• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Now Boba Fett needs a ship...

One minifig in a $25 set leads to purchasing a $200+ set so you can find a home for it. That is the world of LEGO.

Stop tempting me LEGOGAF!
I'm pretty much sold on 60096: Deep Sea Operations Base and I'm wavering on 60095: Deep Sea Exploration Vessel. I will not pay full price on those though. I will only be tempted if they hit 30% off or more. :) That's where I draw the
temporary
line.

You could have always just gotten UCS Slave 1. I believe Boba Fett in that set has some unique printing (on arms or something).

Printing on the arms, improved detail on the torso/legs, and print on the cape. Overall a better minifig but I still think the Desert Skiff Boba is one of the best Star Wars minifigs.

Ponn

Banned
Ok, so wow today looked up a bit for me. I now have a golden ticket of about $350 to spend at S@H on june 1st. I have some choices but unfortunately this may be last major purchase for awhile. Any extra money I get from here on out will be saved for the Scooby Doo sets in Aug.

Here are my two choices, what does LegoGAF think.

Helicarrier - I know its met some resistance for several good reasons but since i've always been a major Supehero collector i've been drooling over this set for months. I really, REALLY want this bad boy.

Ferris Wheel and Pet Shop - I really want the Ferris Wheel to, honestly my heart is torn between Ferris Wheel and Helicarrier.

I already have a feeling what you all are going to say.

Kito

I finally found a Tesco with the new minifig series, and they only had a few stray packets. Vultures.

I hate you Poms.
So damn jealous.

I googled it and these polybags don't reach AUS/NZ‽ Too late for the Joker but if you're interested in any upcoming Daily Mail polybag, I can pick one up for you.

Ok, so wow today looked up a bit for me. I now have a golden ticket of about $350 to spend at S@H on june 1st. I have some choices but unfortunately this may be last major purchase for awhile. Any extra money I get from here on out will be saved for the Scooby Doo sets in Aug.

Helicarrier - I know its met some resistance for several good reasons but since i've always been a major Supehero collector i've been drooling over this set for months. I really, REALLY want this bad boy.

Ferris Wheel and Pet Shop - I really want the Ferris Wheel to, honestly my heart is torn between Ferris Wheel and Helicarrier.

You have time on Helicarrier and Ferris Wheel. Time is very short for Pet Shop though.

Save Helicarrier for double vip.

3N16MA

Banned
I agree with Phon, get PS as it looks like its time is coming to an end. If you're set on getting Ferris Wheel now buy it along with PS to fit your $350 budget.

Hellicarrier can be purchased after the Scooby Doo sets or whenever it fits your budget.

I googled it and these polybags don't reach AUS/NZ‽ Too late for the Joker but if you're interested in any upcoming Daily Mail polybag, I can pick one up for you.

Yeah I haven't seen anything like this reach AUS. :( I think the Joker and the Police Chopper would have been the only ones I would have gone after. Both have passed though. Thanks for the offer though mate. :)

So this Lego adventure time ideas project just reached 10,000 supporters. I'm in love with this and hope it becomes an official product. It really manages to capture that 'adventure time' feel perfectly with Lego. Also its unique in that its representing characters with actual Lego bricks instead of minifigures, a thing Lego doesn't do very often. That Lich figure is pure genius. Love the Marceline one too.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/93648
1776915-o_19d01afui6jdqvm1jlm1lmj1e1n7-full.jpg

So this Lego adventure time ideas project just reached 10,000 supporters. I'm in love with this and hope it becomes an official product. It really manages to capture that 'adventure time' feel perfectly with Lego. Also its unique in that its representing characters with actual Lego bricks instead of minifigures, a thing Lego doesn't do very often. That Lich figure is pure genius. Love the Marceline one too.

Lemongrab looks even creepier than usual, Gunther looks cute though...

I definitely think that project has a good chance of being made. I think it will be more a matter if they come to licensing agreement. I hope that gets made, then LEGO actually has an official theme (similar to Minecraft) with actual minifigs and some new moulds. :)

Adventure Time is very popular and it crosses over into adults as well. That project embodies LEGO being brick built and captures the characters very well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Heli carrier. Sounds like it is more up your street. Also I assume the ferris wheel will be around for longer - and I'm not a fan anyway :p

If you're worried about the pet shop going out of production and you have all the other modulars, you can buy mine later on as I am paring down to mainly SW ships and select other models like the VW Camper and tower bridge

Ponn

Banned
Heli carrier. Sounds like it is more up your street. Also I assume the ferris wheel will be around for longer - and I'm not a fan anyway :p

If you're worried about the pet shop going out of production and you have all the other modulars, you can buy mine later on as I am paring down to mainly SW ships and select other models like the VW Camper and tower bridge

Thanks for the responses guys Yes Helicarrier is the one I really want. I'm hesitant about Pet Shop because i'm still undecided on modulars, I keep waffling back and forth. i made a decision to dip my toes in Star Wars knowing full well I wouldn't be able to get into modulars. I just can't afford to collect both and Superheroes and the occasional line like Scooby Doo and yearly carnival and Winter sets. It's just too much and I have to draw a hard line somewhere.

edit; AAAAAAAND I just spotted yet another set I had my eyes on I completely forgot about was coming out. In Jang's haul video he picked up that new Creator Jet. Great....*starts crying*

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah I saw that ToyTesters.tv video immediately after posting the other video, just didn't feel like editing it.

I'm glad you guys are excited. I might impulse buy some, but after the first four waves (all of which I own, with duplicates of a few) I'm not really itching to have more at this point unless they do something very different.

Oh right, the new Friends stuff is around the corner as well... with an explosion of new parts. The window inset for the 6 stud arch, the modified 1x1 with a little curly detail, the 1x1 round tile with a short rod...

Hmmm, there's an airport AND the separate private jet coming for Friends?

I'm in the middle of a build and I just made another two Bricklink orders for misc parts. It never ends.

ghostmind

Friends is KILLING IT this summer/fall, between the Popstar subtheme, the Grand Hotel, and now the Airport.

CITY needs to hang its head in shame, other than the Deepsea Exploration subtheme, which is the only standout for me.

Friends is KILLING IT this summer/fall, between the Popstar subtheme, the Grand Hotel, and now the Airport.

CITY needs to hang its head in shame, other than the Deepsea Exploration subtheme, which is the only standout for me.

I never expect anything from City, it's just fire/police/some manly thing like construction or mining, over and over, ad nauseum. Creator buildings and Friends are where you find interesting stuff.

Toxi

Banned
Wow. I packed the VW Camper Van in a suitcase for my flight from Chicago, expecting to have to put together a bunch of broken pieces when I got home.

Not a single part broke or fell off. The Camper Van survived a carry-on flight completely intact. This Lego set is made of Nintendium.

Agreed, CITY just keeps falling into the same rut most of the time. At least the Deepsea subtheme looks promising. Most of their other subthemes are just fire police...just with a twist! They need to explore other options, like a zoo subtheme for example.

Ponn

Banned
Spaceport is really expensive for just 586 pieces.

I'm both happy and sad. Happy I don't have another big set to buy, sad because when I first heard about that I was really hoping for a space shuttle like the one I missed from some years ago. With NASA almost defunct i'm afraid that will never happen now.

I'm both happy and sad. Happy I don't have another big set to buy, sad because when I first heard about that I was really hoping for a space shuttle like the one I missed from some years ago. With NASA almost defunct i'm afraid that will never happen now.
LEGO should do SpaceX stuff.

Or shelve the City theme for a year and do a Future City or Space City.

What I'm saying is: more Space. Space.

SPACE!

Rootbeer

Banned
Spaceport is really expensive for just 586 pieces.

It's an easy skip for me. Nice but LEGO can't keep inflating their prices like this. Gotta vote with my wallet, especially on city sets which tend to be overpriced to begin with considering they are unlicensed.

City should have baseline pricing that makes it easily accessible. This is definitely not that. And I get tired of the "large pieces = higher prices" arguments. These piece still literally cost pennies. And they aren't that large.

Just save that money to put towards September Star Wars sets :)

Lucked out again. I found a complete 4730-Chamber of Secrets and 4728-Escape from Privet Drive for $14. I also bought a small mixed bag that had some really old bricks with a different feel and Lego logo for $3. I'll post some pics later as they are neat.

Picked up the Juniors Spider-Man and Venom set just for the two of them.

Current waiting for some Kragle to dry so I can suspend Spidey upside down from his web.

*thwip*

Here are the old bricks I found at a thrift store:

I also took steps to start a Buffalo NY LUG. I'm thinking of holding meetings twice a month--one for AFOLs and one for kids and parents.

Has anyone started a LUG from scratch?

Here are the old bricks I found at a thrift store:

I also took steps to start a Buffalo NY LUG. I'm thinking of holding meetings twice a month--one for AFOLs and one for kids and parents.

Has anyone started a LUG from scratch?

No, but there is not one in southern Kentucky. I am thinking of starting one and am curious how to go about it.

No, but there is not one in southern Kentucky. I am thinking of starting one and am curious how to go about it.

My neighborhood has a community association so I'm partnering with them to get the word out. I'm contacting some possible venues to see if they will donate space for the meetings too.

I was thinking of asking GAF to help with a logo design, but after that Beehive foods thread I have some reservations.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks for the responses guys Yes Helicarrier is the one I really want. I'm hesitant about Pet Shop because i'm still undecided on modulars, I keep waffling back and forth. i made a decision to dip my toes in Star Wars knowing full well I wouldn't be able to get into modulars. I just can't afford to collect both and Superheroes and the occasional line like Scooby Doo and yearly carnival and Winter sets. It's just too much and I have to draw a hard line somewhere.

edit; AAAAAAAND I just spotted yet another set I had my eyes on I completely forgot about was coming out. In Jang's haul video he picked up that new Creator Jet. Great....*starts crying*

Ignore modulars. If you're undecided that is a good enough reason to not start down that rabbit hole. Plus you'll already have missed a bunch of them. Yes they're nice sets,but so are lots of other ones. Go with the themes that really grab you and focus on those. As much as I love this thread, it is very easy for it to recommend buying everything.

I loved building the modulars, and even brick linked the pieces for one. But when my son grew out of lego and stopped letting me use his room to display modular street, I realised i had to choose between them or my big SW ships and expert creator stuff like VW Camper and tower bridge. The modulars lost, so now they're broken down and I'll probably sell them to fund more of what I really want.

Ponn

Banned
Ignore modulars. If you're undecided that is a good enough reason to not start down that rabbit hole. Plus you'll already have missed a bunch of them. Yes they're nice sets,but so are lots of other ones. Go with the themes that really grab you and focus on those. As much as I love this thread, it is very easy for it to recommend buying everything.

I loved building the modulars, and even brick linked the pieces for one. But when my son grew out of lego and stopped letting me use his room to display modular street, I realised i had to choose between them or my big SW ships and expert creator stuff like VW Camper and tower bridge. The modulars lost, so now they're broken down and I'll probably sell them to fund more of what I really want.

Thanks for that. It is hard, especially with my ocd nature to get caught up in a hobby and want everything. It's why i had to eventually stop with the Transformers collecting. I'm trying to keep it in check by limiting myself to only a couple themes, and then with themes like star wars specifically only ships.

Ant Man set being spotted at TRU!

Stay strong... remember the Winter Soldier minifig promo on June 1st :3

That does come out June 1st. Brick Show had the only review so far but again it looks like yet another awesome $20 set. I also need that Juniors Green Goblin set. It's $30 but I think the bonus is there is no stickers in that set.

Osahi

Just finished building the detective's office. What an awesome set! Lots of littly detail and cool building techniques. It's a beauty too.

The last floor and roof was maybe a tad less interesting (though you discover the cool techniques there), but that is mostly due to the first two being so packed with detail and little secrets.

I've got three modulars now. Only one that's missing is the pet shop (of those still available), but after watching some videos I'll probably pass on that one. It looks cool from the outside, but it is such a shame the interiour is so barren, apart from the shop itself. Compared to Parisian Restaurant and DO...

leng jai

Just finished building the detective's office. What an awesome set! Lots of littly detail and cool building techniques. It's a beauty too.

The last floor and roof was maybe a tad less interesting (though you discover the cool techniques there), but that is mostly due to the first two being so packed with detail and little secrets.

I've got three modulars now. Only one that's missing is the pet shop (of those still available), but after watching some videos I'll probably pass on that one. It looks cool from the outside, but it is such a shame the interiour is so barren, apart from the shop itself. Compared to Parisian Restaurant and DO...

Most of the older modulars have disappointing interiors aside from the Fire Brigade.

ruxtpin

Banned
After seeing Fury Road I wish Lego had the ability to do a line of vehicles from the movie. I know it's impossible given the subject matter, but I'm terrible at building cars and trucks.

My neighborhood has a community association so I'm partnering with them to get the word out. I'm contacting some possible venues to see if they will donate space for the meetings too.

I was thinking of asking GAF to help with a logo design, but after that Beehive foods thread I have some reservations.

If you ask GAF for a logo, it is all about how you ask for it. The problem with the Beehive Foods fiasco and others like it was that the OP was condescending and dismissive of artists. That is what got him in trouble. It was also that he was going to be using the logo that he originally had no intention of paying for for a for profit company. He was basically going to profit off of someone else's work that "could be done quickly in an afternoon."

Now, if you make a thread and are very upfront about not being able to pay but also telling everyone it is just for a community meet up that isn't going to profit in any way (except maybe LEGO discounts), things will probably go well. It is basically just going to be an online organized LEGO group that occasionally meets in person.

The key to those threads is how you present the information and how you treat the artists.

But I feel you should make a logo in Lego Digital Designer or build one and photograph it. :)

Ant Man set being spotted at TRU!

Stay strong... remember the Winter Soldier minifig promo on June 1st :3

I will not go looking for Ant Man today.

Great Scott!

After seeing Fury Road I wish Lego had the ability to do a line of vehicles from the movie. I know it's impossible given the subject matter, but I'm terrible at building cars and trucks.

I know! Since seeing the movie last thursday all I can think about is building some crazy vehicles. I haven't started yet, but have been brainstorming how to make a Polecat vehicle and strap some figures to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom