• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruxtpin

Banned
Went ahead and ordered the rest of the Jurassic World sets from S@H and used ny remaining veep point for a discount. All this talk of a limited run and then being sold out so quickly lit a fire. Will probably order two on a couple of them.

Blizzard

Banned
Given the normal super high quality of LEGO pieces, I was a bit surprised when building Pet Shop to run into some 1x1 flat pieces for a tile floor that were not the same size. If I recall correctly, the 1x1 brown flat pieces were a tiny bit smaller than the 1x1 off-white flat pieces. This seemed to be the case, no matter which 1x1 flat pieces of that color I looked at. Fortunately it did not make a huge difference, but it was unexpected.

At least one of the normal wall pieces (say, 1x4 tall pieces) also seemed to make the wall less flush when turned one orientation. I don't know if I was imagining that though.

On a brighter note, I went to the Downtown Disney LEGO store for the first time and toured through the various walls. I didn't build anything and didn't buy anything, so apparently I have self-discipline after all.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Doesn't seem like we'll be getting the Scooby Doo sets in August here in Belgium. Is there a site that tracks the release dates across territories?

Jokerland spotted at Wal Mart this morning. And as I was leaving they were doing clearance checks in another aisle. Hoping things go down more for when my shift ends. And no one else snags stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are the different bonus offers in lego stores (UK) at the moment? Wondering whether to get the Ferrari this month or wait until August.

also ordered Trevi Fountain from Amazon as they have it for £27, but not expected for a few weeks. As it'll go on the backlog that isn't a big deal.

edit: BBT out on 1st August though. (but it does annoy me a little that the door to the apartment is completely in the wrong place. Could make a fun tweakable mod though)

ghostmind

Now I'm feeling the need to stop at my local Walmart just to see if I can find anything worth while on clearance.

I'm feeling a little bummed because I didn't do an annual summer Walmart LEGO deals tour, like I have in previous years, but I'm trying to keep to my new Star Wars (and limited exceptions) decision.

Rootbeer

Banned
TRU had joker polybag today.

Target had lots of good clearance. I'll post my haul later. Lots of 30 and 50% off. Picked up a variety. Agents, etc.

The darkseid set was 34 dollars. Already owned that though so left it. Go hunting!

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright. I wasn't able to buy everything that was clearanced but I cherry picked what suited me and my existing collection best. Couldn't go all-out because I'm getting a fair bit of stuff on Aug 1st and Sept 4th as well.

TRU:
Joker Bumper Car Poly @ 3.99

Target (all clearance):
31018 Highway Cruiser, 129pcs @ $3.20
70168 Drillex Diamond Job, 312pcs @ 14.98
41052 Ariel's Magical Kiss, 250pcs @ 9.98
70169 Agent Stealth Patrol, 475pcs @ 23.98

Sets I did not buy but saw:
Ice Mammoth @ 44.98 -- this one pained me to pass, but yeah
Darkseid Invasion @ 34 -- already owned this one, but seeing this is gonna make some people super happy
Tons of Mega Bloks on clearance
Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers, MLP Buy 1 Get 1 50% off (on top of some already being clearanced -- not LEGO items
etc.

I'm sure some stores will have other items on clearance. I got there over 2 hours after they opened so it's possible some stuff sold out before I arrived. There was already another person buying up clearance items while I was there, too :p

I'm feeling a little bummed because I didn't do an annual summer Walmart LEGO deals tour, like I have in previous years, but I'm trying to keep to my new Star Wars (and limited exceptions) decision.

I must have missed that... what was your new Star Wars decision? ;) (though i can somewhat guess the outlines lol)

ghostmind

I must have missed that... what was your new Star Wars decision? ;) (though i can somewhat guess the outlines lol)

I'm keeping to Star Wars only sets, with the odd exception like the modulars.

It's difficult to scale back, especially when folks here are raving about a set, or JANG posts a stellar review, but LEGO is just one of my hobbies, and I've got to be ready for the next decade of my primary passion, which is Star Wars.

Plus, as you probably know, my LEGO backlog is insane.

Ponn

Banned

It's difficult to scale back, especially when folks here are raving about a set, or JANG posts a stellar review, but LEGO is just one of my hobbies, and I've got to be ready for the next decade of my primary passion, which is Star Wars.

I feel for you, the next 5 years are going to be hard on Star Wars fan wallets. Never asked in here but does anyone in here game? I was just thinking if you are a star wars fan are you going to be playing the new Battlefront? I'm not a big multiplayer person but I do want to play that new Battlefront game.

I'm going to build Pet Shop this weekend but I wanted to start on my backlog today. Should I build Joker Steamroller (I cannot believe this has been sitting in my backlog this long), Shuttle Tydirium or Quinjet 2.0?

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm wondering if some Bionicle is on clearance? I could go for some Protector parts

I checked everything. I personally saw none.

I've got to be ready for the next decade of my primary passion, which is Star Wars.
I hear that... I've already been passing on some Marvel and DC stuff I probably would have bought if not for SW. Not LEGO stuff mind you, but other collecibles. All because I know SW is going to drain me! And that's how I want it :p

Jimbro72

So I take it LEGO is not the only Star Wars thing you collect? I use to do all the toys, busts, even art prints to an extent but now it's just LEGO and all the books, novels, reference books, etc. I have a (not) small SW library going on.

I feel for you, the next 5 years are going to be hard on Star Wars fan wallets. Never asked in here but does anyone in here game? I was just thinking if you are a star wars fan are you going to be playing the new Battlefront? I'm not a big multiplayer person but I do want to play that new Battlefront game.

I'm going to build Pet Shop this weekend but I wanted to start on my backlog today. Should I build Joker Steamroller (I cannot believe this has been sitting in my backlog this long), Shuttle Tydirium or Quinjet 2.0?

I game when time allows (which isn't a whole lot) but I'm pretty much a single player gamer, so I'll be skipping Battlefront, even though it looks pretty sweet. I'm still working through what is left of my PS3/360 backlog before I even think about getting a PS4. Maybe next year....

Amen brother. I'm right there with you. I mainly focus on Star Wars and Modulars. Occasionally I'll get a superhero set to share with my son. September can't come soon enough for us Star Wars fans.

I checked everything. I personally saw none.

Makes sense, thx.

I've seen Bionicle on clearance, but it's only poor Onua.

I love him, but I have so many black CCBS pieces that it wouldn't benefit me at all... I need other colors :-/

On a note of CCBS, any more news on the Star Wars CCBS sets? I keep forgetting they'll be out. I dont even know what month.

My local Target had a bunch of sets on clearance. Most of the stuff and been picked clean. Snagged a Guardians Milano for 49.98, %40 off! They had a bunch of Chima stuff left. Mammoth for 44$ish, big fire dragon thing for 60 and another thing for 25$.

Makes sense, thx.

I've seen Bionicle on clearance, but it's only poor Onua.

I love him, but I have so many black CCBS pieces that it wouldn't benefit me at all... I need other colors :-/

On a note of CCBS, any more news on the Star Wars CCBS sets? I keep forgetting they'll be out. I dont even know what month.

I'm actually curious about this as well. Darth Vader looks really cool

I'm actually curious about this as well. Darth Vader looks really cool

Checked on Eurobricks and it looks like september... possibly?

I'm back and forth about vader, since the Star Wars CCBS stuff will primarily be for parts for me. Parts being mostly the new shin and shoulder pieces.

I'll probably get the new Stormtrooper, Jango (good silver uses), and don't know about vader. Vader has some cool printed armor parts on his arms and legs, but I don't see much I want on him other than his shins. I feel like there may be a later released set that'll work out better.

ghostmind

So I take it LEGO is not the only Star Wars thing you collect? I use to do all the toys, busts, even art prints to an extent but now it's just LEGO and all the books, novels, reference books, etc. I have a (not) small SW library going on.

I game when time allows (which isn't a whole lot) but I'm pretty much a single player gamer, so I'll be skipping Battlefront, even though it looks pretty sweet. I'm still working through what is left of my PS3/360 backlog before I even think about getting a PS4. Maybe next year....

I'm primarily about the LEGO and books as well. I'm buying the novels digitally, and picking up all the reference books that I can, as well as all of the new comics from Marvel. I am toying (rimshot) with the idea of committing to the 6" Black series of figures, but I'm still on the fence about that. I'm also heavily into Star Wars Card Trader, and just ordered my first physical cards (the upcoming Journey to the Force Awakens set) since I collected SW cards as a kid in the early 80's.

I will be picking up Battlefront on both PC and Xbox One. My GT is ghostmind, and my Origin ID is ghostmind13 (I think).

Also picking up Disney Infinity 3.0.

And that's just the beginning!

ghostmind

Checked on Eurobricks and it looks like september... possibly?

I'm back and forth about vader, since the Star Wars CCBS stuff will primarily be for parts for me. Parts being mostly the new shin and shoulder pieces.

I'll probably get the new Stormtrooper, Jango (good silver uses), and don't know about vader. Vader has some cool printed armor parts on his arms and legs, but I don't see much I want on him other than his shins. I feel like there may be a later released set that'll work out better.

Yep, September for Wave 1, and then January for Wave 2 (which is mainly/all Force Awakens characters).

Jimbro72

I'm primarily about the LEGO and books as well. I'm buying the novels digitally, and picking up all the reference books that I can, as well as all of the new comics from Marvel. I am toying (rimshot) with the idea of committing to the 6" Black series of figures, but I'm still on the fence about that. I'm also heavily into Star Wars Card Trader, and just ordered my first physical cards (the upcoming Journey to the Force Awakens set) since I collected SW cards as a kid in the early 80's.

I will be picking up Battlefront on both PC and Xbox One. My GT is ghostmind, and my Origin ID is ghostmind13 (I think).

Also picking up Disney Infinity 3.0.

And that's just the beginning!

Nice! I, too, collected all the cards when I was kid back in the 80's. Seeing as I no longer had them, several years ago I ended up ebaying them all to get complete sets of the ANH, ESB and ROTJ sets, including stickers. I almost got sucked back into the action figures with the 6" line but had to pass. I only have so much time, room and money so I'm keeping it strictly LEGO and books with regards to SW now.

Too keep my post on topic, I stopped on my nearby Walmart and found a bunch of stuff 25-30% off but most of it was stuff I either have or don't care for. I did get the Creator Toy and Grocery Shop for $30. Better price than I've ever seen on Amazon so far.

robochimp

TRU had joker polybag today.

Target had lots of good clearance. I'll post my haul later. Lots of 30 and 50% off. Picked up a variety. Agents, etc.

The darkseid set was 34 dollars. Already owned that though so left it. Go hunting!

My Target seems to fully dedicated to clearances now consisting of raising the price by 25% and then marking them down 30% from there.

Oh well, I did get hive crawler for $18 last year.

Just cuz I hate seeing a page without at least one pic... here's a setup made by a Lego designer

tumblr_nsb3dee4fN1r8i88uo1_1280.jpg

Not cool....being that blatant in supporting the manufacturing of illegal bootlegs. I am kinda getting irritated that this thread is becoming so rampant in discussion and purchase of exact copy thievery of Lego property. Enough that I am risking being disliked for being a party pooper by bringing up my irritation.

Just got back from a vacation so catching up on past posts when I came upon this. While I am extremely disappointed to read something like this in what has always been a great tension-free thread, I feel as though I should respond.

I'm not mad. It's all good. Every hobby has it's purists and that's great. I'm not just a fan of Lego though. I will continue to buy Lego as well as off brand versions of characters. Some Lego may manufacture, most they do not. I must point out that this situation bears little resemblance to your figure-GAF thread closing because I'm not constantly posting nude statues of questionable aged characters over and over even after mod intervention. I will continue to post about my Lego spoils, both foreign and domestic whenever I feel like it. I suggest you ignore my posts instead of handing me over to the mods, but that is entirely up to you. You do whatever you think you have to do but the threat thing is not
De
cool!

But that's enough about that unpleasantness. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth even having to discuss something so "serious" in what has always been such an escapist thread for me and others, I'm guessing. So let us never speak of it again on this forum. You can must PM me if you want because I won't be ignoring you :p

Onto our deals!

OMG, Target is having some great....well, you guys are on point :p I grabbed the last Darkseid Invasion after passing it over for 2 weeks in a row.

Here is a handy dandy Target markdown guide. I reference it all the time for video games and Lego. When something goes on sale, I take a look at how many there are left and weigh that vs demand and if supply will last another week or two. Waiting for Darkseid Invasion to hit the sweet spot worked great, but getting the last set was maybe cutting it closer than I would have liked! I have used it to get some video games for less than $5. Finding great sales are a hobby within a hobby for all my hobbies!

http://www.allthingstarget.com/clearance-info/

My Target is slow at getting new sets. I want the Carnage and Scooby Doo sets, but t will likely be mid-August before my store gets them. I am going to do a separate display case for my haunted house/Ghostbusters/Scooby Doo sets. Some Monster Hunters might find their way in there as well.

Wetwired, your X-Files going viral with Fox and Scully is amazing. I showed my wife and I was like "I kind of know the guy that did these!". Even though I don't know you at all, sometimes it feels like I do. That goes for pretty much every regular poster in this OT.

Also, I'm headed to Chicago Comicon in August and was curious if anyone knows if Lego does anything there? Last time I went, there was no Lego presence but there were 2 or 3 booths of people selling custom minifigs (for outrageous prices). Most looked terrible, but a couple looked great. I'll at least get some pics and post em here even if I don't buy them.

Lastly, we should have another MOC contest soon. It's been awhile and I always enjoy those.

No more discounts at Wal Mart after work, but they did get Mystery Machine in. Now to hunt down the mansion. Or pray for it as a birthday gift in a few weeks.

Rootbeer

Banned
thanks for that target deals website. useful!

wow the blogger on that site found the agents helicopter on clearance :( I did not see that set anywhere. Gah! What a nice set to find on clearance... darn it.

wow the blogger on that site found the agents helicopter on clearance :( I did not see that set anywhere. Gah! What a nice set to find on clearance... darn it.

Damn. I would rather have found that deal instead of Darkseid Invasion.

Although the Darkseid set does give me the last few figures I needed to make a Justice League team display.

My Target must have switched to 50% clearance overnight. Everything was gone by the time I got there after work. Strangely Darkseid is still full price at my Target, and plenty still on the shelf.

ghostmind

The HUGE controversies with LEGO never end!

When I read the title, I thought it may have been race related. It never really clicked to me that Duplo figures only come with skin tones instead of the classic yellow of minifigs.

a2f8b7b3a405839bf7b218d8b83c4a7d4c0f2ef2.png

Why Some Parents Are Dismayed Over Lego’s New Wheelchair-Using Figure

Uh...couldn't a person just put a kid figure in the wheelchair?

It's easier for them to be all indignant and complain.

Seriously, Millennials should be renamed Generation C.

Ponn

Banned

PS4 user, only because Taco Bell gave me one free. I still rarely touch it though because of my eyes, mainly only games that I can play remote on Vita. Oh snap, reminds me I have to run in and preorder that Lego Avengers game for the Iron man fig soon.

Holy Crapola that Joker polybag was only 3.99? I could have swore that RR polybag last year was like $5. If they are straight up selling them I will buy multiples. Do we have a release date on those CMF monster figs? Are those Sept or Oct release? I'm afraid of those going really fast and being popular.

It's easier for them to be all indignant and complain.

Seriously, Millennials should be renamed Generation C.

I think you mean Generation W, for whine.

Made a bit more progress on the church. Most of the front and sides are done, including the stained glass windows. All that is left is the crumbling back wall behind the pulpit and the steeple. Oh, and a roof of course.
After that, it is time to make the grounds that the church will rest on.

But, my brain has had enough thinking for tonight. Time to build the rest of BBT and then the Mystery Machine.

Jimbro72

Not going to watch the review, as I usually won't on any set I plan on getting to avoid any "spoilers" of the build, so to speak. I still plan on getting the set as my wife and I are fans of the show. I didn't really expect the build itself to be super captivating or advanced but rather a set that is just a neat display piece and nod to the show for us fans.

Not going to watch the review, as I usually won't on any set I plan on getting to avoid any "spoilers" of the build, so to speak. I still plan on getting the set as my wife and I are fans of the show. I didn't really expect the build itself to be super captivating or advanced but rather a set that is just a neat display piece and nod to the show for us fans.

I am a fan of the show as well. Whenever I finish the build it will be on display for a short amount of time, then it is just for parts after that.

Man, that Easter Island micro build is awesome. Ingenious.

As for Grand Palace Theater, it looks awesome, but is there anything inside or on the back side?

You need 4 of the set to add depth and an interior. It looks pretty much like a facade.

Given the normal super high quality of LEGO pieces, I was a bit surprised when building Pet Shop to run into some 1x1 flat pieces for a tile floor that were not the same size. If I recall correctly, the 1x1 brown flat pieces were a tiny bit smaller than the 1x1 off-white flat pieces. This seemed to be the case, no matter which 1x1 flat pieces of that color I looked at. Fortunately it did not make a huge difference, but it was unexpected.

At least one of the normal wall pieces (say, 1x4 tall pieces) also seemed to make the wall less flush when turned one orientation. I don't know if I was imagining that though.

On a brighter note, I went to the Downtown Disney LEGO store for the first time and toured through the various walls. I didn't build anything and didn't buy anything, so apparently I have self-discipline after all.

There is a certain tolerance LEGO allows. Can't remember what it is.
What surprised me is the size differences of plates. I bought a bunch of plates in two colors from PAB. I stick the plates together to save space. After a dozen plates or so, the height difference was significant. Probably doesn't matter in general as I don't think LEGO has any sets that stack 3 or more plates at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom