• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how modulars are. A set of bags per floor. Town Hall first floor is just huge.

If you hate that, don't get Tower Bridge. No numbered bags. :)

I guess i don't mind so much the fact that theres so many bags just that they won't fit on my current table... and also that somehow i WAS able to do Best Star just fine which has more pieces but now this one is giving me trouble...

I guess i will just have to mix a bunch of bags into a container so i won't get swamped in containers and have no room left to build.

(oh and i DO own Tower Bridge of course, just haven't unsealed it yet but i hear it's pretty beastly)

glaurung

OK LEGO-GAF, I don't post in here very often. But when I do, it better be important.

I just picked up this baby from the store:
legokwikemart.jpg
Haven't had a chance to open her up yet to eyeball the colors. I was disappointed with the lame blueberry yoghurt color of The Simpsons house. Hopefully this is better.

ruxtpin

Banned
Gah. I love the colors on the Simpsons sets. I've got the house but it's not been built yet. I liked how it looked on display in the store.

Maybe when I'm home for two weeks I'll reward myself with one of the bigger sets I'm missing (either the UCS Tie, Kwik Mart, Ferrari, or Ferris wheel).

Gah. I love the colors on the Simpsons sets. I've got the house but it's not been built yet. I liked how it looked on display in the store.

Maybe when I'm home for two weeks I'll reward myself with one of the bigger sets I'm missing (either the UCS Tie, Kwik Mart, Ferrari, or Ferris wheel).

Or all of them. :)

But of those, Ferris Wheel is the best I think. And is a magnificent display piece. Of course, I still need Kwik-E-Mart for myself.

Christian

So what do you guys do with your boxes? The video game collector in me insists on keeping them, but I don't really know if it increases the value of the set that much, once it's opened, and it's starting to consume more than a small amount of space. I don't really want to rent storage space just to keep LEGO boxes, and I don't think I'm ever going to sell my stuff. Doesn't mean my kids or grandkids won't try to unload them when I'm dead.

ghostmind

Man FUCK Town Hall... i was just opening the box to finally build mine when... i see that it has like a THOUSAND Nr. 1 bags what gives????

So far, i always used my little work table in the living room to build even huge sets, i mean the Death Star was built on this but this set here is pushing it to the very LIMITS! Even when i organize the bags into containers, there's probably NO way to fit em all onto my table :(

I hope you like installing small window panes, because TH has them in spades.

Don't get me wrong, I love the TH in general, but that first floor can get very monotonous.

Jimbro72

OK LEGO-GAF, I don't post in here very often. But when I do, it better be important.

I just picked up this baby from the store:Haven't had a chance to open her up yet to eyeball the colors. I was disappointed with the lame blueberry yoghurt color of The Simpsons house. Hopefully this is better.

Having just put mine together in the past month, I do think it's better. I like the color of it and the amount of interior detail is incredible. A fun set to put together especially if you like all those small details that go into a set. A ton of stickers, though, but also a ton of printed pieces, which is nice.

So what do you guys do with your boxes? The video game collector in me insists on keeping them, but I don't really know if it increases the value of the set that much, once it's opened, and it's starting to consume more than a small amount of space. I don't really want to rent storage space just to keep LEGO boxes, and I don't think I'm ever going to sell my stuff. Doesn't mean my kids or grandkids won't try to unload them when I'm dead.

I flatten all my small, medium and some of the bigger ones down and slide them into the really large boxes, like the USC and modular size boxes. Seems like you can fit up to 15-20 in one huge box if I remember correctly. Still can take up a bit of room when you're dealing with 100's of boxes but way less than if you never broke down any.

Ryuuroden

Well exclusive set boxes can get quite pricy in value. Like the green grocer box just by itself sells for like 200 dollars. I think it's worth it to keep licenced and exclusive sets boxes in particular. As well as ideas and architecture.

Well, my girlfriend already constantly yells at me for my videogame, comic book and lego collections so there's no way in hell I'd get away with taking up even more space in our apartment with friggin empty boxes. They go straight to the trash, YOLO

Well, my girlfriend already constantly yells at me for my videogame, comic book and lego collections so there's no way in hell I'd get away with taking up even more space in our apartment with friggin empty boxes. They go straight to the trash, YOLO

I break them down then hide them behind bookcases and under beds. They get out of the way, and it gives less places for the cats to hide when they need to go to the vet.

Christian

I've broken them down. I was thinking about stowing them under the bed in the guest bedroom. I just don't know if that's enough space...

Ponn

Banned
Oh yea, Wu's Dragon was already an awesome price per piece ratio but just snagged one of AWD for $32 and I might even have it before the 1st.

Don't get me wrong, I love the TH in general, but that first floor can get very monotonous.

More windows than GE? Hmmm, either way, that first floor already looks like it is 2/3 of the whole build with all those Nr.1 Bags...

Christian

Just disassembled Grand Emporium last night to make room for some of the new sets I picked up. It was almost as boring taking it apart as it was putting it together...

Rootbeer

Banned
I bought simpsons house day 1 but i've been holding off on the Kwik-E-Mart. I am most definitely getting it... just gotta wait for a slow month to hit :p Been far too packed lately (not just LEGO, but other stuff)

Got Skull Basher at toys r us today. What's with toys r us and breaking street dates? This is like the third time I've gotten something three days early.

Got Skull Basher at toys r us today. What's with toys r us and breaking street dates? This is like the third time I've gotten something three days early.

Being on a tight budget this week has prevented me from doing so, but from the looks of it I'll just wait till Aug 1st and head to the Lego store and get those VIP points.

And the second floor. And the third floor. And... ooooh, some neat building going on with this roof... oh, it's finished.

As for boxes, I keep the modulars and exclusives in my closet (although it's getting hard to fit more stuff) and everything else gets thrown out. My original pre-dark age Lego that still has boxes is obviously kept as is, but I wonder if a) I'll ever sell it and b) if it will be worth 30 years of storage for slightly better values since the parts are still heavily played with.

secret rob

Neo Member
It does take up a ton of space after awhile.
I am curious to reassemble a lot of the boxes just to see how much space it takes up.

As someone who tends to only build and display, I break them down and keep the manual and spare parts with each set in the box. Then I put them in big plastic bins, which can hold a ton of boxes after they are broken down.

Man, skull Basher is great. Just finished building him. The function on him is really unique and made for an interesting build. I really like it, I might squeeze him as a stress toy sometimes lol. I hope Lego continues to come up with interesting functions. That's one thing I didn't like about the original Bionicle run, there was mostly just the regular swinging arms. And then later on there was nothing.

It's interesting that you say that. I absolutely loved the first floor of the Town Hall. I really liked the elevated aspect to it, and those doors are awesome.

I just realized that I can't go to the LEGO store on Aug 1st because all the trains are closed for track repairs in the bay area that entire weekend :|

Gonna have to get everything online. Kinda bummed!

Bart trains will still run this weekend. Only the transbay tube is closed. They'll have extra buses running between Embarcadero and West Oakland stations but it'll probably be a pain in the ass to ride them and then get on Bart.

GO GO GO GO!!!

I placed order for 2 Raptor Escape sets to get free shipping. Was so focused on getting order through I forgot to check if I got a promo.

LEGO Shop @ Home

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Jurassic-World-ByTheme

EDIT: I've been thinking about it and I'm sure LEGO has done additional production runs especially for sets like Lex Luthor Armor that was in retail stores for 2+ years. The demand is so high for the dinosaur sets, I would imagine retail stores are demanding more...Runs for the dinosaurs must be more complicated too so that could be a deterrent for another run. Also, LEGO has to be in high gear for XMas production runs so may be harder to fit in another run. Who knows, we'll see. I want to get my exclusive Raptors so much...I'm willing to pay MSRP for them!!!

mrkgoo

You know what though, I do tend to build any City vehicle mirrored so that they are more like Australian vehicles. Can't have they driving on the wrong side of the road.

lol, I do this as well for my cars.

One day it will catch me out if they use a particular wing piece for one side.

wetwired

GO GO GO GO!!!

I placed order for 2 Raptor Escape sets to get free shipping. Was so focused on getting order through I forgot to check if I got a promo.

LEGO Shop @ Home

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Jurassic-World-ByTheme

EDIT: I've been thinking about it and I'm sure LEGO has done additional production runs especially for sets like Lex Luthor Armor that was in retail stores for 2+ years. The demand is so high for the dinosaur sets, I would imagine retail stores are demanding more...Runs for the dinosaurs must be more complicated too so that could be a deterrent for another run. Also, LEGO has to be in high gear for XMas production runs so may be harder to fit in another run. Who knows, we'll see. I want to get my exclusive Raptors so much...I'm willing to pay MSRP for them!!!

Australian retailers have been told there will be no more shipments of JW sets :(

wetwired

More I see of this the more i'm thinking of not jumping in at launch. Yea I think i'm just going to pick up the ones that may sell out like Dr Who but wait for either sales or more positive feedback.

What sets are actually announced for launch? I just want Ghostbusters, BTTF and Portal 2

Ponn

Banned
What sts are actually announced for launch? I just want Ghostbusters, BTTF and Portal 2

The dates seem to vary from Sept through Nov. but so far BttF, Lego Movie, DC, Dr. Who, Portal, Jurassic World, Scooby Doo and that one Wizard of Oz set. Ghostbusters hasn't been officially announced yet. I'm thinking the ones to get for collection purposes are the Dr. Who sets, Wizard of Oz, Portal and Doc Brown.

wetwired

The dates seem to vary from Sept through Nov. but so far BttF, Lego Movie, DC, Dr. Who, Portal, Jurassic World, Scooby Doo and that one Wizard of Oz set. Ghostbusters hasn't been officially announced yet. I'm thinking the ones to get for collection purposes are the Dr. Who sets, Wizard of Oz, Portal and Doc Brown.

Hmm I'm no fan of dr who but that might be worth getting if I plan on doing a crazy city scene with tv and film characters everywhere, as much as I don't like it the phone booth is iconic

No love at my store. Maybe tomorrow.
They have to actually scan the product to make the new price. It is weird. I did a price check on Darkseid and it was still $50. But I went back to the aisle and the lady was printing stickers. I asked her if things were going down more, so she scanned the set and it changed to $35. It was so odd. I would think it would be a global price change and they hunt down the products.

Hoping Wal Mart discounts their stuff tomorrow or so. Crossing my fingers for half price Brick Bounty.

wetwired

Which ones are you missing and can't get? Would it be worth it if I bought here and shipped to you?

I managed to get all of them, I haven't picked up the pteradon one though cause I already a ptreradon from the old sets, not sure if I should get it or not for the colour variation...

I was just saying that's what they told me about the JW sets, chances are it may be a limited run. I've been told the same about Scooby Doo.

A different retailer told me he's heard rumblings of some Ghostbusters reboot sets in the works

Minor, minor progress on the church MOC. I meant to spend the afternoon working on it, but had errands and cleaning to do. But hey, progress is progress.

The organ, all into place and finished off. Sorry it ain't green, Wetwired.

The dilapidated pews of the church. Some are intact, some are broken and worn.

I am trying to design it with an entire corner of the church ripped out and broken. Once the outer walls are done, I plan on having the roof broken apart on top as well, with some holes here and there.

I do have some brick built stained glass windows to put somewhere on the building. And I am thinking of making a giant cross to put on the back wall as it breaks apart.
Between the church and graveyard, maybe I am going overboard with the religious imagery. But I am just thinking of lots of horror films while working on this.

Minor, minor progress on the church MOC. I meant to spend the afternoon working on it, but had errands and cleaning to do. But hey, progress is progress.

I do have some brick built stained glass windows to put somewhere on the building. And I am thinking of making a giant cross to put on the back wall as it breaks apart.
Between the church and graveyard, maybe I am going overboard with the religious imagery. But I am just thinking of lots of horror films while working on this.

Dying to see it when completed.

glaurung

I am not saying that the family dwelling is unbearably ugly. It's just that I am more of a Simpsons fan than a LEGO fan. And the color of the house does change in the TV series (not just based on the time of day or light). Why LEGO chose that particular dull shade of brown is beyond me. In plastic it looks doubly ugly.

The Kwik-E-Mart wall color is a lot better.

The Halloween church moc is so utterly grand so far that it's kind of crushing. Suddenly my own moc designs feel slightly pointless by comparison.

Also I've now begun the process of obsessively checking target to see if I can catch the darkseid set on clearance at an acceptable margin. Ugh I want it.

We had a crushed-box black manta set for like thirty but idk if I want to buy it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom