run for its money when I finish building it.

I actually don't mind the studs. I think it looks fine in this set.

Thanks for being patient. I was finally able to take some pictures of my 10030 ISD and the mods I did to beef up the inner frame.

The first couple of pictures are for GAFer's enjoyment and to show how it compares to the Best Star. The last three pictures were taken in the order of front to back. Sorry, I was too lazy to take off all four panels to display the framework better.

As you can see, I created several big brackets using four 1x4's, four 1x2 technics (one hole and two holes) and four technic pins. I also placed a bunch of 2x10, 2x6, etc plates on the top and bottom of the main spine of the frame. All these extra pieces help keep the main spine (for lack of a better word) from sagging/bending. Since I used whatever color pieces I had laying around, it's not pretty, but it does the trick. It's inside anyway, so you can't see it when the panels are in place. I've had it displayed for about three years now and there is no sagging whatsoever. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

IMG_7743_zpslm906poz.jpg

IMG_7744_zpsnupkewvw.jpg

IMG_7749_zpsvfyu9iut.jpg

IMG_7750_zpshxzgitst.jpg

IMG_7751_zpsy2hojssc.jpg

Thank you for the pictures! I will be sure to pick up similar parts the next time I order something off bricklink.

3N16MA

Banned
I think that set would be in my top 3-4 best looking sets, too, especially when displayed on the stand with its wings folded down. Sadly, I don't have the room to display mine like that currently.

I do, but sadly, I have yet to build it. It's in my backlog. The imperial shuttle is one of my favorite ships, so I have a feeling it will give the ISD a run for its money when I finish building it.

The Imperial Shuttle was my first ever UCS, and still one of muly favorites. It looks so amazing when done, and is giant. I need to rebuild mine since the move.

It might not be the UCS but I'm excited for the 2015 Imperial Shuttle Tydirium.

Pet Shop seems to be fluctuating between shipping in 30 days and an early April ship date.

My turn to the dark side of Lego is complete

Hopefully my membership grants me access to Taco Tuesday.

I've been turned long ago but.... i also bought that exact set yesterday :) Can't wait to build it now! Hopefully it's possible to do some crazy angles on the legs as well as the cabin!!

That would probably indicate that they're reallocating what little stock they have left. Hurry!
When I went to LEGO store few days ago they said it is definitely going OOP. A guy also said all the set that are currently on sale are also being phased out soon. He said there are just so many set release and LEGO is accelerating the process.

cassidyarch

Neo Member
My LEGO store has the Slave I model on display right next to the SHIELD Helicarrier in the glass cases. They are not doing the Helicarrier any favors. Seeing them side by side really hurts the Helicarrier--especially considering the Helicarrier is 1.5 times as much.

My first time seeing them both in person. I can't believe how big the Slave I is, and how small the Helicarrier is.

They had a good stack of Helicarriers in stock. No Slave I's in stock until April. Whenever they get them in, they sell out within the day.

I like both sets, don't get me wrong, but they should display that Helicarrier on the other side of the store.

My LEGO store has the Slave I model on display right next to the SHIELD Helicarrier in the glass cases. They are not doing the Helicarrier any favors. Seeing them side by side really hurts the Helicarrier--especially considering the Helicarrier is 1.5 times as much.

My first time seeing them both in person. I can't believe how big the Slave I is, and how small the Helicarrier is.

They had a good stack of Helicarriers in stock. No Slave I's in stock until April. Whenever they get them in, they sell out within the day.

I like both sets, don't get me wrong, but they should display that Helicarrier on the other side of the store.

I totally agree. I posted the same opinion a couple of weeks ago after I saw the helicarrier for the first time. It was always on my buy list after the initial pictures and designer video, but now I'm not so sure. The Slave I and Tumbler blew me away when I first saw them. The helicarrier, not so much.

My turn to the dark side of Lego is complete

Hopefully my membership grants me access to Taco Tuesday.

Congrats!!! As long as you don't like the new Star Wars movies, you'll be fine. Bwahahahahaha!

I don't know how anyone that likes Star Wars and LEGO would not ever get the AT-AT and the Star Destroyer.

Ponn

Banned
Ill never join you!! I mean come on, you are willing to drop 2k on a set, yea I can't go that far. I'm like Dark Side Lite or something.

Congrats!!! As long as you don't like the new Star Wars movies, you'll be fine. Bwahahahahaha!

I don't know how anyone that likes Star Wars and LEGO would not ever get the AT-AT and the Star Destroyer.

Yea I think I can control my OCD impulses on set collecting in check with Star Wars. I really just want the iconic ships like the AT-AT, ISD, X-wing, Tie and if the new movie Millenium Falcon is good probably that. Slave 1 might be on my radar and also Echo Base if that comes to fruitation.

All this Helicarrier bad mouthing is killing, I haven't got my back pay check but now i'm wondering if i should hold off and hope for a Lego Store discount on it if its selling that badly.

Forgive the mess and crap picture. Finished the propellor system for my airship. Yes, every propellor will go when I turn the crank on the main body. Now to finish the deck and main cabin. Gotta leave room in the cabin to add power functions later and then make a command deck. Hopefully finish this beast by this weekend. I also need to weigh the ship, because I thinking I am over 10lbs on it right now, which means probably not building a display stand for it, but I shall see.

Ponn

Banned

Forgive the mess and crap picture. Finished the propellor system for my airship. Yes, every propellor will go when I turn the crank on the main body. Now to finish the deck and main cabin. Gotta leave room in the cabin to add power functions later and Ben make a command deck. Hopefully finish this beast by this weekend. I also need to weigh the ship, because I thinking I am over 10lbs on it right now, which means probably not building a display stand for it, but I shall see.

That is looking so awesome. It's actually making me not want to do a FF Airship because I highly doubt I can make it look that good. I hope you submit to Ideas when its finished.

That is looking so awesome. It's actually making me not want to do a FF Airship because I highly doubt I can make it look that good. I hope you submit to Ideas when its finished.
This thing will be too obscenely large for even being made if I post it. I am guessing in the multi thousands of pieces. Just the weight alone is making me terrified.

Stopping for a bit to clean up the work table. Probably won't post any more pics until it is all done. The hard part is done, which was the technic stuff. This is my first time playing with technic in a moc.

And make an FF airship. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say I would love to see it. I love seeing everyone's creations because you can learn stuff from them.

Forgive the mess and crap picture. Finished the propellor system for my airship. Yes, every propellor will go when I turn the crank on the main body. Now to finish the deck and main cabin. Gotta leave room in the cabin to add power functions later and Ben make a command deck. Hopefully finish this beast by this weekend. I also need to weigh the ship, because I thinking I am over 10lbs on it right now, which means probably not building a display stand for it, but I shall see.

Pretty sweet! Those ribbed flex tubing comes in handy. Ribbed for viewing pleasure. I just wish there was a cheap way to get lots of the regular smooth flexible tubing.

Ponn

Banned
And make an FF airship. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say I would love to see it. I love seeing everyone's creations because you can learn stuff from them.

Yea, thats one reason I got the Sea Cow. I was going to use it as a base to build the FFIX Tantalus's airship from the beginning of the game.

So I was bored and decided to start into my smaller sets backlog. I built the small Scuba Batman/Penguin set and wow this was a cool little set. Lots of cool different pieces, a very nice large printed Batman symbol piece and penguin builds. The only thing was the amount of translucent red studs that ended up mostly all being covered and not even seen. Makes me wonder if they make pieces in set large amounts then just throw them into random sets to get rid of them.

edit: How much longer do we think Hulk Lab Smash has? I've been putting it off getting distracted by other sets but I need it for the figs. Was that one of those ones on clearance at Target?

Finally cleared off the work desk and put the airship so far in one spot. I also decided to weigh it. Thus far: 10.6 pounds of LEGO goodness. The weight won't go up much more until the power functions show up.

EDIT: Obviously the back deck isn't done yet. The windows are there as a placeholder for the time being to give me some visual reference. But that will be the captain's quarters and also where I plan on housing the power functions later.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Absolutely incredible so far, PB.

edit: How much longer do we think Hulk Lab Smash has? I've been putting it off getting distracted by other sets but I need it for the figs. Was that one of those ones on clearance at Target?

I've been wondering the same thing. My local Walmart has a ton of them left in stock and I keep scanning them to see if they've marked them down yet, but they haven't.
It's kind of weird. For how much I don't care for that set, I REALLY want to get it on clearance. It'd be a great setpiece for posing minifigures.

Zerojul

Finally cleared off the work desk and put the airship so far in one spot. I also decided to weigh it. Thus far: 10.6 pounds of LEGO goodness. The weight won't go up much more until the power functions show up.

EDIT: Obviously the back deck isn't done yet. The windows are there as a placeholder for the time being to give me some visual reference. But that will be the captain's quarters and also where I plan on housing the power functions later.
Absolutely smashing.

Absolutely incredible so far, PB.

I've been wondering the same thing. My local Walmart has a ton of them left in stock and I keep scanning them to see if they've marked them down yet, but they haven't.
It's kind of weird. For how much I don't care for that set, I REALLY want to get it on clearance. It'd be a great setpiece for posing minifigures.

I think Meijer has had that on sale for 25% off the last few weeks.

3N16MA

Banned

It's a beast! Have you been planning this for awhile or is it something you just thought of recently? Looks like a lot of thought went into it.

ghostmind

Phon, your airship is impressive...

hFSl8RT.gif

Most impressive.

Seriously those propeller turbines are a beast! Looking forward to seeing it in motion when the PF are installed.

DJ_Lae

That airship looks awesome!

My daughter put together her fifth birthday present the other day - though I confess I've been interested in it since it was originally announced and Costco carried it cheap before Christmas. Was tough letting it sit hidden in the closet until now.

Other than a few pieces on the top part (I think some beams were warped, as they didn't fit together well, which is very un-Lego-like) she did it all herself.

yw4EwS6.jpg

mwOqtkV.jpg

Took her a few hours in total, I think.

My daughter put together her fifth birthday present the other day - though I confess I've been interested in it since it was originally announced and Costco carried it cheap before Christmas. Was tough letting it sit hidden in the closet until now.

Other than a few pieces on the top part (I think some beams were warped, as they didn't fit together well, which is very un-Lego-like) she did it all herself.

yw4EwS6.jpg

mwOqtkV.jpg

Yay! More Dolphin Cruiser love! Such a great set.

And now I am having an issue with the gear system in my airship. For some reason the front turbine clicks and won't rotate. It isn't with the turbine itself but how the gears make contact on the underside. I tested both turbines on the back gear and it works fine, but both turbines click or don't spin all the time on the front gear for some reason. The assembly is identical for both front and back too, which is odd. The only thing I can think of is the support beams holding the gear boxes on the main hull are at different parts of the gear box. Maybe adding another so the front is more stable will do it? It is just weird, like there is one small thing mucking up the works.

Awesome. LEGO customer service has been extremely good the couple of times I called to complain about missing parts or bad parts (warped/deformed). They will ship out new parts to you for free. They ask for a number on the back of the manuals. They also ask for number on the seals on the box, but that is only extra information they like to have to see which batch had issues and isn't needed. I've only done this twice, but I'm sure they'll flag a person if someone appears to be abusing it.

Man I wish I could do a giant project like that but it would cost an obscene amount of money to bricklink all the parts and I don't have enough spare Lego parts all in one color.

shiba5

It's a big ship and looks great. Go for it if you can find one!
I just took it apart a couple weeks ago or I would take a scale picture for you. It's too big for me to keep out.

So if the UCS shuttle is too big to be kept out, will you have to take this one apart, too, or does this one get to be kept out and displayed, as it should?

One problem with the UCS shuttle is how tall it is if you put it on the display stand. And if the wings are down the thing takes up about the same footprint as a 48x48 plate or so. It might be wider than that actually. It is a bit difficult to find adequate space for it.

Ku5UTpQl.jpg

A pic I took in 2013 showing the relative sizes of the UCS stuff. The Imperial Shuttle is an absolute monster.

I think the UCS Falcon is the largest footprint though. Isn't it like 3x3 feet or something?

shiba5

So if the UCS shuttle is too big to be kept out, will you have to take this one apart, too, or does this one get to be kept out and displayed, as it should?

Unfortunately, it will probably have to get taken apart again. I don't really have a good display solution. It won't fit on a shelf and that is a large table it is sitting on. I don't have room for a table that big just for the Falcon.

Jimbro72

One problem with the UCS shuttle is how tall it is if you put it on the display stand. And if the wings are down the thing takes up about the same footprint as a 48x48 plate or so. It might be wider than that actually. It is a bit difficult to find adequate space for it.

Ku5UTpQl.jpg

A pic I took in 2013 showing the relative sizes of the UCS stuff. The Imperial Shuttle is an absolute monster.

I think the UCS Falcon is the largest footprint though. Isn't it like 3x3 feet or something?

I agree, if you display the shuttle on it's stand with the wings down, that does take up a lot of space, especially since you have to factor in height, making it tougher to put on some shelves. But if you display it with wings up and just on it's landing gear, the footprint is much smaller. It's how I have to display mine currently. Granted, it's not nearly as impressive looking displayed that way. I wish I had more room to properly display that one as it really is eye catching with the wings down.

And I just took a quick measurement of the Falcon. It's just under 2 ft wide and just under 3 ft long. Actually, it looks like the ISD might be a little bit longer and just about as wide at the back end of it, so both those ships takes up a huge amount of display space.

And looking at your pic there makes me want to crack open my SSD now. I just haven't a clue where I'd put it at the moment once built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom