• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

Do you use one of those special printers that uses all color inks (including white) or do you just use white decal sticker paper.

currently I'm just using some shitty plain white sticker paper, usually I'd use waterslide decals but that seems like overkill for this. I'm thinking of finding a local print shop that does stickers or something akin to the LEGO stickers. I've found one places that does clear vinyl stickers, I wonder if they're any good? anyone here got any experience with that kinda stuff?

currently I'm just using some shitty plain white sticker paper, usually I'd use waterslide decals but that seems like overkill for this. I'm thinking of finding a local print shop that does stickers or something akin to the LEGO stickers. I've found one places that does clear vinyl stickers, I wonder if they're any good? anyone here got any experience with that kinda stuff?

Can't help you with the stickers but the detail in your pic is amazing. Is that a tile with Homer's head??

Love the white classic space guy.

AT-AT done!

E3wNK5Q.jpg

I really really like how this one came out, great display piece as far as i'm concerned!

I could do better with the little Snowspeeder and the snowy landscape part below it but for now i am content with how this looks in my display case :)

wetwired

ooh that one looks nice, time to trawl bricklink to see what printed pieces are available, I'd like to keep homer though cause it's funny.

fake edit> ooh I just found a cool wanted sign and a printed/sticker piece with a fingerprint and magnifying glass on it

ooh that one looks nice, time to trawl bricklink to see what printed pieces are available, I'd like to keep homer though cause it's funny.

fake edit> ooh I just found a cool wanted sign and a printed/sticker piece with a fingerprint and magnifying glass on it
Also just use the series 13 sheriff wanted poster :)

A pic of what I've been working on, still incomplete, I need to add a bit more junk around the place, maybe some stickers on 2x2 to look like X-file...files? Some chairs, I'll probably make a custom torso for Scully too. apologies for the potato quality, when it's done I'll take proper ones.

x-files1.jpg

I like the file cabinets.

Cheers, I need to fill the shelves with books and fill those display cabinets with junk to make it even more lived in and messy. I'll likely try and find some better sticker paper for the decals too as the current ones are pretty obvious. You can't really tell but I made the poster in LDD and photoshop.

Iwanttobelieve.jpg

I bet that would look good as a t-shirt. ;)

A pic of what I've been working on, still incomplete, I need to add a bit more junk around the place, maybe some stickers on 2x2 to look like X-file...files? Some chairs, I'll probably make a custom torso for Scully too. apologies for the potato quality, when it's done I'll take proper ones.

x-files1.jpg

Cheers, I need to fill the shelves with books and fill those display cabinets with junk to make it even more lived in and messy. I'll likely try and find some better sticker paper for the decals too as the current ones are pretty obvious. You can't really tell but I made the poster in LDD and photoshop.

Iwanttobelieve.jpg

To the shock of nobody, that all looks awesome. Fantastic work as usual. We expect nothing less from you.

I particularly love the file cabinets and the sideways window pieces to get the looks. I am trying to decipher how you did the cabinets and had what looks like a tiny space between each drawer. That is so cool. Oh, and hot dog lamp!

I think the only thing that looks off for me is the coats.

Are minifigure bump codes a reliable way to identify characters?

I've been having a hard time feeling out Milhouse in the Simpsons series 2...

Rootbeer

Banned
TIE Fighter delivered. Probably will build tonight.

Wow... mine is not scheduled to arrive until 5/11 :( What went wrong! A day or so later I can understand but... wow. I got the shipping notice the morning of 5/1 too.

Even so, really happy about their speedy order processing. Can't complain for free shipping. I love S@H. I think they may finally be stepping it up... which is good, because they are going to need the resources once The Force Awakens sets hit. My mouse and wallet ARE READY.

I didn't see that coming.

*rimshot*

Wow... mine is not scheduled to arrive until 5/11 :( What went wrong! A day or so later I can understand but... wow. I got the shipping notice the morning of 5/1 too.

Even so, really happy about their speedy order processing. Can't complain for free shipping. I love S@H. I think they may finally be stepping it up... which is good, because they are going to need the resources once The Force Awakens sets hit. My mouse and wallet ARE READY.

I live only 4 hours from the main LEGO shipping hub for the area. So that is why it showed up fast here.

wetwired

To the shock of nobody, that all looks awesome. Fantastic work as usual. We expect nothing less from you.

I particularly love the file cabinets and the sideways window pieces to get the looks. I am trying to decipher how you did the cabinets and had what looks like a tiny space between each drawer. That is so cool. Oh, and hot dog lamp!

I think the only thing that looks off for me is the coats.

The spaces between drawers is just a lucky accident caused by the stickers. I am going to paint the hot dog so it blends in better. I was thinking of getting rid of the trenchcoats, your comment cemented the choice for me.

The spaces between drawers is just a lucky accident caused by the stickers. I am going to paint the hot dog so it blends in better. I was thinking of getting rid of the trenchcoats, your comment cemented the choice for me.

I like the hot dog lamp. Didn't they do that in Detective Office or something? I did lamps using the small revolver pistols. It makes a bit sharper angle though, unlike the nice curve of the hot dogs.

3N16MA

Banned

x-files1.jpg

When and where can I purchase one? GAF VIP early edition.

wetwired

I like the hot dog lamp. Didn't they do that in Detective Office or something? I did lamps using the small revolver pistols. It makes a bit sharper angle though, unlike the nice curve of the hot dogs.

Simpsons house it was stolen from, I tried making my own but they all ended up too large

I live only 4 hours from the main LEGO shipping hub for the area. So that is why it showed up fast here.

I'm in Louisiana so I don't even know why mine was here that quickly.

Anyway, 2/3 of the way through the TIE, kinda got bored. Then I finished up the first wing and after seeing it my interest was reinvigorated. Just perfect.

I'm in Louisiana so I don't even know why mine was here that quickly.

Anyway, 2/3 of the way through the TIE, kinda got bored. Then I finished up the first wing and after seeing it my interest was reinvigorated. Just perfect.

I am in southern KY, so they just need to cut through TN to get to me. I am happy. No more long waits like in CT.

Simpsons house it was stolen from, I tried making my own but they all ended up too large

Ah, that was it. I knew it was in a build somewhere. It is a cool technique.

If anyone has an extra of this guy id like to buy him.
(Yularen)

If you really want it, I'd recommend going to Bricklink and picking it up in the next few weeks-the price will only go up from there.

The figure was only available from Saturday - Monday this week, so you're not likely to find folks here willing to part with one.

Finished the TIE. While not as fun to build as the Slave 1, I think the set looks better overall. The empty gaps in the back of the Slave 1 always annoyed me. Next up to get is the Red Five X-Wing.

After starting quite late, I am finished with the TIE Fighter. Took about 4 and a half hours or so. I think I shaved the time down a lot by doing all the 2x or 4x stuff at the same time instead of going back, such as building both wings simultaneously. Just make sure you have a lot of table space if you do that, because the wings get very big, very quickly.

Overall, it is a magnificent beast. The build was about as repetitive as you would expect, but there were a few really cool techniques and ideas thrown in there to throw you off a bit.
Strangely, the wings were the part that were the most fun to construct, where the cockpit was kind of boring.
The stickers were very annoying on this set, particularly the final ones that go on. Couldn't they have had me put those one before I attached the wings and obscured half the brick they were going onto? Ugh.
Thankfully, the set will still look awesome even without the stickers. It is very safe to skip them overall.

As for comparing the two UCS Star Wars sets so far this year, I am with Haloid1177. The TIE was not as fun to build as Slave 1 was, but as far as looks go this set is really tough to beat. Finally, we have a magnificently large TIE Fighter. This is a set where the end results far outweigh the average sections of the build.

Once I get some sleep I will try and get pics of all the UCS ships I have side by side for size comparisons. I do still need to rebuild UCS Imperial Shuttle. That one will still dwarf most ships.

Edit: One very cool thing about the set though is how easily you could modify it into a TIE Interceptor. I see this set and the printed dish pieces getting used in a lot of UCS TIE Mocs. Bombers and Advance Mocs will probably pop up quickly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you really want it, I'd recommend going to Bricklink and picking it up in the next few weeks-the price will only go up from there.

The figure was only available from Saturday - Monday this week, so you're not likely to find folks here willing to part with one.

I don't even want mine but I'm in the UK. Might keep it wrapped up for a few months, see what prices do. What do these characters normally go for?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Once I get some sleep I will try and get pics of all the UCS ships I have side by side for size comparisons. I do still need to rebuild UCS Imperial Shuttle. That one will still dwarf most ships.

Edit: One very cool thing about the set though is how easily you could modify it into a TIE Interceptor. I see this set and the printed dish pieces getting used in a lot of UCS TIE Mocs. Bombers and Advance Mocs will probably pop up quickly.

I was wondering about whether it would mod well to an interceptor or a TIE advanced. Looking forward to seei what the community comes up with.

I was wondering about whether it would mod well to an interceptor or a TIE advanced. Looking forward to seei what the community comes up with.
The Advanced would be harder, but the printed pieces in this would be handy.
As for an Interceptor, just make custom wings to scale and you can easily swap them to the main body. Heck, you can keep the wings in storage and swap them out whenever you feel like it.

What have been your experiences with the new Pick And Build section in the Pick-A-Brick (PAB)? I like how both names have PAB acronyms.

At my store, they let us fill PAB cups with the P&B bins, but within reason. i.e. Can't fill up any cup with all 1 item. I was very happy to hear that as there are a lot of new interesting pieces in those P&B bins. I got a ton of the printed 1x1 round tiles with printed eyes.

Anyone know how frequently they will switch those bins out? I'm guessing it will be every 4 months just like they were doing the quarterly refresh with new types of bricks in the bins.

Why anyone would buy the P&B clamshell boxes if they could get small cup and probably fill it up with several of the P&B builds easily for the price of less than 2 P&B boxes ($4.99 per box!!!). My guess is just casual buyers that don't know anything about the PAB cups.

The Brick Fan has a nice post with photos of the wall and elements.
http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-stores-introduce-pick-a-model-sets-to-pick-a-brick-wall/

EDIT: Re-read the article and it does say it's a quarterly thing so the PnB obviously replaces the quarterly PAB refresh. Now only if they will use those new small ball joints for those builds (they wont).

Experien

Did Mos Eisley for $44.99 at Target (was about $50 after taxes) and went to pick it up yesterday. Long wait but they come back with JEK's Star Fighter. I told them that wasn't the right one. They go away for awhile and come back with Mos Eisley. They said it was in the system under wrong number and said "oh, we will just cancel the transaction and re-run it for $55 so you can have the correct thing on the receipt." Had to quickly stop them and say that it was on sale and I'm not paying the higher price.

Wonder if the website didn't mean to put the Cantina on sale Monday. Regardless, I got the set for $50 so now i have two.

Ryuuroden

Finally got a couple Simpsons series 2 figs and among them was Mr. Smithers... Now, this was long overdue imo:

Warning, NSFW/L:

You had it cuming Monty!

You should probably link that

It's right on my cellphone screen on the Gaf page. Doesn't bother me, might bother others In less private spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom