• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapowza

image.jpg2_zpsabp7cppl.jpg

W00t

That lower shelf is well dodgy though, will fix it at some point.

I was at Scheels (sporting goods store) this past weekend and they had a mini-aisle dedicated to Lego in the back of the store. It was random and surprising, but I did like their selection. It was all older sets that you really don't see at Target/Wal-Mart anymore. Mostly Star Wars, but some Lego City and some Minecraft.

Also, series 12 and 13 minifigures. Both boxes were full and were $4.99 a figure but I'm not sure if that is normal price anymore.

Figured I'd give you guys a heads up if you want to look for older harder to find stuff.

Ryuuroden

wooo, bidding on Imperial Hotel, Falling Water and Villa Savoye, less than 30 minutes to go, wish me luck.

Current prices are $43, $38, and $25 dollars

Its a local auction where you have to pick up the items which is why I don't think I am hurting myself by posting about it here.

EDIT:

Ended up winning Imperial Hotel for 55 dollars, Falling Water for 43 dollars, and Villa Savoye for 25 dollars.

Yay, now my architecture wanted list is complete up to date.

Should be able to get the parts from Bricklink, though. That's what I did for the mini-landspeeder they made a few years ago.

Well my main hope with a Maicrofighrer Sandcrawler was actually the minifigure - I was hoping they'd toss a Jawa in there to spare us from having to pay $300 to get one.

But I realize now that was a stupid thought, because not only do the Jawa exist in the big set as a reason for people to buy it, but they could just as easily put another character in there too since even the the Celebration set comes with C3PO instead of a Jawa.

ghostmind

Well my main hope with a Maicrofighrer Sandcrawler was actually the minifigure - I was hoping they'd toss a Jawa in there to spare us from having to pay $300 to get one.

But I realize now that was a stupid thought, because not only do the Jawa exist in the big set as a reason for people to buy it, but they could just as easily put another character in there too since even the the Celebration set comes with C3PO instead of a Jawa.

No, there is another...

Zerojul

It's probably been posted before (I've only recently been reading this thread) but I'm browsing the Lego Ideas site and saw this awesome Titanic with almost 10k supporters and 3 weeks left!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/1319

I've always thought this would make an awesome set.

Supported, I agree it could be a fantastic display piece !
Piece count (and price) is probably too high for an Ideas set, but it could give Lego a good idea.

Wait. Is that Gandalf in the Lego Dimensions teaser? Or a generic wizard?

I will take this as an opportunity to desperately hope the LOTR line isn't dead.

Experien

I got a terrible "dilemma" and I don't know what to do. It is moving. I don't think moving sets will be a big issue but...

I live in a townhouse where I have decent space but not a whole lot. Largest set I have displayed is Jabba's Palace w/Rancor Pit, Milano, or Jabba's Sail Barge. The new location will be in a good-sized apartment...it is actually probably the biggest in the area. The problem is, my gf and I are working on layout and looks like there is little to no space to display LEGO. Seems almost certain that there will be no space to actually open and build my Ewok Village :(

Am I destined to only get small sets and have to hold onto Ewok Village until we get a bigger space years in the future? That seems like my only option. What would you do?

I got a terrible "dilemma" and I don't know what to do. It is moving. I don't think moving sets will be a big issue but...

I live in a townhouse where I have decent space but not a whole lot. Largest set I have displayed is Jabba's Palace w/Rancor Pit, Milano, or Jabba's Sail Barge. The new location will be in a good-sized apartment...it is actually probably the biggest in the area. The problem is, my gf and I are working on layout and looks like there is little to no space to display LEGO. Seems almost certain that there will be no space to actually open and build my Ewok Village :(

Am I destined to only get small sets and have to hold onto Ewok Village until we get a bigger space years in the future? That seems like my only option. What would you do?
Just have fewer things on display, and get clever with the space. Or just use the tops of a bookcase or something for specific sets. It really is about finding any available space to display stuff. Granted, you won't be able to put something like the Helicarrier up or anything, but somewhat smaller footprint things like modulars should be fine if you can put the Milano up.

Just_one

looking for Frodo House Set but without the minifigures , anyone knows where i can find one without the minifigures and how much would it cost me?

This is probably where you went wrong.

Get a Ikea Vittsjo. Not a Cabinet, more like very good looking shelving that gives you a lot of space to work with.

I just wonder about good display shelves that also help keep dust out. It is the dust that bothers me most, since cleaning displays is pretty annoying. And any with UV protection by chance? Any sets on displays anywhere near windows bother me because I worry about sun bleaching.

Ryuuroden

I just wonder about good display shelves that also help keep dust out. It is the dust that bothers me most, since cleaning displays is pretty annoying. And any with UV protection by chance? Any sets on displays anywhere near windows bother me because I worry about sun bleaching.

It might be because that room is all LEGO and nothing else but I only have to dust every 9 months or so. That's how long it takes before dust is even visible. It might also be that I spend about 50% of the year it seems, out of town, out of state, so nobody is there to create much dust.

For smaller LEGO sets, you could get an Ikea Detolf. I have my Mini Cooper and VW Bus in one of those as well as all the idea sets. That would be a fully enclosed glass on all sides display case. Each shelf is pretty tall in headspace too. 14 inches wide, 12 inches deep, 14 inches high between each shelf. 4 shelves total.

The detolf is the glass display case in the background with the VW Bus on the bottom shelf.

It might be because that room is all LEGO and nothing else but I only have to dust every 9 months or so. That's how long it takes before dust is even visible. It might also be that I spend about 50% of the year it seems, out of town, out of state, so nobody is there to create much dust.

For smaller LEGO sets, you could get an Ikea Detolf. I have my Mini Cooper and VW Bus in one of those as well as all the idea sets. That would be a fully enclosed glass on all sides display case. Each shelf is pretty tall in headspace too. 14 inches wide, 12 inches deep, 14 inches high between each shelf. 4 shelves total.

The detolf is the glass display case in the background with the VW Bus on the bottom shelf.
Thanks for the ideas.

And I am still disappointed not to see Orthanc touching the ceiling.

Experien

Yeah, there is always space to display LEGO. I think someone is just conveniently finding ways to make sure there isn't.

Nah, she is very supportive of my LEGO having. We are even watching LEGO Ninjago on Netflix right now for fun and she is excited for me to get LEGO Jurassic World. But with a good-sized couch, big TV, using an IKEA Kallax for a bunch of board games, her desk for computer needs, and me wanting to open Ewok Village & get Turtle Lair...only so much space can be found. We might be getting rid of my TV stand and using the Kallax as a TV stand so I can't really put big sets on there.

I'm sure I can find inventive ways to display some sets but I guess I am more concerned by the bigger sets like Ewok Village (mainly).

I just swung by a local thrift shop...a guy got there right before me and found 3 HUGE bags of Blacktron & vintage space stuff. Moon rock baseplates and the whole deal....he also had many "town" pieces that were clearly from the late 60s / early 70s. Lucky dude. $25 all in.

I found some old pirates & space figs plus a bag of old pieces I haven't gone through yet. That dude's haul though...damn.

I just swung by a local thrift shop...a guy got there right before me and found 3 HUGE bags of Blacktron & vintage space stuff. Moon rock baseplates and the whole deal....he also had many "town" pieces that were clearly from the late 60s / early 70s. Lucky dude. $25 all in.

I found some old pirates & space figs plus a bag of old pieces I haven't gone through yet. That dude's haul though...damn.

What an asshole. LOL.

I actually offered him $50 for the whole deal but it was going to his kids. I'd rather kids get it than a speculator (or me to be perfectly honest!).

Let's hope it was going to his kids and not a way to deflect him getting it to sell later. But yes, going to kids is the best place for it to go. Damn good deal too.

I was in his shoes the other day. I found a big bag of about 30 lbs of bricks for $20 at my local thrift. 3 people asked me where I found it and told me how lucky I was to find it. No vintage space, but still a good deal.

Ryuuroden

my room isn't big enough XD

Well my picture is like 4 of them together. A half vittsjo is 20 inches wide while a regular size one is 40 inches wide. Both are 14 inches deep. They are better than cabinets because they give you some space flex in the front back and sides for some stuff to overhang a little if larger than shelf.

Wow! How many Orthanc sets did you buy to be able to construct one of that size?

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding selling LEGO.

I recently got some boxes full of LEGO back from before my dark ages that were still at my parents' place, and I don't really know what to do with them. It's a whole lot of sets, somewhere between 50 and 75, most are complete and all are with instructions. Mostly LEGO City, Pirates, Islanders, lots of train stuff, all from the mid-90's. I also have a couple of sets of the first LEGO Star Wars wave.

I'm currently busy building and sorting them all (just for fun, but also to check if the sets are complete), but I plan on selling most of them off. Thing is, I don't have any experience in selling LEGO, so I have no idea where to start. Things like how much do I ask for certain sets, where do I sell them, ... I don't even know if there's a market for the sets I have (though I guess there's a market for everything :) )

I noticed that there is a marketplace thread here on GAF, so I'm definitely going to post some things on there, but I'm also hoping someone here could help me with some questions, or direct me to a list of pointers somewhere online.

Anyway, main reason I'm selling is because ever since I've come back from my LEGO dark ages two years ago I'm only interested in the Star Wars sets.

Reminds me of the time I found a huge bag of Legoland Space stuff for 5 bucks. This was waaaaay back when I was a kid and we had the internet and all. Or well it was still in its infancy lol

Kitsuné;159370936 said:
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding selling LEGO.

I recently got some boxes full of LEGO back from before my dark ages that were still at my parents' place, and I don't really know what to do with them. It's a whole lot of sets, somewhere between 50 and 75, most are complete and all are with instructions. Mostly LEGO City, Pirates, Islanders, lots of train stuff, all from the mid-90's. I also have a couple of sets of the first LEGO Star Wars wave.

I'm currently busy building and sorting them all (just for fun, but also to check if the sets are complete), but I plan on selling most of them off. Thing is, I don't have any experience in selling LEGO, so I have no idea where to start. Things like how much do I ask for certain sets, where do I sell them, ... I don't even know if there's a market for the sets I have (though I guess there's a market for everything :) )

I noticed that there is a marketplace thread here on GAF, so I'm definitely going to post some things on there, but I'm also hoping someone here could help me with some questions, or direct me to a list of pointers somewhere online.

Anyway, main reason I'm selling is because ever since I've come back from my LEGO dark ages two years ago I'm only interested in the Star Wars sets.

Any 90's stuff or earlier would get some interest here, I know I would be very interested, depending on what you have...=3

Ryuuroden

Wow! How many Orthanc sets did you buy to be able to construct one of that size?

Well I have a whole history of posts that document the building of that dating back to like 9 months ago or more. I actually only purchased 2 official Orthanc sets but I bought a crap load of various lego from bricklink (in the order of well over 30,000 bricks) to build that in addition to black bricks and the like that I already had. It also has a full interior with spiral staircases all the way to the very top and LED lighting. After I finish the landscape around it I will be taking it to my parents and doing a bunch of photos of it outside and then it will be going to Brickworld Chicago in June.

Well I have a whole history of posts that document the building of that dating back to like 9 months ago or more. I actually only purchased 2 official Orthanc sets but I bought a crap load of various lego from bricklink (in the order of well over 30,000 bricks) to build that in addition to black bricks and the like that I already had. It also has a full interior with spiral staircases all the way to the very top and LED lighting. After I finish the landscape around it I will be taking it to my parents and doing a bunch of photos of it outside and then it will be going to Brickworld Chicago in June.

My favorite part of the Bricklink stuff is that you control most of the known pieces of this one particular part now.

Ryuuroden

My favorite part of the Bricklink stuff is that you control most of the known pieces of this one particular part now.

Yeah, theres like literally (I just checked) 1439 of them left on bricklink and I own 1500 or so with another 1000 incoming from Lugbulk ;0 Actually the number on bricklink has grown a bit so I may buy up some more of the larger quantities of them.

Yeah, theres like literally (I just checked) 1439 of them left on bricklink and I own 1500 or so with another 1000 incoming from Lugbulk ;0 Actually the number on bricklink has grown a bit so I may buy up some more of the larger quantities of them.

Must control them all!

I wonder how many people from there read this thread and know that you have a majority of them, and some might intentionally be holding some back just to spite you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom