• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
I wonder if LEGO would consider using magnets in the head and body...

I'm assuming minifig-size BB-8 is fully static right? Probably flat on bottom too... otherwise i'm not sure how they could get the head to stay on top of a ball without it tipping over.

Can't wait to see more pics!

I'm okay with the LEGO BB-8 being very basic, as long as the visual representation is accurate. I definitely plan on getting one of the more expensive functioning BB-8 toys (like the one from Sphero themselves) to fill my BB-8 needs.

The new inverted flower pots like Simpson's House and Parisian Restaurant had?

Is that head a standard Astromech head? Looks a bit funky to me.

Yeah. It does look like this

I wonder if LEGO would consider using magnets in the head and body...

I was thinking the same thing. Magnets would be the only way to duplicate the movement. Well, only need one magnet and some metal that works with magnets.

Osahi

Why hello BB-8 (and what looks to be Rey's Speeder).

R4joXi3.jpg

I like BB8. Wondered how they would do him.

Hope the sets aren't too expensive. Will probably grab one or two

ghostmind

I'm in line for the JW gate giveaway at toys r us. Hopefully they'll let us have 2. There are lots of afols with no kids.

x75DdjC.jpg

Nice! The last TRU building event I was at was for the Bat-Signal, and that one had more kids than AFOLs, though the latter were certainly present.

Rootbeer

Banned
The JW logo is a sticker.

Buuuuuuummer!

Would be cool to have but I know how my luck is, I'd probably go there and they'd tell me kids only. :p Which is fine assuming there are kids actually attending... sounds like more adults are interested.

First reviews of it rolling in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEqSXTp98io

Can't argue with free. But man, having a printed piece would have made it a really nice thing to have.

BTW, I had no idea J2G's youtube channel was temporarily shut down due to getting 3 copyright strikes against it. But, he managed to get it back up and running. It's impressive some of the leaks he's been able to break. But now he won't be doing any videos like that... since it's related to why his channel was shut down.

So... guess we'll have to find new sources for these sorts of things. J2G himself suggests Hothbricks, which may actually be a hint to how he's been able to cover so many leaks to begin with. Just my own speculation.

Osahi

Pretty cool gate. Makes me think of the loading screens of the jurassic world gate. Those have these type of minibuilds you can look at from all angles. Some of those seemed really cool to try and replicate at home

Ponn

Banned
Did you buy it already? I would recommend Pet Shop over the X-Wing, but the X-Wing is a nice display model. I have never been so frustrated as I was with the sticker though. Seriously, screw that thing.

yup, bought along with series 5 mixels. Getting another winter soldier too, surprised they still have some in stock. I'm trying to decide to try and put that mythical sticker on or not. It was tough decision but I just can't afford to go into another line now.

There is a viable, but questionable solution for those that can't rationalize paying $$$$$ for exclusive minifigs like that. Just need to be patient and wait...

aliexpress.com

Haha, oh yea I use them. I know its a grey area to talk about here so I don't bring them up often. I actually just made an order with them for those Walking Dead figs and the Flash fig collection i've been eyeing. Also finally getting my rainbow batman fig.

Almost done with Ferris Wheel. It's really amazing how everything comes together and just works. Really awesome framework. Some repetition in the build but just something really charming about putting it together. I would really like to find a way to work some lights into the spindles to make it look like that ferris wheel from GTA V. I'm hoping they keep this theme up, I will look forward to it every year. Crossing fingers for a Roller Coaster but will take a Gravitron too.

Wow. I'm guessing it's done by inductive coupling of some sort. I was looking into lighting and this may be a great way to do it.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/i-brix-wireless-lego-lighting-system-kickstarter-project/

Some major cons I can think of:
- Limited to 1x1 bricks. This means can't work in things like light sabers and have to work a 1x1 brick into the design.
- No control over lights (intensity, individual control, on/off flashing, etc)

I'll probably stick to my original plan to use wired LED lighting.

mrkgoo

I knew I shouldn't have due to monetary reasons, but after building it in LDD, I knew I had to have it... Just bought and built 31039, Blue Power Jet, and it's amazing.

A huge fan of aviation adventures set and this one may even top that build wise. Has less play features but Damn is it a cool build and look s fantastic at the end of it.

It's like some high level MOC to me, but as a commercial model. Love it.

ghostmind

So apparently LEGO has asked all of the major LEGO blogs not to share any information they discover regarding the upcoming Force Awakens sets until September 4th, aka "Force Friday".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I knew I shouldn't have due to monetary reasons, but after building it in LDD, I knew I had to have it... Just bought and built 31039, Blue Power Jet, and it's amazing.

A huge fan of aviation adventures set and this one may even top that build wise. Has less play features but Damn is it a cool build and look s fantastic at the end of it.

Do you have Fast Flyer and Sonic Boom? They're both great sets, and Blue Power Jet makes a great triple of planes. Makes a good companion collection to the triple of Maersk, Horizon and Emerald Night trains.

dalin80

Banned
Just finished the technic lemans racer set and I have to say it was...

Pretty meh.

I have two other large models the 8043 excavator and awesome 8880 sports car, in comparison of those two the LMP was a simple build with few technical details, mundane features and off styling. No working gearbox, the engine is attached to the rear wheels by a wobbly diff, the engine itself is the now tired and long out of date aircooled (?) cylinder design with no cylinder heads making it look daft. Despite being a racer the power functions only do pointless stuff like open the doors in a fairly clunky manner, not that you would want to it's interior is barren.

Awful colour
Awful stickers
Weak engineering
Weak features
Mundane build
Bare interior

All in all a let down, as an engineering showpiece the 8043 pisses all over it with great functions selectable through a well thought out array of gearboxes and selectors, the 8880 has every feature this car should have had and that's from what 25 years ago?

It's supposed to be a le mans racer, so where is the 4wd with hybrid system, the middle of the model is empty so there's plenty of room, why the same dull half built engine block that has been in use since the dawn of time? Why no gearbox? Why the useless power features when this could have been a fun customizable RC car? And most of all why that awful green?

It should have been an example of the features of a modern LMP car, show people how the hybrid system works when coupled with an unusual engine (the porsche that won this year had a turbo V4 petrol). Even as example of a 2010 LMP car it is dull and lazy.

So apparently LEGO has asked all of the major LEGO blogs not to share any information they discover regarding the upcoming Force Awakens sets until September 4th, aka "Force Friday".

I do miss, kinda, the surprise of seeing stuff for the first time when its actually available to buy - it sort of takes the shine off stuff a little bit when you know everything six months in advance (but I haven't got the self control not to check this thread 50 times a day on the off chance of seeing something new)

On the minus side, knowing stuff in advance does kind of boost my self control.

Its obvious that they want sept 4th to be a consumer bloodbath as part of the hype machine for the next star wars phase, and I guess that I cant really blame any of the blogs that play along.

I just can't for the life of me find in any TRU that damn jet here in central Cali :/
So I'm just going to do what I should have done in the first place and order it off the Lego shop.

Rootbeer

Banned
4chan, you are our only hope.

Sorry but Sept 4th is a long, long ways off... no way there won't be leaks.

Also it's kinda extreme to expect nobody to share anything about them until Force Friday, the day they hit shelves.

Yes Sept 4th is still more than 3 full months before the films hit, but Disney is living in a dream world if they think they can keep it that under wraps.

I agree with you TomJoadsGhost that it was a thing of wonder to live in a time when we discovered things that way, just walk into the store and be shocked to see something cool. I was around (barely) in the 80s so I know what you are saying. But we can't turn back the clock in that way. It's unreasonable to expect otherwise, LEGO.

Ponn

Banned
4chan, you are our only hope.

Sorry but Sept 4th is a long, long ways off... no way there won't be leaks.

Also it's kinda extreme to expect nobody to share anything about them until Force Friday, the day they hit shelves.

Yes Sept 4th is still more than 3 full months before the films hit, but Disney is living in a dream world if they think they can keep it that under wraps.

I agree with you TomJoadsGhost that it was a thing of wonder to live in a time when we discovered things that way, just walk into the store and be shocked to see something cool. I was around (barely) in the 80s so I know what you are saying. But we can't turn back the clock in that way. It's unreasonable to expect otherwise, LEGO.

Oh boy. I remember being out one weekend with my family on a shopping trip when I was a kid. I asked to go into TRU to see what new games were out and was surprised to find Super Mario 3 had come out. I bragged about that monday at school and had to describe the game to my friends all day till they could get their parents to take them to TRU. I couldn't even begin to explain to kids today what it was like to not know exactly when games were coming out.

Excuse me while I go yell at some clouds.

ruxtpin

Banned
I've got a handful of the Lego video games but nothing makes me want to build more than the Jurassic World game. The little mini-builds on the loading screen are awesome. Plus all the vehicles you see throughout the game. I'm going to buy up all the Jurassic World sets to do my part (and I really want the dinos), but I hope Lego gives us a Jurassic Park line.

mrkgoo

Do you have Fast Flyer and Sonic Boom? They're both great sets, and Blue Power Jet makes a great triple of planes. Makes a good companion collection to the triple of Maersk, Horizon and Emerald Night trains.
No, they were before my Lego renaissance period...

Look cool though, but still not as remarkable I think as the Blue Power Jet - just the mixture of stud less panels and tiles make it look cool.

I was pretty much sold on getting that set, but all the raving lately puts it on my must have list which means it will never fall off the list.

I was nominated and won best mega creation :)

Woohoo!!! Awesome! Sooo...any cool LEGO award that goes with it? I think some usually have a custom built LEGO MOC as a trophy.

I do miss, kinda, the surprise of seeing stuff for the first time when its actually available to buy - it sort of takes the shine off stuff a little bit when you know everything six months in advance (but I haven't got the self control not to check this thread 50 times a day on the off chance of seeing something new)

On the minus side, knowing stuff in advance does kind of boost my self control.

Its obvious that they want sept 4th to be a consumer bloodbath as part of the hype machine for the next star wars phase, and I guess that I cant really blame any of the blogs that play along.

What is this "self control"? Is that some new slang?

Congrats on the award, Ryuuroden. I wish I had gotten there to see it in person. I know Deefuzz got to though.

And when is that Ferrari dropping? I need a new set.

wetwired

Anyone here spend good time in Lego Worlds? still want to get but dont have the time currently for it.

I instabought it on release, it's pretty light on content atm, a fair few biomes and creatures/vehicles/minifigs around but not a whole lot to do other than walk around exploring, no minecraft-esc survival or overall goal to aim towards. I found the building interface really clumbersum so I just never used it.

What is this "self control"? Is that some new slang?

Its a slow acting form of psychological self harm where you only get the payoff when you realise the set you suddenly have to own has been discontinued and is now only available for three times the cost that you can justify paying for it.

Ponn

Banned
Its a slow acting form of psychological self harm where you only get the payoff when you realise the set you suddenly have to own has been discontinued and is now only available for three times the cost that you can justify paying for it.

Thats why its best to be proactive and just buy every set. Its the only way to be sure.

Osahi

I've got a handful of the Lego video games but nothing makes me want to build more than the Jurassic World game. The little mini-builds on the loading screen are awesome. Plus all the vehicles you see throughout the game. I'm going to buy up all the Jurassic World sets to do my part (and I really want the dinos), but I hope Lego gives us a Jurassic Park line.

Yes! Those minibuilds are awesome. I really love the game, i'm trying to platinum it (time is not on my side though.). But i am not jumping on jw sets. Don't like them. I would be all over a jp line though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom