• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2015 plan had the Winter Village Toy Shop listed for this year. Now is that a reissue of the original, a new version, or a placeholder name?

Better not be a re-issue because I paid over MSRP for the Toy Shop. Luckily not too much more.

LEGO is very good about not doing reissues I think. I only know about LEGO Legends being reissues. On the other hand, LEGO rehashes previous sets to no end when it comes to City and Star Wars.

Blizzard

Banned
I just picked up the Fontana di Trevi in Barnes & Noble today with a 20% off coupon plus the member card discount. It's $50 base price.

I picked it up since there was only one, it looked neat, and it had way more pieces (731) than some of the similarly priced architecture sets there (500-600) for the exact same price. Of course, a bunch of those pieces may be tiny, but still.

Picture from LEGO website:
hma8z.png

I'm getting worried about this set.

It's still currently on S@H on lego.com, but it's actually out of stock at one TRU that I frequent. Granted online it shows it's in a few other stores in my vicinity. I was hoping to get it at a decent sale or something, but it hardly has gone down from what I've seen.

Amazon according to camelcamelcamel has only gone as low as $121.55 on Apr 02, 2015.

I was gonna wait until fall for double VIP points or a decent sale, but this may become a scarce set to find. I'm almost also positive it will go up in price due to the unique dragon. Smaug alone goes for around $50 right now. Also, almost all of the minifigs in that set go for around $6 so even if I didn't care about those, I could sell those off.

Is this set on anyone else's radar? I'm thinking I may just have to bite the bullet and actually almost pay MSRP which is rare for me at this price point.

I ended up getting Dol Guldur Battle at close to MSRP for same reason. Radagast and Azog were the only minifigs I cared about in that set though so I may have been better off paying the premium for just the minifigs. I have plenty of LEGO parts now.

neonglow

I'm getting worried about this set.

It's still currently on S@H on lego.com, but it's actually out of stock at one TRU that I frequent. Granted online it shows it's in a few other stores in my vicinity. I was hoping to get it at a decent sale or something, but it hardly has gone down from what I've seen.

Amazon according to camelcamelcamel has only gone as low as $121.55 on Apr 02, 2015.

I was gonna wait until fall for double VIP points or a decent sale, but this may become a scarce set to find. I'm almost also positive it will go up in price due to the unique dragon. Smaug alone goes for around $50 right now. Also, almost all of the minifigs in that set go for around $6 so even if I didn't care about those, I could sell those off.

Is this set on anyone else's radar? I'm thinking I may just have to bite the bullet and actually almost pay MSRP which is rare for me at this price point.

I ended up getting Dol Guldur Battle at close to MSRP for same reason. Radagast and Azog were the only minifigs I cared about in that set though so I may have been better off paying the premium for just the minifigs. I have plenty of LEGO parts now.

I ended up picking it for 20% off a couple months ago during one of LEGO retail store's random sales. That's the cheapest I've ever seen the set.

The Five Armies set also kept it's value well too but it's finally been discounted at Amazon by 20% recently.

I ended up picking it for 20% off a couple months ago during one of LEGO retail store's random sales. That's the cheapest I've ever seen the set.

The Five Armies set also kept it's value well too but it's finally been discounted at Amazon by 20% recently.

Oh yeah, now I remember that. It was sold out in store when I tried to snag it. Sale was in-store only. LEGO is a bit motivated to clear out their in-store inventory. They are constantly getting new sets and sometimes they can't even put all the sets on the shelve so they keep a few in the backroom.

neonglow

Oh yeah, now I remember that. It was sold out in store when I tried to snag it. Sale was in-store only. LEGO is a bit motivated to clear out their in-store inventory. They are constantly getting new sets and sometimes they can't even put all the sets on the shelve so they keep a few in the backroom.

I'd probably get it soon. I don't think I've seen any LEGO The Hobbit sets at my local LEGO store lately. It's space on the rack pretty much got taken over by the Jurassic World and Bionicle sets.

I overpaid to get Lonely Mountain, but I'm happy that I have it. Smaug is very unique and I doubt we'll ever get an opportunity to get him again.

Considering the set is already discontinued in Europe, it might very well get very expensive soon. If I find it at a sale locally, I'll get another, if nothing else as a backup.

Maengun1

I just picked up the Fontana di Trevi in Barnes & Noble today with a 20% off coupon plus the member card discount. It's $50 base price.

I picked it up since there was only one, it looked neat, and it had way more pieces (731) than some of the similarly priced architecture sets there (500-600) for the exact same price. Of course, a bunch of those pieces may be tiny, but still.

hma8z.png

It's a nice set! The architecture series is really hit or miss for me, but this is one of my favorites. The horses in the fountain are kind of a pain to get in right, but it looks great on my shelf next to the tower of pisa.

Blizzard

Banned
On thing that surprised me was that Barnes & Noble was selling a build-your-own architecture set that appeared to be a giant box of mostly white bricks. (LEGO Architecture Studio)

I mean, 1,210 is a lot of bricks, but $160 is rough for a box of bricks. It's especially rough when they're mostly the same color and you could get say, the Parisian Restaurant for the same price with over double the brick count (perhaps due to smaller pieces). Apparently there are also some models shown that you can't build because certain pieces (and even a brick separator) are not included.

On the plus side, I read the book that comes with it is quite cool and talks about architectural principles.

Osahi

Got the Hot Dog Man! Wanted that one for quite some time, and felt bags every time I encountered them. Today I finally felt what I was looking for. Still, it was a relieve when I opened it and found him inside. Would have been a big letdown if it was another one...

EDIT: and my 3 in 1 superpack from Star Wars arrived too. At-AP, Kashyyk troopers and Corporate Alliance Droid for 80 euro's. But I had a 30 euro voucher to, so 50 for the whole bunch. \0/

ruxtpin

Banned
Do we know what the VIP set getting released in August is? Not the Ferrari, I thought there was another release being sold early to VIP members.

On thing that surprised me was that Barnes & Noble was selling a build-your-own architecture set that appeared to be a giant box of mostly white bricks. (LEGO Architecture Studio)

I mean, 1,210 is a lot of bricks, but $160 is rough for a box of bricks. It's especially rough when they're mostly the same color and you could get say, the Parisian Restaurant for the same price with over double the brick count (perhaps due to smaller pieces). Apparently there are also some models shown that you can't build because certain pieces (and even a brick separator) are not included.

On the plus side, I read the book that comes with it is quite cool and talks about architectural principles.

I believe that set was debut at one of the B&N event (Phon attended the event). The set used to be $149.00 and it went up to $160.00 when it came back in stock. I would like to pick it up just for the book but the price scared me off and you just remind me I forgot to use that 20% off coupon. (I was going to get Pandemic expansion).

I overpaid to get Lonely Mountain, but I'm happy that I have it. Smaug is very unique and I doubt we'll ever get an opportunity to get him again.

Considering the set is already discontinued in Europe, it might very well get very expensive soon. If I find it at a sale locally, I'll get another, if nothing else as a backup.

Oh? I haven't seen it discounted anywhere... at least no BIG discounts, sure maybe it was discounted for like 10% on amazon a while back but... :(

This is one of those sets i told myself i'd grab once it hits a big discount like 30% at LEAST but.... it just never happened :(

Guess it's too late now. I really don't want to 140 euros for this mainly for Smaug

ruxtpin

Banned
Ah. No interest in the Ninjago line. My buy list keeps building. Still need to get the Ferris Wheel, Tie Fighter, Kwik-E Mart, remaining Jurassic Park sets, and a second Detective Office.

Oh? I haven't seen it discounted anywhere... at least no BIG discounts, sure maybe it was discounted for like 10% on amazon a while back but... :(

This is one of those sets i told myself i'd grab once it hits a big discount like 30% at LEAST but.... it just never happened :(

Guess it's too late now. I really don't want to 140 euros for this mainly for Smaug

Smaug alone goes for $50 USD so about 45 euros. It's very likely the value of it won't go down in resale value.Most or all of the minifigs are unique to the set I think. They each go for around $6 USD on Bricklink.

I'm going to wait a few months to see if the set will be around for double VIP, but will grab it if it earlier if signs indicate it will no longer be available. The more I think about it, I may cave and buy it sooner and buy a 2nd one later if it goes on sale.

Fowler

Smaug alone goes for $50 USD so about 45 euros. It's very likely the value of it won't go down in resale value.Most or all of the minifigs are unique to the set I think. They each go for around $6 USD on Bricklink.

I'm going to wait a few months to see if the set will be around for double VIP, but will grab it if it earlier if signs indicate it will no longer be available. The more I think about it, I may cave and buy it sooner and buy a 2nd one later if it goes on sale.

Yeah, we have a bunch of minifig stores here and I've only ever seen Smaug once, MONTHS ago, for about $80. Thought the price would drop a bit, but...

Yeah, we have a bunch of minifig stores here and I've only ever seen Smaug once, MONTHS ago, for about $80. Thought the price would drop a bit, but...

I bought the Trex set yesterday for this very reason. Was going to Bricklink the dinosaur but for $25 more I figured I would just get the set.

Meijer has Smaug set for $110. I was waiting for the clearance price to go down but now I am worried

I just remembered one of our mottos here. "Buy now, think later." or was it "Buy now, sell for higher price later if you change your mind"?

Best keep your eyes on that prize. I have a feeling it will be a prized LEGO "animal", Smaug that is.

I just remembered one of our mottos here. "Buy now, think later." or was it "Buy now, sell for higher price later if you change your mind"?

Best keep your eyes on that prize. I have a feeling it will be a prized LEGO "animal", Smaug that is.
The set is still at most stores here. Meijer is just the first one to clearance it. I must investigate further.

Ponn

Banned
Meijer has Smaug set for $110. I was waiting for the clearance price to go down but now I am worried

I absolutely love my Smaug. It is such a great dragon figure. I was upset at the price at first too but the set is actually pretty good. You get some unique colored weapons, lots of sand green pieces and as a display piece it really is pretty cool looking with the throne (Batzarro is currently sitting on it).

I absolutely love my Smaug. It is such a great dragon figure. I was upset at the price at first too but the set is actually pretty good. You get some unique colored weapons, lots of sand green pieces and as a display piece it really is pretty cool looking with the throne (Batzarro is currently sitting on it).

It is looking like a good parts pack for my Halloween display plans.

Thank goodness the Scooby Doo line is only 5 sets. I could pass on the Lighthouse and Mummy and still have the minifigures. The Lighthouse creature looks like the Monster Fighters swamp creature, which I already have.

Ponn

Banned
Thank goodness the Scooby Doo line is only 5 sets. I could pass on the Lighthouse and Mummy and still have the minifigures. The Lighthouse creature looks like the Monster Fighters swamp creature, which I already have.

I'm planning on getting all of them on aug 1st. I think that will be the first time i've done that with a theme. So excited. I'm also waiting for some of those Ninjago sets for the first time.

Ryuuroden

Welp just started the orders for the new project :D Spent 330 dollars across 12 orders. I'm so excited about this new project. It is already a much more complex build than Orthanc was.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

hma8z.png

I got this for my mom for Christmas last year. She has absolutely zero interest in LEGO, but she loves Trevi Fountain.

She loved the gift and said she had fun building it.

Ryuuroden

Give us a hint. Can't wait to see it.

I don't really want to give too many hints but I am look for collaborators for Brickworld Chicago 2016 if there are any of you out there interested in going and contributing to a potential NeoGaf collaborative. I have come up with a basic steampunk world theme and I am making a massive steampunk capital airship. Going to build a PVC pipe rigging to hang stuff from, going to need floating islands and ore mines and Pirate airships and such and perhaps a mining village. Really the sky is the limit for making something epic for Brickworld next year. Really, it can be that massive. The potential is there. It might not happen in the first year, just depends on how much I have to do on my own and who else might want to get involved. If it is just me, It will just be a air battleship (Potentially up to 5 feet in length) which means I need lots of pirates and rebels to mass against it lol. Minimum I want to go is have a Air Battle going. What I would love to see happen is multiple floating islands with fighter aircraft hangers or mining facilities for the ore (The idea is the world has discovered a ore that when power is supplied to it, it creates levitation but only upwards and downwards levitation. In order to move forward you still need steampowered turboprops or the like. So basically the ore is under the control of a single company/guild/country and others are trying to break that control. That is the basic idea for a story. The ship I am building would be monopolistic groups ship. My ideas are heavily influenced by the anime "Last Exile" but I want to do a different take on it while still playing with some of the ships designs like vanships but instead of claudia units they will be prop driven with levitation stones which will allow them to look not like airplanes. Anyways, enough rambling.

So if I can get enough people involved it means potentially more landscape, etc. I am only going to get into the specifics of ship design with people who get involved with the project but ship design will be fairly open ended as each nation will have its own ship design culture, etc and will just be held to the fact that all it needs is a means to propel it forward as well as something that signifies that it uses a levitation unit to float in the sky so it would have to be built with horizontal reinforcement or have sub units. Anyways, I am really just getting started on designing the world.

Blizzard

Banned
I got this for my mom for Christmas last year. She has absolutely zero interest in LEGO, but she loves Trevi Fountain.

She loved the gift and said she had fun building it.
I just built it today. It looks nice and I like the neat touch of blue transparent bricks on the back with clear transparent bricks in front of them. The result is something in between both, especially if light shines through the model.

The horses in the fountain were indeed both flimsy and hard to put in. I was afraid they were going to fall apart by themselves thanks to the 2x1 pieces with a single bump on the underside, but it seems to be staying in place now.

Overall the finished model appears quite classy.

Wave 2!!! One can only hope. :)

I'm planning on getting all of them on aug 1st. I think that will be the first time i've done that with a theme. So excited. I'm also waiting for some of those Ninjago sets for the first time.

I'm gonna be all over those new Ninjago sets. I watch the show with my kids and this "ghost" series and the writing is still decent. I keep wondering how they will keep things going with the show and they are able to. I guess it's not very different than Power Rangers or Pokemon. Pokemon is nowhere near it's peak days, but it's still going.

Maengun1

I can't wait for Scooby Doo either. The Mystery Machine (duh), Lighthouse and Mansion are must-haves .... I'll probably pick up the 2 smaller sets too because why not.

wetwired

Have any of you guys or gals had an experience with airbrushing\model paint? I'm needing to paint the airtanks of the custom spacemen to colour match LEGO colours. I bought 3 cans of tamiya paint that looked like a close match for these 3 colours below, Dark Green and Purple are close enough (IMO) but orange is a bit dark. My next option is buying an airbrush and colour matching manually. But I have no real experience with that.

They need another coat as I've missed a few bits/it's a bit thin in places but you get the idea

airtanks.jpg

teeny

The Scooby sets are amazing, can't wait to add them to my Lego Movies Shelf :)

And I have just discovered Brick Link. It might be a bit of a Lego cliché, but I decided to make a mini scale ship from Super Metroid and started using the parts I had. Found Brick Link and now I have three orders on the way and am forming some ideas for a Diorama including models for Ridley, Kraid and Mother Brain (and Metroids, of course).

Also stated the Parisian Restaurant with the other half last night.

I am addicted.

Ryuuroden

One of the bricklink stores I ordered 500 of a single type of brick cancelled my order saying they didn't have it or maybe they mispriced it. They said typo. So I had to scramble this morning adding ammounts of it to other orders I had placed for 3 times the price. I don't think I will give any negative feedback because they let me know like 5 hours after I submitted it which gave me time to scramble.

Also, I picked up like over 100 of one type of brick that has only 800 listed worldwide but it's not a quest to own them all. I hopefully won't need more than that cause the next bulk ammount of it jumps to 90 cents a brick.

Same here, I picked it up for the 20% off back during the double vip points in the spring. They had 5 on the shelf and when I left a half hour later they were down to two lol. Very glad I got the set when I did.

Well, I got started on my next custom modular by putting in a fairly large PAB and B&P order. It turns out that a ton of old bricks can be found from B&P, as long as they're not wanted for other major builds. For example, 2x2 red panels are fairly hard to find on BL, but Lego has them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

hma8z.png

This is really nice. I picked up the UN Headquarters recently and I think this + The Whitehouse would go well with it. Might need to take a trip to the lego store soon.

Has anyone picked up 75094, the new Imperial Shuttle? Wondering how it compares with the UCS version? I have the UCS but this new one looks really nice too - might go well with my smaller SW ships.

willp2003

Yeah I've got the new shuttle. I really like it, but I can't compare it to the UCS as I don't have it. It's pretty large, especially when displayed with the wings down (which looks best as the underside of the wings aren't particularly attractive).
B174B50C-532B-4064-A775-0A37BC8F2A0E_zpsqwmbmolt.jpg

Oh, DC set reveal. I dont remember any rumors going around. Surprise set? The Ninjago is probably the temple.

Fingers crossed the dc set is a swamp thing set. they can throw a bat-hoverboat with swamp gear batman and some swamp scenery in there.

Nintendo threads on gaming-side have trained me well for coming up with nonsensical hopes and dreams prior to product announcements.

Fingers crossed the dc set is a swamp thing set. they can throw a bat-hoverboat with swamp gear batman and some swamp scenery in there.

Nintendo threads on gaming-side have trained me well for coming up with nonsensical hopes and dreams prior to product announcements.

Swamp Thing with Animal Man as the b-character. I'd be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom