• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Bang Theory?!? So bought!

As for the ones that they will be reviewing later, I know the UCS AT-AT won't make it (although I would love that!) but I think the lightsabers, Wall-E and Ghostbusters HQ have a great shot.

Experien

I am shocked...I am really surprised it wasn't Doctor Who this time around. The birds look cool and I am anxious for TBBT cause a big-ish apartment setting might be fun.

Lightsabers almost seems like a shoe-in but you know that Doctor Who will be in it next time around :/

Fowler

I am shocked...I am really surprised it wasn't Doctor Who this time around. The birds look cool and I am anxious for TBBT cause a big-ish apartment setting might be fun.

Lightsabers almost seems like a shoe-in but you know that Doctor Who will be in it next time around :/

I wonder if LEGO's Star Wars license allows them to make "life size" lightsabers, or whether that particular part of the license belongs to someone else.

Experien

I wonder if LEGO's Star Wars license allows them to make "life size" lightsabers, or whether that particular part of the license belongs to someone else.

That is a good question...Master Replicas use to do them but they kind of went away and they stay in it. I'm sure Disney has most, if not all the rights to everything Star Wars.

Hmm... not too excited for either of them, but I may pick up TBBT if it has some cool new printed pieces.

Hyped for Doctor Who possibility, though I would love to see almost any of the January review sets get made.

I was surprised they made such a specific announcement about the possibility of a Doctor Who set. I suspect this means that there are licensing considerations rather than the viability of the set itself.

I'm not crazy about either choice this round, but I'll likely get them.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
WOW. Both are terrible choices from the options IMO.

That is a good question...Master Replicas use to do them but they kind of went away and they stay in it. I'm sure Disney has most, if not all the rights to everything Star Wars.

eFX has taken over where Master Replicas left off, but they haven't released any lightsaber prop replica hilts in a while (since the Luke ROTJ Reveal). They have the license, but I'm not sure if Lego making 1:1 replicas of the hilts would infringe on that or not.

Ponn

Banned
I'm really starting to think they are intentionally holding some sets up "for review" so they can sneak them into periods where the choices for them are ones they don't want to do. You know the bigger sets and modular type buildings they would never so they need the smaller sets.

At least this round I did really like the birds and will get that set.

Big bang theory.

This is a thing that people voted to turn into a lego set.

I've already come to terms with the fact that enough people find that mess funny to keep them in business, but this is bizarre and surprising. What a shame.

I'll probably skip the birds, but I'm in for The Big Bang Theory. I can't believe it's actually getting made.

I really wanted a Doctor Who set. I'm glad they're possibly still considering it. I wonder if the license that C3 has for their Dr. Who LEGO knockoffs is expiring soon or something and that's why it's still "under consideration"

Big bang theory.

This is a thing that people voted to turn into a lego set.

I've already come to terms with the fact that enough people find that mess funny to keep them in business, but this is bizarre and surprising. What a shame.

Lego is a company, BBT prints money. Easy to understand why they would do it.

And yeah, people find BBT fun, I do.

Any minifigure bag experts here with advice for me? I'm trying to get the Space Miner from series 12, they have a literal ton of bags at my local store so I'm trying to figure out how to get two miners without looking like a creep feeling up bags lol...

Latest Lego Ideas review results are up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiX7Q5_TTjo

I'm happy for the bird project. Not something I'm super interested in, but it's nice to see nicely built MOCs that are non-IP related get made.

I'm surprised about the Big Bang Theory. I think it sets a good precedence for future submissions. Even if I don't watch the show, I will get the set most likely. It will be a great parts pack and the minifigs can easily be repurposed/resused.

I feel all LEGO Idea sets that have been chosen embody the spirit of LEGO Ideas. First, they all received the set number of votes which isn't easy. Also, part of LEGO Ideas it is to attract non-LEGO people to LEGO. There are some submissions I wish made it through, but I don't think any that have been chosen shouldn't have. Not everything will appeal to everyone or a large audience.

Fingers crossed Doctor Who gets made and possible becomes a theme like Minecraft did.

Any minifigure bag experts here with advice for me? I'm trying to get the Space Miner from series 12, they have a literal ton of bags at my local store so I'm trying to figure out how to get two miners without looking like a creep feeling up bags lol...

It has the armor which is extremely bulky compared to the rest. I you laid all the packs out, I could eliminate most non Space Miners just by looking at the packs. You'll still have to feel the pack, but you won't have to grope it lovingly for a long time to identify the part.

Check for the tip of the drill.

I've been thinking about how much I would love for something like Futurama get made, but the reality is it probably never will.

Seeing Big Bang Theory get selected had me thinking, it would be awesome if LEGO created a new line called LEGO Collectibles or something. Basically it would be like those POP! figures or Minimates. Make a bunch of minifigs that cater to niche markets. Unlikely, but I won't give up hope. It only took 30+ years for my dream of Super Hero minifigs to come true.

PSA:

Hobbit elf polybag for MSRP price (shipping is what will get you though).

http://brickset.com/article/12966

tn_30212-1_jpg.jpg

Lego Ideas are now just releasing whatever they want. The review period is becoming a bit of a joke. We'll see 3 projects come out of the one review. Though we probably shouldn't be complaining about that, I guess.

Birds project doesn't interest me and I wouldn't touch Big Bang Theory with a ten foot pole.

Surely Wall-E has it in the bag next review.

Krilekk

Banned
Great choice, those were the two sets I wanted to own and now I can. Hoping for Wall-E and the lightsabers in the next review.

Ryuuroden

I'm really starting to think they are intentionally holding some sets up "for review" so they can sneak them into periods where the choices for them are ones they don't want to do. You know the bigger sets and modular type buildings they would never so they need the smaller sets.

At least this round I did really like the birds and will get that set.

That is exactly what they are doing

I am really glad to see the birds project get made. That should be really neat, and hopefully open the doors for other animals besides the fantastic Creator stuff.

While I love Big Bang Theory, I am not sure about actually getting a set based off of it. I guess it depends on price and piece count.

And the way they worded the Doctor Who announcement at the end makes me think it is coming sooner or later. They know Doctor Who is a cash cow, and are kicking themselves for passing on it years ago, and it seems that they could get back in. Perhaps BBC isn't too happy with their current brick vendor.

And if we get Doctor Who, then we will get Sherlock.

neonglow

Whatever they make, I just hope they make enough so we don't have to fight to get a copy. Research Institute should have been plentiful.

gerg

I was surprised they made such a specific announcement about the possibility of a Doctor Who set. I suspect this means that there are licensing considerations rather than the viability of the set itself.

I'm not crazy about either choice this round, but I'll likely get them.

I am sure that Doctor Who almost entirely rests on licensing issues.

Krilekk

Banned
I am sure that Doctor Who almost entirely rests on licensing issues.

It does not, the sole reason why it was allowed for Ideas in the first place was because there were no more licensing issues. It's much more likely they are still evaluating mainstream appeal of the series and/or can't decide which set to go with.

gerg

It does not, the sole reason why it was allowed for Ideas in the first place was because there were no more licensing issues. It's much more likely they are still evaluating mainstream appeal of the series and/or can't decide which set to go with.

Sure, but the BBC will be part of that process all the way. Both sets that got enough supporters featured Doctors and companions now gone - the BBC will doubtlessly want to update that to feature Capaldi and Coleman, just as one example.

If LEGO wants to break the world, they should do a series of CMF that are just Doctor Who themed.

I know that whatever other company did Doctor Who did the blind bags, but a LEGO branded one would probably sell so much more.

If LEGO wants to break the world, they should do a series of CMF that are just Doctor Who themed.

I know that whatever other company did Doctor Who did the blind bags, but a LEGO branded one would probably sell so much more.

Is Dr Who even popular?

Like is it really more popular than BBT, Simpsons, The Lego Movie, Marvel, etc. I know it has it fans, but come on. It's not that big, is it?

gerg

Is Dr Who even popular?

Like is it really more popular than BBT, Simpsons, The Lego Movie, Marvel, etc. I know it has it fans, but come on. It's not that big, is it?

Doctor Who is one of the most popular franchises around at the moment, and especially so in the UK. IIRC its 50th-anniversary episode was broadcast in cinemas around the world to sell-out screenings. I'm not sure I'd say it's more popular than The Big Bang Theory, The Simpsons, or the Marvel franchises, but it definitely carries its own weight.

Doctor Who is one of the most popular franchises around at the moment, and especially so in the UK. IIRC its 50th-anniversary episode was broadcast in cinemas around the world to sell-out screenings. I'm not sure I'd say it's more popular than The Big Bang Theory, The Simpsons, or the Marvel franchises, but it definitely carries its own weight.

I mean, I barely see any merchandise outside of comic book stores, and even there it's only a few items. The special episode was a VERY limited release in only a few countries.

gerg

I mean, I barely see any merchandise outside of comic book stores, and even there it's only a few items. The special episode was a VERY limited release in only a few countries.

That's fair enough, although I would suggest that (a lack of) merchandise is not perhaps indicative of a series' popularity. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Doctor Who myself, I do live in the UK so perhaps that too skews my perceltion of things.

Just because the license for Doctor Who is available doesn't make it a sure thing. The BBC is NOTORIOUSLY hard-headed and stubborn when it comes to licensing. I just had a conversation with a coworker the other day who was talking to someone from another company about Doctor Who stuff and they basically said "Yeah, good luck getting the BBC on board."

I know it has a rabid fan base on the internet, but the lack merchandise makes me think that maybe it doesn't sell as much as other IPs.

Even then, it's probably crumbs for The Lego group. They probably have bigger fishes to chase.

I know it has a rabid fan base on the internet, but the lack merchandise makes me think that maybe it doesn't sell as much as other IPs.

Even then, it's probably crumbs for The Lego group. They probably have bigger fishes to chase.

I am a huge fan but no, it doesn't hold a candle to the other IPs you listed, from a popularity/mindshare perspective.

Is Dr Who even popular?

It had 9 million viewers on the premiere episode this season in the UK alone, 2.5 million in the US. Over 12 million worldwide. Not anywhere near TBBT but still pretty damn popular. I saw several kids trick or treating as daleks and tardises for Halloween

ericb!

Neo Member
I remember arriving home from work one evening with plans to wind down by watching a few episodes of Seinfeld on TBS. I turned on the TV only to find that TBS had replaced Seinfeld with The Big Bang Theory. It was bad enough they had pulled Seinfeld from the time slot. Replacing it with TBBT was like rubbing salt in the wound.

It had 9 million viewers on the premiere episode this season in the UK alone, 2.5 million in the US. Over 12 million worldwide. Not anywhere near TBBT but still pretty damn popular. I saw several kids trick or treating as daleks and tardises for Halloween

This season is pretty rocky with the new Doctor. Stories have been lacking and I think if it doesn't improve soon, it will lose more viewership.

Previous seasons were attracting a lot of viewers (probably because of the younger more attractive doctors).

It shows in over 50 countries.

Moffat the current showrunner and head writer claimed the show has 77 million viewers worldwide. Of course I take it with a grain of salt since he's biased and probably uses inflated numbers.

Anyway, viewership is well over 12 million worldwide and it is the longest running sci-fi series in the world.

Show ran 1963 to 1989 and relaunched series runs 2005 to today.

Kyari

still investigating the possibility of Doctor Who is nothing to get our hopes up over, really. Look at the Portal project :(

wetwired

Lego Ideas are now just releasing whatever they want. The review period is becoming a bit of a joke. We'll see 3 projects come out of the one review. Though we probably shouldn't be complaining about that, I guess.

Birds project doesn't interest me and I wouldn't touch Big Bang Theory with a ten foot pole.

Surely Wall-E has it in the bag next review.

Yeah looking at the sizes of the next review period, Wall-E stands the best chance, the rest of the creations are all massive. As for Dr Who. They likely aren't holding it back for the sake of it, It's more likely they're negotiating licensing rights, which can take some time.

I'd love to think the sales of my Ecto-1 would allow for the firehouse to get through but it's size hurts it a lot. Not really much you can do to scale it down either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom