• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super impractical though, i mean how does he fare on rocky terrain for example? Sand? etc.

Dude, I was wondering the same thing. I was like "Oh yeah that makes sense as tech advances of course they would make more versatile R2 units" and then I was like "But wait how.. does it go up stairs?"

And then "Wait how did R2 get up stairs?"

Fowler

Dude, I was wondering the same thing. I was like "Oh yeah that makes sense as tech advances of course they would make more versatile R2 units" and then I was like "But wait how.. does it go up stairs?"

Steps? They don't need steps in the Galaxy Far Far Away...

35317_1458709880232_1607961563_31151545_7111828_n.jpg

...oh, right, never mind, I guess he uses his jets then.

The TIE in your previous screencap has standard front lasers (with bright emitters compared to the originals). No bottom gun. Clearly. IMO. Unless it is actually bottom-back mounted.
This latter one? It has quite clearly bottom mounted gun.
I reckon there are two types of TIES, probably something like "grunt" and "leader", like the Star Wars Legacy comics had two versions of the Predator fighter, the TIE-like window being reserved for flight leaders.

EDIT Ah, note the structure where the wing's attached to the main body. Different from what it has been. Indeed, different from the "standard" TIE.

Possible spoilers/speculation:
If that scene is Finn & Poe escaping in a stolen TIE fighter, it needs to be a two-seat model.

How anyone manages to get panelling on a technic set and it look good is beyond me. Took me ten minutes just to figure out a door haha.

Rootbeer

Banned
BB-8 is amazing. Technologically impressive to witness, but I also love the sounds they came up for it. Going to be a HUGE fan favorite.

I doubt LEGO will be able to do a version that does it much justice. But I'm definitely going to be seeking out some other toy versions to own. It's so cute!

Would love if they released an electronic version later this hear that rolls and also has all of the sounds with it.

Rootbeer

Banned
There is a LEGO panel today but they may only show stuff from the Droids show...

They have another panel Saturday I think?

That's if they show them... I don't know about the release... Would they hold them until about a month before the film? Or maybe start before that, will be interesting

Isn't September 4th the big day for Force Awakens merch? Maybe we'll see some then

When can we expect to see The Force Awakens Lego sets? Does anyone have an idea of how these releases are timed in general?
I'd say November.
With a major Star Wars release it would be right around release but with it being mid December they will want merchandise out there in time for Christmas shopping.

This won't be like Rebels and such, every bit of TFA merchandise will probably be marked for release on a single day like Nov 18th for example.

Definitely see Toysrus & Walmarts doing a midnight launch on that date again like they did for 2,3 and Clone Wars.

Tom_Cody

There is a LEGO panel today but they may only show stuff from the Droids show...

They have another panel Saturday I think?

That's if they show them... I don't know about the release... Would they hold them until about a month before the film? Or maybe start before that, will be interesting

Isn't September 4th the big day for Force Awakens merch? Maybe we'll see some then

I'd say November.
With a major Star Wars release it would be right around release but with it being mid December they will want merchandise out there in time for Christmas shopping.

This won't be like Rebels and such, every bit of TFA merchandise will probably be marked for release on a single day like Nov 18th for example.

Definitely see Toysrus & Walmarts doing a midnight launch on that date again like they did for 2,3 and Clone Wars.
Cool.

It will be exciting to see if they debut some of the products this weekend, even if they're launching in the fall.

Rootbeer

Banned
Cool.

It will be exciting to see if they debut some of the products this weekend, even if they're launching in the fall.

I'm hoping they can show something. Lucasfilm is showing off lots of costumes, props, ship designs etc. at Celebration so is it so far fetched for LEGO to show a preview of one of their sets based on some of the stuff that's already been shown?

I'm not holding my breath though.

Cool.

Could be wrong though, Disney could also say screw the tradition of sitting on stuff forever till right before release.

I think Episode 3 was like 1 month pre-movie release, Clone Wars merchandise was definitely closer though.

Jimbro72

Well I just found out that I have one of the SW Celebration sets coming my way now as a relative of mine actually worked at the convention yesterday and purchased one for me.

Prequel retcon this problem by giving a rocket booster, duh. Probably one of the more silly thing from the Prequel (I am not Prequel haters, I actually do enjoy most of it).

Juuuuuuuust about done putting the body on my Lego Miata. Starting to really look good! I still have no idea how I'm going to do with windshield though, given how I've built this. Not a very good mounting point...

Prequel retcon this problem by giving a rocket booster, duh. Probably one of the more silly thing from the Prequel (I am not Prequel haters, I actually do enjoy most of it).
I thought about that, it just seems absolutely ridiculous to me that any time an R2 unit would need to go up a ledge or stairs, it would need to bust out the rocket boosters. Also as already pointed out, at least for "our" R2-D2, his boosters were damaged. Surely he ran into steps since the prequels happened?

And that still doesn't answer how a BB-8 would get around obstacles like that... unless they have boosters too. :T

This is a little off topic from Lego but does anyone know how the naming of robots even works in Star-Wars? Like is R2-D2 that one specific droid, or are they mass produced? Is there an R2-D3? I know there's R5-D4, right? But he has a different "head" shape I think? Is there any rhyme or reason to the way they're named/classified?

Just made my own version of Pohatu, Master of Stone. Part of the same series as my Lewa, Master of Jungle. (Link to lewa) What do y'all think of Pohatu? Criticisms?

He definitley looks a lot more like what I would call a "Bionicle", though he also looks a bit frail around the waist. But I do really like the aesthetic as a Bionicle.

He definitley looks a lot more like what I would call a "Bionicle", though he also looks a bit frail around the waist. But I do really like the aesthetic as a Bionicle.

Yeah, I was going for the robotic piston type feel that stuff like Terminators have. Is the waist too thin or should I increase the thickness of the core poll thing?

T-700endo3.jpg

Kito

How does the (UK) Daily Mail's free Lego promo work? They include a coupon redeemable at various retailers? I need to be ready for this if I want to get the Joker polybag.

Ryuuroden

Anyone live in the Cincinnati area? I called them and they have a bunch of the green 3 stem flower stems. I need a large cup fully stuffed with them for Orthanc. I could make the drive but it would be like 20 dollars in gas to do so. With that being as it is, it would be slightly cheaper to have someone else go who lives nearby, buy a cupful, dump them in a ziplock bag and put them in a paper mailer. Just thought I would ask. (I would pay for it of course)

Rootbeer

Banned
*edit* nevermind... I guess? They've had no major tech problems all day today or yesterday... but suddenly right before the LEGO panel things go wrong and either they are delaying it or not showing it at all... drat

LEGO panel about to be livestreamed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNTpnUR61g

Keep expectations for new products in check... but might be fun if you like the Droids show they are doing

Droid Tales looks amazing! I was laughing hard at the Obi Wan vs. Jango Fett scene!

Was the bit at the end regarding R2 a reference to the teaser trailer? I thought it was safe to assume the hand belonged to Luke... Perhaps not.

Rootbeer

Banned
One of the kids in the audience asked if they were going to update the LEGO Death Star!

They answered that they can't answer but that they would be pleased by what is coming in the future!

Hmmmmmmmm

Anyone live in the Cincinnati area? I called them and they have a bunch of the green 3 stem flower stems. I need a large cup fully stuffed with them for Orthanc. I could make the drive but it would be like 20 dollars in gas to do so. With that being as it is, it would be slightly cheaper to have someone else go who lives nearby, buy a cupful, dump them in a ziplock bag and put them in a paper mailer. Just thought I would ask. (I would pay for it of course)

I do, but I don't know if I'll be able to stop by this weekend. I do work pretty close by so Monday I should be able to go, I wanted to pick up the kwik e mart anyway. Let me know if you want me to.

That poor kid... Anthony Daniels is so great at handling rough questions during Q&A sessions... I'm very impressed by how professional and classy this man is!

BigHow

Neo Member
One of the kids in the audience asked if they were going to update the LEGO Death Star!

They answered that they can't answer but that they would be pleased by what is coming in the future!

Hmmmmmmmm

I wonder if there's going to be a third Death Star in the new film. Which would help explain why they're being so cagey with their answers. And it would likely replace the current Best Star at the $400 price point.

That, or they're just not telling us because they want to keep moving some of that existing stock until the new announcement is made.

I wonder if there's going to be a third Death Star in the new film. Which would help explain why they're being so cagey with their answers. And it would likely replace the current Best Star at the $400 price point.

That, or they're just not telling us because they want to keep moving some of that existing stock until the new announcement is made.

I want to say I'd groan if they try to build yet another Death Star in the films, but truthfully, I'm all for it.

I could see them redoing the Best Star to be a best of both worlds approach. Make the outside look like a detailed model, but then it splits open to reveal small dioramas of scenes inside much like Haunted House, Simpson's House, and Kwik-E-Mart do.

I'm starting to get caught up in this Star Wars hype and now I'm actually thinking about getting a Best Star. I mean I'd thought about it before in terms of "this could be an investment of I bought it and just sat on it for years" but I'm finding myself actually wanting one now.

Argh!

I'm starting to get caught up in this Star Wars hype and now I'm actually thinking about getting a Best Star. I mean I'd thought about it before in terms of "this could be an investment of I bought it and just sat on it for years" but I'm finding myself actually wanting one now.

Argh!

DO IT! Sure, the build is pretty pedestrian, but the flood of nostalgia and love for the movies that washes over you as you build it is priceless and has yet to be topped for me. You start on sections and wonder, "What the heck am I building?" And then some things click into place and you get it. But then more little details spill in as you build, and it makes it that much more special.

The whole thing is just a flood of awesome childhood Star Wars memories. I am biased towards it, but I cannot hide my love.

Buy it.

EDIT: There is a reason that the Best Star has survived as long as it has. It is far too powerful to be felled by something as trivial as LEGO's normal set retirement schedule.

Fowler

Argh!

It's so good. Like Phon said, you can't really judge it by normal LEGO set standards. It's totally unique. An absolute must-buy.

I sometimes feel an urge to get the Death Star, but it's still stupidly expensive and I hate how most of the figures use old style faces. I think that if I were to spend that money on a single set, it would be Taj Mahal instead. Within Star Wars I'd probably also get Ewok Village first.

As for droid names, they're referred to as "R2 series", "R5 series" etc. I'd assume that there are more R2-D2:s, but you also need to consider that it's a pretty old model and that they do fairly dangerous work. So most of them could be scrapped by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom