• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me is saying "Mix the bags!". The other part is telling me "Don't listen to that other guy, he's a wanker.". This is going to be good.

L3V3Wzn.jpg

wetwired

I'll probably buy Brianiac Attack and Green Lantern vs Sinestro sets, then bricklink, new Wonder Woman and Batman, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Cyborg and MAYBE the Scuba Robin.

neonglow

This set kinda reminds me of the Space Skull set from 2008. It was such a dud, LEGO had to heavily discount them to get rid of them. It's the only LEGO Factory set that didn't appreciate in value. Market Street (10190) and Hobby Trains (10183) have appreciated a ton since release.

10192-1.jpg

This set kinda reminds me of the Space Skull set from 2008. It was such a dud, LEGO had to heavily discount them to get rid of them. It's the only LEGO Factory set that didn't appreciate in value. Market Street (10190) and Hobby Trains (10183) have appreciated a ton since release.

10192-1.jpg

That is absolutely hilarious. The new braniac set is majestic though.

kapowza

I got the space skulls set off ebay not so long ago, the big skull has pride of place on my bookcase, the rest just went into the pile of loose bricks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A set of skeleton based space sets could be cool, but that set was ugly.

Yes, I know the designer was limited to what the old Lego Digital Designer could make, but I'm still going to call a spade a spade.

Is Big Bang Theory popular outside America?
I've got the impression that the reason Lego have passed on Doctor Who previously is because they thought it wasn't big enough in the US. Anyway I didn't think the Who sets would make it since they seemed to be primarily about minifigs, but then TBBT set doesn't seem to have much to it beyond the figs either.

Draxal

I've got the impression that the reason Lego have passed on Doctor Who previously is because they thought it wasn't big enough in the US. Anyway I didn't think the Who sets would make it since they seemed to be primarily about minifigs, but then TBBT set doesn't seem to have much to it beyond the figs either.

That, and more importantly somebody already has the license to Dr. Who.

UCS Dalek. No minifigs needed!

Experien

I hope it goes online as well, because there is no way in hell I am going anywhere on Thanksgiving day. All these stores opening earlier and earlier just piss me off.

Rootbeer

Banned
The ad only shows the 2 disc special edition not the everything is awesome edition. But I hope you are right, err, well except that I already own it

Keep going. The picture in the ad is the EIA Edition.

EDIT: While I am excited about $15 Mario 3D Land, I refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving. It is such shit that these places do this to employees. Thanksgiving was one of the only times that almost all retail was shut down. One of the only guarantees you could make, and now that is going away.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ahh it is shown twice on two different pages, cool that the EIA edition is in there, pretty crazy deal for that set. Should be an instabuy if anyone doesn't own it.

I might have to get the museum set if I can score one. I own the others, but 40% off on most of those is pretty good

Rootbeer

Banned
someone posted about the LEGO minecraft sets being in stock on amazon on slickdeals, now they are all sold out. they were there about an hour ago -- now, gone. Except for the two most expensive sets

That went down FAST. Going to be a hot item this Christmas.

Plan on picking up a few when they go live on S@H

Also: Rancor Pit for $40 shipped

Judging by the minifigs and SNOT work, is this the heir to the cheap-but-awesome-DC-set throne currently claimed by Lex Luthor's Power Armor?

It was the $20 sets that carried that title. Green Lantern set is the $20 set.
However, for $25 the Braniac set easily can be categorized as amazing bang for your buck category.

Green Lantern vs. Sinestro (76025): $19.99
Gorilla Grodd Goes Bananas (76026): $39.99
Black Manta Deep Sea Strike (76027): $39.99
Darkseid Invasion (76028): $59.99
Brainiac Attack (76040): $24.99

Prices from: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-2015-us-set-prices/

Mik3F

Just started getting back into Lego, been years and years since I built anything

Built these 2 as my first 2 sets

20141027_204037.jpg

and

20141110_195942.jpg

with a custom stand to display it in x wing mode.

The Millenium Falcon will be next at Xmas and then hopefully R2D2 (if I can get one) and the Batman Tumbler

10192-1.jpg

Wow, that went for $100? Seems like an unsuccessful pre-LEGO Ideas attempt as it clearly labels it as designed by LEGO fans.
Looks like an awesome parts pack if they were discounted enough.

Is that Manhunter the same as the promo one from last year?

No. The promo one is the updated DC-52 version. The one in the set is closer to the classic Martian Manhunter version except with pants/tights.

The relaunch of Doctor Who gain a lot of new fans. It had much better writing, better fx, bigger budget, younger and more attractive Doctors, etc.

Doctor Who is not only known worldwide now outside of nerds and geeks, fans span multiple generations (show started in 1963). It has a big enough built in audience today. They won't make as many as Ghostbusters or Back to the Future, but they should make more than they did of Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover if Doctor Who project is greenlit.

two 39.99 sets? I'm so used to LEGO doing tiered prices on each lineup... so wish some were cheaper though

Pricing may be wrong. Quick look at piece count should indicate if pricing is way off.

Notice they don't have the high end of the price range also. I think LEGO is getting smarter with the pricing range. I think they can sell more sets keeping them well under $100. $100+ sets are a hard sell to parents for kids.

Just started getting back into Lego, been years and years since I built anything

Built these 2 as my first 2 sets

20141027_204037.jpg

and

20141110_195942.jpg

with a custom stand to display it in x wing mode.

The Millenium Falcon will be next at Xmas and then hopefully R2D2 (if I can get one) and the Batman Tumbler

Excellent choices! If you let the thread know what your interests are, we can get you spending money quickly and down the dark path. There will be lots of good sales going into the holidays.

Mik3F

Star Wars for certain, there are a few sets that I want, just need to convince the wife - lol

Will be getting the Batman Tumbler for sure as that looks really good

Kryten

Glad I got in on a couple of Minecraft sets from Amazon yesterday, the ones I didn't buy are now showing up as "deleted" in my Wishlist :/

In good news though, Amazon is now shipping certain sets directly to New Zealand! A big step forward for availability (pricing works out a little but not much better once delivery is taken into account).

ghostmind

I hope it goes online as well, because there is no way in hell I am going anywhere on Thanksgiving day. All these stores opening earlier and earlier just piss me off.

It makes me sick how much consumerism has taken over Thanksgiving (and the other holidays as well). Folks should be at home with their families, enjoying a fine Thanksgiving meal and spending time together. Instead greedy retailers are continually pushing them to be standing outside in lines for hours, waiting for the chance to save a few bucks on something they probably don't even need.

Since official set pics are trickling in, is this any indication of when they'll be released? I don't think Elves or Disney have been officially up yet, right? I need my Elsa and purple elves.

Since they were showcasing mostly current sets it was ok timing for Christmas shopping.

"Mommy I want that Bat Jet! Mommy I want that Lex Power Armor before it retires!"

It would be cool if this movie here has the 2015 sets in it though. I'm also hoping the game tuesday has some of the 2015 sets in it as well.

Question for Lego-GAF. I'm getting a serious itch and wondering if it would be a colossal mistake to order Sea Cow now instead of waiting for Brick Friday. I have something else to order for Brick Friday to get the exclusive so no worries about that but i'm worried about triple vip points or Sea Cow possible going on sale.

Edit: actually NM, looked it up and they do 10% off your order every year so that would be incredibly dumb to not just wait. That would be $25 off the set.

Or it could serve as a marketing tool for the new LEGO Batman game that comes out in two days.

With the announcement of the Bizzaro Batman and movie, it makes a lot more sense. They have more shows/movies to promote the newer sets. :)
What is interesting is they have Guy Gardner instead of Hal Jordan Green Lantern.

LEGO Justice League vs. Bizarro League: Trailer

ghostmind

Since official set pics are trickling in, is this any indication of when they'll be released? I don't think Elves or Disney have been officially up yet, right? I need my Elsa and purple elves.

Here's a release schedule I got from a German retailer:

January
CITY Swamp Police
CREATOR
Disney Princess
Friends
Legends of Chima
LEGO Movie
Star Wars
TECHNIC (partial)

February
BIONICLE
CITY Demolition
CITY Great Vehicles
Mixels
Ultra Agents

March
Elves
Ninjago
TECHNIC (partial)

April
DC Super-Heroes
Marvel Super-Heroes
Pirates
Speed Champions

Now some of these will not match up in North America - for instance we already have been told Speed Champions will be March, and as of SDCC at least the DC sets were supposed to be out in January.

Krilekk

Banned
I decided to build something today and ended up with the VW Camper. I was scared at first because there are no numbered bags (and there's seven or eight of them) but it went pretty good. Took me four hours and what a nice model it is. Great details.

Ponn

Banned
It makes me sick how much consumerism has taken over Thanksgiving (and the other holidays as well). Folks should be at home with their families, enjoying a fine Thanksgiving meal and spending time together. Instead greedy retailers are continually pushing them to be standing outside in lines for hours, waiting for the chance to save a few bucks on something they probably don't even need.

I blame ebayers and the crazy one upmanship over the years that has turned it into a circus. I can remember when I first started doing Black Friday when Circuit City was still around and showing up at one of the stores at around 1am and still being near the front of the line. i would go with a couple a friends and it was still enjoyable and kind of fun hanging out. Then shortly after one year i drove up at 10pm thanksgiving night and the line was around the buildng with 100s of people and flood lights and shit and I was like nope. Now I walk by my Best Buy the monday before black friday and see a couple tents outside and just shake my head. It's fucking nonsense. The deals are not worth giving up that much of your time. And as far as the ebayers its so stupid to me, these are not items that are in high demand to be resold but just mediocore items on sale at good prices that people want AT those good prices. Not marked up on ebay. Though ebayers are still doing it so someone somewhere is falling for the hype and buying the shit.

end of soap box rant.

I just stick with amazon. Lightning deals kinda suck for timing but i haven't had a problem getting what I want in the past and if I don't get it on amazon then oh well.

Here's a release schedule I got from a German retailer:

January
CITY Swamp Police
CREATOR
Disney Princess
Friends
Legends of Chima
LEGO Movie
Star Wars
TECHNIC (partial)

February
BIONICLE
CITY Demolition
CITY Great Vehicles
Mixels
Ultra Agents

March
Elves
Ninjago
TECHNIC (partial)

April
DC Super-Heroes
Marvel Super-Heroes
Pirates
Speed Champions

Now some of these will not match up in North America - for instance we already have been told Speed Champions will be March, and as of SDCC at least the DC sets were supposed to be out in January.

I know NA has Bionicle in January... (Yay!)

The first floor and roof are great. Everything in between is just filler.

Yeah I sort of assumed that from the picture on the box. I'll try and get the next floor done tonight and then enjoy the roof later in the week. Have to go see Intersteller in between.

I look forward to putting the finish product next to the Palace Cinema and seeing it in all it's glory.

Star Wars for certain, there are a few sets that I want, just need to convince the wife - lol

Will be getting the Batman Tumbler for sure as that looks really good

Show her the resell value of the large sets. You can get your money back or more on some of those sets even after opening and building it. ;)

Show her the resell value of the large sets. You can get your money back or more on some of those sets even after opening and building it. ;)
That's only if you sell them. This hobby has been a black hole for me. A wonderful wonderful black hole.

You should build together. My wife built the fairground mixer on her own and loved it.

On another note, is anyone here doing GAF secret santa this year?

Kyari

Lego Batman 3 is going to make me eternally sad at how many non-existant minifigures are in there. I need my Question minifigure, dammit :(

neonglow

That's only if you sell them. This hobby has been a black hole for me. A wonderful wonderful black hole.

You should build together. My wife built the fairground mixer on her own and loved it.

On another note, is anyone here doing GAF secret santa this year?

I signed up for it. It'll be my first time.

My wife was initially OK with the hobby given that the resale value is so terrific. Then she realized that the sets just keep piling up in our house....

On the other hand her ire has been somewhat offset by the fact that many of her friends' husbands have begun behaving in a similarly juvenile capacity. The modulars are a great gateway for grown-ass men to act like kids.

Lego Batman 3 is going to make me eternally sad at how many non-existant minifigures are in there. I need my Question minifigure, dammit :(

This is why you need to hit up Alien Express, to be honest. TLG will never make 90% of those figures and the bootlegs are pretty great quality. I'm consistently impressed with their designs...someone posted that Odin a few pages back....amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom