• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Playing around with bricklink I was able to source around 70% of the UCS Imperial Shuttle at a price per brick comparable to it's 2010 release here in Canada. I used only Canadian sellers to keep shipping down and to deal with Canadian currency for the most part. I also only searched for new pieces rather than used.

Every thing was going great until I started getting into some of the harder to find Technic pieces. The price started rising rapidly trying to find these pieces new. I would have to go back and find them used to get the cost down.

This included no minifigs, stickers, or manuals.

I might put more time into bricklinking a retired set down the road as this was just a quick search to see a rough estimate.

neonglow

I ended up buying a pack of the Sick Bricks. The brick quality is not very good. It feels brittle with an uneven clutch power. Each character is just a two 2x2 brick with 2 holes on the bottom brick to stick accessories in.

The game feels like any other F2P game with prompts every minute. It's mostly aimed at kids so I got bored after 15 minutes of play.

The brick scanning was finicky. You have to place the characters in a place with good lighting on top of a simple background like a white sheet of paper. The app messed up a couple times and gave me characters I didn't purchase.

Overall, I'd say this toy is a pass. If you do plan to try it yourself, Target is discounting them 10% this week. If you use the Target Cartwheel app, there's another 10% off toy coupon that you can stack. It cost me about $7 for 5 characters.

2l7WhEgl.jpg

24xfA7Al.jpg

Playing around with bricklink I was able to source around 70% of the UCS Imperial Shuttle at a price per brick comparable to it's 2010 release here in Canada. I used only Canadian sellers to keep shipping down and to deal with Canadian currency for the most part. I also only searched for new pieces rather than used.

Every thing was going great until I started getting into some of the harder to find Technic pieces. The price started rising rapidly trying to find these pieces new. I would have to go back and find them used to get the cost down.

I might put more time into bricklinking a retired set down the road as this was just a quick search to see a rough estimate.

You didn't buy anything?

It needs to be noted that 90% of pretty much any set is easy to get. It's the last 10% that costs money, sometimes a LOT of money. It's probably a good idea to scan your wanted list for parts with abnormally high prices and figure out if you can replace them, or if not, if you're prepared to pay that price.

Lasting Toys has this for ...maybe $450 new. I've thought about getting it a few times.

3N16MA

Banned
You didn't buy anything?

It needs to be noted that 90% of pretty much any set is easy to get. It's the last 10% that costs money, sometimes a LOT of money. It's probably a good idea to scan your wanted list for parts with abnormally high prices and figure out if you can replace them, or if not, if you're prepared to pay that price.

No, just did a quick search to see if it was even worth trying. If I actually went ahead with it I would put more time in sourcing the pieces.

Lasting Toys has this for ...maybe $450 new. I've thought about getting it a few times.

That is a good price considering the prices on ebay and bricklink for Canadian buyers.

Ponn

Banned
I got my Snowspeeder set today, along with MF Milennium Falcon. I'm feeling pretty good today and going to build something. Should I ease into Hoth by building the Snowspeeder first or should I just jump right into the AT-AT?

Also I see the Snowtrooper pack can still be gotten for a reasonable price on Amazon ($20). Is it worth it to get it if I want to make a Hoth scene?

You didn't buy anything?

With Imperial Shuttle, you might be able to get away with a lot of parts substitutions. Really, if the part isn't white or grey, you can substitute it with another color very easily. I am trying to think of which technic parts would be crazy expensive in it.

Worth it.

The original Lego Pirates, back in 1989, was the first theme I collected, and I managed to get all of the first wave. The flagship, in more ways than one, was the Black Seas Barracuda, and I was smart enough to store it properly once my Dark Ages started. Since I returned to Lego, I've had this awesome ship around. But now, with the arrival of the 2015 lineup of Pirates, I might not have to do that anymore. Not because the new ship, the Brick Bounty, is better in any way, because it's not. But with a bunch of new, great pieces available, as well as great minifigures, I was inspired to finally attempt a remake of one of my favourite sets ever.

yCgSB0Y.jpg

The basic idea was to keep the dimensions and all the major features of the original ship. I started from the newer hull pieces and built up from there. The deck now stretches from the front mast all the way to the rear since I don't need the cannons to be readily available. I did make the middle section removable, since these cannons tend to slide around a bit. Apart from that, there's not much below deck, since it's not possible to take the ship apart like the Imperial Flagship. I did add a hatch to get below deck in a similar place as the ones on the original.

The cabin on Black Seas Barracuda is rather unique in that it has two double doors. This was a bit of a waste of space, so I removed one. I considered using the originals but the newer big door looks better. Inside the cabin, there is a small desk with navigation tools, some paintings and a globe. Towards the rear is a bed for the captain. I added the narrow windows from Brick Bounty, but apart from that it has the same arrangement as the original. The rear wall also slopes outwards, and on the outside there are some details in gold.

Yeks3Dp.jpg

The gold, yes. The pearl gold colour didn't exist in Lego's inventory at the time, but it was always obvious that the yellow trim on the ship was supposed to be gold. So I picked up as many gold parts I could find, to be able to recreate all the trimmings and the figurehead. Now, there isn't a gold headwrap, but there wasn't on the original either. The ship is way too gaudy for a pirate ship anyway - I'm assuming that it was originally a rich trader before the pirates captured it.

I lifted the masts pretty much straight from Brick Bounty, but I substituted black ones instead. The sails end up a bit too small on this larger ship, but they will do for now. I'm considering experimenting with printing on canvas, so we'll see what happens.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this remake. The ship turned out looking like a slightly more expensive version of the original. I've learned a few things after building Imperial Flagship and I hope it shows.

gE3Ta9j.jpg

More pictures at the blog

Love the gold accents. That color does work very well on ships. The captain's cabin is also especially great.

The figurehead at the front of the ship still bothers me though. It always looks like they ripped some poor sailor in half and mounted him to the front of the ship.

And have you ever experimented with making custom sails? I have thought about going to the fabric store and getting some different styles of fabric and cutting out different sails to use later, and I wonder if anyone else has tried that.

Excellent work.

ghostmind

Nicely done with the BSB reborn!

That is the ship we should have gotten for the Pirates revival this year - it would have had everyone more excited to pick up this theme.

Bricklink loot that I picked up today: Most of it is for Orthanc exterior and some interior finishup work.

Also, I think I will pick up the UCS Sandcrawler today for my Birthday.

First off, happy birfday.

Second, what in the world are those giant green pieces with the recessed circle in them?

Ponn

Banned
Building AT-AT while watching Big Hero 6. For my first Star Wars set its pretty cool so far. Lots of technic skeletal building.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The original Lego Pirates, back in 1989, was the first theme I collected, and I managed to get all of the first wave. The flagship, in more ways than one, was the Black Seas Barracuda, and I was smart enough to store it properly once my Dark Ages started. Since I returned to Lego, I've had this awesome ship around. But now, with the arrival of the 2015 lineup of Pirates, I might not have to do that anymore. Not because the new ship, the Brick Bounty, is better in any way, because it's not. But with a bunch of new, great pieces available, as well as great minifigures, I was inspired to finally attempt a remake of one of my favourite sets ever.

That is fantastic. I don't have any nostalgia for the Pirates themes, but if that was a set I'd be all over it.

First off, happy birfday.

Second, what in the world are those giant green pieces with the recessed circle in them?

They're from these Lego Soccer sets.
I'm super curious to see how he's going to use them.

3N16MA

Banned
With Imperial Shuttle, you might be able to get away with a lot of parts substitutions. Really, if the part isn't white or grey, you can substitute it with another color very easily. I am trying to think of which technic parts would be crazy expensive in it.

They were not crazy expensive but more like $1.20 a piece or close to a dollar. This is after averaging around 10.5 cents per a piece before that.

The price definitely increased by limiting myself to new pieces and Canadian only sellers.

They were not crazy expensive but more like $1.20 a piece or close to a dollar. This is after averaging around 10.5 cents per a piece before that.

The price definitely increased by limiting myself to new pieces and Canadian only sellers.
Which parts? I can tell you if you can substitute.

3N16MA

Banned
Which parts? I can tell you if you can substitute.

For example: 3703 (Black)

Lowest price is .95 cents per brick in new condition and it is from the U.K. Lowest price for a Canadian seller is $1.41.

Same piece in white is $1.08 at the lowest price from Belgium.

32278 (White)

Lowest price in Canada is .75 cents

Again, I'm probably limiting myself by looking for new and mostly at Canadian sellers.

For example: 3703 (Black)

Lowest price is .95 cents per brick in new condition and it is from the U.K. Lowest price for a Canadian seller is $1.41.

Same piece in white is $1.08 at the lowest price from Belgium.

32278 (White)

Lowest price in Canada is .75 cents

Again, I'm probably limiting myself by looking for new and mostly at Canadian sellers.

Looking over the instructions some, you can easily substitute the 3703 with virtually any color. It is buried in the main body, and then the sides will get covered with some SNOT work fairly early into the build. You could even get away with using 2 1x8 bricks to replace each of those 1x16s. It will be supported in the main frame from the looks of it. Heck, you could almost use 1x4s for the connections where they are needed. That is a very easy substitution.

The bad news is that the 32278 cannot be color swapped unless you want sections of the wings to not match anything else on the ship, or color swap the entire ship. There are tons of that piece in the build, and they are integral for the wings to be constructed and are visible from both sides.

The part I was expecting to be expensive is 30249. That part only shows up in 6 sets, and the last one that came out was the UCS Imperial Shuttle.

3N16MA

Banned
Looking over the instructions some, you can easily substitute the 3703 with virtually any color. It is buried in the main body, and then the sides will get covered with some SNOT work fairly early into the build. You could even get away with using 2 1x8 bricks to replace each of those 1x16s. It will be supported in the main frame from the looks of it. Heck, you could almost use 1x4s for the connections where they are needed. That is a very easy substitution.

The bad news is that the 32278 cannot be color swapped unless you want sections of the wings to not match anything else on the ship, or color swap the entire ship. There are tons of that piece in the build, and they are integral for the wings to be constructed and are visible from both sides.

The part I was expecting to be expensive is 30249. That part only shows up in 6 sets, and the last one that came out was the UCS Imperial Shuttle.

If I ever decide to do it I would only use new pieces for the exterior as I would not want scuffed up bricks ruining the look. I could get away with used pieces that get buried in the build.

If I ever decide to do it I would only use new pieces for the exterior as I would not want scuffed up bricks ruining the look. I could get away with used pieces that get buried in the build.

Understandable, but those white 1x16 bricks can be any color, so I would say just get whatever color is cheapest.

Bigfoot

I'm so giddy about that Deadpool picture today. When that movie comes out i'm positive that Deadpool fig value is going to skyrocket even more.
I'm expecting the opposite. When the movie comes out, LEGO will probably release a couple of sets with a new Deadpool minifig and the value will probably come down.

Just finished the Fairground Mixer. Fantastic set. The side attractions are fun little builds, but the star is obviously the mixer itself. It is definitely unique, and so much fun when finished. And power functions really do make it better.

Just finished the Fairground Mixer. Fantastic set. The side attractions are fun little builds, but the star is obviously the mixer itself. It is definitely unique, and so much fun when finished. And power functions really do make it better.

Glad to see you put different minifigs on the mixer. I put the Guardians of the Galaxy on mine.

Ponn

Banned
Commencing extermination of the rebel scum.

pretty big set but i'm amazed how sturdy it stands. There is some fragile parts on it and you have to be careful where you grab and hold it. I don't see this being a playset for a kid at all. I think maybe Lego knew that and all the pieces go right into the AT-AT.

The head was definitely the trickiest part to put together. I'm still not sure if i got it completely right because I kept trying to snap that bottom peg in and either the other side would pop out or the other cross axel peg would pop out or both. I do appreciate all the new technic building techniques I picked up though. The actual building of the neck assembly and the skeleton frame was amazing seeing it all come together.

"Ok honey, now remember when you are shooting the rebels to watch out for their cable thingies"

"Gee Whiz mom I know already, stop bugging me"

Now that I'm planning a bigger street display I kind of want it... but I'm waiting for the ferris wheel (right?) instead. Should take up a smaller footprint. Also, it wastes tons of parts for the trucks, which are useless in the kind of display I'd want.

Now that I'm planning a bigger street display I kind of want it... but I'm waiting for the ferris wheel (right?) instead. Should take up a smaller footprint. Also, it wastes tons of parts for the trucks, which are useless in the kind of display I'd want.

The funny thing is that now that I finished building it, I already want to take it apart and pillage it for parts. As I built it, all I could think about was how helpful this thing would have been as I worked on the airship because of the bulk of some parts.

It did also teach me some new things for doing gear work in MOCs later. This set won't stay together for very long though.

It did inspire me for a new idea down the line. The ticket booth of all things made me think of doing a funhouse of horrors. A benign outside, but horror filled inside.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, how big are the modular set boxes compared to say... mini cooper and camper van boxes? Are they as big as the Simpsons House box?

"My Own Creation". One of many silly acronyms you'll eventually get used to.

Phon, that airship is amazing! Great work. Can you control the speed of the props?
Already answered, but here's a LEGO Glossary that explains some of the other unusual terms:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/lego-glossary/

Thanks!

I'm expecting the opposite. When the movie comes out, LEGO will probably release a couple of sets with a new Deadpool minifig and the value will probably come down.
It will be an absolute miracle is that happens. If even ONE set comes out, I'll be flabbergasted. Not only will it be a very violent, possibly R-rated film, but Marvel would have to OK the set and let's not forget how furious they are with FOX right now. There were rumblings a while ago that after the Fantastic Four fiasco, the only reason that the X-Men Sentinel set even got released was because it was designed and signed off on before all the shit went down so it was too late to stop it. I seriously, seriously doubt there will even be Fantastic Four Lego setS, let alone a single set, never mind a Deadpool movie tie-in set.

Look at it this way: Lego doesn't even want to do a Moe's Tavern Simpsons set because of the alcohol connection.

Besides! Newer versions of Wolverine, etc didn't hurt the prices of older variants.

3N16MA

Banned
Weird how TLG is opposed to doing a set based on a R rated film but will use a character (Deadpool) in another set. It's not like he is family friendly in comics.

I know we have joked occasionally about "LEGO Back" on here. The lower back pain that comes from sitting on the couch and leaning over to build for hours on end. Well, this past week or so I think I have developed "LEGO Neck." Having my head tilted down and looking down at the table for hours on end each night, and it is still sore. I thought I slept a bit funny at first, but after the last few days of finishing the MOC and now building Fairground Mixer, I think having my head tilted down and looking at the table and building for so long has made it sore. Ugh.

I've actually never heard these jokes, but glad to see some other people are having the same problems lol. Wait that came out wrong...

Anyway, i should really do some more workouts for my back so i won't get that pesky pain anymore :(

Weird how TLG is opposed to doing a set based on a R rated film but will use a character (Deadpool) in another set. It's not like he is family friendly in comics.

Same with TaskMaster in the Hulk Lab Smash set. Another, uh, risque character to include as a MiniFig, especially given his history with Deadpool. I wish they had used his look from the Deadpool comics (the run before Cable & Deadpool) though, I LOVE that version.

TASKM.jpg

Such a sick mask.

Same with TaskMaster in the Hulk Lab Smash set. Another, uh, risque character to include as a MiniFig, especially given his history with Deadpool. I wish they had used his look from the Deadpool comics (the run before Cable & Deadpool) though, I LOVE that version.

TASKM.jpg

Such a sick mask.
While that is a cool look, I am far too partial to the classic look that LEGO went with. That set was a wet dream for random Marvel figures.

While that is a cool look, I am far too partial to the classic look that LEGO went with. That set was a wet dream for random Marvel figures.

It may just be because that was the look I was introduced to. When I was looking for that picture I noticed that ...maybe all? of his other appearances seem to have him with the actual skull head/face. I... don't know if I've ever read another comic with him in it beyond the Deadpool one? Huh.

But yeah that set is insane. I wonder who was responsible for those character choices? Is that something the set builder/designer gets to choose, or is someone else in charge of what characters go in a set?

Nitemare1

Finally said the hell with it and ordered the quinjet. It's always one of those sets I was on the fence over. I went back and forth on the old one and passed and really regret it, so I pulled the trigger on the new one.
Convince me I've done the right thing LEGOgaf. You're my only hope!

Nitemare1

Went into Walmart this afternoon to pick up some coffee creamer and ending up leaving with a 50$ CAD clearance Mos Eisley Cantina. Considered getting multiples but they only had one left. They had a couple big Chima sets for 50$ too. I guess it never hurts to check the clearance section.

I'm looking into bricklinking green grocer, but I'm thinking of modifying the color scheme to save money by avoiding the sand-green bricks.... Anyone seen any pleasing color modifications of this set? If those bricks are that pricey now, I shudder to think how expensive they were before haunted house happened.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Sorting minifigs- dissassembled heads/torsos etc or just keeping the figs whole?

Ive been the former method my whole AFOL life, but now with licensed figs, the collectable waves and less room the latter might be better. I have a container full of just Lego heads- pretty sure there's a better way for mf storage.

I'm looking into bricklinking green grocer, but I'm thinking of modifying the color scheme to save money by avoiding the sand-green bricks.... Anyone seen any pleasing color modifications of this set? If those bricks are that pricey now, I shudder to think how expensive they were before haunted house happened.

Those 1x8 bricks tend to be expensive no matter the colour. You can try going with 1x4s or a combination of 1x2 and 1x6s. Also, there's a healthy number of sand green around thanks to Lonely Mountain.

Actually, if you're having problems sourcing sand green, many of the parts (except the grooved 1x2 and the 1x8) are available through Pick A Brick online. They get a bit costly, but might be better than Bricklink prices due to the fact that Lego doesn't hype specific colours for attractive builds.

Also, for Green Grocer, look around for slightly newer alternatives for the door frames and the 1x2x3 windows. There's really no need to pay the prices for the original variation when there are new parts around which do the same job.

Those 1x8 bricks tend to be expensive no matter the colour. You can try going with 1x4s or a combination of 1x2 and 1x6s. Also, there's a healthy number of sand green around thanks to Lonely Mountain.

Actually, if you're having problems sourcing sand green, many of the parts (except the grooved 1x2 and the 1x8) are available through Pick A Brick online. They get a bit costly, but might be better than Bricklink prices due to the fact that Lego doesn't hype specific colours for attractive builds.

Also, for Green Grocer, look around for slightly newer alternatives for the door frames and the 1x2x3 windows. There's really no need to pay the prices for the original variation when there are new parts around which do the same job.

The grooved 1x2 and the 1x8 are the problem, definitely.

You're right about the smaller bricks- 1x2s, 1x4s, and 1x6s are all reasonably priced in the proper color, though 1x8s seem pretty affordable in lots of other colors. They're in line with the prices of the other bricks rather than the 4 dollars a pop of the sand-green 1x8s. If I took this route, I suppose I'd browse through the green grocer instructions to see what blend of 2s and 6s would make for decently-stable walls.

Unfortunately, I couldn't decompose the equally-cost-intensive grooved 1x2s into other bricks, so I guess my options are switch to less-pretty groove-free ones, swap colors, pay out the nose, or wait and hope.

I went searching and found somebody on eurobricks who made a "Blue Grocer" with sand-blue in the place of sand-green, which was my first thought for an alternative as well, and I think it looks pretty good. Sand-blue 1x8s don't appear to exist, so I guess I'd have to do the same breakdown for those, but the grooved 1x2s are cheaper by a landslide.

And if I build a Blue Grocer, and later the properly-colored pieces become more affordable, then it'd be MOC-time!

Now the real question: has town hall reached the tipping point where bricklink will be worth it, or should I start budgeting to just buy one.....

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woo! Just got back from Target where I picked up the Hulkbuster set on sale. Very excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom