• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After not trying for that walmart price mistake on that set I just couldn't pick it up for less than $20. I really do love the Rebels show and would love figs of all the characters but the ship itself is just sooooooo boring.

I really am only looking for a discount on the Red Five or TIE Advanced prototype.

If they do discount any UCS stuff, Red Five will probably get it. The TIE Advance is too new.

Really we will probably just get discounts on keychains and magnets, while Europe will get UCS discounts. Sigh.

Maengun1

I always get so antsy when online reports of the new minifigures in stores pop up ... my town never gets them early. Or even on time, I think the last series didn't show up until a week or two after the release date here. Of course when the day finally comes I buy them all within 2 trips and then 4 months pass of seeing them on the shelf every time I walk by haha.

Still working on my Kwik-E-Mart, only on part 5 of 8 after a few weeks. I definitely take my time. After this and the figs I'm waiting for WALL-E and the Scooby series.

Ponn

Banned
If they do discount any UCS stuff, Red Five will probably get it. The TIE Advance is too new.

Really we will probably just get discounts on keychains and magnets, while Europe will get UCS discounts. Sigh.

Red Five is what I want so I would take it. And then of course I will win one of the 10 signed UCS Tie Fighters so I would be all set. :p

So i'm taking a gamble. I'm an AWD vulture and I was saving up my credits for the Mixer but they just listed alot of shit today and one of them was a like new Parisian Restaurant for $139. They also listed very strangely a Hulk Lab Smash set under a heading being used by only one third party seller as Hulk Lab Set complete no minifigs. They are listing it as Very Good with box sealed but damaged box for $13. Now this could be as it says, maybe someone took all the figs out and resealed the bags but they are usually kind of specific if box was opened or coming in different packaging. This could be a mistake by a worker putting it under the wrong category and calculating by current highest like they normally do which is why its so low. i mean, hell if the bags were still sealed with all the minifigs but missing the hulk fig bag I would still be ecstatic. I mean, I can always return it if I lose the gamble I guess.

Red Five is what I want so I would take it. And then of course I will win one of the 10 signed UCS Tie Fighters so I would be all set. :p

So i'm taking a gamble. I'm an AWD vulture and I was saving up my credits for the Mixer but they just listed alot of shit today and one of them was a like new Parisian Restaurant for $139. They also listed very strangely a Hulk Lab Smash set under a heading being used by only one third party seller as Hulk Lab Set complete no minifigs. They are listing it as Very Good with box sealed but damaged box for $13. Now this could be as it says, maybe someone took all the figs out and resealed the bags but they are usually kind of specific if box was opened or coming in different packaging. This could be a mistake by a worker putting it under the wrong category and calculating by current highest like they normally do which is why its so low. i mean, hell if the bags were still sealed with all the minifigs but the hulk fig bag I would still be ecstatic. I mean, I can always return it if I lose the gamble I guess.

It is a gamble, but Hulk Lab Smash ain't the same without those figures. I grabbed it for half price because it was opened, and all that was missing was the Thor figure.

3N16MA

Banned
You are spoiling yourself with Pet Shop first. Palace Cinema will be a step down though. But Parisian Restaurant trumps all right now.

I don't know why I called in Cinema Palace (brain fart). I have heard it is a step down but I will reserve judgment until I eventually purchase it.

Basically purchasing them from oldest first until I catch up.

I don't know why I called in Cinema Palace (brain fart). I have heard it is a step down but I will reserve judgment until I eventually purchase it.

Basically purchasing them from oldest first until I catch up.

Smartest way to do it. Get them while you can.

And Palace Cinema does look really nice once completed. And the build really isn't bad like I and some others imply. It is just "less than" some other modular builds. It is not just about the details on the exterior and interior, but also the process and order in which they are achieved that sets some sets above others for me personally.

But, some sets, in the end, are all about how they look at the end of it. Like the impending UCS TIE Fighter. I am fully prepared and ready for the build on that to be pretty monotonous and a little lame. But it is a giant, detailed TIE Fighter! Of course it is going to look awesome when done and I must have it!

This is my first modular so I will pick up Palace Cinema next before it is gone.

You are spoiling yourself with Pet Shop first. Palace Cinema will be a step down though. But Parisian Restaurant trumps all right now.

Palace Cinema is still my favourite of the ones I have. (PC, TH & GE) It's probably because movies and cinema are a bit part of my life. I'm still torn on whether I should get the PR or not though. It doesn't do much for me but everyone agrees it's the best one.

I think I might get the DO first though.

Palace Cinema is still my favourite of the ones I have. (PC, TH & GE) It's probably because movies and cinema are a bit part of my life. I'm still torn on whether I should get the PR or not though. It doesn't do much for me but everyone agrees it's the best one.

I think I might get the DO first though.

DUDE. Parisian Restaurant.

Detective's Office is pretty damn great though. You can't go wrong with either. DO has the benefit of being a very unique shape in that it is essentially two buildings but built as one, unlike Pet Shop. But PR has a more detailed exterior and interior. So many neat flourishes to it.

Judging from your post, I know you will get both eventually. And I do love Palace Cinema because of my love of movies, but I can't hide my disappointment with the screening room in it. After all, one of my first big scale mocs was a theater (that I can SO improve on now that I have more building experience and more bricks).

ghostmind

T5pyXKV.jpg

RLpGI30.jpg

A0EkPnM.jpg

I can already see the instructions for the wheel portion. Repeat each link variation 24x. Then combine and insert technic pins.

I find extreme repetition sections in builds both frustratingly boring but awesome because the repetition usually yields very cool looking results.

neonglow

This set will be near the top of my list. What's the cheapest or most affordable way to get the power function parts? Do you guys know of relatively cheap sets that would include those parts?

I never understand the criticism of repetitive builds. Especially on planes or other symmetric objects. What do people expect? some kind of magic. And if someone wants to build a ferris wheel, c'est la vie.

Detective's Office is pretty damn great though. You can't go wrong with either. DO has the benefit of being a very unique shape in that it is essentially two buildings but built as one, unlike Pet Shop. But PR has a more detailed exterior and interior. So many neat flourishes to it.

Judging from your post, I know you will get both eventually. And I do love Palace Cinema because of my love of movies, but I can't hide my disappointment with the screening room in it. After all, one of my first big scale mocs was a theater (that I can SO improve on now that I have more building experience and more bricks).

You're not wrong about the screening room. Hugely disappointing.

I'll probably get both in the end but the DO is something that interests me atm.

leng jai

The interior of the Palace Cinema is pretty dire but it makes up for it with its exterior. Parisian Restaurant is the only modular where I would say it's 10/10 inside and out.

It looks beautiful but I'm actually kind of bummed out it doesn't all fold down onto a truck or two. Totally spoiled by that feature in the Mixer.

Also fuckin Lego still refusing to pack in an actual baseplate, Jesus Christ.

And Palace Cinema does look really nice once completed. And the build really isn't bad like I and some others imply. It is just "less than" some other modular builds. It is not just about the details on the exterior and interior, but also the process and order in which they are achieved that sets some sets above others for me personally.

Phon's right. It looks nice once it's completed but parts of the build just don't stand up to the other modulars. The sign in particular comes together in a very strange way that makes you think it will be totally warped. It feels like the build process on that section stresses the pieces too much.

I'm slowly scaling back to just modulars & SW but this really does look incredible. Power functions will be a must...my kids will go nuts for this, and the buckets will be the perfect place to store the millions of Friends & Disney Princess mini dolls I am constantly stepping on.

This is an excellent point. Parisian Restaurant indeed.

It looks beautiful but I'm actually kind of bummed out it doesn't all fold down onto a truck or two. Totally spoiled by that feature in the Mixer.

I'm still on the fence with the Mixer. It looks neat but having the carousel NOT fold down is part of what makes it such an imposing looking set!

My 2015 goal is to stop buying a ton of little sets and focus on the biggies.

Tie Fighter
Red Five
Kwik E Mart
Ferris Wheel
2014 + 2015 Winter Village sets

Do I buy the Helicarrier? Anybody here enjoy it? I've still got a backlog of a bunch of large sets but don't want to miss out if it's exceptional. So far I've avoided most of the new Marvel sets even though I want the figures. The sets end up sorted out into the collection and I feel guilty spending $250 just to get all the figs.

Dumb question, but do you think the UCS Tie Fighter and the UCS X-wing will look good side by side? The Tie Fighter seems like it is a lot bigger???

For the record (I need to purchase both).

Dumb question, but do you think the UCS Tie Fighter and the UCS X-wing will look good side by side? The Tie Fighter seems like it is a lot bigger???

For the record (I need to purchase both).

I haven't seen the Tie in person yet but the UCS X-Wing is way bigger than I expected. I have the 2012 non-UCS versions and I suspect the UCS ones are similarly scaled.

Video. Need video! Must bask in its glory.

Also, kind of surprised they didn't just slap in a 48x48 plate with the set.

I'm guessing they decided against the thin baseplate and went with the thicker smaller plates to prevent the "curling" effect? I've heard about baseplates curling for modulars. I have all the modulars except the Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer but have yet to build any so not sure if that's true.

I love this Ferris Wheel and will definitely be getting it but I have one area of concern. It's with the technic axles that hold each gondola. I wonder if they'll bend with time if I keep one or more figures in them and don't rotate it every so often. What do you guys think?

I put in a big order for some Chinese bootlegs. They had some great characters like Crossbones, Galactus, red Phoenix, Whiplash, Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, and a great Marvel Girl that was only available in a building set that I got in a lot with Black Bolt.

My favorite has got to be the over the top Iron Man cross-over super hero suits of armor. They are just completely out of no where and look like a lot of fun. I will have Iron Man Batman and Robin for crying out loud.

DSC_0218%2Bcopy.jpg

DSC_0228%2Bcopy.jpg

And of course, I ordered my clear hero set as well! I gotta have my invisible Iron man armor after all.

I love this Ferris Wheel and will definitely be getting it but I have one area of concern. It's with the technic axles that hold each gondola. I wonder if they'll bend with time if I keep one or more figures in them and don't rotate it every so often. What do you guys think?

Could be that they might bend after an extraordinarily long period of time but I'm not sure. Does the fact that they're not round help? We need some engineers up in this.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Just a heads up for any Belgian gaffers: Dreamland is holding a Star Wars day on Saturday, and all LEGO Star Wars sets will be 30% off.

I'm guessing they decided against the thin baseplate and went with the thicker smaller plates to prevent the "curling" effect? I've heard about baseplates curling for modulars. I have all the modulars except the Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer but have yet to build any so not sure if that's true.

The problem with baseplate curl was mainly on corner builds like Palace Cinema and Grand Emporium. It would curl because all the pressure and tension on the plate was elsewhere, leaving that corner to be pulled a bit to where all the weight and pressure was.

With larger sets, as long as there is plenty of stuff near the corners and the weight is pretty evenly distributed, it won't be a concern. With the Ferris Wheel it wouldn't bend because it would extend close enough to the edge on all corners.

Could be that they might bend after an extraordinarily long period of time but I'm not sure. Does the fact that they're not round help? We need some engineers up in this.

The only technic axles I have had bend are the extraordinarily long ones, like 16 studs long. The ones on the Ferris Wheel shouldn't bend because they aren't that long anyways, and there are enough support spots they are threaded through in the construction. If they had more length exposed without support before adding the cars at the end, then I would be worried about them sagging. But looking at the pics it doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

That rubber band holding the wheel though...

I put in a big order for some Chinese bootlegs. They had some great characters like Crossbones, Galactus, red Phoenix, Whiplash, Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, and a great Marvel Girl that was only available in a building set that I got in a lot with Black Bolt.

My favorite has got to be the over the top Iron Man cross-over super hero suits of armor. They are just completely out of no where and look like a lot of fun. I will have Iron Man Batman and Robin for crying out loud.

DSC_0218%2Bcopy.jpg

DSC_0228%2Bcopy.jpg

And of course, I ordered my clear hero set as well! I gotta have my invisible Iron man armor after all.

I saw those. Green Lantern and Deadpool are my favorites. Gotta give them credit, they are getting plenty use out of a single Iron Man mould. I'm tempted to get those and the clear ones for the novelty, but I've got plenty other LEGO items on my list ahead of those.

DSC_0218%2Bcopy.jpg

DSC_0228%2Bcopy.jpg

My favorite is the Cyclops one. Just for the visor.

3N16MA

Banned
This set will be near the top of my list. What's the cheapest or most affordable way to get the power function parts? Do you guys know of relatively cheap sets that would include those parts?

I don't think there any cheap sets that have the required parts. It should run $20.48 USD or $27.98 CAD directly from LEGO.

There's a stand-alone battery box and motors of different sizes. The box art shows the AAA battery box and an M motor. The AA battery box is cheaper, could I use that instead? Although, the AAA box would sit more neatly in a non-Technic build I guess.

Annoying that there isn't a standardized box to power a couple of motors through a DC outlet. I don't want to hook up a ton of batteries to one.

There's a stand-alone battery box and motors of different sizes. The box art shows the AAA battery box and an M motor. The AA battery box is cheaper, could I use that instead? Although, the AAA box would sit more neatly in a non-Technic build I guess.

The AAA box can just affix somewhere and is smaller than the AAA. I have the AA box because I was lazy and just bought the pack that came with it. If you plan for it, you can slot the AA box in pretty easily.

KDzJIill.jpg
I just designed the walls to have notches for it to slide onto.

Having said that, I do want to get a AAA box just for the size of it.

3N16MA

Banned

I'm assuming it would work but won't look neat and tidy just because of the shape and size.

I finally got around to putting some Lego away in one of the display cabinets I got from our local Radio Shack closing. This is kind of an "alpha" test to see how it looks and how much I can jam in a single display. I have 3 total. This is far from the final look obviously. The city is even missing the majority of it's usual minifig madness.

ApMSqtr.jpg

mWiUTxA.jpg

8YLKcMR.jpg

Not all the displays will be Lego. I have other hobbies/interests/collections that will likely fill out the other 2. I'm considering putting the city back on the bar where it was and filling this with a different theme. The top shelf can be raised and filled with nothing but minifigs. I think that would look pretty cool. I could easily fit hundreds in there on display on multiple glass shelves.

I finally got around to putting some Lego away in one of the display cabinets I got from our local Radio Shack closing. This is kind of an "alpha" test to see how it looks and how much I can jam in a single display. I have 3 total. This is far from the final look obviously. The city is even missing the majority of it's usual minifig madness.

ApMSqtr.jpg

mWiUTxA.jpg

8YLKcMR.jpg

Not all the displays will be Lego. I have other hobbies/interests/collections that will likely fill out the other 2. I'm considering putting the city back on the bar where it was and filling this with a different theme. The top shelf can be raised and filled with nothing but minifigs. I think that would look pretty cool. I could easily fit hundreds in there on display on multiple glass shelves.

Very nice! I just want to get a shelf long enough to have all the modulars in a run. They always look better when next to their friends.

kitzkozan

Phon's right. It looks nice once it's completed but parts of the build just don't stand up to the other modulars. The sign in particular comes together in a very strange way that makes you think it will be totally warped. It feels like the build process on that section stresses the pieces too much.

I'm slowly scaling back to just modulars & SW but this really does look incredible. Power functions will be a must...my kids will go nuts for this, and the buckets will be the perfect place to store the millions of Friends & Disney Princess mini dolls I am constantly stepping on.

I'm still on the fence with the Mixer. It looks neat but having the carousel NOT fold down is part of what makes it such an imposing looking set!

My 2015 goal is to stop buying a ton of little sets and focus on the biggies.

This is my goal as well, to focus on a couple of sets which give me plenty of bang for my bucks. :]

Right now, I'm looking at buying these before the end of the year:

B-Wing
AT-AT
rumored Hoth base?
Fairground Mixer?
Ferris Wheel?
Winter village 2015

I'll buy the bigger sets in October and November to get the promotional winter village sets and double VIP points. :]

Of course, things might change depending on the episode VII sets or if I'm tempted to buy a couple of the classic trilogy ones such as the final duel + Imperial shuttle Tydirium.

This is my goal as well, to focus on a couple of sets which give me plenty of bang for my bucks. :]

It's crazy with the retail prices here. I can get the Avengers tower and the Quinjet and maaaybe squeeze in the Ultron + Iron-Man set. Or I can get the Ferris Wheel.

Or take the Knowhere set and Hulk Lab Smash. It's those two or Palace Cinema, which is oddly underpriced compared to pretty much anything else.

Maybe it's a combination of most places around here using strict retail prices and all the medium sized sets being overpriced, while the big sets are often fairly reasonable.

Ponn

Banned
Just wow at that Ferris Wheel. That would look awesome at night with some multicolor changing led lights on the spines.

Rootbeer

Banned
Called my LEGO store to make absolutely sure of what they will have tomorrow.

At opening (not later in the day shipment):
Simpsons Series 2
Jurassic World
New architecture set

Guess I'm set. I'll be heading in to hopefully complete the Simpsons Series 2 16fig set and grab about 3 or 4 of the JW sets... still finalizing my choices on which ones. The others will wait till June or July I guess.

Frontrunners right now are:
Dilophosaurus Ambush
Raptor Rampage
Raptor Escape
T-Rex Tracker (mostly for the T-Rex, the rest I'm eehh on)

I'm fairly certain I will get all of them in time, but the Ultra Dino I might wait until after the film releases... in case I'm not a fan of what they come up with for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom