• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiba5

One problem with the UCS shuttle is how tall it is if you put it on the display stand. And if the wings are down the thing takes up about the same footprint as a 48x48 plate or so. It might be wider than that actually. It is a bit difficult to find adequate space for it.

Ku5UTpQl.jpg

A pic I took in 2013 showing the relative sizes of the UCS stuff. The Imperial Shuttle is an absolute monster.

I think the UCS Falcon is the largest footprint though. Isn't it like 3x3 feet or something?

It's 2' x 2 1/2'

3N16MA

Banned
One problem with the UCS shuttle is how tall it is if you put it on the display stand. And if the wings are down the thing takes up about the same footprint as a 48x48 plate or so. It might be wider than that actually. It is a bit difficult to find adequate space for it.

Ku5UTpQl.jpg

A pic I took in 2013 showing the relative sizes of the UCS stuff. The Imperial Shuttle is an absolute monster.

I think the UCS Falcon is the largest footprint though. Isn't it like 3x3 feet or something?

My eyes are immediately drawn to it even with the SSD on the same table. Such an awesome set.

kitzkozan

My turn to the dark side of Lego is complete

Hopefully my membership grants me access to Taco Tuesday.

Soon I'll join the ranks as I have my eyes on this set as well. :D So far, I bought and A-wing and a Snowspeeder so I need the AT-AT to go with it. The rumored Hoth base would be fantastic to make a nice Empire strike back diorama (also have the Hoth Solo minifig).

I'm also tempted by the upcoming imperial shuttle and the final duel sets. :) It just suck that I missed out on the X and Y-wing. XD I know there's a new X-wing coming, but it's going to be based on episode VII so we will see how it turn out.

I just came back from a Lego meeting. We went to the guy who made the huge Optimus Prime, and let me tell you - it's even bigger in person!

The guy also has the MF, the X-Wing, the ISD, the Tumbler and overall stuff all over the apartment.

People had brought various MOC:s that we had a look at. Tons of Lego discussions, some trading and a trip to the local stores. Managed to find some good deals, like the Desert Skiff for about $25 and the Creator Tree House for the same price, plus baseplates at 33% off.

We're all part of the national LUG, but we're talking about setting up a local (meaning within 250 km) subgroup. It's always inspiring to geek out for a day.

Nitemare1

I just came back from a Lego meeting. We went to the guy who made the huge Optimus Prime, and let me tell you - it's even bigger in person!

The guy also has the MF, the X-Wing, the ISD, the Tumbler and overall stuff all over the apartment.

People had brought various MOC:s that we had a look at. Tons of Lego discussions, some trading and a trip to the local stores. Managed to find some good deals, like the Desert Skiff for about $25 and the Creator Tree House for the same price, plus baseplates at 33% off.

We're all part of the national LUG, but we're talking about setting up a local (meaning within 250 km) subgroup. It's always inspiring to geek out for a day.

Living in Northern Canada and being pretty sure I'm the only AFOL within 1000km this makes me very envious! Very cool stuff!

Ku5UTpQl.jpg

R2-D2 looks tiny relative to the other UCS sets. I must get Red 5 X-Wing before it's gone. That will be my first UCS Star Wars set.

The only UCS Star Wars ship I have that is build. B-Wing is in the backlog along with R2D2. Thinking about doing the Sandcrawler next but some of the set have to come down to make room. I think I need bigger room and more shelving.

Hey GAFer's, I know this sounds crazy, but after finishing the Best Star and having it displayed for a couple of weeks, I think I want to sell it. It's a nice set but it confirmed that I'm more interested in UCS ships and vehicles.

I'm asking $225. Only built once and it comes with the box and instruction manual. All in good condition. There were three pieces missing which I substituted: one dark grey 2x2 corner brick (substituted with light grey) and two light grey 4x4 without corner plate (substituted with two dark grey). I was surprised I didn't have those pieces in the right color in my loose pieces.

I live in the Montclair area of Oakland, CA and work in downtown San Francisco. I figured I'd post it here before putting it on eBay. Let me know if you're interested.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

More stickers than the Cargo Ship?

Hey GAFer's, I know this sounds crazy, but after finishing the Best Star and having it displayed for a couple of weeks, I think I want to sell it. It's a nice set but it confirmed that I'm more interested in UCS ships and vehicles.

I'm asking $225. Only built once and it comes with the box and instruction manual. All in good condition. There were three pieces missing which I substituted: one dark grey 2x2 corner brick (substituted with light grey) and two light grey 4x4 without corner plate (substituted with two dark grey). I was surprised I didn't have those pieces in the right color in my loose pieces.

I live in the Montclair area of Oakland, CA and work in downtown San Francisco. I figured I'd post it here before putting it on eBay. Let me know if you're interested.

If you're able to, I would hold onto it for a year or two. Once it's out of print I will probably go up in value fast like other Star Wars sets.

neonglow

I'm interested and live in the Bay Area.

Grabbed Fairground Mixer, Power Functions box, all series 4 Mixels, one large PAB cup, Valentine's, and Easter sets.

And I agree with the others, the Helicarrier looks disappointing in person.

Bigfoot

How are Mixels? I saw them the other day in a store and they looked interesting. Almost bought all 3 of the blue guys from series 4.

Ryuuroden

I agree, if you display the shuttle on it's stand with the wings down, that does take up a lot of space, especially since you have to factor in height, making it tougher to put on some shelves. But if you display it with wings up and just on it's landing gear, the footprint is much smaller. It's how I have to display mine currently. Granted, it's not nearly as impressive looking displayed that way. I wish I had more room to properly display that one as it really is eye catching with the wings down.

And I just took a quick measurement of the Falcon. It's just under 2 ft wide and just under 3 ft long. Actually, it looks like the ISD might be a little bit longer and just about as wide at the back end of it, so both those ships takes up a huge amount of display space.

And looking at your pic there makes me want to crack open my SSD now. I just haven't a clue where I'd put it at the moment once built.

The shuttle fits great on a Ikea Vittsjo shelving unit.

16356030490_548b2e1a48_z.jpg

Kakusaizou

Neo Member
Ok so heres a question for all you Red Five owners.
What did you do with those terrible cockpit stickers. What a horrible way to do that.
Im thinking Im going to take an exacto knife and completely cut out the transparent part of the stickers just leaving the border sections.
At least there is two sets in the box so you can learn from your mistakes :(

A sharp blade will do nicely, and I mean sharp, otherwise you'll just tear while cutting.

VGhXU9d.jpg

zl5B3i3.jpg

DJ_Lae

Yay! More Dolphin Cruiser love! Such a great set.

It's a really cool set - was tough restraining myself while watching her build (maybe I can just take it apart and build it again when she's sleeping sometime).

Awesome. LEGO customer service has been extremely good the couple of times I called to complain about missing parts or bad parts (warped/deformed). They will ship out new parts to you for free. They ask for a number on the back of the manuals. They also ask for number on the seals on the box, but that is only extra information they like to have to see which batch had issues and isn't needed. I've only done this twice, but I'm sure they'll flag a person if someone appears to be abusing it.

Thanks, I'll have to try as it seems to be pretty rare to come across a warped Lego piece. It just didn't seat properly, which had me going around to make sure my daughter had pushed everything as tight as it would go (as with tiny fingers that's her biggest hurdle). She had...it was just the piece being weird.

I'd expect that from a Megabloks set, not Lego, but I'll try customer service and see if they can help.

wetwired

already posted!

But it was a great video, I feel like they gave us a lot more insight into the process this time.

not sure how I missed that.

Put together the hulkbuster yesterday and picked up quinjet today

hulkbuster is great, since the lex power armour is out of production now it's the go-to entry level recommendation set for people in my books

Ponn

Banned
Soon I'll join the ranks as I have my eyes on this set as well. :D So far, I bought and A-wing and a Snowspeeder so I need the AT-AT to go with it. The rumored Hoth base would be fantastic to make a nice Empire strike back diorama (also have the Hoth Solo minifig).

I'm also tempted by the upcoming imperial shuttle and the final duel sets. :) It just suck that I missed out on the X and Y-wing. XD I know there's a new X-wing coming, but it's going to be based on episode VII so we will see how it turn out.

*Dark Side High Five*

Pretty much my lineup too, just limiting myself to ships. I think Lego GAF has talked me into the Red Five X-Wing though. I am a little scared of the horror stories of this infamous cockpit sticker though. I'm also going to get that Imperial Shuttle set, I missed the UCS but that looks pretty good. I'm thinking of getting the MF Millenium Falcon set to have a classic Han Solo fig though because all my potential pick ups won't have him.

I'm thinking of getting the Infearno Interception set for those parts and the Infearno fig. I can't help but see a custom Ghost Rider fig with that flaming head piece and the Karai motorcycle.

I built the Brainiac set today. Was a pretty good set with good figs. It actually looks cool sitting around my White House set. I modded the side gun on the ship though because it kept falling off. I really hate the stupid loose builds they are building into these sets to accomadate the stupid super jumper thing.

Just hooked up the power functions to the airship.
I posted this gif before, and it is even more appropriate now.
tumblr_n577x63GNj1qcga5ro1_500.gif

I still need to build the cabin to house it, but seeing it all roar to life has been extremely satisfying.
Edit: wish the motor had variable speeds.

ghostmind

Just hooked up the power functions to the airship.
I posted this gif before, and it is even more appropriate now.
tumblr_n577x63GNj1qcga5ro1_500.gif

I still need to build the cabin to house it, but seeing it all roar to life has been extremely satisfying.
Edit: wish the motor had variable speeds.

Can't you use the remote to control the speed if you hook up an IR receiver?

To those that have modulars built:

Ever get that issue where somehow the base plate(s) become bent upwards on the sides/edges as you build? If so, what do you do about that?

It's pretty annoying, i had this effect with Pet Shop i believe and now while building Fire Brigade, i can already tell it's gonna be the same. :( Am i doing something wrong?

leng jai

Ever get that issue where somehow the base plate(s) become bent upwards on the sides/edges as you build? If so, what do you do about that?

It's pretty annoying, i had this effect with Pet Shop i believe and now while building Fire Brigade, i can already tell it's gonna be the same. :( Am i doing something wrong?

This has happened with all 5 of my modulars. I just use blu tac to make them stick to the table.

Hmm, out of all the minecraft sets which would you recommend getting as a standalone?

Also how is the new AT-AT set? I see that it is sale on amazon for 20 bucks.

Only happened with Grand Emporium for me. I think it's because baseplates aren't really made to have tiles all over them, so the tiny imperfections in length means that the tiles will curl the baseplate slightly.

wetwired

I picked up the quinjet today, I didn't get the first one and only got this for the minifigs, quite a fun build with some cool play features. My kids commandeered it and had fun with it for a while.

With the quinjet and the hulkbuster I updated the avengers frame

Avengers Updated by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Still not sure whether to bother upgrading to the new Thor and Hawkguy. I upgraded my Captain America but kept his old shield which is a nicer dark red whereas the new one is plain red.

kitzkozan

not sure how I missed that.

Put together the hulkbuster yesterday and picked up quinjet today

hulkbuster is great, since the lex power armour is out of production now it's the go-to entry level recommendation set for people in my books

It truly is the successor to the Lex power armor, possibly being better even if the value is relatively the same since you pay more to get more (Hulkbuster > power armor imo). I also saw someone on eurobrick who modded the Hulkbuster and made it even better. :) He used mixel parts for the wrists so they can twist. Also modded the waist and added blue lights to the knees for a better movie accurate look.

16191239544_27c2caefe1_b.jpg

I picked up the quinjet today, I didn't get the first one and only got this for the minifigs, quite a fun build with some cool play features. My kids commandeered it and had fun with it for a while.

Still not sure whether to bother upgrading to the new Thor and Hawkguy. I upgraded my Captain America but kept his old shield which is a nicer dark red whereas the new one is plain red.

Are Hulk's hands supposed to look like that?

Hmm, out of all the minecraft sets which would you recommend getting as a standalone?

Also how is the new AT-AT set? I see that it is sale on amazon for 20 bucks.

$20 for the new AT-AT? It can't be the same set, since the new AT-AT is normally $110 or so. If it is, then snag that fast.

Very cool. You did notice Hulk's hands are reversed right?
And glad you liked the build of Quinjet 2.0. I love how the bottom of it pops open to drop the bike out.

Avengers Tower MOD, By ReZourceman on Eurobricks:

xXkc8Ab.jpg
Awesome, but yet looks kind of plain at the same time.

I don't think it's necessary. It's always going to be a mix of different versions. As long as each unique super hero has a representing version it's good. I mean Iron Man has to have close to a dozen versions already.

Avengers Tower MOD, By ReZourceman on Eurobricks:

xXkc8Ab.jpg

How many sets is that combined? 4? More evidence that buying multiples of the same set is the solution for those that are disappointed in size for most sets (especially modulars).

vY0VeCQ.jpg

Yup, that's a minifig on Optimus' shoulder.

4lC7qfM.jpg

Also, my warrior found herself a sweet new ride.

Are those your builds? That's an impressive Optimus Prime. Can't wait to see the Metro Plex version. :)

shiba5

Here's Red 5 and Slave 1 alongside Betta Fett the Betta.

image.jpg1_2.jpg

Edit: The Betta's water is yellow on purpose. Just in case anyone was wondering. ;)
I also wish I'd seen the exacto knife fix on the awful cockpit sticker before it was put on.

Rootbeer

Banned
Red 5 keeps tempting me :)

I have the 9493 X-Wing though and really like it, despite its much smaller size. I hate being so indecisive! Owning the Red 5 would be nice, but I'm sure we have tons of new X-Wings coming, not just an Episode VII version but also probably several from Rogue One >.<

Meanwhile, check Target.com or your local Target stores, lots of LEGO sets on sale. Amazon.com is price matching some of them.

Titanium Dragon is one of them

Red 5 keeps tempting me :)

I have the 9493 X-Wing though and really like it, despite its much smaller size. I hate being so indecisive! Owning the Red 5 would be nice, but I'm sure we have tons of new X-Wings coming, not just an Episode VII version but also probably several from Rogue One >.<

Meanwhile, check Target.com or your local Target stores, lots of LEGO sets on sale. Amazon.com is price matching some of them.

Titanium Dragon is one of them

Sure, we may be getting more X-Wings in the future, but do we know if we will be getting another classic version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom