• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I still really, really want to find the Hulk Lab Smash set on clearance... Its price just won't drop though.

Same with TaskMaster in the Hulk Lab Smash set. Another, uh, risque character to include as a MiniFig, especially given his history with Deadpool. I wish they had used his look from the Deadpool comics (the run before Cable & Deadpool) though, I LOVE that version.

TASKM.jpg

Such a sick mask.

Udon Taskmaster is still my favorite Taskmaster.

Any word if any of the Jurassic World sets will be based on the past movies as the game features all 4?

Really want Dr Grant, the JP1 Jeeps & Ford Explorers.

Ryuuroden

That is fantastic. I don't have any nostalgia for the Pirates themes, but if that was a set I'd be all over it.

They're from these Lego Soccer sets.
I'm super curious to see how he's going to use them.

First off, happy birfday.

Second, what in the world are those giant green pieces with the recessed circle in them?

Nothing super amazing. They just make good cheap raisers for building up ground. This is the skeleton shot of what I am doing. Each 48x48 baseplate will attach to each other with technic pins. After I cover the entire thing with 16x16 green plates I will raise and lower modify it to put a pond in and small hillsides along with the circular path etc. Plus trees and all that.

Doing it really makes the base really rigid.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Nothing super amazing. They just make good cheap raisers for building up ground. This is the skeleton shot of what I am doing. Each 48x48 baseplate will attach to each other with technic pins. After I cover the entire thing with 16x16 green plates I will raise and lower modify it to put a pond in and small hillsides along with the circular path etc. Plus trees and all that.

Oh neat! I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result!

Very nice.

And I just finished building the X-Men vs. Sentinel set. Pretty cool overall, but not worth getting at full price. The build is fun, but it feels like "My First Quinjet" as it goes along.
The Sentinel is pretty awesome when done, and the mini figs are great. The Storm figure in particular is fantastic. One of the best super hero figures I have come cross in some time. Maybe I am blinded by how cool her cape is.

If this were a $30 set, it would be a very easy recommendation, but not at $50. Even if it were $30 it would still be eclipsed by the sheer awesomeness of the Hulkbuster set, but it would be a much easier pill to swallow.

In the end, I am glad I got it for $25, but would probably be upset if I paid full price. Of the $50 super hero sets, Hulk Lab Smash is the go to at that price range. It not only has the better figures, but is a better play set when completed.

Ponn

Banned
Most of the Super Hero sets seem to be not worth it at full price...sadly

Rule of thumb seems to be the $20 superhero sets are worth it. The rest are up in the air but mostly up to the figs. I have found some creative uses for alot of the ho-hum sets though by either combining them with other sets or doing something different.

3N16MA

Banned
I love the minifis from Super Heroes but most of the sets I don't care for. The odd one like the Milano, Darkseid Invasion, and Quinjet have more appeal because of the ships.

I also took the plunge and ordered Pet Shop on the last day of double VIP. I was trying to see if would revert back to an early April ship date but it never did.

Rule of thumb seems to be the $20 superhero sets are worth it. The rest are up in the air but mostly up to the figs. I have found some creative uses for alot of the ho-hum sets though by either combining them with other sets or doing something different.

I usually look at them as figure and parts packs for later. It is very rare if I want to keep a super hero set still assembled.

Ponn

Banned
I usually look at them as figure and parts packs for later. It is very rare if I want to keep a super hero set still assembled.

The ships I leave assembled. Arkham was a good one for display. Daily Bugle I know gets flak as a minifig pack but if you build onto it and the bank from the Two Face chase set it actually makes a neat little superhero diorama thing. I also like to keep a shelf dedicated to all the Bat vehicles but pretty much everything else goes into parts yea. I do have big plans for the Joker Funland set though and i'm glad I picked up that Funhouse set from last year to help make what i'm picturing in my head.

Speaking of super hero sets Amazon has 20 percent of the Gorilla Grodd set right now, 39.99 pretty good price.

Im holding out for May 4th for Sandcrawler, hoping it gets a discount of some sort.
I'm only saying this because I don't want you to get your hopes up, but Lego Exclusive sets like the Sandcrawler never get any kind of discount or sale :(

Apparently there was some situation where Death Stars were discounted and people took massive advantage of it and after that... never again. :<

I'm only saying this because I don't want you to get your hopes up, but Lego Exclusive sets like the Sandcrawler never get any kind of discount or sale :(

Apparently there was some situation where Death Stars were discounted and people took massive advantage of it and after that... never again. :<

They usually discount the previous UCS stuff on May 4th, but usually only 10% or so. Heck, in the UK last year many were 15% off. In the US in 2013 we had the B-Wing for 50% off. I think last year was the first year we didn't have an UCS with any discount in the US.

I am not expecting steep discounts at all. Just 10%, which with an UCS, is a good amount of money.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's actually pretty short, I'd say it's less than two VW Campers.

I posted a list of sizes somewhere. Most are around 30 cm tall, not counting towers. Town Hall is 50 cm in total.

Ah I see. Still they look like structures rather than playsets (granted they can be playsets too) so they should go well with my cabinet.

Also for a moment I thought I saw a bargain for a Star Wars Destroyer, then I realized it's a typical Destroyer and not the Super Destroyer.

Ryuuroden

They usually discount the previous UCS stuff on May 4th, but usually only 10% or so. Heck, in the UK last year many were 15% off. In the US in 2013 we had the B-Wing for 50% off. I think last year was the first year we didn't have an UCS with any discount in the US.

I am not expecting steep discounts at all. Just 10%, which with an UCS, is a good amount of money.

I am pretty much going to agree with the comment that no discount will be incoming. LEGO has changed a lot of things since 2013. And as seen during Christmas time, its pretty much fuck the US, when it comes to discounts. Europe still gets them which is irritating.

I am pretty much going to agree with the comment that no discount will be incoming. LEGO has changed a lot of things since 2013. And as seen during Christmas time, its pretty much fuck the US, when it comes to discounts. Europe still gets them which is irritating.
I know. I can still hope at least. Hope for the best but be prepared for nothing happening.

How big and tall do modulars go btw, at least when compared to say, Camper or Mini Cooper?

Café Corner: 35 cm (with tower)
Market Street: 32 cm
Green Grocer: 33 cm
Fire Brigade: 38 cm (with tower)
Grand Emporium: 30 cm (NOT including the billboard)
Pet Shop: 28 cm
Town Hall: 50 cm
Palace Cinema: 37 cm (with tower)
Parisian Restaurant: 29 cm
Detective's Office: 27 cm

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wow, DO is short huh?

Also I wish more playsets mimic Avengers Tower. Rather than having an exposed backside, it's an opening shell like in Simpsons.

Ryuuroden

And boom, the companion to the Black Seas Barracuda!

5ha5CIj.jpg

For this, I wasn't remaking it, more like rebuilding with slightly more modern parts. The base is completely new though. I built the fort in LDD first, and then added parts under it to replace the special raised baseplate.

More here: Neo-Classic Pirates: Eldorado Fortress

Wow, fantastic recreation. I love what you did recreating the base in brick form. Excellent work. I still own this set and it was one of my favorites as a kid. When I built my massive multi layered fortifications as a kid, this set usually formed the backbone of the fortifications.

I've told the story here before, but the morning of the B-Wing sale a friend and I were second in line when the LEGO store opened.

The guy in front of us asked if they had a B-Wing and the clerk told him yes they have some.

"Oh great, ok I'll take all of them please"

"You want...all of them?"

"Yes please"

"You can have one."

"NO I want to pay for all of them!"

"How does ONE sound?"

I gained a lot of respect for the staff that day. This wasn't a polite, or short exchange. We all left with one.

wow, DO is short huh?

Also I wish more playsets mimic Avengers Tower. Rather than having an exposed backside, it's an opening shell like in Simpsons.

Now, it's popular to complain about Detective's Office, so I'd like to add something. It's rather unfair to compare sizes based on the top point, since any building with a tower instantly has more "value". DO is basically flat, it doesn't even have a chimney. Now, if you instead compare the height of the roof layer of each building:

Café Corner: 35 cm (with tower) - roof at 26 cm
Market Street: 32 cm - roof at 28 cm
Green Grocer: 33 cm - roof at 30 cm
Fire Brigade: 38 cm (with tower) - roof at 24 cm
Grand Emporium: 30 cm (NOT including the billboard) - roof at 25 cm
Pet Shop: 28 cm - roof at 25 cm
Town Hall: 50 cm - roof at ~30 cm
Palace Cinema: 37 cm (with tower) - roof at 22 cm (tiny building)
Parisian Restaurant: 29 cm - roof at 26 cm
Detective's Office: 27 cm - roof at 25 cm

Or you can compare the weight, or the number of parts, or parts per price etc. It's all rather silly and says nothing about how great a set is.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I told you guys to get the Hulkbuster before scalpers went nuts over it! I can only imagine the prices when Age of Ultron comes out...*shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom