• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Now, it's popular to complain about Detective's Office, so I'd like to add something. It's rather unfair to compare sizes based on the top point, since any building with a tower instantly has more "value". DO is basically flat, it doesn't even have a chimney. Now, if you instead compare the height of the roof layer of each building:

Café Corner: 35 cm (with tower) - roof at 26 cm
Market Street: 32 cm - roof at 28 cm
Green Grocer: 33 cm - roof at 30 cm
Fire Brigade: 38 cm (with tower) - roof at 24 cm
Grand Emporium: 30 cm (NOT including the billboard) - roof at 25 cm
Pet Shop: 28 cm - roof at 25 cm
Town Hall: 50 cm - roof at ~30 cm
Palace Cinema: 37 cm (with tower) - roof at 22 cm (tiny building)
Parisian Restaurant: 29 cm - roof at 26 cm
Detective's Office: 27 cm - roof at 25 cm

Or you can compare the weight, or the number of parts, or parts per price etc. It's all rather silly and says nothing about how great a set is.

Doesn't the town center still occupy the most "space" per square right? And I agree that DO is still well decorated.

ghostmind

OVX5irh.jpg

The VIP exclusive, starting May 13th, is 10247 Ferris Wheel.

ghostmind

The pack-in minifigure with LEGO Jurassic World is... Dr. Henry Wu.

AdP6FqU.jpg

Slim chance that North America would get a different minifig, but I would not hold my breath on that.

Doesn't the town center still occupy the most "space" per square right? And I agree that DO is still well decorated.

If you mean shelf space, they're all 32x32 studs (roughly over 25 cm squared). Town Hall has the biggest profile, yes, but it's also arguably the most boring one in terms of detail. (well, Market Street is weaker but it's also not designed by Lego)

2k3rFCg.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Getting a Dino was always a pipe dream :( Would have been cool though.

I'm not sure if this minifig is worth me pre-ordering this one, will await gameplay previews I guess

So what are some really good Star Wars sets to go after(mainly been buying SuperHero & Lego movie sets)?
I want a Falcon but figure Force Awakens would be a better time to go after it.
probably getting The Ghost next week.

ohkay

I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much as I should, but has any info about the Ferrari f40 been released yet?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If you mean shelf space, they're all 32x32 studs (roughly over 25 cm squared). Town Hall has the biggest profile, yes, but it's also arguably the most boring one in terms of detail. (well, Market Street is weaker but it's also not designed by Lego)

2k3rFCg.jpg

I recall the Grocer being mentioned here as well. How does it fare? Better than Parisian?

And I'd like to know if you guys were to rank each modular from best to least good, what would it be?

3N16MA

Banned
So what are some really good Star Wars sets to go after(mainly been buying SuperHero & Lego movie sets)?
I want a Falcon but figure Force Awakens would be a better time to go after it.
probably getting The Ghost next week.

From sets I actually own:

AT-AT
Star Destroyer
TIE Advance Prototype
Snowspeeder
X-Wing (hard to find as it is OOP)

Of course you have the UCS sets which look amazing. Other members have more experience with those as I currently do not have any.

Maengun1

LEGO Birds 2 is up on LEGO Ideas.

Cool! I just got the Birds set kind of on a whim, but I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed building it and how great it looks on the shelf! I love the movie/tv/etc. licensed themes, but I found the Birds set really refreshing.

Supported!

Bought the last HulkBuster on sale yesterday at my local Target. $24.99 is definitely a better price for this set considering how small it is. I guess the price is high because of all the mini figs?

Bought the last HulkBuster on sale yesterday at my local Target. $24.99 is definitely a better price for this set considering how small it is. I guess the price is high because of all the mini figs?

Probably the Hulk big fig throws that extra $5 on there. Either way, the set is worth it at full price, and even better if discounted at all. Definitely a standout set for the year thus far.

I recall the Grocer being mentioned here as well. How does it fare? Better than Parisian?

And I'd like to know if you guys were to rank each modular from best to least good, what would it be?

Green Grocer
Parisian Restaurant
Pet Shop
Café Corner
Detective's Office
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Palace Cinema
Town Hall
Market Street

LEGO Birds 2 is up on LEGO Ideas.
I don't really care for Birds 1, but I actually like the Woodpecker in Birds 2 A LOT. The Cardinal is great too.

One thing though, that tree trunk for the Woodpecker... they gotta do something about that. The flower with the Hummingbird was cute and a good way to balance how small the bird was but just a big ugly tube of brown plates... sucks. I don't know what they could do instead but it just looks bad IMO, waste of pieces and potential price point.

Ooo I'll try to look for Green Grocer then

The "original 3" modulars were produced in smaller quantities, are long out of print and are exceedingly expensive.

Green Grocer, Market Street & Cafe Corner each sell for between $800 up to $2,000 - $3,000.

Of the more recent modulars, I believe Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium & Town Hall are out of print, but the prices are much more reasonable ($400 - $600 for Fire Brigade for example). You may still find Grand Emporium & Town Hall at brick & mortar shops if you look hard enough but probably not.

A couple of months after building it, I'm in agreement with the rest of the crowd in that the restaurant is the best of the recent ones. If I had to rank them it would be as follows....I still haven't cracked the Detective's Office box so I don't know where it will fit.

Parisian Restaurant
Pet Shop
Town Hall
Grand Emporium
Fire Brigade
Palace Cinema

If you are looking to get one and only one, get the restaurant. If you think you want to build a "street", look for Town Hall (it is a great centerpiece to a street) or buy Pet Shop since it's disappearing soon.

Experien

Pre-order from GameStop in the US and get this inaccurate polybag!

CBXNmB4VEAEaiS5.png

Sorry, I am kind of annoyed that this is now a Gallimimus and the fact they are changing it to a carnivore from the first movie.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pre-order from GameStop in the US and get this inaccurate polybag!

CBXNmB4VEAEaiS5.png

Sorry, I am kind of annoyed that this is now a Gallimimus and the fact they are changing it to a carnivore from the first movie.

https://twitter.com/LEGOJurassic/status/582891357313724417

Very nice. I want it. So does it come with both minifigures then?

I read some speculation that the other minifigure comes with every version and is not a pre-order exclusive.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, I just placed my pre-order...

No other Jurassic World sets come with that mold (yeah, it's a re-release from the 2012 Dinos like several others, but new colors! :p)

I'd like for the other minifig to be announced as a pack-in for all copies but probably not happening.

Dr. Wu actually comes in one of the Ultra Dino retail set so it's not a loss.

I hope this movie is good guys! I want Dino fever like I did in the summer of 1993 :p What a great year!

3N16MA

Banned
Ooo I'll try to look for Green Grocer then

As PalaceBrother mentioned, it is long retired and prices have skyrocketed. Your best bet would be to bricklink the set as it will most likely be cheaper that way. That being said it is still pricey to get all the pieces as some of those sand green bricks are $2+ per brick.

I don't really care for Birds 1, but I actually like the Woodpecker in Birds 2 A LOT. The Cardinal is great too.

One thing though, that tree trunk for the Woodpecker... they gotta do something about that. The flower with the Hummingbird was cute and a good way to balance how small the bird was but just a big ugly tube of brown plates... sucks. I don't know what they could do instead but it just looks bad IMO, waste of pieces and potential price point.

I agree with you regarding the tree trunk for the woodpecker. I'm sure if this gets approved, Lego will try and make it look better without wasting so much of the piece count on it.

In my opinion, the Birds 2 submission looks awful compared to the Birds 1. The hummingbird and blue jay are top notch. Hopefully they can Lego-fy it to make it look better.

Just saw a post from Lego on Facebook and noticed that there are two arcade games in the new Kwik-E-Mart. That reminds me of the days that I used to play Street Fighter at the local 7-eleven when I was in high school. I am definitely getting it now. Such an awesome set for Lego to release after the ho-hum (IMO) Simpsons House.

The Bearded Nerd is your blog? I had no clue but your LEGO posts are great. That bricklink post you linked a few pages back was really helpful.

Yup, that's why I'm spamming the useful articles I've written all the time :)

It's slowly turning into a Lego blog as I'm slowly abandoning previous hobbies, at least in terms of how much I spend on it.

DemiMatt

I will be moving soon and cannot take my Lego sets with me. I have no idea how much I should be pricing these on Craigslist. Would love if one buyer can take all of them. Dusting upkeep is poor, I admit. Any quotes?

Not sure about any of the cars (which may go for some $$$) but I know the Gran Emporium & The Fire Brigade can go for a pretty penny if complete. Do you have boxes & instructions? I think you can get like 250-300 for the Grand Emporium & 300 - 400 for the Fire Brigade.

Built the Parisian Restaurant on my day off yesterday.

Wow, all I can say is wow.

Sure it took a solid 6 hours of effort, but damn was it a fun build. So many little nooks and crannies to stuff detail in. Plus the color scheme is amazing to me.

I don't think I'll end up getting another big set until the Kwik-E-Mart.

Built the Parisian Restaurant on my day off yesterday.

Wow, all I can say is wow.

Sure it took a solid 6 hours of effort, but damn was it a fun build. So many little nooks and crannies to stuff detail in. Plus the color scheme is amazing to me.

I don't think I'll end up getting another big set until the Kwik-E-Mart.

Was that your first modular? If so, are you feeling the itch to get more of them? You should.

Was that your first modular? If so, are you feeling the itch to get more of them? You should.

Yeah it was my first modular.

None of the others really do anything for me to be honest. I really enjoy the exterior of the Palace Cinema but from what I've heard the inside is completely boring and uninspired.

Yeah it was my first modular.

None of the others really do anything for me to be honest. I really enjoy the exterior of the Palace Cinema but from what I've heard the inside is completely boring and unexpired.

That is true about Palace Cinema. Pet Shop and Detective's Office have awesome exteriors and interiors though. Parisian Restaurant is the best of the currently available modulars, so it is all downhill after that. But it is an awesome hill.

3N16MA

Banned
Does anyone know which Ideas/Cuusoo project was fastest to 10000 supporters? Brick-built Adventure Time figures has nearly 9000 supporters in two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom