• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Seriously on the fence to grab the at-dp today to get the small one with it. I love walkers, and been eying this set for a while. But just back from two weeks Portugal so maybe i should not spent more money this month

Rootbeer

Banned
steampunk castle? So basically Narshe from Final Fantasy VI? :)

Please be true. I love castle/medieval and like to see them bring it back every few years. 2016 sounds right.

Steampunk Castle theme in 2016?

This I need to see.

steampunk castle? So basically Narshe from Final Fantasy VI? :)

1098.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not going to watch the review, as I usually won't on any set I plan on getting to avoid any "spoilers" of the build, so to speak. I still plan on getting the set as my wife and I are fans of the show. I didn't really expect the build itself to be super captivating or advanced but rather a set that is just a neat display piece and nod to the show for us fans.

to me it just looks like a poor diorama as a holding spot for a bunch of custom minifigs. It barely looks like their apartment, so if I bought it I'd have to mod it otherwise I'd go crazy. And it seems very expensive for what you get - £50 in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVDKWXI/

Gorilla Grood goes bananas is £37.50 on amazon. Is that a good price or does anyone think it will go cheaper?

dunno but i had my eye on that set for a loooong time now and it never really dropped MUCH in price so... I actually only want Flash & Captain Cold, bigfig Grodd would be a bonus i guess... time to hit up BrickLink and see how much they go for separately i guess.

Ponn

Banned
dunno but i had my eye on that set for a loooong time now and it never really dropped MUCH in price so... I actually only want Flash & Captain Cold, bigfig Grodd would be a bonus i guess... time to hit up BrickLink and see how much they go for separately i guess.

If you can get it on sale its a good set. It was $10 off on Amazon for awhile but I think it went back up. The figs are great, The bat-mech is ok but with a little modding it could be pretty awesome. The invisible jet is great to use for clear stand parts if you have any ships you want to display.

Has anyone here actually paid marked up prices to get an out of print set? If you would what set would you consider?

ghostmind

If you can get it on sale its a good set. It was $10 off on Amazon for awhile but I think it went back up. The figs are great, The bat-mech is ok but with a little modding it could be pretty awesome. The invisible jet is great to use for clear stand parts if you have any ships you want to display.

Has anyone here actually paid marked up prices to get an out of print set? If you would what set would you consider?

UCS Falcon was my largest OOP purchase, followed by Green Grocer.

My OOP wish list these days consists of smaller Star Wars sets I missed during my Dark Age, but if I saw a good deal on a UCS Star Destroyer or Y-Wing (among others), I might jump on it.

Jimbro72

Since expanding my LEGO collecting beyond just SW two and half yrs ago, the only two sets I've purchased on ebay that were OOP were MMV and the Winter Village Post Office. Both were right after they were sold out everywhere else, so the markup up I paid wasn't much at all. For a long time (and still do on occasion), I keep checking for my 2 biggest holes in my collection, the first UCS X-Wing and the Death Star 2 set and I just can't bring myself to pay that kind of a money for those sets.

Sort of. I bought Medieval Market Village and the Mill Village Raid for slightly more than original prices. Bricklinked Imperial Flagship, Market Street, Café Corner and Green Grocer at probably around $200-300 each plus existing parts. Also got the Endor bunker set for above retail but not too bad.

Generally, it seems that sets either hover around the original prices (when counting inflation etc) or take off to ridiculous prices. While I'm mostly caught up on stuff, I can consider buying a neat set for slightly more, just for the effort of someone holding on to it. But other stuff is just crazy.

Out of the released sets, I'd like to have Taj Mahal simply because it's so damn majestic. But it's also pretty damn expensive, and it's probably not much easier to bricklink since there's a ton of parts.

Ponn

Banned
Interesting stuff, thanks. Yeah i'm considering buying an oop set. I've been eyeing Grand Emporium but it gets alot of bad talk not really sure it's worth it. I'm considering one or two of the oop Winter village sets though, Post Office and either Bakery or Toy Shop.

Taj Mahal, jeepers. I see that pop up on AWD once in awhile for like 4 or 5k. I can't remember but its a price that makes me choke everytime I see it. Even funnier when it disappears meaning someone actually bought it.

to me it just looks like a poor diorama as a holding spot for a bunch of custom minifigs. It barely looks like their apartment, so if I bought it I'd have to mod it otherwise I'd go crazy. And it seems very expensive for what you get - £50 in the UK

Try buying all those minifigs as custom minifigs and that price will seem like a sale. If you don't have much interest in the show like me, then yeah it's not cheap. Still they are very reusuable "custom" minifigs so they carry higher than normal value to me. There are a lot of nice parts in it and expanding the set wouldn't be too expensive as the tan color bricks are plentiful at reasonable prices..

Town Hall now selling at $550 to $600 for NIB.

Haunted House at $450 to $500.

Oh man. If I had the space, I'd seriously think about investing in LEGO. It almost seems like buying modulars, UCS, and creative or whatever category the Haunted House fits in are reasonable investment vehicles. If price doesn't go up significantly, there is relatively very low downside of losing your initial investment (barring a disaster of some sort destroying or damaging your inventory).

The upcoming book, Great LEGO Sets, includes a micro-scale Galaxy Explorer, and it is brilliant.

SupRTmQ.jpg

vfl5QTe.jpg

(credit to Brickset)

I don't see any rare or unqiue pieces in the microbuild. I hope I can make a fleet of those!

Jimbro72

Anyone hoping to pick up the Ewok Village later this fall or before xmas from S@H may be waiting a bit longer. Currently out of stock and says to check back in January. Don't know if I've noticed a set out of stock and say it won't be back in stock for another 5+ months.

Eh i guess for those OOP sets that jump up crazy high in price, it's alright if you're lucky enough to have one extra in your inventory so you can sell it later but... i just don't see ANY way you could actually make a LOT of money doing this. I mean imagine just the kind of storage space you'd need to harbor a TON of those sets.

Sometimes i wonder if there's actually a serious investor out there that is holding on to insane quantities of Lego sets for resale later... Imagine some dude with 100 Haunted Houses, 50 Taj Mahals and 80 UCS Millenium Falcons etc. in his garage ;)

Wish i could afford more than just one extra set once in a while that i MAY sell later on and even then it's kind of a hassle to do so imo.

Taisaijin

Sometimes i wonder if there's actually a serious investor out there that is holding on to insane quantities of Lego sets for resale later... Imagine some dude with 100 Haunted Houses, 50 Taj Mahals and 80 UCS Millenium Falcons etc. in his garage ;)

You mean like this? (Not mine.. but this is a priv investor.)

petshop_hoarder.JPG

DemiMatt

Town Hall now selling at $550 to $600 for NIB.

Haunted House at $450 to $500.

Haunted House has been at that price since it went OOP last year.

Town Hall was around for a while, then the moment it was taken prices spiked to 400 that day. It was crazy considering I just bought it the month before.

One of the most underrated Modulars. The interior is amazing & the first floor has a great build.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Try buying all those minifigs as custom minifigs and that price will seem like a sale. If you don't have much interest in the show like me, then yeah it's not cheap. Still they are very reusuable "custom" minifigs so they carry higher than normal value to me. There are a lot of nice parts in it and expanding the set wouldn't be too expensive as the tan color bricks are plentiful at reasonable prices..

I love the show, I guess I'm just more into the architecture/sculpture aspect of Lego rather than the minifigs, so the relatively poor setting stands out to me.

mojiimbo

Don't know if I've noticed a set out of stock and say it won't be back in stock for another 5+ months.
Similar thing just happened with The Simpsons House I believe. The good news is that Ewok Village should still be available through Amazon and Target in the meantime and it's pretty much guaranteed to come back to S@H in January.

If anyone desperately needed to use/earn VIP points on it I'd recommend calling around ASAP. I know the store here just sold through their remaining stock a few days ago and is under the same restriction.

ghostmind

2016 Star Wars Rumors

Microfighters are back with another 6 entries, including the AT-DP, Ghost, TIE Advanced Prototype and Wookie Gunship from Rebels, and 2 Force Awakens entries.

Battlepacks are also back - 2 from Star Wars Battlefront, and 2 from The Force Awakens

Constraction Figures Wave 2 - 6 new figures in total

Force Awakens sets
"Battle on Takodana" and "The Pirate Transport"

OT sets: Hoth Attack, Bespin Carbon Freezing Chamber, Droid Escape Pod

ROTS set: Obi-Wan's Jedi Interceptor

Finally a Bespin set! Hopefully more to come!

2016 Star Wars Rumors

Microfighters are back with another 6 entries, including the AT-DP, Ghost, TIE Advanced Prototype and Wookie Gunship from Rebels, and 2 Force Awakens entries.

Battlepacks are also back - 2 from Star Wars Battlefront, and 2 from The Force Awakens

Force Awakens sets

Thank goodness there are no Microfighters that stand out to me. That could change depending on the minifig that is included and the force awakens ones.

I'm doing the opposite of you and weening myself off Star Wars sets to focus on Super Hero sets. I'll probably get sucked into some of the Force Awaken sets. Hopefully there won't be too much I want from those movies.

Rootbeer

Banned
All that Star Wars news looking good.

Bespin... hmm... could we FINALLY be getting a new Lando Minifigure? He is a glaring hole in my collection. That Carbon Freezing Chamber set better have Lando!

Or heck, even give us Lando in a microfighter, I don't even care at this point. I need a Lando.

"Droid Escape Pod" from ANH? They just made that set not long ago... it was one of the first LEGO SW sets I bought after my dark ages.

Jimbro72

2016 Star Wars Rumors

Force Awakens sets

Hopefully they do the Carbon Freezing Chamber set justice and not make it some little rinky dink $30 set with not much to it. I'd like to see something similar in size and piece count to Jabba's Palace, at least.

I'm keeping to Star Wars only sets, with the odd exception like the modulars.

It's difficult to scale back, especially when folks here are raving about a set, or JANG posts a stellar review, but LEGO is just one of my hobbies, and I've got to be ready for the next decade of my primary passion, which is Star Wars.

Plus, as you probably know, my LEGO backlog is insane.

I guess I never realized you only collected Star Wars Lego for the most part. I started briefly down the Star Wars rabbit hole and quickly realized I can not afford all those sets as well as the super hero stuff, so I mainly stick to those, modulars, and the occasional sub theme (Monster Hunters, Earth Defense Force, Agents, Galaxy Squad, ect). So far I have passed on all the Simpson modulars for the same reason. While I have lots of room to display my hobby, I still want to keep a somewhat cohesive theme and the Simpsons aesthetic is too much of it's own "thing".

willp2003

Despite not wanting another Droid escape pod set, it will hopefully be a cheap way to get c3po with the leg printing. Carbon chamber sounds good though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Despite not wanting another Droid escape pod set, it will hopefully be a cheap way to get c3po with the leg printing. Carbon chamber sounds good though.

Yeah I really want that updated printing from the Sandcrawler... or... I guess I could just buy the sandcrawler o_O Damn it...

New Bespin set you say? That excites me.

No Wally World clearance today. But they had Batman Harbor Chase. I almost bit because I need Deathstroke, and all those small black boat pieces could be handy for the halloween MOC. But I waited.

I spent all my free money on beer today. I have betrayed LEGOGaf to punish my liver instead.

ghostmind

I guess I never realized you only collected Star Wars Lego for the most part. I started briefly down the Star Wars rabbit hole and quickly realized I can not afford all those sets as well as the super hero stuff, so I mainly stick to those, modulars, and the occasional sub theme (Monster Hunters, Earth Defense Force, Agents, Galaxy Squad, ect). So far I have passed on all the Simpson modulars for the same reason. While I have lots of room to display my hobby, I still want to keep a somewhat cohesive theme and the Simpsons aesthetic is too much of it's own "thing".

Well, I used to collect almost everything - the Star Wars focus only happened this year.

And yes, the SW theme is a big commitment if you want to get them all. I believe this year that theme alone will total over 40 sets.

Just got back from Target and grabbed a Skull Warrior. Would've grabbed more but on budget and I also enjoy getting one set at a time to spread out my enjoyment.

Gotta screen print tonight then I'll build the dude.

BBT is available on S@H so I got one. Apparently I also get a Winter Soldier, they must have had problems selling them off with just the Helicarrier. Nice, I guess.

That takes care of one order with free shipping. I'd like to make another, but I'm not sure exactly what else I want. Mystery Mansion is kind of nice and Scooby Doo won't release in stores around here, but it would just be for parts. I'm also looking at Desert Outpost, Skyra's castle and other stuff that is in retail and will eventually get cheaper. Maybe I should stick with my loose "exclusives only" S@H policy.

wetwired

After posting this in a completely unrelated forum by accident...

Scooby Doo sets ordered, I had about AUD $70 in VIP points so it came down to about AUD$242 for all 5 sets. Not as bad as I expected after the price of the JW sets.

I also seem to have gotten a free Winter Soldier and some Friends "Pop Star Red Carpet" set

Edit> shit, I just realized I forgot to order BBT, oh well I'm in no hurry as I actively dislike the show, I just wanted it for the minifig parts

Temple of Airjitzu is coming in 14 days for VIP:s, right? I'll hold on to the rest of my spending cash. Probably won't get another freebie but that's a set I really want and spending as much on one or two parts packs seems like a silly thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom