• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Congratz! Well deserved!

In other news. I caved. Again.

The shop where I found Benny's Spaceship for 70 euros, had a Star Wars 3 in 1 pack in the same discount bin. As it was a prequel/clone wars pack I thought at first: nah, rather have only OT sets. But damn, it nagged and nagged. Today, after watching some reviews of it by Jang and thinking about how nice it would be to make it into a battle display, I just went and bought it before it was gone :p

So i paid about 50 euros (it was priced 60, but I had 10 euro instore discount) for this:

asset-281747.jpg

This hobby is a disease I tell ya.

So, my Ideas project has done better in four days than my last one did in a year and a half, and I decided to go back to where I came up with the project:
What will eventually be Tracy Island. Currently about 3500 pieces, 480x240 studs and takes a minute and a half to load, some of it won't fit on screen when zoomed out and it's starting to lag slightly when moving the camera. I don't know if I'll be able to finish it.

Fowler

So, my Ideas project has done better in four days than my last one did in a year and a half, and I decided to go back to where I came up with the project:

What will eventually be Tracy Island. Currently about 3500 pieces, 480x240 studs and takes a minute and a half to load, some of it won't fit on screen when zoomed out and it's starting to lag slightly when moving the camera. I don't know if I'll be able to finish it.

TRACY ISLAND? YES!!!

Grrr, trying to figure out how to get the Mass Effect crew decal'd properly is hurting my brain. All the custom decal LDD tutorials I find might as well be in mandarin, I don't understand anything about editing files or whatnot.

Using Photoshop/Illustrator is tough, as I haven't really used them in years so I've forgotten many things -- I hate that fucking pen tool!

I think I'll have to settle for crappy photoshop paint-overs.

I don't know, I think it's pretty clever!

I would way rather they release sets like this than a bunch of exclusive figs that we'll never get our hands on.

I like it a lot. I'm a comic book geek which makes it much more appealing to me.

I agree with you that something like this is better as exclusive giveaways or sale items. It's something many people could reproduce via Bricklink and/or their own collection. Although, I wouldn't mind exclusive minifigs so much as long as they come out in a set 1-2 years later. Or they have it as a exclusive promotion giveaway with purchase from LEGO.

I reckon that superman set is pretty great actually, iconic and well designed. I'd like to see some more classic comic book covers recreated in that fashion.

neonglow

The Superman set is a definite buy for me. I like it more than the others. For SDCC 2015 sets, I'd rank them as:

1. Superman
  2. Ultron
  3. Dagobah

BigHow

Neo Member
I really dig that Superman set too. Hopefully the fact that it's not full of rare minifigs or parts will help keep the aftermarket prices down. Getting those SDCC sets is always a nightmare.

Or, worst case scenario, it should be relatively easy to Brinklink the parts, assuming someone puts the instructions online. I've definitely got an extra Superman or two lying around.

Ponn

Banned
Had to break into multiple building sessions but finally finished. Sorry for first blurry image

It's beautiful once finished. I agree with some reviewers who said it would look better with some red gondola's added but that's a minor nitpick. some repetition at end of build, especially with Gondola's but they were kind of fun to make so I didn't mind. I thought it was funny how the instruction booklet really doesn't do much handholding like some others i've seen. For instance with the gondolas it shows you how make one green one then just shows a picture of all three colored gondolas at the end basically saying ok make the rest but just switch out the colors, you figure it out.

Vgn03VY.jpg

P5NiZ3J.jpg

BXuviuw.jpg

here's the gear mechanism to make it move if anyone is wondering. It's really neat how you are building it all to come together throughout the set then how simple it comes together.
eqV5h0u.jpg

bx2fzeO.jpg

"Hulk ate too many corndogs, Me going to puke"

Put some more work into Tracy Island. It's now about 5500 pieces, and now takes over two minutes for LDD to load it. Though at least all of the hangers are in place, now I just have to built up the rock faces around everything.

I don't think I ever saw it outside of perhaps a special one-day non LEGO event?

Great pics Ponn01! We made it through most of the "1" bags on Father's day and I'm still marveling at the footprint. Thing is huge. My girls are already choosing sets of figs to populate the ride.

If it were up to me it'd be Astromechs. Astromech droids as far as the eye can see.

ghostmind

It showed up in Poland, I think?

For North America, I think it's either going to show up randomly on the LEGO calendar one month, or end up being a weird retailer-exclusive, like TC-4 was last year.

It showed up in Poland, I think?

For North America, I think it's either going to show up randomly on the LEGO calendar one month, or end up being a weird retailer-exclusive, like TC-4 was last year.

You're probably right. TC-4 ended up at Mastermind Toys which is crazy.

I think TLG is getting a bit too liberal with their releases of these fig-only polybags. I was really surprised by yesterday's post that the Winter Soldier is still in stock. Their choices have been pretty strange lately.

-Aforementioned Stormtrooper - Presumably a unique pauldron, but is that it?
-Yularen - Who?
-Winter Solider - The movie is a year old at this point
-TC-4 - Who?
-Darth Revan - Most people wouldn't know him
-Electro - A recreation of a terribly-received villain

Outside of Rocket Raccoon
and Plastic Man. Dammit I want that
, the selection feels weak to me.

I don't think I ever saw it outside of perhaps a special one-day non LEGO event?

Great pics Ponn01! We made it through most of the "1" bags on Father's day and I'm still marveling at the footprint. Thing is huge. My girls are already choosing sets of figs to populate the ride.

If it were up to me it'd be Astromechs. Astromech droids as far as the eye can see.

The Stormtrooper Sergeant was randomly handed out from a TRU here in Sweden. I went with some AFOL friends and had a look. I didn't even buy anything but asked about them, and got one for free.

Rootbeer

Banned
Mostly agree except with Revan, one of the best minifigure-only polybags they've ever released. Those games have been very successful. He's probably the most well-known SW character that never appeared in any of the films.

We need more exclusive minifigures like it. Just releasing a standard Stormtrooper with a white cloth pauldron accessory isn't very exciting for an exclusive.

Mostly agree except with Revan, one of the best minifigure-only polybags they've ever released. Those games have been very successful. He's probably the most well-known SW character that never appeared in any of the films.

We need more exclusive minifigures like it. Just releasing a standard Stormtrooper with a white cloth pauldron accessory isn't very exciting for an exclusive.

Oh I agree that Revan is an amazing fig but KOTOR isn't exactly a recent game. I would welcome more figs like that though.

Not yet for US. The only Super Hero set out this month was Ant-Man. I think it's due for August along with the Spiderman and Batman sets.

Ok, I forgot what wave it was part of to be honest.

I havent touched any Lego for a few months (how?), but August is going to be a time where that will change entirely.

This makes me wish there were Shadows of the Empire minifigs/sets :(

I'd love for a Dengar set.

Kyari

He was also in SWTOR. I hope one day we get the Thunderclap from it, the others they released were all great.

ship_thunderclap.png

I would kill for more SWTOR sets. With EA doubling down on it this year with an expansion, maybe we'll get some next year? Fingers crossed? :(

(I once managed to pick up four of the SWTOR troop builder boxes for £3 a piece on clearance at ASDA :D )

Rootbeer

Banned
Thankfully not a very desired figure by me.
I'm only saying this to curb the pain

LEGO needs to do something about that hood piece. The one Wildstyle used is way nicer. They should remold it to not have that little slice on the side for her hair and start using that one.

Fowler

You're probably right. TC-4 ended up at Mastermind Toys which is crazy.

I think TLG is getting a bit too liberal with their releases of these fig-only polybags. I was really surprised by yesterday's post that the Winter Soldier is still in stock. Their choices have been pretty strange lately.

-Aforementioned Stormtrooper - Presumably a unique pauldron, but is that it?
-Yularen - Who?
-Winter Solider - The movie is a year old at this point
-TC-4 - Who?
-Darth Revan - Most people wouldn't know him
-Electro - A recreation of a terribly-received villain

While I'd agree with you in general, I actually really want Yularen now...

...so I can combine him with Cad Bane's head to create Grand Admiral Thrawn!

wetwired

I like the rover recovery stuff but the heavy mech feels a bit too close to the exosuit I think, it needs something to make it's silhouette more defined and different than the exosuit, perhaps a bulkier upper body/shoulders? maybe make one hand a functional tool or something? a saw or drill.

Rendered some stuff:

Still working on the Mass Effect stuff, I'd like to have it done this week, then I'll submit it to the Ideas site.

I like the rover recovery stuff but the heavy mech feels a bit too close to the exosuit I think, it needs something to make it's silhouette more defined and different than the exosuit, perhaps a bulkier upper body/shoulders? maybe make one hand a functional tool or something? a saw or drill.

Same comments as Wetwired, but I do want to add that the dog is awesome.

I just bought

Clone Trooper Battle Pack 2011 7913
Imperial V Wing 2011 7915
Darth Maul Sith Infilrator * 2011 7961
Republican Frigate * 2011 7964
Millenium Falcon * 2011 7965
Freeco Speeder 2010 8085
MIDI Scale Imperail Star Destroyer 2010 8099
Elite Clone Trooper and commando droid 2012 9488
Geonisian Cannon 2012 9491
Tie Fighter * 2012 9492
Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter 2012 9498
Sith Fury First Class 2012 9500
The Malevolance 2012 9515
Jabbas Palace 2012 9516
Tie Interceptor 2012 9676
Twin Pod 2012 9678
Republic Troopers vs. Sith Troopers 2013 75001
AT-RT 2013 75002
Jedi Starfighter 2013 75006
Tie Bomber 2013 75008
B-Wing 2013 75010
B-Wing 2013 75010
Homing Spider Droid 2013 75016
Jek-14 Stealth Starfighter 2013 75018
AT-TE * 2013 75019
Mandalorian Speeder 2013 75022
Death Star Troopers 2014 75034
Kashyyk Troopers 2014 75035
Vulture Droid * 2014 75041

for 425€ (used)
o.o

I just bought

Freeco Speeder 2010 8085
Tie Fighter * 2012 9492
Saesee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter 2012 9498
Sith Fury First Class 2012 9500
The Malevolance 2012 9515
Jabbas Palace 2012 9516
Tie Interceptor 2012 9676
Twin Pod 2012 9678
Republic Troopers vs. Sith Troopers 2013 75001
AT-RT 2013 75002
Jedi Starfighter 2013 75006
Tie Bomber 2013 75008
B-Wing 2013 75010
B-Wing 2013 75010
Homing Spider Droid 2013 75016
Jek-14 Stealth Starfighter 2013 75018
AT-TE * 2013 75019
Mandalorian Speeder 2013 75022
Death Star Troopers 2014 75034
Kashyyk Troopers 2014 75035
Vulture Droid * 2014 75041

for 425€ (used)
o.o

Damn. Some really great stuff in there. Save the Sith Fury for last though. You don't want to spoil yourself too early.

Same comments as Wetwired, but I do want to add that the dog is awesome.

Thanks. :)

The Heavy Mech was done as just a modified Exo-Suit and is kind of the "base model" of it, with normal grabbing hands for loading/moving things and no specialized tools/attachments.

I did make mining variants of both mechs:

I was also trying to keep the size of the Heavy Mech from getting too large, and I couldn't come up with arm/leg designs that look how I want but aren't too big. Adding too much around the shoulders limits the arms' range of motion.

Norfair

I just bought

Freeco Speeder 2010 8085
Tie Fighter * 2012 9492