• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about the price is, yeah, X-Wing and TIE and Tumbler don't come with many figs. But this is a $349 set, the second most expensive set Lego makes, and it's also more of a playset than those ships which are meant for display purposes. Look at the other UCS playsets: Ewok Villiage, the Sand Crawler, even the Sea Cow, and the best example of all, the Death Star. Those comes with TONS of minifigs, and they're also all cheaper than the Helicarrier (exception of course being the Death Star, which has way more parts, way more figures, and is also licensed yet is only $50 more expensive.)

Even my coworkers and I, with our massive discounts, think it's overpriced. I can't imagine paying full price for it. It's more than my car payment each month by about $70!!

It's what, ~2800 pieces? And how many of those are micro/minifigures? The price should have either been $299, or they should have added the whole Avengers cast in both microfigs AND minifigs (but with exclusive Bruce Banner instead of the BigFig Hulk). Or they could have included the motor in the box and kept it at $349 too I guess.

I feel like every UCS set is reasonably priced except the Helicarrier. Which sucks because I really want it ;^;

Ponn

Banned
The thing about the price is, yeah, X-Wing and TIE and Tumbler don't come with many figs. But this is a $349 set, the second most expensive set Lego makes, and it's also more of a playset than those ships which are meant for display purposes. Look at the other UCS playsets: Ewok Villiage, the Sand Crawler, even the Sea Cow, and the best example of all, the Death Star. Those comes with TONS of minifigs, and they're also all cheaper than the Helicarrier (exception of course being the Death Star, which has way more parts, way more figures, and is also licensed yet is only $50 more expensive.)

Even my coworkers and I, with our massive discounts, think it's overpriced. I can't imagine paying full price for it. It's more than my car payment each month by about $70!!

It's what, ~2800 pieces? And how many of those are micro/minifigures? The price should have either been $299, or they should have added the whole Avengers cast in both microfigs AND minifigs (but with exclusive Bruce Banner instead of the BigFig Hulk). Or they could have included the motor in the box and kept it at $349 too I guess.

I feel like every UCS set is reasonably priced except the Helicarrier. Which sucks because I really want it ;^;

i think 299 price point would have saved it some flak. If someone really wants it though I don't feel they will regret their purchase after assembling it. I know some reviewers have waffled on calling it a playset but it really is not. I think they are saying that because of the nanofigures and micro builds but they are missing the point of them. You don't play with this thing, you CAN'T play with this thing. This is not an Ewok Village or Sandcrawler. You can't swoosh it, some of the assembly is attached by only a single axle piece and its way to heavy. It's not minifig scale. The nanofigs are way to small to play with. Those pieces are there to give the display a sense of life, not play. It comes with a display stand and that's where it goes.

ghostmind

New LEGO minifigure case incoming, as per the Brick Fan:

GrYQgZU.jpg

LIwK6qy.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There are a few Architecture sets that I think display very well. I have the Farnsworth House and it's one of my favorite display pieces. I'm going to pick up the Flatiron building as it looks interesting as well.

The Birds are a terrific set. I would highly recommend getting it. Regarding their size, this is taken from brickset.com:

Blue Jay stands over 7” (18cm) tall on its stand
Hummingbird stands over 5” (15cm) tall on its stand
Robin stands over 6” (17cm) tall on its stand

Ah cool, they'll fit then

I bought the birds but haven't built them yet. I really liked the eagle, and these look great too. Also bought the
UN headquarters architecture set as I think it suits the micro scale well. I already have Big Ben which I modded, and the flatiron building looks nice too. I'd love farnsworth and fallingwater, but a bit expensive for an impulse buy, and I'd need to make space somewhere to display them

Edit: are farnsworth/fallingwater out of production now? Arse.

They're all small right?

Toxi

Banned
So after a long night of building, I just finished the Mini-Cooper.

The set is beautiful. It's not nearly as jam-packed with detail as the VW Camper Van, but aesthetically the smooth white and dark green surfaces are slick and classy. I really love how well all the curved parts mesh together, especially with the headlights. That sort of dark green is probably my favorite color, and is a wonderful contrast to the bright red camper van.

But I do have one very big gripe: The set was missing a piece! Specifically, I only got 17 of the white 4x4 rounded slopes used for the roof instead of 18, leaving an ugly gap. Thankfully it's a piece only required near the end, but this sort of quality control issue is frustrating in a 100 dollar purchase. Ah well, it looks like LEGO has nice service for replacing missing parts, so I can't be too upset.

So after a long night of building, I just finished the Mini-Cooper.

The set is beautiful. It's not nearly as jam-packed with detail as the VW Camper Van, but aesthetically the smooth white and dark green surfaces are slick and classy. I really love how well all the curved parts mesh together, especially with the headlights. That sort of dark green is probably my favorite color, and is a wonderful contrast to the bright red camper van.

But I do have one very big gripe: The set was missing a piece! Specifically, I only got 17 of the white 4x4 rounded slopes used for the roof instead of 18, leaving an ugly gap. Thankfully it's a piece only required near the end, but this sort of quality control issue is frustrating in a 100 dollar purchase.
If you contact Lego they will replace the part.

Also, did you go and double check the bags and see if the piece was caught in a fold in the bag? That happened to me once or twice. I thought I was missing a piece then went to the trash and found the bag and the piece was stuck in the corner of one of the bags.

Toxi

Banned
If you contact Lego they will replace the part.

Also, did you go and double check the bags and see if the piece was caught in a fold in the bag? That happened to me once or twice. I thought I was missing a piece then went to the trash and found the bag and the piece was stuck in the corner of one of the bags.
Double checked the bags, as well as the floor around the building zone.

I'm glad they have a service to replace missing pieces. I went to the website and easily found the part, so I'll get that shipped ASAP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ah cool, they'll fit then

They're all small right?

Architecture? Yeah most sets have a base smaller than A5 paper. The small sets like empire state building are only a few inches square. The big sets like fallingwater are a bit bigger but not massive - that's reserved for things like tower bridge (awesome) and the big Sydney opera house.

wetwired

I bought a custom Assassins Creed minifig last week from a local (Canberra) customer, pretty happy with it, the print is nice and detailed, though different from LEGO as it's slightly raised (I assume it's UV printed like the X-files ones I did)

asscreed.jpg

I also bought from the same guy an Arkham Origins Batman torso, used my existing parts to finish it off, he threw in a free brown torso as well, kind weird but I like the novelty of it. It's more like LEGO print (pad printing) as it doesn't appear or feel raised like the Ass Creed one

arkham.jpg

But I do have one very big gripe: The set was missing a piece! Specifically, I only got 17 of the white 4x4 rounded slopes used for the roof instead of 18, leaving an ugly gap. Thankfully it's a piece only required near the end, but this sort of quality control issue is frustrating in a 100 dollar purchase. Ah well, it looks like LEGO has nice service for replacing missing parts, so I can't be too upset.

What a pain! Sucks that it's an external one that you couldn't substitute. You'll get a replacement from TLG but it'll take a few weeks.

I'm pretty impressed with their QC in terms of ensuring all parts are included.

Since I got back into the hobby in 2013 I'm up to......according to Brickset 352 sets and 99873 pieces. I have been short a piece exactly once.

This little bugger was missing from Fire Brigade:

I also bought from the same guy an Arkham Origins Batman torso, used my existing parts to finish it off, he threw in a free brown torso as well, kind weird but I like the novelty of it. It's more like LEGO print (pad printing) as it doesn't appear or feel raised like the Ass Creed one

What's with the little arrow on Batman's belt? Is that a real costume he's worn?

Does EVERY part Lego ever made have the actual Lego logo stamped on it somewhere?

I just got some of those huge globes in a BrickLink order and i wonder whether they're genuine or not? They're kinda like the Planet series globes except all smooth in and outside and they have hinges on one "side" and NO logo or writing to be found anywhere hmm...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
speaking of books, any good lego-related books, like maybe trivias and such?

Architecture? Yeah most sets have a base smaller than A5 paper. The small sets like empire state building are only a few inches square. The big sets like fallingwater are a bit bigger but not massive - that's reserved for things like tower bridge (awesome) and the big Sydney opera house.

those two are expensive (tower bridge and opera house) :p

though they kinda look bland, the more I look at those two, also needs more studless look the architecture series has

speaking of books, any good lego-related books, like maybe trivias and such?

those two are expensive (tower bridge and opera house) :p

though they kinda look bland, the more I look at those two, also needs more studless look the architecture series has

There are many books in the end of the OP if you are curious.

As for Tower Bridge and Sydney Opera House, they are amazing display pieces and great builds. And if you have any inclination to MOC in the future, both are killer parts packs. Particularly Tower Bridge.

Looks dandy! The clear plastic is a marked improvement.

My only reservation is price. Those cases tend to be absurdly overpriced.

I saw them at TRU earlier. They were $25. Not sure if that is a TRU mark up or not, or if it is MSRP before the TRU mark up comes in like it usually does.

Also, there is a Kickstarter for a Brickworld Chicago documentary. Will we see a certain GAFfer and his Tower of Orthanc in it?

Does EVERY part Lego ever made have the actual Lego logo stamped on it somewhere?

I just got some of those huge globes in a BrickLink order and i wonder whether they're genuine or not? They're kinda like the Planet series globes except all smooth in and outside and they have hinges on one "side" and NO logo or writing to be found anywhere hmm...

I think nearly every LEGO part. I think it's not easy to do with parts like a 1x1 round plate with hole in it.

I'll try to remember to check at home if the planets have them. I don't recall any clone brands of those.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68370

wetwired

Well as I suspected X-files was rejected from ideas for not being a content fit with LEGOs brand.

I'm tempted to use this as excuse to get into 3rd party custom minifigs, something I've always wanted to take a shot at.

I'm thinking a bundle with Mulder, Scully, each with the FBI ID badges and an "x-file" each (samanatha for mulder, duane barry for scully) A 3rd party flashlight and pistol each for them. Do you guys think that would sell? and what would you expect to pay for something like that?

Maengun1

I can't believe they would reject that! Ugh.

There's so many PG-13 movie franchises that get licensed by Lego with way more violence than The X-Files has...I mean it aired on primetime tv. I guess it has a repuation for being scary, but still.

It's hard being an adult Lego fan sometimes. I want X-Files and Moe's bar :(

wetwired

There's so many PG-13 movie franchises that get licensed by Lego with way more violence than The X-Files has...I mean it aired on primetime tv. I guess it has a repuation for being scary, but still.

I'm not surprised and I understand their decision, through the run of X-files there's been some very heavy themes, incest, horror, ghost rape, murder, gore, kidnapping, child molestation. I was hoping that because it wasn't the main characters doing any of those things they might let it pass but it's understandable why.

Well as I suspected X-files was rejected from ideas for not being a content fit with LEGOs brand.

I'm tempted to use this as excuse to get into 3rd party custom minifigs, something I've always wanted to take a shot at.

I'm thinking a bundle with Mulder, Scully, each with the FBI ID badges and an "x-file" each (samanatha for mulder, duane barry for scully) A 3rd party flashlight and pistol each for them. Do you guys think that would sell? and what would you expect to pay for something like that?

Pssh, that blows. X-Files doesn't fit but they have no problem with a series where people's heads are melted, exploded and de-bodied, and still-beating hearts are torn out of living people.

Lego should start catering to older consumers with things other than Star Wars and expensive UCS sets. Things can be mature without gore and sex.

As for the Mulder and Scully price, $8-$10 seems reasonable for two figs + accessories, but I don't know how much custom printing costs.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars

Count me in as a customer for one or two sets - and I'd buy instructions for the office too!

wetwired

As for the Mulder and Scully price, $8-$10 seems reasonable for two figs + accessories, but I don't know how much custom printing costs.

Thanks for the info, the parts and printing cost more than that per minifig but it's good to know what people's expectations are so I know whether to go forward with it or not.

I can now at least upload all the photos to flickr

Count me in as a customer for one or two sets - and I'd buy instructions for the office too!

Cheers, I probably wouldn't sell instructions though, I'd just make it up in LDD or something

Thanks for the info, the parts and printing cost more than that per minifig but it's good to know what people's expectations are so I know whether to go forward with it or not.

I was wrongly comparing it to something I'd see in store and wasn't considering any extra costs. I think I would feel comfortable paying a maximum of $20 for quality figs and bits.

ghostmind

CJnzXxc.jpg

First image of Force Awakens set - appears to be the instructions for 75104 "Lead Villain Vehicle" (aka
"Kylo Ren's Transport"
)

First impression is that is a lot of studs.

^^^
Oh, dang!

----

I made another Mako -- New one on top:

I got rid of the suspension because it was a headache to work around and I'm not even sure if it would work as intended, plus the look of the wheels is now accurate. The side hatches can now be opened as well.

I ended up adding another 100+ pieces with the changes/additions + the Prothean Beacon, bringing the total to just shy of 700. I'm sure I could reduce the count significantly if I rebuilt it or built it IRL, but I'm tired of futzing with it.

And given the complete absence of anything Mass Effect on the Ideas site, I'm guessing Lego thinks it's too hardcore for consideration. Meh, it's probably not worth the time and effort of rebuilding and rendering a bunch of photos just to be rejected.

One day -- far in the future when I have money -- I will acquire the necessary parts and get custom figs made.

I feel like LEGO should start an AFOL/TFOL line. Give it a different brand name (like they did with modulex) if they are worried about hurting the LEGO brand and image. It wouldn't be a huge money maker, but it would fill in the holes like X-Files. With people paying $10-$20 for custom minifigs, I'd easily pay $6-$10 for limited edition collectible minifigs actually made by LEGO. Just look at all those collectible figures Minimates and Funko make. Adults wouldn't get confused if it was LEGO made under a different brand.

neonglow

CJnzXxc.jpg

First image of Force Awakens set - appears to be the instructions for 75104 "Lead Villain Vehicle" (aka
"Kylo Ren's Transport"
)

First impression is that this set looks amateurish. The fact that it costs over $100 is doing it no favors. It feels like the early days of LEGO Star Wars with the blocky ships. It might be best to just Bricklink the minifigures.

Ponn

Banned
CJnzXxc.jpg

"Kylo Ren's Transport"
)

I'm not really sure if its the movie designers or Lego but i'm not feeling that ship at all. The design doesn't make any sense. i mean, I know we are talking about space ships here but, yea I don't like that design at all. Why have those wings pointing all the way up during flight? Why the flat boxy as all hell front end. I don't know, guess wait for full reveal, maybe it does something else that makes sense.

Zerojul

Shiiiiit.... :/

Good luck with the third party thing, I'd definitely be up for a pair if you go for it. Considering the price some high-quality customs go for I'd say 20~25 bucks ? I don't know if that's fair or not as I have no idea of the costs...

Seems pretty deliberate what they would authorize and what not to me... I mean they HAVE greenlighted LOTR, a series where things definitely get brutal and scary in many instances. They also made a Simpsons theme where, granted, they did not feature Moe, his bar or adherents due to the alcoholic concerns there but they DID feature the rest of the Simpsons cast but simply chose to leave THOSE specific bits OUT. So in theory they could make X-Files, but chose to "ignore" the sensitive content in question as well?

Ah well, anyways, it's probably more complex than that, fact is there won't be any X-Files set in the near future :(

So far i have never bought 3rd party stuff and i am kind of not a fan but who knows what the future will hold...

Another nice looking dragon, i may yet have to get into Ninjago some day hmm...

Also: i figured out what that globe/dome piece i was referring to earlier is, it is a dome used in the roofing of Mos Eisley Cantina DOH. Seems to be legit in that case ;)

That really sucks about the X-Files. It is also a bit baffling. We already have sets from themes that feature cannibals, demons, aliens, and whatnot. Such a shame.

And it is making me rethink about going back and trying to finish off my Supernatural MOC for Ideas. If they won't approve X-Files, they might not approve Supernatural either.

wetwired

That really sucks about the X-Files. It is also a bit baffling. We already have sets from themes that feature cannibals, demons, aliens, and whatnot. Such a shame.

And it is making me rethink about going back and trying to finish off my Supernatural MOC for Ideas. If they won't approve X-Files, they might not approve Supernatural either.

Yeah I'd say both shows are on par thematically (though I've only watched a few episodes of supernatural)

I've been thinking about it today and I think I'll start a bit simpler with my custom minifig business adventure and start with colour variants of the classic spaceman minifigs. I've already got the design done and it's only a 3 colours and one printed part, whereas the X-files is up to 6 colours, some parts would need to be UV printed, some Pad printed, I'd need to order 3rd party guns and torches online etc etc. The spacemen is just the torso print and painting/colour matching the airtanks, relatively simple. See how that goes and go and move onto X-files if successful.

I'm going to build Ferris Wheel in the weekend with a friend, but I got an early start as I wanted to get the groundwork sorted. Since I'm going to place it on a baseplate and since it's tricky to push several 16x16 plates onto a baseplate, I was going to remove those and build it directly on the baseplate.

Turns out I can't. The mechanism for the platforms needs the extra plate of room provided by the hole in the center. So now I need to rip everything off the baseplate and start over. Luckily there's a ton of stuff that's securely attached to the Technic frame in the bottom, so that will stick together at least.

Impressions of Ferris Wheel so far (bag 1):

This thing is SOLID. The bottom layer is beams bolted together, and then secured with tons of plates and stuff. There are also connections here for the struts that will hold the wheel itself. Most of the build so far has been mechanisms: for turning the wheels that turn the big wheel, or the platform moving stuff. There's also the clever attachment for a small motor (which is geared down so it doesn't run too fast).

Ponn

Banned
Impressions of Ferris Wheel so far (bag 1):

This thing is SOLID. The bottom layer is beams bolted together, and then secured with tons of plates and stuff. There are also connections here for the struts that will hold the wheel itself. Most of the build so far has been mechanisms: for turning the wheels that turn the big wheel, or the platform moving stuff. There's also the clever attachment for a small motor (which is geared down so it doesn't run too fast).

I heard him mention that in the designer video about the small motor and I was wondering if he meant the M-Motor. I can't find a small motor anywhere.

I'm going to build Ferris Wheel in the weekend with a friend, but I got an early start as I wanted to get the groundwork sorted. Since I'm going to place it on a baseplate and since it's tricky to push several 16x16 plates onto a baseplate, I was going to remove those and build it directly on the baseplate.

Turns out I can't. The mechanism for the platforms needs the extra plate of room provided by the hole in the center. So now I need to rip everything off the baseplate and start over. Luckily there's a ton of stuff that's securely attached to the Technic frame in the bottom, so that will stick together at least.
Or you could have added a small layer of plates on the bottoms of 16x16 stuff to attach to the baseplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom