• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping to do a forest scene on the weekend and photograph it with dry ice for mist. I can't see myself having the time. So I was thinking get of just taking nice photos of what I have this weekend and uploading it maybe Sunday. What do you think? Is what I have enough for now? The forest scene I considered more of a thing to promote it and less a part of the main submission.

Definitely enough. You still need more promo stuff down the road. :D

Zerojul

Very LTTP but Wetwired's X-Files creation is absolutely amazing. Lego Done right, fantastic job.
I firmly believe you have another winner here, and will do my part to promote it once it's up on Ideas.

Yeah, you don't really see that many open vignettes like Mulder's office nowadays in official sets, so i can't wait to see how Lego would chose to handle the exterior parts of this one if it were made into an actual set.

edit: just remembered you DO see stuff like that in the friends line all the time with their bakeries, hair salons etc. hmmm but then those are finished buildings on the outside/backside and usually ONE type of building only, not an office within a bigger structure like this one.

Yeah, you don't really see that many open vignettes like Mulder's office nowadays in official sets, so i can't wait to see how Lego would chose to handle the exterior parts of this one if it were made into an actual set.

edit: just remembered you DO see stuff like that in the friends line all the time with their bakeries, hair salons etc. hmmm but then those are finished buildings on the outside/backside and usually ONE type of building only, not an office within a bigger structure like this one.

It would just be a larger version of their holiday themed vignettes from this year I would think. It would make a great desk decoration. :)

ghostmind

60098 Heavy Haul Train

7wRT0WW.jpg

Moral of my story, tear your meniscus and get yourselves a Ferris Wheel.

Sounds painful! Glad to hear that you're getting it looked after. I hope the blacking out thing isn't a regular occurrence...scary.

I was hoping to do a forest scene on the weekend and photograph it with dry ice for mist. I can't see myself having the time. So I was thinking get of just taking nice photos of what I have this weekend and uploading it maybe Sunday. What do you think? Is what I have enough for now? The forest scene I considered more of a thing to promote it and less a part of the main submission.

You've definitely got enough for a pretty quick climb to 10,000 IMO. The pics are well-lit, they do a great job of conveying the feel of the show's iconic office & frankly you've had success before so all of the blogs will likely feature your submission.

60098 Heavy Haul Train

wish I had room to do a train setup :/ I could do a tiny little oval rail I guess...

I saw that train on some overseas online shop a few days ago-for some reason I thought it had already leaked. I would love to do a full train setup but I don't have a big enough table. I've got a fairly dedicated LEGO room already but the kids rip everything apart so quickly that I would fear for the train's life.

Eh i do have the table for a somewhat big train setup BUT it is reserved for my modular city + surrounding wildlife area + beach, sea (island included). Of course this is all in my head so far :(

IMO, it will be an open vignette display/playset. I'm sure that's what they are doing for "The Big Bang Theory". It will be just like a regular "set" they use for TV and Movies. Great for display and still playable as you act out scenes from the show. The fun of building those sets will be more for details and furnishings.

Trying to do a classic OT Stormtrooper variants display next, but now i wonder, what other kinds ARE there actually?

I mean sure, the basic Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, Sandtrooper( and their officers with orange armcoat) comes to mind but are there more in the OT that i forget? Keep in mind i am going for the samish look, so nothing too outlandish.

Maybe one of the resident SW buffs can chime in (looking at you Ghostmind, Jables etc.)

edit: found another: the Scouttrooper, DOH.

ghostmind

I would consider the Shadowtrooper to be OT, though more classic EU than the rest. The most recent revision just came out in a Battle Pack at the beginning of the year.

Also the recent Stormtrooper Sergeant polybag, but that is more of the Rebels-look.

I would consider the Shadowtrooper to be OT, though more classic EU than the rest. The most recent revision just came out in a Battle Pack at the beginning of the year.

Also the recent Stormtrooper Sergeant polybag, but that is more of the Rebels-look.

Right, i have seen the Shadowtrooper set in a store, they are those sexy chrome look ones right?

Thing is, where do these guys actually show up in the OT? I do not want to consider the EU for this display. I may do a separate one with clone stuff and Rebels and whatnot later on...

Ponn

Banned
Sounds painful! Glad to hear that you're getting it looked after. I hope the blacking out thing isn't a regular occurrence...scary.

Thanks. Unfortunately it is from a heart condition. Sometimes i'm not quick enough to sense one coming on and prepare.

Helicarrier delivered, don't think I will get to it till tomorrow though. damn its a huge box. I would say about the size of the sea cow box but maybe a little thicker. I've been sorting all day. That feeling you get when all your sorting drawers are almost full and you realize you have only gone through one box and have two more to go. This was not my intention to get to this point when I started back into Lego a couple years ago. Lego-GAF is a huge enabler, but I love it here.

Right, i have seen the Shadowtrooper set in a store, they are those sexy chrome look ones right?

Thing is, where do these guys actually show up in the OT? I do not want to consider the EU for this display. I may do a separate one with clone stuff and Rebels and whatnot later on...
I looked them up when I bought the Shadowtrooper troop builder and afaik they are EU. I think they are technically Shadow Stormtroopers, at least from what I found on Wookieepedia.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowtrooper
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Trooper
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_shadow_trooper
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_stormtrooper

Ryuuroden

Very LTTP but Wetwired's X-Files creation is absolutely amazing. Lego Done right, fantastic job.
I firmly believe you have another winner here, and will do my part to promote it once it's up on Ideas.

someday I need to put together something small for Ideas. Wonder if I should put aquarium adventure up there.

wetwired

Well I uploaded it to Ideas last night, here's the pics I used. Please don't share outside Gaf, this is the only place I've posted them. I'll watermark them with the ideas link and share them more fully if it managed to even get it on ideas.

X1.jpg

X2.jpg

X3.jpg

X4.jpg
X5.jpg

X6.jpg

X7.jpg

X8.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Well I uploaded it to Ideas last night, here's the pics I used. Please don't share outside Gaf, this is the only place I've posted them. I'll watermark them with the ideas link and share them more fully if it managed to even get it on ideas.

Pretty confident that will make it to judging. Another great set and perfect size for one they would make it into a set. I really wouldn't be surprised if they offered you a position. The question is would you take it? I just could never get into X-files when it was airing and I don't know why, it was right up my alley. I should give it another try.

Can't wait to support it. I think you may have answered it before, but how'd you do the open filing cabinet?

I have 6 actually but one is in a frame with the rest of that series. Whatever series it was I bought a few boxes worth. I sold off the sets and spares and kept the aliens :)

Thanks for sharing! Feel privileged we get to see them first here on LEGOGAF.

P.S. Those classic aliens are one of my favorite CMF's I was glad the demand for those weren't very high. I was able to accumulate a bunch via BrickLink.

wetwired

Pretty confident that will make it to judging. Another great set and perfect size for one they would make it into a set. I really wouldn't be surprised if they offered you a position. The question is would you take it? I just could never get into X-files when it was airing and I don't know why, it was right up my alley. I should give it another try.

I am Co founder of my own games studio so at this point I'd have to say no. Who knows what the future holds though. The first 4 seasons are great and unlike some shows it starts strong. After season 4 it goes down hill pretty quickly.

Can't wait to support it. I think you may have answered it before, but how'd you do the open filing cabinet?
I'll have to take a picture as it's hard to explain. It doesn't hold up quite as well from the other side

X1.jpg

X2.jpg

X3.jpg

X4.jpg
X5.jpg

X6.jpg

X7.jpg

X8.jpg

Everything is awesome. Seriously awesome. I think this one will be quick to pass 10k since X-Files love is riding high right now.

Here's the pic
filingcabinet.jpg

As you can see it kind falls apart a bit from this side but against a wall it's fine

Awesome. And I can't think of a way to pull off that side and have it closed without extending it a stud. The file cabinets really are great.

mrkgoo

That's amazing wetwired.

It always boggles my mind how some of you have so much lego... (To be able to build what ever you want, limited only by imagination - sometimes it feels time and wallet are my limitations :( )

Ryuuroden

That's amazing wetwired.

It always boggles my mind how some of you have so much lego... (To be able to build what ever you want, limited only by imagination - sometimes it feels time and wallet are my limitations :( )

Not really, it took 3 Bricklink orders to make this happen

Yeah, my Orthanc took over 100 bricklink orders and btw on that topic. I officially finished Orthanc 15 minutes ago. Going to set it up for pictures outside this weekend.

This is about as much as I've seen JANG not like a set:

http://youtu.be/2Wu71AM3rhA

Another swing-and-a-miss from the Spaceport subtheme.

Looks fine to me for the lower age range it is targeting of which the lowest age is 5. For the upper age range, it is definitely lame. The plane looks very swooshable. I can imagine a very young kid enjoying that set.

I'm curious how well these "kiddyfied" themes like that sell in general. I recall the general sentiment here for the recent Castle theme was the same. I didn't mind the recent kiddy Castle theme too much because LoTR and The Hobbit was around to satisfy the more mature audience. At least we got a cool dragon from the kiddy Castle theme.

EDIT: I looked back at the older City Space theme and they also had about the same age range. This recent set definitely leans to the lower to mid age range.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/subtheme-Space
http://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/subtheme-Space-Port

EDIT 2: Looking closely the Space Shuttle looks very similar between the two sub-themes. It's curvier since they use a difference piece for the hull. I would say the more recent Space Shuttle looks much better based on pictures.

I think 60079-1: Training Jet Transporter looks fine. Looks like a truck to me, just doesn't look like a fun build.

The Transporter set looks like it was made in 1995. There's plenty of weird design choices, like why not have a 2x2 sloped plate to smooth out the nose of the jet? It just looks unfinished.

The Transporter set looks like it was made in 1995. There's plenty of weird design choices, like why not have a 2x2 sloped plate to smooth out the nose of the jet? It just looks unfinished.

I agree about the nose of the jet. A 2x2 tile would even work. I was thinking exactly the same think that the set looks retro, hence the blockiness and studliness.

rGFrJXo.jpg

paNTFjJ.jpg

Best Star get! Found it at a garage sale of all places. Looks complete with most or all minifigs.

Me when I saw it: "that's no moon. It's a space station."

Me to the seller: "Where are those transmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans?"

Seller: "the instruction book? I've got that inside. "

Best Star get! Found it at a garage sale of all places. Looks complete with most or all minifigs.

Me to the seller: "Where are those transmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans?"

Of course the only TRUE way to check for completeness of the Best Star is to...count all the pieces!!!

Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom