• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

My son mentioned Amiibo to me for the first time the other day. I think he could see the fear in my eyes.

Yeah, my wallet's taken quite a bruising, and I've stopped purchasing legos for myself (big star wars fan, but space limited).

However, my co workers have kids around 3-8 and they love everything lego, so I love to keep up.

If anything, I'd kill for Scooby Doo dimensions.

Lego Wizard of Oz is something I didn't know I needed until now.

I really really hope they actually release some sets based off of it, considering that Lego Movie and Chima are ending this year, Jurassic World and Scooby-Doo are supposedly single-wave themes, and nobody really knows what will happen beyond the third wave of Ultra Agents and second wave of Minecraft. There's also been no rumors I've seen of Speed Champions extending to a second wave, have there?

Should be interesting if they do make a set or sets. I just think it would be roaly effed if they have the characters in the game with no physical counterparts beyond the Wicked Witch and let's face it, she's the most generic character they could have chosen. I need a Lego Scottie dog ;__;

We've just seen the summer/fall sets. It's not weird that we know nothing of what's coming after that.

And I can see Lego Dimensions be a catch-all series, kind of similar to the movie sets, with mixed sets from licenses they're not developing fully. I mean, the cross potential of selling sets with added game functionality in addition to the booster packs is pretty great. Think about the Ultra Agents app bricks, but something much more useful.

So you could have a LotR set, a new BttF set, an Oz set, a Ghostbusters set etc. It would make for a pretty awesome line... and preemptively rule out millions of Ideas sets :D

neonglow

So they aren't smoking anything. In the press release they even say that they won't be forcing you to buy upgraded portals for future releases, aka LEGO Dimensions 2 will be standard $60.

I hope they keep their word on that. Disney mentioned the same thing with Disney Infinity but they still came out with the second game.

ghostmind

We've just seen the summer/fall sets. It's not weird that we know nothing of what's coming after that.

And I can see Lego Dimensions be a catch-all series, kind of similar to the movie sets, with mixed sets from licenses they're not developing fully. I mean, the cross potential of selling sets with added game functionality in addition to the booster packs is pretty great. Think about the Ultra Agents app bricks, but something much more useful.

So you could have a LotR set, a new BttF set, an Oz set, a Ghostbusters set etc. It would make for a pretty awesome line... and preemptively rule out millions of Ideas sets :D

Well, there is a new fantasy Castle theme for early 2016.

I just mean, we have so many themes ending this year, I've been wondering what will replace them. I know there's still all kinds of stuff beyond what's been announced, I just don't remember a time when we've had potentially six themes ending in a year. Like, they've gotta be working on the next "evergreen" theme to replace Chima, right?

Wizard of Oz would be awesome, but I also really like the idea of just a "Lego Dimensions" theme that has just bits and pieces of a bunch of other movies or TV shows that wouldn't necessarily get their own dedicated theme. I wonder if they would do that, though, if it risked brand confusion? "I bought this $60 set for my kid and he can't even use it with the game" kind of stuff.

Ugh I just really want a Wizard of Oz set now fffffffff

I hope they keep their word on that. Disney mentioned the same thing with Disney Infinity but they still came out with the second game.

That's not what he or Disney means. Disney was always going to make Infinity 2, 3, 4, 5, and there will absolutely be Dimensions 2, 3, etc etc. What Neon's saying and what Disney and Lego are saying is that the portal from Infinity/Dimensions 1 will be forward compatible with the sequels so you won't have to buy a new portal every time, you can just buy whatever portal-less version of the sequels they come out with. I spent $20 for Disney Infinity 2 because I just downloaded the digital version and used the portal from the first game, for example.

This is in contrast to Skylanders which seems to have a new portal to buy with every version of the game.

Part of me kind of wishes that the Wii U versions of these games would be a little cheaper and ditch the portals since the friggin controller has an NFC pad on it, but since the games are designed so that the character HAS to sit on the portal the whole time (to ensure that you're actually buying all those figures and not just borrowing them), I guess that wouldn't really work. :\

I guess it helps a bit that the Dimensions portal looks sick as hell.

Wait, wait, wait. I just noticed. Are they seriously using the old Batman helmet for this? WTF WHHYYYYYY the new one is SO much better arrghhh

I will forgive them if Will Arnett voices Batman in the game

Edit: Watched the trailer and it's a sound-alike but they're clearly channeling the Lego Movie version. I also REALLY like that Wildstyle is animated differently that the others (she's done in the stop-motion style of the movie whereas Gandalf and Batman move in the bendy normal Lego Game way).

Someone pointed this out in the other thread:

YIzu8qo.png

Who wants to try and guess all the figures on the top of the box? Third in from the left looks a heck of a lot like Bart. Yellow head, red shirt, blue (child-size?) legs. Hmm.

Also I noticed that the portal only has one spot to put something down on. How.. does that work with the game? In Disney Infinity and Skylanders there are multiple ports. DI, for example, has the port that you put your level piece on, and then two ports for two figures, and then for things like weapons or vehicles you put those tokens on the portals under the character you're playing as.

So if I wanna play as Batman and use the DeLorean, how.. will that work? Hmm.

Edit: There is an awful lot of unused space on the portal floor, I wonder if the entire white part is the NFC base? So your vehicle or items go on that and your character goes in the actual portal? Ahhhh I need more infooooo

I hope that we sell these in the Lego Store. Probably won't sell the game (we never do for whatever reason) but the expansion packs... get that sweet sweet discount.

Experien

Someone pointed this out in the other thread:

YIzu8qo.png

Who wants to try and guess all the figures on the top of the box? Third in from the left looks a heck of a lot like Bart. Yellow head, red shirt, blue (child-size?) legs. Hmm.

Also I noticed that the portal only has one spot to put something down on. How.. does that work with the game? In Disney Infinity and Skylanders there are multiple ports. DI, for example, has the port that you put your level piece on, and then two ports for two figures, and then for things like weapons or vehicles you put those tokens on the portals under the character you're playing as.

So if I wanna play as Batman and use the DeLorean, how.. will that work? Hmm.

Edit: There is an awful lot of unused space on the portal floor, I wonder if the entire white part is the NFC base? So your vehicle or items go on that and your character goes in the actual portal? Ahhhh I need more infooooo

I hope that we sell these in the Lego Store. Probably won't sell the game (we never do for whatever reason) but the expansion packs... get that sweet sweet discount.

Got a bigger image?

Also, there is TONS of space. That one spot you see is either for only vehicles or just design aesthetic. The two landing strips on the side are scanners as well.

Ponn

Banned
Oh for the love of......this is ridiculous. I need to find a sugar momma to keep me in all these Lego sets and now Dimensions. And of course you won't be able to use the minifigures you have already.

The Wizard of Oz has me intrigued though, wasn't that an Idea's set? Are they going to make it but haven't announced it yet?

wetwired

We are getting a PROPER hoverboard accessory!

I wonder if I'll end up sinking more money into this than amiibo? Time shall tell...

ExpansionPack_Americas_BTTFLevelPack.0.jpg

all over my face! must get hoverboard.

I'll shit myself if they do a ghostbusters one

Wizard of Oz is a nice surprise

EDIT> Just watched the trailer, I reckon the PKE meter pretty much confirms it. I haven't heard anything on my end though, I doubt they'd tell me

Got a bigger image?

Also, there is TONS of space. That one spot you see is either for only vehicles or just design aesthetic. The two landing strips on the side are scanners as well.

That's the biggest image I could find so far. Might be on purpose if they don't want all compatible figures leaked out this early.

And thank goodness, it makes much more sense to have all that space be for scanners if you're supposed to scan in figures, vehicles, and items/weapons too (I wonder what the Wiched Witch's winged monkey counts as). Side note, boo on Lego for basically phasing the actual minifigure monkey out of existence. Boo to you Lego booooo.

Where are y'all seeing the PKE meter?

neonglow

I think everything except for a couple Ninjago minifigures are available now so it shouldn't be hard to find like Amiibo. LEGO has a big distribution chain. The only hard items to get was just some LEGO Ideas sets and those weren't very hard if you followed release news.

I think everything except for a couple Ninjago minifigures are available now so it shouldn't be hard to find like Amiibo. LEGO has a big distribution chain. The only hard items to get was just some LEGO Ideas sets and those weren't very hard if you followed release news.

Well it comes down to the chips in the figure's base, not the figures themselves. People aren't excited for the Marty minifig that was already in the BTTF set, they're excited for the hoverboard and the ability to use those in the game (which you wouldn't be able to do if you just had the Marty figure). So if some fucker decides he wants to corner the market on Lego hoverboards, then it's Amiibo all over again.

The upswing, though, is that Lego has been making toys for decades longer than anyone at Disney, Activision, or Nintendo, and as you said they are extremely efficient with their supply chains and distribution. So even if fuckwit scalpers try to buy up all the Wiched Witch sets, Lego will actually... y'know... make more of them.

*glares daggers in Nintendo's direction*

ghostmind

That's the biggest image I could find so far. Might be on purpose if they don't want all compatible figures leaked out this early.

And thank goodness, it makes much more sense to have all that space be for scanners if you're supposed to scan in figures, vehicles, and items/weapons too (I wonder what the Wiched Witch's winged monkey counts as). Side note, boo on Lego for basically phasing the actual minifigure monkey out of existence. Boo to you Lego booooo.

Where are y'all seeing the PKE meter?

In the extended trailer.

EDIT: wetwired has it covered

In the extended trailer.

EDIT: wetwired has it covered

Thanks guys!

That trailer is way better cause it's much clearer that 1) you build the figure/vehicles/items and 2) the entire base is a portal not just the small circle in the middle.

Also yes with that PKE meter in there I can't imagine them not having at least a Ghostbusters level. The pink donut is in there on his table too and it looks like there are Simpsons characters on the top of the box, plus they put in the clip from Wizard of Oz and obviously they're making levels/sets based off that.

Ponn

Banned
I know everyone is thinking about Legolanders right now but I built the Black Manta set as promised.

Black manta sub. kinda cool, evil looking colors, the piping looks pretty cool. The missle launchers are annoying on the front, they keep firing whenever you handle the sub.

This actually isn't a bad little underwater scene here if you wanted to build on to it. The pillar pieces are really nice parts to get. Black Manta definitely looks cool in hand.

And its a Bat Sub. Yea, thats about all I have to say about it. The smaller boat pieces used to build the bottom of it might come in handy for a MOC. But hey look at that freaking shark with glow in the dark rockets on its side! That's pretty cool.

It's a meh set overall, some nice parts but will probably be torn right down. i'm not even sure I want to leave the Batsub together for my Bat vehicle shelf. The Arctic Batman ski thing looks way cooler. If you don't want any of the pieces then I would suggest just bricklinking the Black Manta fig. Real wasted opportunity with this set if they would have kept the BM sub, built up the underwater scene more and included a couple Aquaman related figs instead of just another Batman and Robin.

Ryuuroden

I'm in. I may have to snag the BttF set first.

Can we detach the minifigs from the base stands?

considering they come in pieces as in like 39 pieces in that box and so on I am assuming that yes they can detach. Including all the parts on a normal minifig and parts I can partially see and ones I assume are there for unseen attachments I count a total of 31 parts including stands in that set which leaves 8 that I can't account for. Everything points to it being completely detachable. I will also add that unlike keychains, the purpose of these is build-ability.

I'm not interested in the game but if the minifigs are just normal figs, I'll definitely grab the Back to the Future one for the mini DeLorean and hoverboard.

Ponn

Banned
Question for you lovely people. By jumping into Star Wars (my ISD just shipped today by the way, gotta make space for it) I pretty much boned myself out of Modulars. Just no humanly way possible I can afford that to, it was one or the other. So my question is what sets should take priority at this point out of the ones i'm looking at.

1)Tumbler
2) Red Five X-Wing
3) Slave-1
4) The Mixer

If Ferris Wheel is coming out soon i'm wondering if Mixer will be retired and I want it and Ferris Wheel for something I got planned for Halloween. Red Five is older and i'm sure thats going oop soon but wondering if I should wait till May 4th on it. Lego Dimensions is just throwing a big ol' wrench into my plans. August/September were going to be my Scooby Doo sets and maybe the new Millennium Falcon if it looks good.

mrkgoo

Just curious, as I put together another Lego set (for the record, a clearance Chima set, the big robot bird vehicle 70003), I was just wondering if the designs actually have an "editor", someone or some guidelines that dictates certain rules.

For example, the model has to be structurally sound, so this USUALLY means, that pieces aren't held by just one stud (if not a single stud piece obviously).

Like are there rules that state, say, a 1x8 piece has to be held by at least 4 studs if central, or 2 if on each end and capped by more structure?

On top of that I also notice that many pieces DON'T overlap in "kind" with different colour, unless totally obvious. For the most part, like a 2x3 plate in dark grey is not in the same set as a 2x3 plate in light grey. Or all the 1x1 circular plates are grey and other obvious contrasting colours, there won't be silver ones. I imagine there's some rules to make sure the intructuions aren't easily messed up with regards to colours of pieces.

LAstly, SNOT technique refers to studs not on top....is there some clever acronym or name for when you place pieces NOT on a 90 degree angle, but at an odd angle?

Just curious, as I put together another Lego set (for the record, a clearance Chima set, the big robot bird vehicle 70003), I was just wondering if the designs actually have an "editor", someone or some guidelines that dictates certain rules.

For example, the model has to be structurally sound, so this USUALLY means, that pieces aren't held by just one stud (if not a single stud piece obviously).

Like are there rules that state, say, a 1x8 piece has to be held by at least 4 studs if central, or 2 if on each end and capped by more structure?

On top of that I also notice that many pieces DON'T overlap in "kind" with different colour, unless totally obvious. For the most part, like a 2x3 plate in dark grey is not in the same set as a 2x3 plate in light grey. Or all the 1x1 circular plates are grey and other obvious contrasting colours, there won't be silver ones. I imagine there's some rules to make sure the intructuions aren't easily messed up with regards to colours of pieces.

LAstly, SNOT technique refers to studs not on top....is there some clever acronym or name for when you place pieces NOT on a 90 degree angle, but at an odd angle?

This official LEGO presentation has at least some of your questions covered.
http://bramlambrecht.com/tmp/jamieberard-brickstress-bf06.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom