• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I try to go to my cart on S@H, the page never loads. it just does the swirly circle and nothing happens. Anyone have this happen to them? Anyone know a fix?

S@H is a horrible site, at least on Opera. My computer nearly locks down every time I bring up B&P or PAB. And I constantly click on things only to have the front page reload. Extremely annoying.

Another 4 orders arrived from China. I think I have a couple more coming still. Some excellent characters and pieces in these.

I'll wait and most pics of my favorites when I have them all.

Man, the Groot big fig is a million times better than the Lego assembled version. He looks fantastic.

ghostmind

Really interesting find from Eurobricks, a news piece about the LUG that Jamie Berard was in, complete with an early version of the Ferris Wheel AND a mention that he was going to apply at Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH84fh3SF5k

Wow, thanks for sharing that! It is amazing how the public awareness of LEGO has grown since then. I'm also curious to see if any of Jamie's other fairground attractions make it to an official release in the future.

Speaking of the Brick Show - Phon (and the other members of Galaxy Squad GAF), take a look at this:

http://youtu.be/XQ70M5ufbLE

Hah! I see a Dreadnought and Hive Tyrant homage. Also love that they incorporated the Rock Raider sets which were some of my favorites growing up.

Torn on the Jurrassic World sets. The only ones I really like are the Raptor Rampage and Indominus Rex Pen. Hopefully they turn out alright.

Vargas

Wanted to pick up the Ferris Wheel at s@h but it was sold out, so I got it at the Lego store and paid the 20 dollars extra that they were charging. Also picked up the power functions.

Are there 6 Jurassic World sets or is it 7? Was one supposed to be exclusive and if so which one?

I don't see much love for these sets around here so I thought I'd highlight them.

The Hailfire set is crazy looking. I guess there have been a few of these but this is the first one I've built. It rolls very nicely and comes together well, but it feels like a very low rent set. The inclusion of the trooper is great but on the whole it doesn't feel worth the price.

The custom starfigher set on the other hand, is fantastic. There are a number of cool techniques, especially the front wings that really set the set apart. I love seeing a 400 piece set that uses every piece on a single ship as opposed to silly little adjuncts.

The careful design of the "stripes" coupled with the interesting way the cockpit attaches (never mind all of the wing folding) make this a top tier set for the price range.

OVBl3oW.jpg

Really interesting find from Eurobricks, a news piece about the LUG that Jamie Berard was in, complete with an early version of the Ferris Wheel AND a mention that he was going to apply at Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH84fh3SF5k

It's amazing how the AFOL community has grown since then. I'm so glad I came out of my dark ages during this golden age of LEGO. I always wanted to get back in and the Super Hero licenses pushed me over the edge.

Speaking of the Brick Show - Phon (and the other members of Galaxy Squad GAF), take a look at this:

Now that is the respect Galaxy Squad deserves. I dunno how I feel about the inclusion of a Kreon. I like Doctor Who references. I wish those cocoons were cheaper on Bricklink. I would have bought a ton of those. They look awesome with those lights.

That GS display is insane!!!

Quite a few MOC ships in there that could easily pass for retail GS sets, and i'd buy in a heartbeat (dat chopper etc.)

Also love the Waffle house in the midst of a gigantic war, as well as the seemingly "stuck" hyperactive Hivecrawler under that rock bridge ;)

Build the two smallest Jurassic World sets tonight.

The Pteranodon Capture set was okay. The chopper was a decent build, but the pteranodon of course was cool. Obviously he was the star of the set.

The Dilophosaurus Ambush set was much better. More figures, and some pretty cool builds in there. The spherical pod vehicle was simple but cool. I love builds where gravity keeps things going a certain way in sets. I foresee this part of the set being an unwitting cat toy in the future.
The main jeep in the set was a decent build, but with some really nice and simple cheats near the end to get the right look for the canopy of the vehicle. I am definitely going to steal some of those ideas eventually.
The dilophosaur was pretty cool too. Again, the dino is the star of the set. I do wish they had made the fins on the side of the head moveable though.

Tomorrow I build the Raptor Rampage and T-Rex Tracker sets. I went into these just wanting parts packs and more dinosaurs. I am hoping for some cool builds and surprises later. As much as I appreciated the little cheats on the dilophosaur set, it was nothing that would make me rank the set really high.

TLDR: Thus far, you buy the Jurassic World sets just to get dinosaurs.

neonglow

Build the two smallest Jurassic World sets tonight.

The Pteranodon Capture set was okay. The chopper was a decent build, but the pteranodon of course was cool. Obviously he was the star of the set.

The Dilophosaurus Ambush set was much better. More figures, and some pretty cool builds in there. The spherical pod vehicle was simple but cool. I love builds where gravity keeps things going a certain way in sets. I foresee this part of the set being an unwitting cat toy in the future.
The main jeep in the set was a decent build, but with some really nice and simple cheats near the end to get the right look for the canopy of the vehicle. I am definitely going to steal some of those ideas eventually.
The dilophosaur was pretty cool too. Again, the dino is the star of the set. I do wish they had made the fins on the side of the head moveable though.

Tomorrow I build the Raptor Rampage and T-Rex Tracker sets. I went into these just wanting parts packs and more dinosaurs. I am hoping for some cool builds and surprises later. As much as I appreciated the little cheats on the dilophosaur set, it was nothing that would make me rank the set really high.

TLDR: Thus far, you buy the Jurassic World sets just to get dinosaurs.

If only sets with dinosaurs and super hero minifigures together were a thing. Then we could completely ignore all the other pieces.

Why do you think they'll be on 1 year cycles? That would be great as that would mean new sets sooner but 1 year sounds unlikely.
We just don't know yet. Here are some scenarios we've imagined.

1) They have each set last 2 years. That way when a new set comes out (Ferris Wheel, Kwik-E-Mart) is boosts sales of the previous sets (Mixer, Simpsons House).

2) Each set lasts 1 year, makes it more of a limited collector's item, is replaced when the new set comes out the following year.

Either way I'm sure we'll find out soon enough since both the Ferris Wheel and the K-E-M just came out and if their predecessors get discontinued, it'll happen in the next few months I'd guess?

Ponn

Banned
Nope, sorry. I'm sticking to just the super hero bootlegs. I have not gone off into other themes yet.

Ah well thanks anyways. I watch some of Digger's youtube vids and they look ok so I think i will spring for them. If nothing else the zombies look ok to use for Halloween scenes. I need to get that pack with Collector, Bane and Daredevil. I was also going to get the one with Modok, Taskmaster and Falcon but I ended up ordering an AWD Hulk Lab set for $39. Not the one listed as no figs, I chickened out on that one.

Excuse me for the OT, but I just wanted to gloat over the fact that the first edition of my card game has arrived:

avdank_hand.jpg

It's probably not of too much interest to you (until we make a translated version!) but I just wanted to show it off.

To keep it on topic, there is totally a bunch of Lego hiding behind the red cloth.

You should cross posted in GAF Boardgames. That's awesome.

We just don't know yet. Here are some scenarios we've imagined.

1) They have each set last 2 years. That way when a new set comes out (Ferris Wheel, Kwik-E-Mart) is boosts sales of the previous sets (Mixer, Simpsons House).

2) Each set lasts 1 year, makes it more of a limited collector's item, is replaced when the new set comes out the following year.

Either way I'm sure we'll find out soon enough since both the Ferris Wheel and the K-E-M just came out and if their predecessors get discontinued, it'll happen in the next few months I'd guess?

It kind of makes sense. I'm hoping it's true. With all these new sets coming out, I would imagine they will need to retire sets sooner as there's only a limited amount of shelf space in the stores.

kitzkozan

I'm biased, but these mocs look damn good. :D It just illustrate how solid the design was across the GS line in general and why it's the best modern space line imo. Jang recently reviewed the Mars mission set #7690 which he disliked and it represent the inconsistency of the line. Mars mission and Alien conquest mixed great sets along with poorly made ones imo, but GS mostly featured cool looking space vehicles with interesting building techniques (the weakest set is possibly the star slicer, which is still decent because it's inspired by a praying mantis).

ghostmind

That JANG Ferris Wheel review is great, and I'm sure the set would make my "Best of 2015" list, if I wasn't Star Wars exclusive. That said, this set is already testing my resolve.

I already made my concert stage to fit a bunch of figures and break up the skyline, but this will be a perfect bookend to my city. Those gondolas will be great for random figures.

Good thing I just made room for more buildings.

kitzkozan

That JANG Ferris Wheel review is great, and I'm sure the set would make my "Best of 2015" list, if I wasn't Star Wars exclusive. That said, this set is already testing my resolve.

Ferris wheel and the detective office are almost lock to be top 5 sets right? I'm guessing the Hulkbuster set is the new Lex power armor so another top 5 candidate? The UCS Slave 1 is possibly top 5 worthy as well. There's still so many sets which could potentially be great including the Scooby Doo line and SW episode VII (and the upcoming summer wave). Add the Elves line which is very solid for a "girl" line, CITY sub theme such as deep sea and a possible UCS SW Hoth base.

Rootbeer

Banned
TIE Advanced Prototype 30275 Polybag at TRU today! I don't think they received a truck today... so it might have been there for a couple days. Hit yours up if you want one.

As with many of these TRU polybags... I'm sure we are going to see a "buy X dollars of Star Wars LEGO and get this polybag free" promo in June. But since I'll be getting my SW LEGO sets from LEGO direct...

TIE Advanced Prototype 30275 Polybag at TRU today! I don't think they received a truck today... so it might have been there for a couple days. Hit yours up if you want one.

As with many of these TRU polybags... I'm sure we are going to see a "buy X dollars of Star Wars LEGO and get this polybag free" promo in June. But since I'll be getting my SW LEGO sets from LEGO direct...

I found them too. I bought Raptor Rampage and got a free Electro. A super nice mom was buying some friends and juniors sets for her daughter and gave me her Electro freebie so I've got 2.

So I bought the Green Lantern set and realized I now have pretty much all the figures for the Justice League (Green Lantern, Super Man, Bat Man, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman) and it made me realize that to get the last Avenger I don't have (Black Widow) I would have to purchase a $60+ set, but I think the most expensive JL member set was the one with the Flash.

Why the eff does Lego make it so expensive to get the Black Widow?

Rootbeer

Banned
I found them too. I bought Raptor Rampage and got a free Electro. A super nice mom was buying some friends and juniors sets for her daughter and gave me her Electro freebie so I've got 2.

Super nice. I have lots of fun encounters with people at toy stores. Never received any free LEGO though :p Very good!
So I bought the Green Lantern set and realized I now have pretty much all the figures for the Justice League (Green Lantern, Super Man, Bat Man, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman) and it made me realize that to get the last Avenger I don't have (Black Widow) I would have to purchase a $60+ set, but I think the most expensive JL member set was the one with the Flash.

I understand the frustration but I think you should take the hit on this. Get the new Quinjet to get yourself a Widow, and you'll also get Vision, Ultimate Ultron (I think this is his final form in the film?) and updated versions of Cap & Iron Man... plus a great ship to display them with :D You can hold off for a sale or promo... ~$50 is doable with some luck or good timing probably before Christmas sometime.

I'm biased, but these mocs look damn good. :D It just illustrate how solid the design was across the GS line in general and why it's the best modern space line imo. Jang recently reviewed the Mars mission set #7690 which he disliked and it represent the inconsistency of the line. Mars mission and Alien conquest mixed great sets along with poorly made ones imo, but GS mostly featured cool looking space vehicles with interesting building techniques (the weakest set is possibly the star slicer, which is still decent because it's inspired by a praying mantis).

Star Slicer may be the only one of Galaxy Squad sets I don't have. Might be in my backlog though. I loved the look of Warp Stinger, but as good as that set looked, it was terrible for play or swooshing.

That is LEGO's business model. They are in business to sell bricks and they know people will buy sets for the minifigs so they always have one or more "exclusive" minifigs in the middle to high priced sets.

I consider the $20 super hero sets as "gifts" from LEGO where they actually give you a lot of minifigs at a good price. Even the $25 ones are pretty great. $25 for Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, Superman, and Brainiac!

Even more bootlegs arrived today. I swear, this has got to be it. Maybe 1 more depending on what came in today. I'll post some pics later. It's an extremely impressive haul. There's just. so. many.

Just built the Raptor Rampage set. Meh. Some good parts to use for MOCs later, but the build was just a fairly pedestrian vehicle. I did like the way the axles go in though to get it high off the ground. But outside of that, the build is pretty standard.

Once again, the dinosaurs are the stars of the set. Although the head on the dark green raptor is a bit off because of the way the colors just end starkly on the neck. I know the muzzle is supposed to hide that, but still. I don't want no muzzles on my dinosaurs unless it is a laser cannon or something.

Tonight after Mad Max, I will build the T-Rex Tracker. And also fight the urge not to build a lot of Mad Max inspired vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom