• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

I see the Hulkbuster set gets a lot praise here. I almost picked it up in the store the other day but I put it down after looking at it. The suit looks cool, but the Hulk "cage" thing looked pretty lame. Also had no interest in the minifigs other than Hulk and Ironman.

Maybe I'll pick it up though if I can find it on sale just for the suit.

I see the Hulkbuster set gets a lot praise here. I almost picked it up in the store the other day but I put it down after looking at it. The suit looks cool, but the Hulk "cage" thing looked pretty lame. Also had no interest in the minifigs other than Hulk and Ironman.

Maybe I'll pick it up though if I can find it on sale just for the suit.

The suit really is terrific. I'm not a huge fan of Hipster Hulk but it's worth it just for the awesome armor.

You're right-the "cage" is lame, and I'm not a big fan of any of the Ultron figures or the Wanda one.

red13th

Built the Parisian Restaurant on my day off yesterday.

Wow, all I can say is wow.

Sure it took a solid 6 hours of effort, but damn was it a fun build. So many little nooks and crannies to stuff detail in. Plus the color scheme is amazing to me.

I don't think I'll end up getting another big set until the Kwik-E-Mart.

I agree, the Parisian Restaurant is amazing! I bought it last year and it was a blast to build.
When I went to California last month I bought the Detective Office, I can't recommend it enough, they look great together IMO:

10850253_10206109180638198_7115477076367743589_n.jpg

I agree, the Parisian Restaurant is amazing! I bought it last year and it was a blast to build.
When I went to California last month I bought the Detective Office, I can't recommend it enough, they look great together IMO:

All modulars look better when paired up with other modulars. The sexiness only increases as more modulars join.

Not sure about any of the cars (which may go for some $$$) but I know the Gran Emporium & The Fire Brigade can go for a pretty penny if complete. Do you have boxes & instructions? I think you can get like 250-300 for the Grand Emporium & 300 - 400 for the Fire Brigade.
Yea, I have boxes and instructions for all of them. Thanks for the estimates.

So tonight we had to switch our PAB wall over to the new Pick-a-Model, and that involved pulling out a lot of the drawers to empty out and swap the brick.

Naturally, over time, bricks fall back behind the wall. So letting curiosity get the the best of me, I pulled out all the bottom drawers to look at what'd fallen down over the years.

Needless to say it was an absolute treasure trove down there but the pinnacle for me was this:

I mean, obviously since they were on the PAB wall at one point they can't be THAT rare right? But I have NEVER seen one before.

Other treasures included checkered flags, golden window panes, some barrels, clock faces, giant monster truck wheels, a cool 1x4 control panel tile, and three pieces of the original Hero Factory, from when you could apparently build them yourself.

Can't wait to read everyone's reactions to the new PAB/PAM wall over the next couple days.

So, a third Tron movie is in production. Any chance of Lego doing a Tron theme? Clearly there are people at Lego who like Tron, since they keep making seemingly Tron-inspired vehicles.
1be4dd3b37210a1f543466cd4bb6c2c7.jpg

It would seem a good fit as well, with loads of vehicle and playset possibilities.

Ovek

7Member7
So, a third Tron movie is in production. Any chance of Lego doing a Tron theme? Clearly there are people at Lego who like Tron, since they keep making seemingly Tron-inspired vehicles.
1be4dd3b37210a1f543466cd4bb6c2c7.jpg

It would seem a good fit as well, with loads of vehicle and playset possibilities.

I would be amazed if they didn't.

Rootbeer

Banned
This day is a pain in the ass, especially since some of the news ends up being legit. This is not one of those.

It's especially annoying when companies make legit announcements on April 1st PURPOSEFULLY and everyone is left confused about how real it is or not for the next couple days. Sigh.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Looks to be approximately 38 x 32 studs. I may be slightly off. A bit wider than the standard modulars, about as deep and much shorter. 2179 pieces.

Ah I see.

Oh a quick question, do modulars use a base plate? I remember the simpsons house not using any

Ah I see.

Oh a quick question, do modulars use a base plate? I remember the simpsons house not using any

The non-modular big buildings like Haunted House and Simpsons House are made to be played with, not mainly as display pieces, so they are hinged to open. The modulars all sit on baseplates and since they're made to stand alongside each other, there's no room to swing open. Instead each floor lifts off separately.

You could pretty easily mod other buildings to fit the same standard.

On the subjects of modulars... i just finished building this bad boy here:

MTfkmPQ.jpg

It looks great overall, as everyone has said previously, the second floor is really fun to build and see how it all comes together, especially the ping pong table, the kitchen(ette) and dat monster fridge!!!

On the outside i especially love these golden helmets on the wall decor! (don't mind that creep behind the window)

ZSvGtsh.jpg

Ah I see.

As Phon & Siegfried said, yes they do.

Are you familiar with Brickset? If you find a set you're interested in the site can likely answer most any question you have about it. If you click on "Parts" for example, you'll get a list of the pieces used in a set.

http://brickset.com/sets/10243-1/Parisian-Restaurant

Click on "Parts" here and you'll see 6061048 (the baseplate part #) listed half-way down the page.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
On the modular front, I am currently building Green Grocer myself.

It's mostly from parts in my collection of bricks (I don't break down sets, I raid PAB walls, buy bulk lots from charity shops & the like). I've been picking up the various small bits and pieces I need over the last year or so to do this, but only really started last week.

I had a load of san green 1x1 bricks and some tiles spare from a mosaic I paid to build for like £6 at the BRICK show (this was a great way to grab a bunch of them cheap) and I made a few Bricklink orders for tiles and roof pieces and the windows.

But I've really been focusing on the facade as this will sit amongst my other modulars (a Cafe Corner I built in a similar way, plus Pet Shop and Fire Brigade - and my unbuilt Detective's Office!). So the side walls won't be super necessary to see.

It's such an impressive structure, and I hope my substitutions are tasteful. It's also really fun to look at the instructions, look at what I've got, and try and compromise to make it work. And a big project always reminds you what a joy LEGO is.

Green Grocer semi-accurate build by MOChael, on Flickr

3N16MA

Banned
I think the 1x1 bricks look good in place of the 1x2 with groove. I was just thinking the other day that using 1x2 and 1x1 sand green without the groove would be fine if I was putting it together. Perhaps wait and see if the groove bricks ever fall to a reasonable price in the future.

melike75

Neo Member
Looks good, but you should try getting some of that tan in there to break up all the gray.

Dont keep us in suspense! What'd ya get? And what are you looking forward to breaking open the most.

On a different note, over here in Australia the whole scalper problem is just getting worse. Our sales rarely get higher than 20% off but last week one of our department stores was clearing out a bunch of stuff for up to half price including stuff like the UCS X-wing (which I managed to score), sea cow, simpsons house and more.. people were going nuts! And then posting about it bragging moments later on the local Facebook Buy and sell groups. It was just sickening.

Then the Detective Office hit Myer yesterday apparently - all sold out instantly (in fact I think they sold out before they even opened) - people going in buying every single set they have. Apparently someone saw a guy that wasnt just pushing 2 trolleys of LEGO - no, it was 2 stock cages or whatever they are called full. Apparently talking to staff this particular person spent (or spends) 6k on LEGO that was just going to be listed on gumtree/ebay. And apparently because he spends so much the manager gives him (and people like him i guess) an additional discount.

Its getting quite grating keeping up with local LEGO news as its all about sales and scalpers and what not. Its depressing which is NOT what LEGO should be about.

And apparently because he spends so much the manager gives him (and people like him i guess) an additional discount.
Wtf. That really should be reported in a public way to LEGO. If there's social media on it they may be able to get support to impose some limits on the stores.

Anyone else really dislike the term AFOL for some reason?

I'm not sure why exactly, but whenever I see it, I do the Sideshow Bob rake-to-the-face grumble. It sounds so stupid as a word, "I'm an ayfol," and even worse when completely broken down, "I'm an adult fan of Lego." I've never actually heard or spoken it IRL, so my only exposure to it is online. It just looks so strange.

Who came up with it? Using ALF (adult lego fan) sounds so much better -- and there's the added benefit of being associated with a cat-eating alien! :p

Weird thing to semi-rant about but meh... what're you gonna do?..

Experien

I'm not sure why exactly, but whenever I see it, I do the Sideshow Bob rake-to-the-face grumble. It sounds so stupid as a word, "I'm an ayfol," and even worse when completely broken down, "I'm an adult fan of Lego." I've never actually heard or spoken it IRL, so my only exposure to it is online. It just looks so strange.

Who came up with it? Using ALF (adult lego fan) sounds so much better -- and there's the added benefit of being associated with a cat-eating alien! :p

I dislike it too. Ignore when people use that term (not the person), don't use it, and continue on with conversations? Just enjoy what you enjoy without all the labels.

I dislike it too. Ignore when people use that term (not the person), don't use it, and continue on with conversations? Just enjoy what you enjoy without all the labels.

Yeah, I've just been doing my best to ignore it. I haven't run into a situation where a go-to term is necessary. The hobby hasn't come up with most of my friends.

I have never used the term in real life. Anytime my hobby comes up, I just simply tell people that it is all I spend my money on, and that gets the point across. No point in tossing out acronyms. The only time I have ever used an acronym was when I described SNOT to someone when showing off my bookstore MOC last year.

Fowler

I don't like it, but the term doesn't come up for me all that often.

But... if I had to pick, I'd pick AFOL over ALF any day.

I am not a fan of the cat-eating alien :)

3N16MA

Banned
I'm simply a fan of LEGO or LEGO fan. Group me in with kids, teens, adults, it doesn't matter to me as I don't care for the defining it beyond that.

Nitemare1

I can't say I've ever used the term AFOL. I usually just tell anyone that brings it up that I'm a collector. If it goes any further in conversation I'll mention theres a community of adult builders and sets that LEGO makes catered towards them. It usually doesn't go further than that and I certainly dont push it. Not because I'm ashamed. I just know most people I deal with day to day aren't that interested.

That being said.. LONG WEEKEND!. QUINJET TIME!

I know I don't post in this thread a lot (or really at all :x), but... I did it. I broke down and bought the Detective's Office. Spent all day and a good chunk of work (yay working from home!) building this thing, and it is absolutely insane. Are all modulars this impressive? The amount of detail (THERES A FRIGGIN ROLLING PIN) is staggering, and I absolutely love it. I'm probably going to try making some Lego street photography later, but I might wait until I get a second modular (there's no way I'm not &_&). Too bad right now I'm at work!

I know I don't post in this thread a lot (or really at all :x), but... I did it. I broke down and bought the Detective's Office. Spent all day and a good chunk of work (yay working from home!) building this thing, and it is absolutely insane. Are all modulars this impressive? The amount of detail (THERES A FRIGGIN ROLLING PIN) is staggering, and I absolutely love it. I'm probably going to try making some Lego street photography later, but I might wait until I get a second modular (there's no way I'm not &_&). Too bad right now I'm at work!

The first two* modulars didn't have interiors, but they've been out of print for ages. The rest are all pretty insane.

*Some people don't count Market Street, the theoretically-second large modular-style building, as a modular because it was designed by fans under a weird promotion or something.

3N16MA

Banned

Parisian Restaurant ushered in a new level of detail for the modular buildings and it seems TLG is sicking with that.

Ryuuroden

Fuck yeah welcome to the fold. Get the Parisian Restaurant next for detail but if you want to get one that has some really cool features, you need to order the Pet Shop first, that will vanish from the shelves within the next few months. The last copies are being sold now. Get the Parisian Restaurant after you get pet shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom