• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Thanks guys! Feeling the love :3

I've gotten out of deep rabbit holes before, with transformers and joes and marvel figs.

I've hopefully gained some insight and self-control.

tZy2q6J.gif

dk1T4r8.gif

Ludovico

sigh....

Hello LEGOGAF, I humbly come to you for help.

I teach high school science (biology/environmental sci), and I'm looking for some cool, minimalist desk decorations. Namely, something LEGO.
Last year I kept a Nanoblocks elephant out in the open, but he was super fragile and kids had to be relatively close to appreciate it.

So. I looked around at Target and it seems everything is branded. Cool, I could rock a Hobbit or Star Wars figure, but none of them caught my interest
and the majority were from the newer movies, but I digress
Amazon searches show TONS of these sets, but if anyone could give me a little bit more direction, I would appreciate it. Something low key and serene if possible.

Thanks!

ghostmind

sigh....

I teach high school science (biology/environmental sci), and I'm looking for some cool, minimalist desk decorations. Namely, something LEGO.
Last year I kept a Nanoblocks elephant out in the open, but he was super fragile and kids had to be relatively close to appreciate it.

So. I looked around at Target and it seems everything is branded. Cool, I could rock a Hobbit or Star Wars figure, but none of them caught my interest
Amazon searches show TONS of these sets, but if anyone could give me a little bit more direction, I would appreciate it. Something low key and serene if possible.

Thanks!

What about an Architecture set?

The Louvre is coming out at the start of September.

or, the LEGO Ideas Birds set, which is out now...

sigh....

Thanks!

I was about to say Research Institute, but it is already out of print. :(

If you wait until September 1st there is the upcoming Wall-E set. Or perhaps get Ghostbusters Ecto-1, designed by GAFs own Wetwired.

Architecture sets are a good idea as well, and easily found too. Ghostmind is on point with that.

Might I also recommend Hulkbuster. It is a good price, a great build, super duper posable, and sturdy as hell.

DhZgR0Ul.jpg

Ludovico

Thanks for the responses guys!

I would love an architecture set, but the few I keep checking out (falling water and the japanese temples) are about double my budget.

ghostmind, that bird set looks awesome and I think I can swing that.

PhoncipleBone, Wall-E would be EXCELLENT, especially considering my content area. Going check prices, hope I'm not in for a shock...

Edit - Order placed. 21301 Birds Model Kit and a Manta Ray from Nanoblocks, both arriving for Tuesday.

Good call on Birds. It is a classy looking set.

Wall-E is going to be about $60. If you want Architecture in that price range, White House is a fantastic set. Others on here speak very highly of the UN Headquarters, but I do not have it yet myself.

But do look at the OP for some set recommendations. They are broken down by price point (as of the time of the thread creation), and were compiled by asking for recommendations by the regulars here. Most everything in there comes very recommended.

If by some strange coincidence you stumble upon a Lex Luthor Power Armor set from 2012 at a reasonable price, snag it. MSRP was $20, and that set is kind of a baseline for inexpensive sets that deliver the goods on here. Hulkbuster is the new Lex Power Armor around here.

Vargas

Phon ain't joking about being an enabler, I have bought a bunch of sets over the last year. It has slowed down but I lately I have bought a lot more sets. Just got the Architecture White House and have saved up the cash for the new Star Wars sets.

What is the game plan for everyone for September 4th? Going to TRUs or hoping that Shop@home will have them?

Phon ain't joking about being an enabler, I have bought a bunch of sets over the last year. It has slowed down but I lately I have bought a lot more sets. Just got the Architecture White House and have saved up the cash for the new Star Wars sets.

What is the game plan for everyone for September 4th? Going to TRUs or hoping that Shop@home will have them?

I want my instant gratification so I plan on leaving work and heading to TRU to get the set with Captain Phasma.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good call on Birds. It is a classy looking set.

Wall-E is going to be about $60. If you want Architecture in that price range, White House is a fantastic set. Others on here speak very highly of the UN Headquarters, but I do not have it yet myself.

But do look at the OP for some set recommendations. They are broken down by price point (as of the time of the thread creation), and were compiled by asking for recommendations by the regulars here. Most everything in there comes very recommended.

If by some strange coincidence you stumble upon a Lex Luthor Power Armor set from 2012 at a reasonable price, snag it. MSRP was $20, and that set is kind of a baseline for inexpensive sets that deliver the goods on here. Hulkbuster is the new Lex Power Armor around here.

UN headquarters is really nice. Lots of clean lines but also some neat snot work to create walkways/ entrances etc. I also bought trevi fountain but haven't built it yet. Liking the look of the horses

Nitemare1

so I picked up Darkseid invasion. I know deep down it was just for the minifigs but sizing up the ship I get a very star wars feel from it. Doesn't seem like most of the other vehicles that have been coming with the dc/marvel sets.

so I picked up Darkseid invasion. I know deep down it was just for the minifigs but sizing up the ship I get a very star wars feel from it. Doesn't seem like most of the other vehicles that have been coming with the dc/marvel sets.

Still waiting for it to go on clearance so i can do the same, mainly for the figs :(

Alrighty, LEGO GAF. I went by TRU and snagged the final Hive Crawlers that were on clearance for $20. Anyone on here interested in it? One of them is for Amiibro, and I have already been in contact with him.

If anyone else wants the second one, just let me know. I am just looking for a trade of similar value to what I paid plus shipping. Or a gift card or something. Either way, an even steven swap.

EDIT: And it is now spoken for.

sigh....

Thanks!

I second LEGO Ideas bird set. Architecture sets are nice too, but they are pricey for what you get.

LEGO Creator sets have nice brick built animals or nice little house scenes.
http://www.lego.com/en-us/creator

Mixels are nice interesting builds. They run $5 each.
http://www.lego.com/en-us/mixels/products/series-5

You could always go old school and just get classic creative brick boxes. They have a book of things you can build with mostly basic bricks.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Classic-ByTheme

Ghostbusters set is cool. It was created by a regular poster, wetwired, in this thread.

Scooby Doo and/or the "Halloween" minifig series would be great for the fall.
You could then get things like the gingerbread house or other xmas sets leading into the holidays.

There are also the Christmas advent calendars that have micro builds or a minifig for each day.

Wall-E

This is serene :)
but extremely pricey and large

Target here finally had the series 14 figures out this morning. They were on the bottom two pegs of the display with the Minecraft blind bags. So everything on the display was black, which made it hard to tell if they had the LEGO figures unless you looked really closely.

I grabbed 16 bags blindly. I am only missing the two zombies, pirate, mad scientist, and skeleton suit guy. For duplicates in the blind grab I got three Sasquatch figures, two spider ladies, two gargoyles, and two plant monsters. Spider Lady is meh for duplicate. Very happy about multiple gargoyles though.

Next trip I will take my time and feel things out, but getting two thirds of the figures in one blind grab isn't bad, especially for a series that many of them I want multiples.

They are nailing it with these small seasonal sets the past couple years.

Lots of nice parts packed into such a small set. Black door, new sprout plant thingies, bucket, broom, witch hat, etc.

Yeah, disappointed in the lack of printing on the pumpkins, but I'm sure cost was a factor. Scooby Doo pumpkin heads would be even better, but I'm sure the cost for those is even higher than the printing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Make sure to hop on those seasonal sets immediately... they sell out within days and don't restock like other sets. Might be lucky if they restock it once. I'm talking about S@H, retail locations might be different

Fishlake

That little Halloween set looks really nice. I've been working on organizing my Lego bricks but after that I want to set up a small fantasy world and I think it will be a nice touch.

Side note that I can't believe I can actually post now.

Ponn

Banned

Gotta say i'm kinda cold on this. No real unique pieces from what I see, not enough to do anything with anyways. I mean, using a generic bucket when they could have at least used that new neat trick or treat bucket with that CMF 14 fig. Generic skeleton, generic orange heads for pumpkins. Only one useful fig and its meh, they could have done better to make a trick or treater fig. I'm not gonna go outta my way to get it but I will prioritize other things like the CMF line over it. Hoping the other sets are better like the last ones.

Amiibro

Woo hoo local walmart must have found a old Lego set in the back recently cause I just walked out with Battle for Ninjago City for $48.

I have been eyeing this too, looks like I'll be ording that new set from S@H after all !!

Rootbeer

Banned
I wonder if someone will complain how "curvy" the girl witch is. It wasn't apparent on the front where the bucket is covering her.

my complaint is that her costume sucks :p

There appears to be some kind of dress or skirt but the legs don't show it. poor choice of torso.

Gotta say i'm kinda cold on this. No real unique pieces from what I see, not enough to do anything with anyways. I mean, using a generic bucket when they could have at least used that new neat trick or treat bucket with that CMF 14 fig. Generic skeleton, generic orange heads for pumpkins. Only one useful fig and its meh, they could have done better to make a trick or treater fig. I'm not gonna go outta my way to get it but I will prioritize other things like the CMF line over it. Hoping the other sets are better like the last ones.

on second thought. you're not wrong there... as usual Lego sets a LOT of the mood here with it's box art/background printing

Definitely getting that!

I have the previous incarnation/release of it, but it's stilled in my backlog in a sealed box. Anyone have 7965: Millennium Falcon to compare to the new one? They look very similar with some tweeks such as the new circle plate with the hole in it. The "jets" on the new version is pretty cool. Looks like it will be a pain to put all those trans light blue pieces on a long tube.

http://brickset.com/sets/7965-1/Millennium-Falcon

Definitely getting that!

I have the previous incarnation/release of it, but it's stilled in my backlog in a sealed box. Anyone have 7965: Millennium Falcon to compare to the new one? They look very similar with some tweeks such as the new circle plate with the hole in it. The "jets" on the new version is pretty cool. Looks like it will be a pain to put all those trans light blue pieces on a long tube.

http://brickset.com/sets/7965-1/Millennium-Falcon

It looks like the build is like 90% similar to 7965, with the front teeth and sides looking better and more detailed. 7965 was a damn good set, but I am not sure if I feel the need to go and grab this one immediately since it doesn't seem different enough or improved enough.

Now, Poe's Sex Wing will be the must get. It looks like it has some similar techniques to the 2012 Sex Wing, but areas just different enough to be unique. And the color scheme is pretty awesome.

Rootbeer

Banned
Death Star (once again) available for order

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Death-Star-10188

Also, I don't know where people are seeing the pics of this but supposedly Phasma's minifigure head has no printing underneath the helmet. Super disappointing.

this guy has a few pics and videos of the new sets on his instagram (Mexico)
https://instagram.com/pacoamaya/

Kylo Ren minifig has a printed head so you can put the hood on him. Has a mask/helmet for when hood is off. I like that! I think the compromise they made on his lightsaber could have been better. I like this one even though it looks too bulky:

Uop2ZKq.jpg

TheFuzz

Hello all.

After browsing for months and waiting for approval, my account was activated here at Gaf! LegoGaf was one of the main reasons I wanted to join.

I look forward to wallowing in this wallet-emptying hobby with all of you moving forward!

Just a little about me, I'm a 30yr old AFOL from Atlanta. Was in my dark ages for 15 years... Then my wife bought me the DeLorean for Christmas two years ago. I was fine with only that, then I received the Ecto-1. It was over. Six modulars later, I'm knee deep into the hobby again. Thanks a lot WetWired! ;)

LOVING those seasonal sets, btw. Ghostmind, you're a treasure.

Hello all.

After browsing for months and waiting for approval, my account was activated here at Gaf! LegoGaf was one of the main reasons I wanted to join.

I look forward to wallowing in this wallet-emptying hobby with all of you moving forward!

Just a little about me, I'm a 30yr old AFOL from Atlanta. Was in my dark ages for 15 years... Then my wife bought me the DeLorean for Christmas two years ago. I was fine with only that, then I received the Ecto-1. It was over. Six modulars later, I'm knee deep into the hobby again. Thanks a lot WetWired! ;)

Welcome aboard, keep your nose clean and you will be fine. :)

Hello all.

Well, you already jumped in the deep end. Congrats, and welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom