• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Christ, looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet on the last 3 hobbit sets I am missing including Battle of 5 armies and The Lonely Mountain. I called like 30 different walmarts, Meijers, Targets, and some independents in the central Ohio region and not only do none of them have those 3 on sale but they don't even have them in stock anymore and won't be getting them back. Many of them only got 2 or 3 sets back when it came out they said and never got restock.

Guess I am going to have to bit the bullet and pay full price on Amazon which I have NEVER had to do before. Looking at Brickset statistics, they are actually pretty highly owned sets (except for The Lonely Mountain) I don't want to risk missing out on a Dragon that will obviously be pricy in the future

Also based on your guys worries, I picked up that Walmart exclusive and while I was at that walmart (They had like 60 raptor sets, an entire aisle display shelf), I picked up a bunch of other sets that were on clearance including the rest of the first 2 waves of Ultra Agents I wanted and some technic sets for gears and rotors and stuff and to teach myself techniques :D. I will list my current July haul later just because its unusually big.

Christ, looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet on the last 3 hobbit sets I am missing including Battle of 5 armies and The Lonely Mountain. I called like 30 different walmarts, Meijers, Targets, and some independents in the central Ohio region and not only do none of them have those 3 on sale but they don't even have them in stock anymore and won't be getting them back. Many of them only got 2 or 3 sets back when it came out they said and never got restock.

Guess I am going to have to bit the bullet and pay full price on Amazon which I have NEVER had to do before. Looking at Brickset statistics, they are actually pretty highly owned sets (except for The Lonely Mountain) I don't want to risk missing out on a Dragon that will obviously be pricy in the future

Also based on your guys worries, I picked up that Walmart exclusive and while I was at that walmart (They had like 60 raptor sets, an entire aisle display shelf), I picked up a bunch of other sets that were on clearance including the rest of the first 2 waves of Ultra Agents I wanted and some technic sets for gears and rotors and stuff and to teach myself techniques :D. I will list my current July haul later just because its unusually big.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna order it on Amazon right now. It's 4% below MSRP so you won't be paying full price. :) You could order through LEGO S@H and get 5% back in VIP points plus the freebie polybag bonus (~$5 value).

Order confirmed.

I'll definitely snag 1 more if it ever goes on sale, but even if it did it probably would be snapped up and sold out before I got to it like the 20% in-store sale I missed awhile back.

Ant Man set built!

So much better than it looks via the box art. I'm happy I picked it up. Including Hank Pym was unnecessary (he's not on any box art, only his minifig in the corner), but I'm really happy to see him. He looks great. All 3 figs are phenomenal, but the flying ant deserves praise as well. All the transparencies within the helmets are impressive. It's very intricate and subtle and sets them apart from other minifigs.

Now I need to do that tiny fig...

The Bootleg Avengers

A6CF28DE-59D1-4DF1-B307-3BC3B7E384E8.jpg

And my decent tiny Ant Man attempt:

41C2D6B2-6E43-4CFE-BB5E-694FAEC378F8.jpg

I have enough heroes and villians to make lots of group shots and alternative teams now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Chrome is one thing -- I agree that they could get to that eventually -- but releasing it without the cape is a tragedy equally as large. I hope she comes with one.

ghostmind

Chrome is one thing -- I agree that they could get to that eventually -- but releasing it without the cape is a tragedy equally as large. I hope she comes with one.

These are Mexico factory leaks, so they are incomplete (many have incorrect or solid black minifigure heads), so the possibility of a cape (and more individualized weaponry) is strong.

Black umbilical cord one is interesting. Looks cool, but helmet will not be very reusable.

My favorite is the pearl silver trooper in the middle. Wouldn't mind an army of those.

Not liking the white troop much. If that's the one missing some sort of cape, maybe it may look better.

Woorloog

Banned
Black umbilical cord one is interesting. Looks cool, but helmet will not be very reusable.

My favorite is the pearl silver trooper in the middle. Wouldn't mind an army of those.

Not liking the white troop much. If that's the one missing some sort of cape, maybe it may look better.

The silver trooper (Captain Phasma) should have cape. The white trooper is a Flametrooper and (probably) should have a back-tank and a flamethrower instead of a blaster rifle.

Not sure how any of the helmets would be very re-usable though, they're Star Wars things and that would stick out.
Unless you're thinking like custom Star Wars minifig, say a black-armored Stormtrooper and use the TIE pilot hlemet to represent that?

Makes a good scuba trooper though. An air-tank (the standard two-tank version with nothing extra works probably best) and flippers... Yeah, it would look nice i think.

Not that it helps, but it is soo good. I would like to make a better Launch tower for it though, might see if there are any Mods that do that

Oh man, I didn't recognise the number 10231, so I googled it, I cant believe that thing came out twice in the years that I wasn't buying lego.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

me too, and that new shuttle is just making it worse rather than better.

I bit the bullet and bought one for $250 ..... this thread is potentially a very dangerous place.

Ryuuroden

After a few quiet months leading up to Brickworld, I went all out on purchases the last week and a half due to all the streams crossing.

July purchases so far:

The Hobbit
-79012 Mirkwood Elf Army
-79015 Witch King Battle
-79016 Attack on Lake-town
-79017 The Battle of the Five Armies
-79018 The Lonely Mountain

Jurassic world
-75920 Raptor Escape

Star Wars
-75078 Imperial Troop Transport
-75081 T-16 Skyhopper

Marvel
-76020 Knowhere Escape Mission
-76021 The Milano Spaceship Rescue

Ultra Agents
-70168 Drillex Diamond Job
-70169 Agent Stealth Patrol

Technic
-2x 42020 Twin Rotor Helicopter
-42025 Cargo Plane

-10 Large Pick a Brick cups

-10,000 brick lugbulk order arrived and had to be paid for

-10 bricklink orders totaling $350

Will be awesome once I have all the bulk sorted and added to the inventory database. So much additional material to build with.

While I was updating brickset I looked at some of my collection statistics.

Sets owned by year now:
2008: 12
2009: 35
2010: 48
2011: 67
2012: 84
2013: 105
2014: 125 + 12 wanted
2015: 47 + 69 wanted (includes a bunch of dimensions stuff which will probably replace mixils and cmf since classic style cmf is only like 2 times a year now.)

It is possible still that I could buy more 2015 sets than I did 2014 sets since those wanted numbers do not include force awakens sets or monster cmf which is like another 16 and 8 sets.

My top 5 themes for piece count (based on one copy of each set so mine is not completely accurate as I own many duplicates of advanced models and creator sets.:

1. Advanced Models
2. Star Wars
3. City
4. The Lord of the Rings
5. The Lego Movie

Themes I am the most complete on:

1. The Lego Movie 82%
2. Mixels 80%
3. CMF 78%
4. The Lord of the Rings 71%
5. The Hobbit 66%

Edit: remarkably, even with the constant increase in number of sets from each year I buy, the amount I spend stays relatively constant according to the charts. I am not sure if it counts when I have purchased multiple modulars and so on, though.

ruxtpin

Banned
Didn't realize the Raptor Escape was already so difficult to find until someone mentioned it in this thread. Sets have only been out a month or so!

Ponn

Banned
Just a heads up Amazon has some random discounts on Lego sets right now. Don't have a complete list but things like Quinjet 2.0 for $68, Avengers Tower for $52 and some last wave Hobbit sets discounted as well.

Didn't realize the Raptor Eacape was already so difficult to find until someone mentioned it in this thread. Sets have only been out a month or so!

Zombies 2.0. But I feel this set will increase in value much faster since it has two exclusive dinosaurs. The dinos would command a good dollar anyways, but now you add super rarity to it and it will be crazy.

Just a heads up Amazon has some random discounts on Lego sets right now. Don't have a complete list but things like Quinjet 2.0 for $68, Avengers Tower for $52 and some last wave Hobbit sets discounted as well.

Lonely Mountain at $5 off! Whoo hoo!

But on a serious note: Quinjet. It's all about that Quinjet.

woodypop

I wonder if this is in response to the 20% off sale Toys R Us is having right now.

Ponn

Banned
Lonely Mountain at $5 off! Whoo hoo!

But on a serious note: Quinjet. It's all about that Quinjet.

yea, not that one, hehe. Actually I was looking at Battle of Five Armies for $52. That's mostly for figs for most people though so not sure. I'm looking at the parts for my Bank moc though so I think i'm going to bite, and I need a Bard and Thorin fig.

Found another, Shuttle Tydirium for $84. That one might get some attention.

I'm thinking of getting the shuttle and a 2nd Avengers tower.

Rootbeer

Banned
target needs to price match this sale for another 5% off :p Damn I'm a cheap bastard.

I might stop into target in the morning and get me a shuttle, price matched.

I also need the Naboo Starfighter. been waiting on a sale on each.

woodypop

Pulled the trigger on the Tydirium. Amazon says it'll arrive Wednesday.

I'm not a huge fan of this version, but it'll help ease the urge to open my UCS Imperial Shuttle.

Pulled the trigger on the Tydirium. Amazon says it'll arrive Wednesday.

I'm not a huge fan of this version, but it'll help ease the urge to open my UCS Imperial Shuttle.

Wait, you have the UCS Imperial Shuttle and haven't opened it? Open it! Bask in its magnificence and enormity.

Oh, and it is the most brutal kind of set as well. No numbered bags!

Ponn

Banned
Im a madman. Tydirium, 2 x Avengers tower, AWD Battle of five armies for $45. All ordered. I seriously need to stop.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well guys. The shuttle discount hit slickdeals. Better get one before it sells out. Unless you want to wait for a larger than 16% discount down the road.

Just finished Indominus Rex Breakout, and it was a pretty nice set. I like how it uses the mech joint pieces to get the angles and hinges for the walls, and that it is a uniquely shaped enclosure in the end instead of just four walls and a door on one of them.

Aside from the joints used as hinges on the walls, there weren't any unique techniques of note in the build. It was a rather solid build from beginning to end, and has tons of useful pieces if you are making building MOCs.

The Indominus Rex is obviously the standout of the set. The pictures don't do the dino justice, as it is so much cooler in person than the box leads you to believe. And it even has posable hands because the wrists rotate.

For the price, this set is actually pretty fairly priced. 1156pcs for $130. That is only a slight markup considering that you get mostly unique figures, and one unique dino that most likely won't show up in anything else. Top it off that there are many larger bricks (like walls and fences) in decent quantities in the set, and that it is a licensed set it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal in the end. Especially compared to the earlier Dino series.

It is funny that both flagship sets for Dino and Jurassic World are just enclosures for a dinosaur.

Are there better sets for the price of this one? Of course. You could spend $20 more and get a modular with nearly twice as many bricks and a better build. But those don't come with a giant dinosaur figure.

In the end, as with all the JW sets, it is just a glorified parts pack I justified buying to get bricks and dinosaurs and not much else.

ruxtpin

Banned
Good write up and sounds about like what I was expecting from the sets. I need to order the Indominus set and a few of the smaller ones so I can have a full JW set. May get doubles cuz I want the dinos and I really want to MOC some Jurassic Park stuff eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom