• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I think I've finally got my Lego spending under control. I haven't bought a single set since the TIE Advanced Prototype, and I'll just have to wait for the summer Bionicle wave and then I'm done. No more spending 100 bucks on a single set, I'm free at-

ep8Qa8C.jpg

eRZ8xMJ.jpg
FUCK I WANT THIS NOW

willp2003

That F40 looks great, can't wait to see the designer video. It also comes out a day before my birthday, so that's my present to myself (and maybe the creator jet plane as well!).

Huh. Looks pretty blocky to me. Maybe I need to be a fan of the original car.

I was thinking the same thing about the back part. Rest of it looks pretty slick. I'm not a car person so thankfully I can skip that one. I might have bought it as an "investment" if there weren't so many sets I want already. I have bitten on the Speed Champions, but the price point and minifig scale sold me on those.

willp2003

Getting the stickers lined up on the curves of the front corners of the bumper/fender might prove a bit tricky. Looking forward to a better picture of the rear and that engine.

willp2003

Apparently Lego asked the main websites to pull the images until they could reveal it at 13:00 BST (in just over an hour's time of this post), so hopefully that will mean the designer video will be posted. I couldn't quite make out the dimensions, but it looked like 14 x 27 or 28 (presumably cms).

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO is becoming increasingly meddling in the world of fans when it comes to these leaks. Not surprsing but asking news sites to pull it down doesn't keep people from seeing it on places like reddit or imageboards.

ghostmind

LaSpssL.jpg

10248 Ferarri F40, 1,158 pieces.
US $89.99, €89.99, £69.99, DKK 799. Available Mid-July 2015.

Build your very own Ferrari F40!

Experience the iconic Ferrari F40 firsthand, with sleek aerodynamic lines, vented, hinged rear hatch, opening doors and detailed interior.

Get up close to one of the world’s greatest supercars—the Ferrari F40! This awesome LEGO® Creator Expert replica of the iconic sports car with its sleek aerodynamic lines, distinctive rear spoiler and racing-red bodywork is packed with authentic brick-built details, including pop-up headlights, side air intakes and a vented rear hatch that opens to reveal a twin-turbocharged, 90-degree V8 engine! Open the doors and you’ll discover complete authenticity, right down to the crafted cabled door handles, steering wheel with Ferrari logo and 2 red racing seats, while under the hood you’ll find a luggage compartment and tools. A special windscreen element with printed A-pillars and custom-made, molded rim inserts with sturdy, road-gripping tires add the final touches to this intricately designed model, a must-have for all Ferrari fans!

• Features an array of brick-built details, including a hinged, vented rear hatch, detailed twin-turbocharged, 90 degree V8 engine with quick release function, opening doors and hood with luggage compartment and tools, pop-up headlights, cabled door handles, windscreen element with printed A-pillars, steering wheel with Ferrari logo, 2 red racing seats and custom-made, molded rim inserts.
  • Ferrari F40 measures over 3” (8cm) high, 10” (27cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.

Data, facts and stories about the Ferrari F40
A classic bright red racing chassis – the similarity of the LEGO model with its role model is immediately apparent thanks to the typical colour. Of the original Ferrari F40, there were just two models in black and less than ten in yellow besides the classic red hue. One of the extremely rare white F40 productions went directly to the Ferrari Museum in Maranello.

The Ferrari F40 is the last work produced under the direction of Enzo Ferrari. It is one of the most sought after models by the Italian manufacturer. With its 4.36 meters length, 1.97 width and 1.13 height, the Ferrari has a highly streamlined shape. The LEGO replica of the Ferrari F40 impresses with its 27cm length, 14cm width and 8cm height on a sporting scale.

The supercar owes its cult status to a number of prominent landmarks, such as the large rear spoiler and the pop-up headlamps in the contemporary style of the 1980s. With its distinctive rear-end and characteristic headlights, the LEGO Ferrari F40 faithfully copies these landmarks in great detail.

The LEGO Ferrari F40 costs just 89.99 Euros, making it a great way to fulfil your dream of owning a supercar. The selling price of the original was about 440,000 DM (about 380,000 Euros today).

The rear engine compartment on the LEGO Ferrari F40 opens to reveal the detailed V8 engine. It was due to this engine among other things that the F40 impressed as the fastest Ferrari for road use in its day. The fact that car accelerates from 0 to 200 km/h in 10.4 seconds, is still impressive performance today. This is also made possible by the low curb weight of the F40. 1,100 kg without operating fluids, it reaches a power/weight ratio of only 3.13 kg/kW, a very low value for a vehicle. The acceleration time of the LEGO Ferrari F40 is very much in the owner's own hands.

The Ferrari F40 was a product to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Ferrari. It met with unexpectedly high demand, so that a total of 1,315 vehicles were built, instead of the planned 450. It was manufactured from 1987 to 1992. Productions at that time went exclusively to selected prospects such as long-standing Ferrari customers and celebrities.

Michael Psiaki is the designer of the LEGO Ferrari F40. In this interview he talks about details and challenges while creating this super sports car.

Did the sharp lines of the F40 make it an easy car to recreate with LEGO bricks?
Actually, the more I worked on this model the more I noticed how many subtle curves there are in the car. The car gets slightly wider and taller as you move towards the back. We managed to pull this off with a clever angled section just behind the doors. It also allowed us to get a really small gap in the frame when the doors close.

Where is the spare wheel?
On the real F40 there’s a compartment under the hood that looks like it should fit an extra wheel in it, but it’s actually too small. Instead there is a can of spray that can be used to patch any flat tires. Just like the real car, the compartment on the LEGO model is too small for a wheel, so we also included the can of spray.

What is one of the more interesting parts used in the model that we can’t see in the images?
There is a tooth element used twice inside the hood of the car to provide a stop for the headlights. It fits perfectly around the wheel and provides just the right stop so the pop-up headlights rest at the correct angle when they are closed.

Where are the door handles?
The F40 was designed as a very light weight car, door handles were too heavy. Inside each door on the LEGO model you can see some bars that represent a cable on the car that would be pulled to open the door from the inside.

What is your favorite part of the model?
The front hood of the car. It has two built air intakes and is attached at an angle to the rest of the model. It was very tricky to figure out how to get that section built correctly and I was very proud that we found a way to build the air intakes from standard LEGO elements.

What was the most challenging part of the model to design?
The F40 has two opening panels, the engine cover and the front hood, they’re very large moving sections of the car and they were definitely the hardest sections to figure out how to make strong and look good at the same time. There’s a lot of advanced building techniques to make it all come together seamlessly.

Designer Video:

Osahi

Not a fan of ferrari's, so easy to resist this one, allthough I like the way you can open up the model...

Is this going to replace the Camper (one of my favourite creator sets) or the Mini (which I might need to pick up)?

LaSpssL.jpg

10248 Ferarri F40, 1,158 pieces.
US $89.99, €89.99, £69.99, DKK 799. Available Mid-July 2015.

Designer Video:

Sexy. The back end looks both accurate yet too blocky. I like how they got some of the curves on the doors themselves though. And that windscreen piece is awesome. I can't wait to see it show up in more sets.

I did giggle a little bit when he showed the pop up headlights.

Oh, and that is a fantastic price for the set. Tons of pieces, it is great looking, and it is licensed to boot. Yet it somehow comes in about $30 less than expected.

Osahi

Yup. 1300 pcs or so. For an Ideas set, that won't happen. But, hopefully it will show LEGO that a big Architecture set of that should be made.

I'd love a set like this, and as they do make big sets like Tower Bridge and Sidney Opera House (and Eiffel tower in the past), I like to believe an Arc de Triomphe is in the realm of possibilities. I hope this at least gets to 10k votes, and can be considered. You never know the make a prescedent with a big ideas set...

Fowler

Kinda torn on that Ferrari.

Great value and awesome features -- the pull-out engine is really great -- but there's something about the look that just doesn't quite work for me.

The VW Camper and Mini just seem more refined, somehow. This looks kinda amateur. I can't quite pinpoint what it is exactly, because objectively speaking, looking at the pics it seems a decent likeness. But... I don't know. Something isn't working for me.

Ferrari looks nice. I will have to buy 2 if I ever build my Mako, as it has the silver wheels that I need.

Speaking of which...

How does this look to you guys?

Kinda crummy on the armor details but this is 100x easier than learning how to put custom decals in LDD and making those decals in Illustrator.

I still have 3 or 4 more pics to do of the minifig turnarounds.

Jasoneyu

Kinda torn on that Ferrari.

Great value and awesome features -- the pull-out engine is really great -- but there's something about the look that just doesn't quite work for me.

The VW Camper and Mini just seem more refined, somehow. This looks kinda amateur. I can't quite pinpoint what it is exactly, because objectively speaking, looking at the pics it seems a decent likeness. But... I don't know. Something isn't working for me.

I think for me it looks a little to short, kinda like a chrono Q car of a F40. If they elogated it a bit more I sure it will look a lot better.

3N16MA

Banned
F40 looks good. Surprised to see no Canadian pricing as TLG usually includes it in these reveals. $89.99 U.S. is lower than expected so I'm hoping for $109.99 Canadian.

Woorloog

Banned
Ferrari looks nice. I will have to buy 2 if I ever build my Mako, as it has the silver wheels that I need.

Speaking of which...

Kinda crummy on the armor details but this is 100x easier than learning how to put custom decals in LDD and making those decals in Illustrator.

Pretty good.
Overall the Mako itself looks accurate. Good colors.
Love the biotic and omni-tool effects for the minifigs.
The Beacon is a nice addition though i feel it could use some more detail. On the other hand, that might make it a tad too big? Not that it had much detail in the game, i think. Love the green antenna representing the energy beam.

A couple of issues though.
First, Ashley's armor should be red, not pink.
Second, the Mako's front looks a bit odd, most likely due to the blocky axle housing. Though i guess it is kind of unavoidable. It might help if the lower part of the front was even lower.

3N16MA

Banned
Isn't 89 usually 99?

The camper and mini are both $20 more for us Canadians so I'm assuming the F40 also tacks on $20 to the U.S. price. TLG has been pretty good not bumping up Canadian prices despite the tumble the dollar has taken. Looks to have stabilized at around 80 cents.

Speaking of which...

I'm super busy now but next month I may be more free n I do a lot of illustrator work, maybe I can help? I can't promise too much but just seeing :)

A couple of issues though.
First, Ashley's armor should be red, not pink.
Second, the Mako's front looks a bit odd, most likely due to the blocky axle housing. Though i guess it is kind of unavoidable. It might help if the lower part of the front was even lower.

I thought Ashley's armor was red as well but all the pics I've found from Eden Prime seem to show it as pink/magenta, so I went with that. I don't have ME1 installed on my PS3 anymore to check.

I had to make the bottom blocky so there's room inside for Ash and Kaidain to sit at some controls, otherwise it could be smoother.

On the off chance this would get approved for an actual set, they'd do their own research and correct any of my mistakes.

I'm super busy now but next month I may be more free n I do a lot of illustrator work, maybe I can help? I can't promise too much but just seeing :)

Thanks, but I think the rules state that all the work has to be your own.

Plus, I really don't want to futz around with editing files/text stuff to get custom decals to work -- that stuff just gives me headaches and frustration. :p

The camper and mini are both $20 more for us Canadians so I'm assuming the F40 also tacks on $20 to the U.S. price. TLG has been pretty good not bumping up Canadian prices despite the tumble the dollar has taken. Looks to have stabilized at around 80 cents.

You are right, and I am wrong. For some reason I thought the recent Avengers Tower & Quinjet sets were $10 more, but they are $15 & $20 respectively. Theoretically it should be $110 CDN but they'll probably price it at $120 to keep it in line with the Cooper & VW.

I should really start exclusively redeeming my points in the US. This exchange rate is killer.

Is it just me or does the Ferrari seem.. too small?

I was honestly expecting something like the Camper.. even the Mini seems like it's bigger.

I know that taller doesn't equate to bigger over all, but there's just something... about it. Maybe once I see it in person I'll change my mind.

Fowler

Is it just me or does the Ferrari seem.. too small?

I was honestly expecting something like the Camper.. even the Mini seems like it's bigger.

I know that taller doesn't equate to bigger over all, but there's just something... about it. Maybe once I see it in person I'll change my mind.

Yeah, that might be what's bothering me. Something feels off.

gsrjedi

I'll have to see the Ferrari in person, the pictures aren't grabbing me and making me want to buy it over the VW Camper or Mini Cooper.

Interested to see how it scales to the older Ferrari line. Will it look weird next to the Enzo (the only one I have)

Woorloog

Banned
I thought Ashley's armor was red as well but all the pics I've found from Eden Prime seem to show it as pink/magenta, so I went with that. I don't have ME1 installed on my PS3 anymore to check.

I had to make the bottom blocky so there's room inside for Ash and Kaidain to sit at some controls, otherwise it could be smoother.

On the off chance this would get approved for an actual set, they'd do their own research and correct any of my mistakes.

Looks red to me.
At least, more red than anything else IMO.
(There's armor for Wrex in the game that's clearly pink. I still don't understand what the artists were thinking.)

Reckon Mass Effect doesn't have good chances at Lego Ideas though, even if it gets the votes. Unfortunately.

Still worth a try of course.

Oh, and if you want another ME project, the Alliance's space fighter could make a pretty good lego set.

Looks red to me.
At least, more red than anything else IMO.
(There's armor for Wrex in the game that's clearly pink. I still don't understand what the artists were thinking.)

Reckon Mass Effect doesn't have good chances at Lego Ideas though, even if it gets the votes. Unfortunately.

Still worth a try of course.

Oh, and if you want another ME project, the Alliance's space fighter could make a pretty good lego set.

Hmm, I'll change it to red, I like it better that way.

And yeah, seeing how there isn't anything Mass Effect related already on the Ideas site... I'm guessing I'll be getting a "Thanks, but no thanks" message after submitting it.

ghostmind

PSA: The Winter Soldier promo poly is now gone from S@H in North America.

If you still wanted one, you might have luck at your local LEGO store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom